A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

LETTER TO OBAMA - GRANDMA

Posted: Oct 26, 2011

Did you happen to read the letter to Obama written by a transcriptionist when first logging on to MTStars?  I think it is VERY well said, and we should send a similar one to him.  The writing is definitely on the wall.  I am seriously considering quitting as I am sure MT's jobs will be obsolete very soon.  However, now I am debating whether to stick it out here until the end and hope for either a severance pay or unemployment.  My CCM was MORE THAN HAPPY to offer me PT rather than FT when I mentioned I was thinking of going part time so I could look for a new profession.  Honestly, she seemed to seriously want to get rid of me and I've been with this company for 18 years!   I think MQ is happy to see us quit . . . maybe it will save them money when they tell us they are letting us all go.

obama does not care - get real

[ In Reply To ..]
He said in his townhall meeting that jobs such as ours are low-skilled and low-paid and they can have them, and we can go back to school to lear how to build wind turbines.

All the letters in the world are not going to stop offshoring.

OBAMA - sj

[ In Reply To ..]
no need to get nasty about it

ok, well it is mentioned what... - like every week on this board

[ In Reply To ..]
Im gonna write a letter, everyone should write a letter, Obama needs to know what is going on...

Whatever.

Guess I missed - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
where he said transcription jobs were low-skilled and low-paid and they can have them. Why don't you and many other write him and let him know what you think instead of just saying he doesn't care. Maybe you don't care if you don't write. That is how these politicians know what people think. I write all the time and have seen many issues that me and many others have written about and are addressed. I wrote for years and years about healthcare and maybe you don't like Obamacare but at least he got it going. I'm thinking many people were writting on that one, especially the ones like I was who could not afford healthcare or made too much for Medicaid. At least the ball is rolling on that one finally.

oh yea, obamacare is great - for you

[ In Reply To ..]
When I was a single mom, no child support, working transcription only, making 35,000 a year, I did not qualify for any health care through my state and had to pay everything out of pocket!

Now that I have insurance to the tune of $500 a month premium, $10,000 deductible a year and then after that they only pay 80%.... JUST WHAT THE *BLANK* GOOD IS OBAMACARE DOING FOR ME???

Gotta love it. You need insurance, so my premiums go up to cover you. GO OBAMA.

Umm - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I was a single mom, making $16,000 a year, no child support and didn't qualify for Medicaid either. I have insurance now through my husband's job. I'm still glad that many of the people that didn't have health care might get an opportunity to have it. Maybe you need to look around for other insurance with having a $10,000 a year deductible. That's ridiculous and I frankly have never seen one like that.

Anyway, I am not glad for Obamacare for ME, ME, Me, I am glad others are able to get health insurance now that couldn't before. Also, I didn't say it is perfect and didn't need some changes, but it is a start.

guess I missed - frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I, like you, missed Obama calling us low skilled also, where the heck did she read THAT and why did she have to be so rude when she posted?
then go write a note - frustrated
[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Mr. Obama,

I am sure you have NO IDEA that I am about to lose my job, which is the highly skilled trade of Medical Transcription, due to offshoring!

I know... You are SHOCKED by the news!

Ok, I will sit back and wait for you to fix it, becuase I know that you only have the best interests of the AMERICAN PEOPLE in your heart.

Bhhaaaa hahahahahahah
As I said - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I do write letters to all my representatives instead of coming on here running everybody else down who does.

On the Obamacare, I merely brought that up because apparently a lot of people writting about something did help. By the way, the letters I write are nothing like the one you mention. I am quite blunt and let them know that I am disgusted with the way they run things and they need to change their ways.
Forgot to say - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
My representatives seem to be listening. They are trying to put a stop to offshoring and bring back jobs and are making headway. MI, Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin. I'm also seeing many commercials about "made in America." I think writing is helping. No one said it was going to be overnight.
i agree - minimumwageworker
[ In Reply To ..]
You got to try and do something and I can't believe any medical transcribers are rich enough to benefit from the Republican policies. Also Obamacare doesn't go into full force until 2014, so I say let's see and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will help us paying such high premiums or with no insurance at all. Obama may not be great but at this point we have nowhere to turn except to write letters and voice our concerns.

Here's the actual townhall quote - this was a couple years ago

[ In Reply To ..]
Now, a lot of the outsourcing that was referred to in the question really has to do with the fact that our economy -- if it's dependent on low-wage, low-skill labor, it's very hard to hang on to those jobs because there's always a country out there that pays lower wages than the U.S. And so we've got to go after the high-skill, high-wage jobs of the future. That's why it's so important to train our folks more effectively and that's why it's so important for us to find new industries -- building solar panels or wind turbines or the new biofuel -- that involve these higher-value, higher-skill, higher-paying jobs.

Im the liar though - enlightened

[ In Reply To ..]
Put it in quotes!

Obviously, because transcription is being offshored, he is referring to "our career" as a "low-wage, low-skilled" job!

Some just need to take off their rose colored classes and see this for what it is. Obama is not going to save your job. He wants it in India. He even celebrated with them!
If more people had access to health care . . . - 2014!
[ In Reply To ..]
There would be more work available to compensate for the loss of jobs to EMR and India. The MT industry is not the only one suffering here, btw. Anything that can be done over the internet or by low-wage factory workers is being offshored.

Yes, do something constructive. The OWS has helped because the media is now forced to address some of these issues. They used to only cover the views of the 1%.

Write your newspapers, politicians, blog, etc. Get some advanced training.
Don't think anyone - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
called anyone a liar. I still do not see where he said "medical transcriptionists," but if you interpret that as that, that is your right. I think we need to work on getting transcription jobs back, manufacturing jobs back and I am sure there are others. The point is write him and tell him, write your representatives and tell them. Let him know you do not appreciate him saying that India can have your job that you have been supporting yourself with and you want it back. However you write him, write him and your representatives. That is what you and everybody needs to do. Tell them you are disgusted with them and that they don't care about us. Get damn mad in your letter, but write!
MTs weren't low paying Jobs before offshoring, neither were GM jobs - Look for anything to bash
[ In Reply To ..]
He didn't say Medical transcriptionists! That was your perception and yours alone because that's what YOU wanted to hear.

This is how rumors start! You totally took his statement out of context and started telling people he said things that he did not say. Come on now!! Kind of ridunculous, don't ya think?

Prove where he said we were low skilled workers - That is BS prob listening to limbaugh

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't be spreading BS rumors. I have followed the EMR mandates and his healthcare from the beginning. Not ONCE have I heard mentioned the MTs being low skilled. Anyone who knows anything at all about our jobs understands the skill set it takes to be a good MT! EMR cannot completely replace us. Every patient has a different story.

Turn off your FOX news channel and your Rush Limbaugh radio show and find some real news. You might get your head out of the sand and learn something some day!

whatever - he did say it

[ In Reply To ..]
The question was asked to him in a townhall meeting about "work being offshored and what he is going to do to get it back" and he said that "they (overseas) can have the low-skilled, low-paid work."

Our work is offshored, therefore it is, to him, considered low-skilled and low-paid... and dont think too highly of yourself, they train the Indians in a month to do your work.

If you dont believe he said that... do your research (ms. transcriptionist) and search for the internet townhall meeting done by Obama and you can listen for yourself.

sure if someone will pay my bills - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure, advancing your education is great (BTW I had to take out a loan to LIVE while I was in school for transcription through a state-funded program.) So I furthered my education, had a loan to pay back that a lot of my classmates didn't have, because there was no one at home to support me, I had no kids (by choice) - so no child support or gov. assistance, I had never been in jail, had never had a drug problem...etc. Anyway, I did become an MT, and look where that took me. Now at 52 I'm STILL single (by choice) with only ME to depend on for paying the bills. So tell, Mr. Obama, you gonna pay my living expenses while I'm bettering myself this time? As for healthcare, I am a medical nihilist. I think if a person WANTS insurance they should be able to get it; however, I dislike it being shoved down my throat an up my a--. Once again, I end up supporting people for having kids, sometimes against medical advice, drug issues, poor lifestyles, and in some cases making poor decisions, (though I know that's not always the issue) etc. I'm sure Obama really cares about our jobs going away, let's see HIM type/edit some of the stuff we have to. Better yet, let some of that robot puke show up in his kid's medical records!!! Guess I'm in one foul mood today.

Similar Messages:

My Letter To Michelle Obama About My Experience With MT Work, Or More Specifically, Working For A Na
Apr 06, 2010

I think I have figured out an excellent strategic way to approach writing this letter.  My objective is to GET IT READ.  Guided by my intuition, I put some ideas down in a beginning document on my computer --- as as I did so --- other ideas began to float through my mind.  I wound up with something which I think is a very good strategy.  I am not going to say what it is.  I'm just saying that I feel QUITE GOOD about this way of presenting "the story."  Once I ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

Obama
Oct 26, 2011

We are ALL upset with our transcription jobs.  Whoever this is acting like a 2 year old in these posts needs to grow up.  ...

Maybe We Can Get Obama On Board...
Dec 05, 2013

Since the gov's all about obamacare nowadays and HIPAA and whatnot, maybe the US MTs need some sort of special interest group to storm Capitol Hill and demand a consistent style for healtcare documents...a certain way to do HPs, OP notes, summaries, consults, ad nauseum...hey, the buzz word these days is interoperability, right?  I just cannot fathom why or how these facilities and physicians within them get their way all the freaking time.  If the gov would attach format template ...

Will Obama's New Employment Law Affect MQ?
Jul 24, 2010

It has to do with requiring employers to reveal employees' salaries regarding sex, race and national origin of employees.  Will this mean MQ will have to pay the Indians more?  How about paying us more fairly?  Any thoughts on this? ...

President Obama In India
Nov 08, 2010

While President Obama is touring India, I sure hope he finds our jobs, loads them onto Air Force One, and brings them back to us...along with the wages that we once earned.  Instead though, we'll probably just get T-shirts (made in China) that say "I are a global MT." ...

Obama Care, Our Health Ins.
Oct 15, 2012

Has "Obama care" gone into effect??? I am part time. Does the company have to offer me health insurance that I pay for?? anyone up on this??? ...

Did You Hear Obama's Speech MQ Corporate.
Jan 27, 2010

Did you hear?  No tax relief to any American company who sends work overseas.  IT IS ABOUT TIME!!! I believe the republicans and democrats stood up for that statement!!! ...

Obama Health Care And The Transcriptionist Perfession
Oct 17, 2010

I am just wondering how it is assumed that the Obama Health Care Bill will affect the medical transcription profession.   ...

Obama Is Really Pushing Electronic Medical Records
Jul 30, 2011

I have heard and read that Obama is really pushing the EMR, and by the year 2014, he wants all hospitals/clinics to implement this or else be taxed. He also is supposed to be offering grants and incentives if they do also. So any hospital or physician office that doesn't will be taxed more and will not get incentives, grants, etc. So I think most will try it cause they don't want more taxes and want the incentives, etc. So where does that leave us? If you work for a hospital, what ...

Obama Adminstration Uses Coercion To Encourage Outsourcing
Sep 01, 2011

Gibson Guitars, accused of using illegally imported wood, a claim that Gibson refutes and for which the company has filed documentation to the contrary,  has now been told that their problems "would go away" if they used labor in Madagascar.  http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/sep/1/picket-gibson-guitar-ceo-obama-admin-told-us-our-p/ For those of you brave enough to access this site...you can hear an account of the entire debacle from the lips of Gibson CEO directly ...

Obama Petition - It Worked For Student Loans, So Why Not Us?
Oct 27, 2011

Here is what I put in this petition - I tried not to make it specific to MT, as there are more jobs that need to come back than just ours.  Stop the overseas off-shoring of American jobs - at least stop those that contain personal information. (this is the title to search for at "we the people" if the link does not post)Stop the overseas off-shoring of American Jobs will keep American Jobs in American, will keep American money in America. Once that money leaves it will n ...

Letter
Nov 17, 2009

Well, I have too read between the lines in that letter.  I hope no one read it and said to themselves - well, I guess they do appreciate us - NOT.  I also think they are going to take something away, whether wages or benefits.  I have cut back everyway I can think of, dropped full coverage on my vehicle, cut back on my Dish satellite, which I do not have time to watch anyway, just buy the groceries I need, do not go anywhere unless I absolutely have to, etc.  If things get mu ...

I Have Sent A Letter To The Law...sm
Apr 30, 2010

firm (Pepper Law)who will be handling the audits of companies for compliance with the laws regarding independent contractors vs employees. Dear Sirs,  As a medical transcriptionist I am happy that the federal government will be cracking down on the companies that misclassify employees as independent contractors.  This practice is rampant in the medical transcription field and I wanted to make sure that you are aware of this.  These companies require a set schedule including a com ...

Letter From CEO
Oct 13, 2010

Got an e mail from CEO stating how wonderful the company is doing.  Of course it is, we are producing more than every before and getting paid far less than ever before.  Who would'nt turn a profit.  Can't make my rent for the 2nd month in a row. ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

Type "Letter, Dated 08/12/09, States...." Or "A Letter, Dated 08/12/09, States...&quo
Apr 21, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the more preferred way to type the above sentence would be?   Also, should I not use commas before "dated" and after the date or should I just straight type it "The report dated 08/12/09 states...."  We have a few different opinions in the office (which only dictated and have somewhat poor use of the English language) and I would like to see what you, the MT community, thinks.   Thanks! ...

Did Anyone Get Their Letter In The Email Yet From MQ?
Nov 12, 2009

Received a letter from MQ.  Basically it is a thank you letter of how my efforts are paying off for MQ.  How we had to adapt to change over the past 3-4 years.  About off-shoring and basically how a survey will be coming in 2010.   The company basically appreciates us, however, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!  Instead, we get money taken away over the years and yet, they appreciate us. Overall, the letter was well written.  Tell me what you think?  I am glad they appreci ...

Anybody Else In The Letter Business?
Aug 30, 2010

The conglomerate I type for mostly (which is about 30 university clinics, each with 150 or so non-English-speaking residents) sends almost everything in "letter" form.  There is a useless letter standard, but I spend the first 1-2 minutes of the dictation on the address (and have to manually re-enter into the cc list), usually have to go Google to try to find how Dr. Swishandswash spells his name and address in Podunkville.  It is killing me.  There must be some way to stream ...

Pay Rate Letter
Jul 10, 2011

Is the new pay rate in an e-mail or snail mail?  I haven't gotten either yet. ...

Rejection Letter
Mar 01, 2012

Help me out here. I have more than 35 years' acute care experience that covered absolutely every speciality and subspecialty out there. I worked at a 1000-bed teaching/research hospital for many years, along with some smaller regional hospitals. I am a high-production MT serving in a significant ESL environment. I have excellent quarterly QA scores. I was the go-to MT with drop-dead reliability, who would stay there until the job was done. My references are perfect. I had formal MT traini ...

Funny Letter To An
Mar 12, 2012

A friend of mine, who as you will observe has been at this game for awhile, wrote this letter to her employer.   Dear ______: As you know, when I took this job to supplement my Social Security, I was concerned that I would have to limit my hours in order not to exceed the income level that Social Security permits recipients to earn. I see now that my concerns were needless, and would like to thank you for underpaying me so severely that I am able not only to work full time, but even to ...

Bringing This To The Top. This Is The Letter I Have
Apr 14, 2012

so far.  It is a long one so please bear with me US DEPT OF LABOR RE MT To Whom It May Concern; I have been a medical transcriptionist for 16 years.  I have been working at home 14 of those 16 years.  When I started out working at home, I was offered 7-1/2 cpl.  I am now consistently offered 6-7 cpl for straight transcription and 3-4 cpl for editing.  I am lucky to make $20 a day.  That includes running out of work, the ridiculously low pay and the tons of accoun ...

Letter To The Editor
May 23, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line defense against errors that can negatively and sometimes fatally affect you as a patient - physicians make mistakes. MTs ensure those errors do not end up in your Electronic Medical Record.  Healthcare consumers are you aware that local hospitals are outsourcing their work to what are kno ...

Letter From MT Of The Year
May 24, 2012

She seems like a nice enough person.  However, as MT of the year, she gets to be on the MT Taskforce.  Do you think she represents the way most of us feel? ...

P.S. Medical Letter
Oct 20, 2012

Letter Of Appreciation
Nov 21, 2012

Did you all get the generic letter of appreciation? Do they not realize that a letter of appreciation from someone whom we have never heard their name before really means nothing. Obviously this person has no idea what I contribute or should be thanked for. It is just generic doodoo. ...

Compensation Letter?
Dec 12, 2012

I've seen a couple of folks post on here about getting a compensation letter but I've gotten nothing other than the info they presented at the meeting yesterday.  Did they e-mail this or snail mail it?   ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Rate Letter
Aug 02, 2013

Anyone else still not get a benefit rate letter/email?  Not that I really want to see how much it has dropped. ...