A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Obama Adminstration Uses Coercion to Encourage Outsourcing - hmmm

Posted: Sep 01, 2011

Gibson Guitars, accused of using illegally imported wood, a claim that Gibson refutes and for which the company has filed documentation to the contrary,  has now been told that their problems "would go away" if they used labor in Madagascar. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/sep/1/picket-gibson-guitar-ceo-obama-admin-told-us-our-p/

For those of you brave enough to access this site...you can hear an account of the entire debacle from the lips of Gibson CEO directly.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/update-gibson-guitar-ceo-says-feds-told-him-to-outsource-labor-to-madagascar/

Out of context - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The company is being investigated for illegally importing exotic wood. There are considerations about import laws, wood as a resource -vs- guitars as a product, not an encouragement to offshore. Gibson will get their day in court.

Bush administration law enforced - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
On May 22, 2008, the U.S. Congress passed a landmark amendment to the 100 year-old Lacey Act, originally enacted to prohibit the transportation of illegally captured animals or wildlife products across state lines. The new law extended this protection to plants - including timber, paper, and other forest products - thereby giving the U.S. government a powerful tool to eliminate illegally sourced wood and increase transparency in the global forest product supply chain.

You're omitting an important fact. - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
Gibson's wood is documented to be in keeping with the Lacey Act.
You missed the point... - hmmm
[ In Reply To ..]
My point had NOTHING to do with the wood. It had to do with the Department of Justice encouraging Gibson to manufacture outside of the United States.

Did you even listen to the interview?

Or maybe you don't care - you might be one of the 39% that still approves of Obama.

I got your point that you were trying to blame Obama - for enforcing a Bush era law.
[ In Reply To ..]
As confirmed by your last sentence.
What? You're blaming Obama for the - offshoring disaster? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Outsourcing for Gibson - AnnieOakley
[ In Reply To ..]
I heard about this yesterday on the talk radio station. What you said is true about the outsourcing from Gibson. Imagine that.
Thank you! At least there is some sanity here. - hmmm
[ In Reply To ..]
And a few folks who chose never to drink the Kool-Aid.
And where in the Lacey Act... - hmmm
[ In Reply To ..]
does it give the Department of Justice or any other part of the administration the power to coerce a company to relocate their operations offshore? I didn't see it.
That is a figment of your imagination, - not what the feds are doing.
[ In Reply To ..]
As usual, you are trying to make this as simplistic as possible since that is the only way false assertions can even begin to stand the light of scrutiny. As the NPR article reports (the other side of the story), the Lacey Act is not the only law at play here. The labor issue relates to specifications found in various trade agreements that require exported raw and processed timber products to be cut, logged, reported, in some cases processed, and transported by LOCAL labor. Specifically, in this case, these various stages of exporting Madagascar woods (assuming they are NOT endangered species that violate the Lacey Act...evidently not the case with Gibson's current ebony and rosewood litigation) should have been carried out by Malagesy labor. Gibson is being investigated for multiple violations of the Lacey Act AND regional trade agreements. Within this context, it would make perfect sense that the feds may have advised him that, "had he used Malagesy labor, this would have gone away". Got it? Your conclusion that the Obama administration is trying to "coerce" outsourcing of labor to Madagascar is, of course, false, false, false. What they are trying to "coerce" is compliance with longstanding trade agreements. Last time I checked, that is a perfectly legitimate pursuit of the US Department of Justice. It's in their job description. Capice?

IF (and that is a very big IF) the feds ever said anything remotely similar to what the CEO claims, it would have been said within the context of those trade law violations. That is the problem with Fox/Beck and buddies' reporting out of context. It may fool their vulnerable and highly receptive audiences into believing half-truths, but those of us residing outside that camp....not so much.
And you omitted the other side to the story, so - here it is.
[ In Reply To ..]
Of note is the passage where the Justice Department asserts that Gibson KNOWINGLY used banned ebony and rosewood produced via illegal timber harvests. Paperwork Gibson's CEO produced evidently failed to trace the supply chain of the wood all the way back to the tree, which is required by law. Oh, and BTW, the statement allegedly made by one of those infamous Fox/Beck unnamed federal agents has just about subzero credibility within your "coersion" context. In fact, the labor issue seems to be entirely superfluous to the import/export of endangered species woods.

Why Gibson Guitar was Raided by the Justice Department

Last week federal marshals raided the Gibson Guitar Corporation in Tennessee. It wasn't the first time. The government appears to be preparing to charge the famous builder of instruments with trafficking in illegally obtained wood. It's a rare collision of music and environmental regulation.

In the hottest part of an August Tennessee day last Thursday, Gibson Guitar CEO Henry Juszkiewicz stood out in the full sun for 30 minutes and vented to the press about the events of the day before.

"We had a raid," he said, "with federal marshals that were armed, that came in, evacuated our factory, shut down production, sent our employees home and confiscated wood."

The raids at two Nashville facilities and one in Memphis recalled a similar raid in Nashville in November 2009, when agents seized a shipment of ebony from Madagascar. They were enforcing the Lacey Act, a century-old endangered species law that was amended in 2008 to include plants as well as animals. But Juszkiewicz says the government won't tell him exactly how "or if" his company has violated that law.

"We're in this really incredible situation. We have been implicated in wrongdoing and we haven't been charged with anything," he says. "Our business has been injured to millions of dollars. And we don't even have a court we can go to and say, 'Look, here's our position.'"

The U.S. Justice Department won't comment about the case it's preparing, but a court motion filed in June asserts Gibson's Madagascar ebony was contraband. It quotes emails that seem to show Gibson taking steps to maintain a supply chain that's been connected to illegal timber harvests.

Andrea Johnson, director of forest programs for the Environmental Investigation Agency in Washington, says the Lacey Act requires end users of endangered wood to certify the legality of their supply chain all the way to the trees. EIA's independent investigations have concluded that Gibson knowingly imported tainted wood.

"Gibson clearly understood the risks involved," says Johnson. "Was on the ground in Madagascar getting a tour to understand whether they could possibly source illegally from that country. And made a decision in the end that they were going to source despite knowing that there was a ban on exports of ebony and rosewood."

Gibson vigorously denies these allegations, maintaining that all of its purchases from Madagascar have complied with U.S. and Malagasy law. A company attorney says Gibson has presented documents to support that claim and that the recent raid seized legally obtained wood from India. He adds that the company stopped importing wood from Madagascar in 2009.

Chris Martin, Chairman and CEO of the C.F. Martin Guitar Co. in Nazareth, Pa., says that when he first heard guitars built from Madagascar rosewood, he dreamed it might be the long-sought substitute for Brazilian rosewood, whose trade was banned in the 1990s due to over-harvest. Then the situation in Madagascar changed.

"There was a coup," Martin says. "What we heard was the international community has come to the conclusion that the coup created an illegitimate government. That's when we said, 'Okay, we can not buy any more of this wood.'"

And while some say the Lacey Act is burdensome, Martin supports it: "I think it's a wonderful thing. I think illegal logging is appalling. It should stop. And if this is what it takes unfortunately to stop unscrupulous operators, I'm all for it. It's tedious, but we're getting through it."

Others in the guitar world aren't so upbeat. Attorney Ronald Bienstock says the Gibson raids have aroused the guitar builders he represents because the Lacey Act is retroactive. He says they're worried they might be forced to prove the provenance of wood they acquired decades ago.

"There hasn't been that moment where people have quote tested the case. 'What is compliance? What is actual compliance? How have I complied?' We're lacking that."

He's even warned clients to be wary of traveling abroad with old guitars, because the law says owners can be asked to account for every wooden part of their guitars when re-entering the U.S. The law also covers the trade in vintage instruments.

Nashville's George Gruhn is one of the world's top dealers of old guitars, banjos and other rare stringed instruments. "It's a nightmare," he says. "I can't help it if they used Brazilian rosewood on almost every guitar made prior to 1970. I'm not contributing to cutting down Brazilian rosewood today."

Gruhn acknowledges that the government has tried to create exemptions to cover vintage instruments. But he says they are rife with delays and to play it safe he's nearly eliminated the 40% of his business that used to deal with overseas buyers. "This is a new normal," says the EIA's Andrea Johnson. "And it takes getting used to."

Johnson defends the Lacey Act and the government's efforts to enforce it. "Nobody here wants this law to founder on unintended consequences," she says. "Because ultimately everybody understands that the intent here is to reduce illegal logging and send a signal to the markets that you've got to be asking questions and sourcing wood in a responsible way."

What constitutes that responsible way may only become clear when the government finally charges Gibson and the company gets the day in court it says it wants so badly.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/08/31/140090116/why-gibson-guitar-was-raided-by-the-justice-department

Two sides to every story - As is responsible

[ In Reply To ..]
the Justice Department has not commented. It amazes me the quick "rush to judgement" based on the words of the law breaker. Most criminals lie.

I am all against the importation of "exotic woods". The Great Lakes are getting contaminated by exotic species killing the native fish, our forests are being defoliated by non-native invasive insects. I went to an import furniture shop one day and was sickened. I had noticed the insecticide smell when I first walked in, and I am very glad I did not buy anything.

This is not the first time they were investigated for this--the first time was shortly after Bush signed this into law. I am also surprised that anyone who would take a discussion of law and twist it to say it was coercion. You might be better off spending your time asking questions about the corporations who offshore their income rather than pay taxes in the US.

Imported Chinese dog food killed my dog - Buy "Made in America"

[ In Reply To ..]
We have to protect ourselves from the lead in our kids toys, etc. If this exotic wood has bad stuff, we should find a domestic product. Tell that to Gibson.

Similar Messages:

Ovarian Coercion?
May 20, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of ovarian coercsion.  Sounds exactly like that but I cannot find that and unsure if it makes sense. He states - No evidence for ovarian coercision or other abnormalities.   Any help is much appreciated.    Thank you - V. ...

99.6 Is Going To Encourage More Cherry Picking
Jun 04, 2013

Obama
Oct 26, 2011

We are ALL upset with our transcription jobs.  Whoever this is acting like a 2 year old in these posts needs to grow up.  ...

LETTER TO OBAMA
Oct 26, 2011

Did you happen to read the letter to Obama written by a transcriptionist when first logging on to MTStars?  I think it is VERY well said, and we should send a similar one to him.  The writing is definitely on the wall.  I am seriously considering quitting as I am sure MT's jobs will be obsolete very soon.  However, now I am debating whether to stick it out here until the end and hope for either a severance pay or unemployment.  My CCM was MORE THAN HAPPY to off ...

Maybe We Can Get Obama On Board...
Dec 05, 2013

Since the gov's all about obamacare nowadays and HIPAA and whatnot, maybe the US MTs need some sort of special interest group to storm Capitol Hill and demand a consistent style for healtcare documents...a certain way to do HPs, OP notes, summaries, consults, ad nauseum...hey, the buzz word these days is interoperability, right?  I just cannot fathom why or how these facilities and physicians within them get their way all the freaking time.  If the gov would attach format template ...

Will Obama's New Employment Law Affect MQ?
Jul 24, 2010

It has to do with requiring employers to reveal employees' salaries regarding sex, race and national origin of employees.  Will this mean MQ will have to pay the Indians more?  How about paying us more fairly?  Any thoughts on this? ...

President Obama In India
Nov 08, 2010

While President Obama is touring India, I sure hope he finds our jobs, loads them onto Air Force One, and brings them back to us...along with the wages that we once earned.  Instead though, we'll probably just get T-shirts (made in China) that say "I are a global MT." ...

Obama Care, Our Health Ins.
Oct 15, 2012

Has "Obama care" gone into effect??? I am part time. Does the company have to offer me health insurance that I pay for?? anyone up on this??? ...

Did You Hear Obama's Speech MQ Corporate.
Jan 27, 2010

Did you hear?  No tax relief to any American company who sends work overseas.  IT IS ABOUT TIME!!! I believe the republicans and democrats stood up for that statement!!! ...

Obama Health Care And The Transcriptionist Perfession
Oct 17, 2010

I am just wondering how it is assumed that the Obama Health Care Bill will affect the medical transcription profession.   ...

Obama Is Really Pushing Electronic Medical Records
Jul 30, 2011

I have heard and read that Obama is really pushing the EMR, and by the year 2014, he wants all hospitals/clinics to implement this or else be taxed. He also is supposed to be offering grants and incentives if they do also. So any hospital or physician office that doesn't will be taxed more and will not get incentives, grants, etc. So I think most will try it cause they don't want more taxes and want the incentives, etc. So where does that leave us? If you work for a hospital, what ...

Obama Petition - It Worked For Student Loans, So Why Not Us?
Oct 27, 2011

Here is what I put in this petition - I tried not to make it specific to MT, as there are more jobs that need to come back than just ours.  Stop the overseas off-shoring of American jobs - at least stop those that contain personal information. (this is the title to search for at "we the people" if the link does not post)Stop the overseas off-shoring of American Jobs will keep American Jobs in American, will keep American money in America. Once that money leaves it will n ...

My Letter To Michelle Obama About My Experience With MT Work, Or More Specifically, Working For A Na
Apr 06, 2010

I think I have figured out an excellent strategic way to approach writing this letter.  My objective is to GET IT READ.  Guided by my intuition, I put some ideas down in a beginning document on my computer --- as as I did so --- other ideas began to float through my mind.  I wound up with something which I think is a very good strategy.  I am not going to say what it is.  I'm just saying that I feel QUITE GOOD about this way of presenting "the story."  Once I ...

Please - Outsourcing
Aug 08, 2013

If it wasn't for outsourcing, we wouldn't have jobs. The hospitals are outsourcing to us. There is a difference between "outsourcing" and "offshoring." ...

Outsourcing Backlash
Nov 02, 2009

Medical transcription is not the only thing being outsourced.....Lots of info to Google re Boston Hyatt Hotels replacing long time housekeeping staff with people the staff trained.  It seems that everying, from the governor's office down, is outraged and want the housekeepers reinstated.  Hospitality Staffing Solutions are paying the new workers $8 per hour and no benefits.  The original housekeepers were making $14-20/hour with benefits and pension.   ...

Outsourcing Fiasco -
Nov 24, 2009

Click on link.  UK patient medical records end up on black market. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221186/Private-medical-records-sale-Harley-Street-clinic-patients-files-outsourced-input--end-black-market.html#ixzz0UVTq0qNI ...

DSG/MedQuist/Outsourcing
Jan 24, 2010

Can anyone tell me how closely affiliated DSG and MedQuist are, and if DSG outsources to India?  We all know MQ outsources, but I'm having trouble getting information. Thinking about working for DSG, but I don't want to go anywhere that has any affiliation whatsoever with MQ.  I've heard DSG uses MQ's software, just wondering how far they are in cahoots with the Q on other things, like outsourcing to India. ...

Outsourcing To India
Jun 15, 2010

On numerous occasions over the past year I was told by my CCM that the reason they are outsourcing to India is because there is a shortage of qualified MTs because the average age of an MT is 55 and they are starting to retired.  Like the infamous ***** and is ridiculous claim about 650 lph on ASR, that MTs have an IQ of about 6.    ***** Do not name/identify individuals.  Moderator ***** ...

NEW NBC SHOW ABOUT OUTSOURCING
Aug 31, 2010

I JUST WANT TO VENT.  I don't remember the exact name of this new NBC show making a comedy out of outsourcing - but I think we all need to find out who or where to write and tell them OUTSOURCING OVERSEAS IS NOT FUNNY!!  From what I gather from the ads the jobs go to India (I believe) and it's supposed to be so funny.  It's not freakin amusing in the least.  We aren't the only industry who have been royaly SCREWED by big companies.  T ...

OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)
Oct 12, 2010

Anyone heard about or work for OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)?  Any info would be appreciated! ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

Ever Wonder What Clients Would Think About Doing Their Own Outsourcing?
Oct 26, 2010

Just thinking out loud here.  I know many practices probably do their own outsourcing to MTs at home. Why not more?  It must be cheaper for them with higher quality work, personalized service, etc.  Some hospitals even hire MTs to work from home rather than use an MTSO. How can we, as the MT community, reach more clients/practices.  Surely they have a liason in the office who handles the direction of their transcribed reports, in-house editing; someone who could do ...

Outsourcing Overseas
May 10, 2012

I just saw a comercial on TV last night that says Mitt Romney outsouced to call centers overseas. That really upsets me and I for one will remember that when I go to the polls. I am shocked and apalled. He must need educated on the fact that Americans jobs are going overseas. ...

Parable About Outsourcing
Jul 15, 2012

Just the link. ...

Transcription Outsourcing, LLC
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone started working here on their radiology account?  Any information? ...

Coding Outsourcing
Sep 30, 2012

MTs come here for opinions on whether coding will go the way of transcription.   Many coders give their opinion.  Many feel safe, some don’t know, and many see many opportunities within the field to move about and are not worried.   There you have it.  Why argue?  The MTs argue that the coders are wrong and try to show that it will happen and is happening.  We gave our opinion, we know how we feel, and we are IN the field.  Are you trying to war ...

A Thought On Outsourcing
Dec 08, 2012

Just a thought...if they are going to outsource our US jobs to India, then give THEM the ESL dictators from India!!  I don't care for them. ...

Fatal Outsourcing.
Dec 15, 2012

See link.  http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/fatal_outsourcing_thomas_hospi.html ...

This Is What I Don't Understand About Outsourcing
Jan 07, 2013

How can medical records which are so closely guarded in this country be sent to another country for transcription.  I think that most patients would be against having their sensitive medical information going to another country.  It doesn't seem that Mmodal could even outsource.  Is it because the public doesn't know? ...

Taxed For Outsourcing
May 08, 2013

...to those stiff tax penalties Obama was supposed to levy against companies that outsourced jobs?  If he, in fact, kept his promise, it doesn't seem like Nuance is bothered by it at all. ...