A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are they supposed to include the 15-min OOW punches... - sm

Posted: Jan 05, 2015

.. in the "total hours" for the week when calculating our C-LPH?  My 15-min OOW punches from this past week were included in my total hours. If they had NOT included those OOW punches when they were calculating my C-LPH, I would have been put into the next tier... just barely... but I WOULD have made it into the next tier.  I emailed my TSM about it this morning but still haven't heard back yet.  Is this the norm? I could have sworn I read in the handbook that OOW punches aren't included in our total production hours for the week. >=0(

OOW punches - Bobo

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless I'm wrong, I should think it would not be an issue since you're not even clocked in for those 15 minutes and, thus, not added to your total hours.

Clocked in - Jax

[ In Reply To ..]
You absolutely are supposed to be clocked in for the 15 minutes of OOW time you have to wait for a job to come in. It's ridiculous, of course, with all the punching in and punching out nonsense, but that's what the policy states.

How are you coding - Mine have always been included

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious to know if you're selecting the OOW comment, and if so, do you select it on the first punch back in for the 15 minutes?

This whole process has me so confused. There's the one in the handbook, then the one my TSM sent out over 6 months ago, then again another that they sent out recently which basically matched the handbook but was rather vague about things, then even more e-mails back and forth.

Until the new compensation plan came out, I didn't worry about those being on there, but like you, it's dropped my C-LPH below 100 with all the waiting around for work!

Please let us know what the resolution to this was!

I select the OOW comment only for the 15-min punch - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
My TSM just sent an email about the procedure the other day and said once we run out of work, we are supposed to clock out, email her to let her know we are OOW, then clock back in with the OOW comment and wait 15 minutes. If no work comes in and there is no response, technically our shift is over, and we don't have to come back for that day, but we can check back later if we want to.

Like you, I never worried about the punches before, but now... it actually matters. I think they absolutely should NOT be included in the total production hours now that those hours are a major factor in determining our cpl rate. It's all a bunch of rotten bologna if you ask me.

I still haven't heard anything back from my TSM yet, but I will pop back on here when I do. :)
apparently every TSM has their own spin - on this OOW punch in/out thing
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to just punch out with OOW comment and wait 15, if no work then done, very simple. But a couple months back it changed, and we have been bombarded with emails about it since. Very confusing and annoying.

When OOW now, TSM says to punch out like normal. Then punch right back in using OOW comment and immediately punch out using same. Meanwhile, email her. Then 15 min later if still OOW, repeat the punch in/out with OOW comment and you are done for the day. This gives you a 0 for hours worked. Then we are supposed to go back and delete those 0 punches so they don't show on your time card (they do not want our time cards to reflect OOW situations I believe). I, however, do not delete them because I want to see all the OOW times. But I also back that up with a save, a flash drive, and a camera screen shot. She can delete them, not my problem. But, and this is a big BUT, if you get a job after/within the 15 min OOW punch, the process starts all over again and they hold you hostage on that 15 min thing if it does not match up with an NSA. Talk about agitating.

When OOW you are NOT supposed to be - logged in when waiting the 15 minutes

[ In Reply To ..]
My TSM explained it thus:

1. If you receive NSA, clock out as normal and email me (i.e. without putting the OOW reason, just log out normally).

2. After waiting 15 minutes, clock in again

3. If you receive NSA after waiting, then clock out with the OOW reason

That was her, this is my opinion: If you stay logged in it hurts your line count and you will most certainly be in the MUP range if you keep logged in too long while waiting.

However, not getting paid for even the 15 minutes waiting seems kind of unfair, but I guard my line count and never want it to be affected when I have no work.

Of course, when you are OOW for a day and get paid for zero hours, that's not much better either. I feel it's worth guarding your line count though because then the PTO is based on that too and nothing worse than getting minimum wage when you take a day off.

tailored OOW instructions ? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
OOW procedure must be made up by the TSM then, as my OOW instructions are the same as OP's (clock out when OOW, clock immediately back in, wait 15 minutes, then clock out with OOW selection).

Basically, if you are clocked in for 15 minutes - and not working

[ In Reply To ..]
It is much the same as if you got a phone call while in a report and talked for 15 minutes - it's gonna lower your lph.

If there is no work I always do the OOW procedure, but I won't let it affect my line count, I just log in and log out really quick, not stay logged in for 15 minutes.

If there is work later on and I am able, I will do it, but if not at least I do not have to claim (practically nonexistent) PTO then.

Maybe some of the TSMs do not understand either?

My (fantastic) TSM:

"I know it is a lot of punching in/out but we must do it this way to receive an accurate count of actual OOW time...We need to see short punches of even just 1 minute in Webclock to log out of work."

I keep track of when the OOW email is sent to the TSM, then go back in 15 minutes - if there is a job, but then I get OOW again, I then log out, log in again, get the NSA and log out with the OOW reason.

This way my lph is not affected and I believe it is perfectly acceptable to log out with OOW even if you get a job or two in between, since you waited the 15 minutes in the first place, you shouldn't have to wait another 15 minutes. So far nobody has said that was wrong to me anyway.

Email from my TSM said.. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
...when we run out of work to log out of webclock like normal and notify TSM that we are OOW then (direct quote from email) "... Log back into webclock. Wait 15 minutes for work and/or response from your manager. If no work comes in and you do not receive a response from the manager, log out of webclock and code your time to production hours, and indicate OOW in the comments section of your time card."

I really do not understand the reason for logging into webclock for 15 minutes and waiting for work. Why do we have to be clocked in for that? Makes no sense to me, especially if other people are able to just do a quick clock in/clock out and code that punch for OOW.

Again, no consistency at Nuance... - dd

[ In Reply To ..]
My TSM and the one before her have told our group to clock out when we're OOW, then immediately clock back in using the OOW comment in Webclock, wait 15 minutes, then if no work, clock out, or if you receive work, clock out then right back in without the OOW comment. So, my group is on the clock for those 15 minute blocks of time and they are counted towards our total hours and our converted lines per hour, which is completely unfair, especially if everyone is not held to the same policy.

Per employee handbook, sm - nothappy

[ In Reply To ..]
It states to email manager or covering manager, go into secondary account if you have one to see if there is work.If not, wait 15 minutes and if no response from manager, THEN you use punch out of OOW. You can flex (per manager) or use PTO, but you are not obligated to. So that means you are off the hook for the rest of the day if you follow those instructions,as my TSM told me. Those 15 minutes though are indeed a problem towards your line count. But if push came to shove, if you followed those instructions, you would have ammo in the event of a problem. Hard to argue if you just punched OOW without waiting 15 minutes.

C-LPH aside, when you are clocked in for that 15--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
minutes, I think it covers minimum wage laws. Since you are required to be there for the 15 minutes, if you are just making minimum wage, then you are ensuring that you are getting at least minimum wage for that 15 minutes. Of course, it works against those who have better production.

It is important to figure this stuff out, knowing where you fall on the continuum to plan accordingly. If it is going to hurt your LPH, I would try to find a way to not have that 15 minutes clocked in. If your production is not so great and you have MUP, make sure that you get that 15 minutes on your time card. Knowledge is power and we have to work whatever angles we can.

No, not minimum wage but... - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
.. with those OOW punches included in my total hours my cpl is 0.10 and without them it would be 0.105 cpl, so it does take a few dollars from my pay to include those punches... and I want every penny I can get damn it! lol. I'm STILL waiting to hear back from my TSM, and I've emailed twice today. I just want to know the exact protocol regarding OOW punches and this new pay plan. I figure I'll never know for sure if I don't ask, right? Actually... I guess I probably still won't know even though I did ask because apparently she's not to going to respond. :/

Similar Messages:

"Clairin" Punches?
May 28, 2012

This is in the procedure of a back surgery...doing hemilaminectomies. "We then began dissecting the ligamentum flavum and then we removed it with clairin punches." Clearly sounds like punches, but it's hard to tell what he says before that...it s/l clairin or clairick or something along those lines...any ideas? ...

Any Recommendations On Questions To Include During
Sep 26, 2012

Am considering a position and have completed the testing process.  Seems there are always after-the-fact issues that people wish they would have known to address before jumping on board.  Would like to get some ideas beforehand if possible.   Thanks in advance for any insight you can share. ...

Please Include Sentence The Word Was Used In (sm)
Jun 10, 2013

I see so many requests for help with words without providing any info but what the word sounded like.  For most of these it isn't possible to help without knowing the sentence used (changing/omitting anything that would be a HIPAA violation, of course).  Other details that could help would be patient's diagnoses, type of specialty or what heading it is under (Past Medical History, Allergies, Medications, Social hx, etc). ...

Trailing 0's, Is This Just In Meds Or Does It Include Measurements, Like 8.0 Mm? Thx
Jan 15, 2013

I'm a little confused, is this just for drugs, or does it include lab tests and measurements like 8.0 mm? ...

Do QA Percentages Include The Stuff That Is Out Of Our Control?
Jan 21, 2013

I'm an ex-Transcender and when I was approving my time sheet this morning I noticed that my time sheet said my percentage sent to QA was 20.2%.  I have NOT sent this many reports to QA as blanks, but have sent a lot of stuff due to discrepancies, no demographics match, no dictation, etc.  Are they seriously counting stuff that we have NO control over against us for purposes of denying bonuses?  I asked my TSM if that would be the case after we got news of the new pay cuts and ...

Recruiters/MTSOs: Please Include More Detail In Your Hiring Ads
Oct 14, 2014

and the time of tech support people trying to do installs,  only to find out that the ICs computer doesn't have the required version of Windows or whatever to support your platforms. This is something we should know right up front,  along with line rates and such, before we even waste our time testing,  waste your and our time interviewing, and waste everyone's time in general,  only to find out our computer is not compatible with your platform. You've lost a ...

Help! This Is A Diagnostic Report And Does Not Include Past Medical Sm
Feb 28, 2015

history or any actual conditions.  Medication s/l Imodium lac D??? Possible that it is Imodium, s/l lac D (or maybe not Imodium at all and it is one word?) omeprozole is in list so he does have stomach issues.  I'm stumped.  Extremely fast dictator!!! ...

List Of Meds For Patient With CHF And Atrial Fib. Include Med S/l Petazopral.
Aug 11, 2011

Any help appreciated.  Thx. ...

Do Our Lines Per Hour Include Or Exclude Inactive Time?
Jun 18, 2014

When figuring your lines per hour, is that for the whole time you are clocked in or is inactive time deducted? ...

Chronic Medical Illnesses Include *patent* Cardiac Valve.
Oct 29, 2009

nm tia   ...

Line Counts - When Figuring Lines, Do Most People Include Spaces?
Jul 24, 2012

When figuring lines, do most people include spaces? ...

This Is The Way VR Is Supposed To Be
Nov 20, 2009

The video is an excellent demonstration of the Medical version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking when you have the correct sound card and microphone, you dictate correctly, and enough time and effort has been put into training it as well as it. Some of what you'll see also demonstrate the use of macros and templates. http://www.voicerecognition.com/dns8/dragon_naturallyspeaking_medical.html Now you know why the product is so expensive. ...

What Are We Supposed To Do When
Jan 31, 2010

There is extremely loud static, so much so that we cannot even hear the dictator except for maybe 1 or 2 words in a paragraph? Do we abandon the job or send it to QA or.....?? I've had some bad static before and suffered through it, but this is so bad that I can't hear anything at all, and the static is so loud that it's hurting my ears! ...

How Are We Supposed To Know What Someone Else Does?
Apr 05, 2010

Just got an e-mail from my QTLmnop? that we are supposed to still send reports to QA when we think someone else will understand what we can't. (!?)  If I can't hear something, I just can't hear it.  Period.  It's after I've done my research.  How can I predict if someone else's ears can hear it?  Maybe, maybe not?  I think they're just asking us to be superhuman.  The bottom line is that with all these restrictions, I'm d ...

What Are We Supposed To Do About The
Sep 05, 2012

The last I heard, we were supposed to sit tight and not send in a request to support, but mine is saying it expired today, so when are they going to do something?? TIA ...

How Are We Supposed To Know When We Are Docked?
Mar 02, 2010

Bad enough that they pay us less for ASR and now we may be getting paid less for sending through QA markers - how are we supposed to know when we are getting paid less and how can they pay us so many different rates?  There is so much room for error and we will never know when we are getting ripped off!  This whole thing sounds underhanded!  ...

Anybody Want To Guess What This Is Supposed To Say?
May 03, 2010

He received supplemental oxygen and anti manic amputations by EMS. ...

Please Help.....I Thought We Were Supposed To Be
May 04, 2010

able to choose 3 specialty books to search from on Benchmark?  When I go there and try to choose I am unable to do so, doesn't let you.  Has anyone actually been able to choose these 3 books.  CCM says I should be able to, but I've tried numerous times.  ...

What Are We Supposed To Do When We Run Out Of Work
Aug 07, 2010

Are we not to send e-mail to support anymore? I am so confused with all the rules at this place.  UGH. ...

So What Is The Protocol Of What We Are Supposed To Do
Oct 25, 2010

Wasn't sure what is the latest and greatest policy of what I am suppsoed to do? Can you tell I don't pay attention to their e-mails? Thanks in advance.  ...

When You Get In To Remedy, What Are You Supposed To See?
Apr 19, 2012

When you get in to Remedy, what are you supposed to see?  I am not seeing anything although my login and password worked.  Thanks ...

How Are We Supposed To .....?!?! (Venting)
May 22, 2013

Verify our pay when we have no idea what the breakdown of the production incentive is??  (Better me, Better we....HAH) At least with Webmedx everything was laid out, tier by tier....  I was able to set goals and achieve them, not now though. This is just stupid.      ...

So, Are We Supposed To Log Out Of Teamwork Now?
Oct 06, 2014

I submitted for a ticket, but don't know what I'm supposed to do now. ...

Are We Supposed To Clock Out When NO Work?
Aug 26, 2010

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am new. No Jobs happen a lot and not sure if we are supposed to clock out and just sit and wait. ...

Why Am I Supposed To Call The Job Hotline
Nov 11, 2010

and get a ticket number for NJA when they neither answer the phone nor return my calls. ...

Payday Is Supposed To Be A Happy Day :(
Mar 25, 2011

I AM WORTH AT LEAST DOUBLE IF NOT TRIPLE WHAT I MAKE HERE!!!!  QA SCORES HIGH, QA SUBMISSION LOW!!!  WHEN ARE WE GOING TO BE APPRECIATED FOR WHAT WE DO FOR THIS COMPANY??????  I AM SICK TO MY STOMACH!!!    ...

Supposed To Clock Out When There Are No Jobs Available
Sep 01, 2011

Are we supposed to clock out when there are no jobs available, or do we stay on the clock and keep checking?  Are we just being shut out?  I don't understand what's happening. ...

Werent We Supposed To Hear Something
Jun 14, 2012

"enhanced" benefits and pay rates? I can't seem to find the e-mail that discussed this. I think it was in April or early May, but so far can't find it. Why no word from Vern lately? Is he on a Norwegian cruise? I miss his chummy e-mails. ...

Is MModal Email Down? Am I Supposed To Be
Jul 16, 2012

I honestly did not read those past emails we got on "My Community".  Did we change over to a new system that I did not bother to read about, or is it just down this morning? ...

How Are We Supposed To Make A Living
Jun 13, 2014

I understood the problem with this MTSO over the winter with the horrible weather, but now?  I can hardly keep up with my bills as is.   ...