A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How are we supposed to make a living - when there is not enough work?

Posted: Jun 13, 2014

I understood the problem with this MTSO over the winter with the horrible weather, but now?  I can hardly keep up with my bills as is.  

most have more than one job these days. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
./.

I have two - busy? Not!

[ In Reply To ..]
jobs. One IC and one in house. I recently had to take a week off of the in house one because there was not enough work to go around. My IC job is for one doc who does not pay well and sometimes only sends me work once a week.

not enough work - BrokeGirl

[ In Reply To ..]
What do they tell you when you ask for work? What do they say when you say you are out of work?

Similar Messages:

Cant Seem To Make A Living
Feb 22, 2010

I have worked as a radiology transcriptionist for over ten years .  My pay has been cut in half and jobs are hard to find. I take tests and no one calls back.  I usually only have their email anyway.    I am now learning acute care because it seems for last few years it has been the only game in town.  However, I cannot believe how hard it is and I am getting paid the same as radiology.  It's becoming impossible to afford to live on this income, but I ...

Can You Really Make A Living?
May 21, 2011

I just accepted a job at AllType and the majority of my account is VC.  I have not dropped my other position I had as IC and no VC.  I am wondering, as this is my first time ever doing VC, can you really make a living at this?  I know I will NEVER make a fortune at this job but an 800+ paycheck every 2 weeks would sure be desirable.  Thanks. ...

Can You Make A Living As An MT?
Oct 16, 2011

I am thinking about going to The Andrews School to become an MT. I have taken the pre enrollment exam and they said i passed with a score of 84%, which i think is pretty good for not knowing what im doing. But,  today i was surfing the web and seen a post from someone that was ranting about how the school is a scam and after they completed the course they got a job where they had to work 60-70 hours per week and only get paid 3 cents per line. So, i was wanting to know if there is any Andre ...

Can I Really Make A Living?
Oct 20, 2011

Experienced MTs please tell me, can a person actually make a living at this. I am a newbie, working from home for the last 4 months.   I am feeling very discouraged by my paychecks.  I am just barely making minimum wage after working a full time schedule.  I like the work, but if I can't support myself doing this what is the point?  I would love to hear from those of you who have been doing this long term.  Thanks. ...

Cannot Make A Living As MT Anymore
Mar 09, 2015

So sad what this profession has come to. I am 57 years old, have been MT for 25+ years, always been a high producer with good QA scores. I made a really good living until January 2013 when Nuance acquired company, I chose not to accept their terms of employment. Went to another US based company (?) part time. Just did income tax and was shocked. Needless to say, I will not renew my contract again. It's just not worth the aggravation anymore. The incentive and production bonuses ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living As A MT Anymore?
Nov 14, 2012

I quit my in-house MT job, a job that I had held for almost 20 years, a little over a year ago because of a new boss who drove me and about 10 other people to quit because she was so hard to work for.  I thought long and hard about it before I quit, but could not see myself putting up with her for the next 10-15 years until I could retire.  She was making some of us physically ill because of stress.  I believe we may have been "creatively downsized".  Since I q ...

Supervisors Can Make Your Life A Living
Nov 19, 2012

I have known this for all the years that I have been in this business, but unfortunately I came face to face, so to speak, with this problem again recently.  I stated a point to my supervisor by e-mail, and very nicely, about some technical difficulties I was having, and no matter how I would explain it, she did not understand what I said.  Even the tech told her that it was not due to my computer, but the connection I had.  She said she would call me, and I said I would look ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living At Landmark Doing VR?
May 21, 2014

Over the past few months, the account that I am on has gone from being at least half straight typing to almost all VR, with only a very small handful of dictators that are still on straight transcription.  I am having a really hard time making a living since this has happened and my paychecks keep getting smaller and smaller.  I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, or if it's just me.  My account is a pretty busy one, but most of these VR reports are a comple ...

Can You Make A Living Working For IMEDX
Dec 24, 2014

Can you make a living working for IMEDX.  They said they pay 4 cpl for editing and 8 cpl for straight typing with an 80% editing and 20% straight typing account.  That does not seem like you could make a living.  Just wondering. ...

Make A Living On The Futurenet MModal Platform?
Oct 23, 2013

Is anyone able to make a living on the Futurenet MModal platform?  My pay has decreased by 3/4s.     ...

IMPOSSIBLE To Make A Living Working At Nuance.
Aug 11, 2014

This is beyond insane. Why hire all these new people and pay for training and benefits only to have EVERYONE run out of work? It makes no business sense whatsoever. The person making these decisions must have received their MBA from a Cracker Jack's box. It's bad enough that we're being paid peanuts (pun intended), but to run out of work, too? Come on, people. Develop some sense and sensitivity. Thank you. ...

How Are We Supposed To Make An Informed
Oct 27, 2014

what our new line rates and compensation are going to work out to be? Who knows if we can even afford it? ...

46 Different Client Profiles...how Is One Supposed To Make 150 LPH With That?
Nov 22, 2013

will take any and all suggestions! ...

Living In Fear
Dec 04, 2013

Just got e-mail stating I did NOT pass my audit.  i got 99.4%.  i have been with this company for over 15 years.  Lately, I stress out every day over this job.  I am sitting here waiting for a phone call from my TSM to discuss this.  I am quite worried.  Living paycheck to paycheck now.  Cannot afford to take another pay cut or lose my job.  If they do put you on 100% do you ever get taken off? I have slowed down and really tried to be more careful/cautio ...

Living Well Off Of Our Backs
Mar 13, 2014

How does it happen that office personnel get in-house raises and are making far more than any of us when it is the transcriptionists who bring in the actual money?  We are solely responsible for the lavish lifestyles of CEOs and the salaries of management while we ourselves make next to nothing.  I remember years ago the office personnel making little wisecracks at how much we made while some of them with "degrees" did not make nearly as much.  Well, I guess that has been fixed no ...

I Am So Tired Of Living Under The Threat Of This 99%
Mar 23, 2012

Either I am being targeted or I will agree I am on an account that perhaps requires regular audits, but I just cannot take it anymore.  The last two audits I barely failed and I now I am assuming I will be terminated.  We are encouraged to speed up editing and in the process we are most assuredly missing incorrect ASR dictation, etc.  I mean no offense to any MTs who work for this company, but I daresay across the board this company does not produce MTs who continuously maintain ...

How Are People Not Making A Living?
Jul 06, 2012

THIS IS NOT A MEAN OR DEGRADING MESSAGE.  I am genuinely curious as I have been with them for almost 9 years and have never had a problem netting (after taxes) anywhere from 13-17$/hour.  I only work 50-60 hours every 2 weeks and I am bringing home 550--800$. I don't see how some people are working 80 hours every 2 weeks and aren't bringing home at least 1000$.  ...

Is Anyone Making A Living Anymore?
Jul 25, 2014

After 15 years I decided to hang it up and gave up MT work when VR pay was so low and the jobs were few and far between.  My yearly income was cut more than half.  I've often wondered if anyone is still able to make a living doing MT work.  I don't miss it at all, just wondering. ...

Living In Fear Of Critical Error.
Jan 24, 2010

I've got this terror of critical errors.  I shudder every time I check my feedback, if I've left a marker (sometimes I've noticed they'll check the entire report, not just the marker.  Guess it depends on the MME).  What happens if you get a critical error?  Are you back on QA for awhile?  Do you get nasty e-mails?  Do you get canned?  40 lashes? ...

Is Anyone Really Making A Decent Living Doing Speech At 4 Cpl?
Jun 09, 2011

I am looking into to taking a second job to make extra money.  My main job pays by the hour as I work directly for a hospital and it is a combination of speech and straight transcription work.  Consequently, I'm thinking maybe taking a strictly speech job would be easier on my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands, but I don't want to be wasting my time.  If I'm not going to make any money doing it, why bother? So I would like to know if there are any MTs out there who ...

SoftScript, Living Up To Its Horrendous Reputation!
Mar 18, 2013

I can't say I wasn't warned about SS, not only in the archives but by an acquaintance who'd worked there for 2 years, leaving a year ago. I took a shot, hoping they had, or were in the process of turning over a new leaf. It turned out to be the worst employment experience in my 20 years 'on the force.' I have never posted here before, often wondering if the gripes here might be limited to a handful of disgruntled employees; they're not & I'm living proof. I ...

Interview At Assisted Living Facility For MT
Nov 19, 2014

I live in a very rural community, 1-1/2 hours from any larger city.  When I moved here, I thought I could work from anywhere.  I have been looking for a job for 2 years, but there has been no need for someone with my MT experience, and age discrimination is definitely alive and well.  I have an interview set up for tomorrow at a local assisted living facility/nursing home for full-time MT. I certainly have no problem demonstrating my expertise and ability to perform thi ...

How Many Out There No Longer Take Pride In Telling People What You Do For A Living?
May 08, 2010

x ...

Tony James Is Living The High Life, Why Won't He Share?
Jul 31, 2010

I just don't get it.  Tony James led Spheris right into bankruptcy, and he is rewarded with the position of co-COO of MedQuist with a salary of 270k plus a 50% bonus if he meets his goals for the year?  Are they kidding?  We constantly take pay cuts so these people can live in their ivory towers...and our backs are their steps to get up there. When greed meets karma, it ain't gonna be pretty.  It is just sad to know that people are barely getting by out here in the ...

EScription Production - Makes A Decent Living Using This Platform
Aug 20, 2010

I would like to know if anyone makes a decent living using this platform.  Any comments appreciated, i.e., average lines per day, hour, anything to give me better understanding.  Thanks. ...

Pay A Living Wage, Stop Stealing From Us, Keep Good Employees.
Feb 20, 2015

There are all kinds of articles out there as of this morning in relation to Walmart's announcement that they are increasing their employees' wages. Wake up, Nuance, and stop being so greedy! Do you really think you can take it with you? ...

This Is The Way VR Is Supposed To Be
Nov 20, 2009

The video is an excellent demonstration of the Medical version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking when you have the correct sound card and microphone, you dictate correctly, and enough time and effort has been put into training it as well as it. Some of what you'll see also demonstrate the use of macros and templates. http://www.voicerecognition.com/dns8/dragon_naturallyspeaking_medical.html Now you know why the product is so expensive. ...

What Are We Supposed To Do When
Jan 31, 2010

There is extremely loud static, so much so that we cannot even hear the dictator except for maybe 1 or 2 words in a paragraph? Do we abandon the job or send it to QA or.....?? I've had some bad static before and suffered through it, but this is so bad that I can't hear anything at all, and the static is so loud that it's hurting my ears! ...

How Are We Supposed To Know What Someone Else Does?
Apr 05, 2010

Just got an e-mail from my QTLmnop? that we are supposed to still send reports to QA when we think someone else will understand what we can't. (!?)  If I can't hear something, I just can't hear it.  Period.  It's after I've done my research.  How can I predict if someone else's ears can hear it?  Maybe, maybe not?  I think they're just asking us to be superhuman.  The bottom line is that with all these restrictions, I'm d ...

What Are We Supposed To Do About The
Sep 05, 2012

The last I heard, we were supposed to sit tight and not send in a request to support, but mine is saying it expired today, so when are they going to do something?? TIA ...