A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Virtual Learning Center - Giex7

Posted: Jan 08, 2010

I am another victim of Virtual Learning Center.  Can anyone recommend a reputable on-line MT school?

I'm a victim too - Cher

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, doesn't this stink. I went to do a test on Wed and saw the notice. Did you happen to download the software for your foot pedal? I'm still in the test stage so didn't get around to downloading the free software for the foot pedal. I called Sylvan and they want $89.00 just for the software. I paid in full for the Diploma course, over $3000.00 down the drain. You can get a list of reputable schools through the ahdi website. Email me.

Cher - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, Cher, I really hate to see you think of yourself as a victim--that gives away your power. You can be more powerful in this situation than you think. Document everything and get in touch with the Fraud Division of the Attorney General of the state in which you live and the state in which VLC is registered to do business. If you have one of those t.v. stations that does consumer advocacy, you might have them to an expose on it. I saw so many people get s$$d by MQ because they either did not know how to speak out or were afraid to speak out. Cheaters and fraudsters count on this and that is how they work their game. Document everything. You guys who were cheated might want to start a yahoo group or something to compare notes and organize. I really hope you give VLC a well-deserved kick in the tuchas. I am sorry this happened to you (all of you) and I wish you much luck.

VLC - Cheryl L

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also a victim of the VLC no longer existing. I can't believe that they can leave so many people in a lurch. So many more are affected. I reported them th the BBB so I could at least get an answer.

BBB - Cher

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you report to the BBB in the US? I am in Canada so I'll report to the BBB here as well. It will be interesting to see the results from both. There has to be something we can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BBB Cher - Serena
[ In Reply To ..]
I tried to report them to the BBB in Canada but my computer wouldn't allow it, said something about cookies. Anyway I called them they are sending me the paper work in the mail. I agree there has to be something we can do, they stole our $$$ and I don't even have a copy of the courses I finished, it was all on their website. If anyone has a suggestion PLEASE contact. Thanks

VLC - Giex7

[ In Reply To ..]
Cher, yes it does stink. I'm going to take the recommendation to contact the attorney general's office in my state. I was more than 1/2 way through the dictation portion of the course, thankfully I didn't pay for the internship (the way it was set up seemed a bit shaky). It's very disheartening but we have shake it off and fight back any way we can.

vlc - Cher

[ In Reply To ..]
This is my first time on here. I guess you don't have access to my email address. But reply please.

Not a VLC 'victim' myself but - I may have some ideas to offer

[ In Reply To ..]
I second the motion to contact the attorney general's office in the state where VLC was incorporated, as well as establishing an online group for all those left in the lurch to get in touch and compare notes.

This is not an exact parallel to your situation, but it might be helpful. A few years ago I was part of a group that paid in advance for a convention, where the promoters essentially took our money and ran. Actually, they used it to fund other projects and wound up canceling our event, leaving us all dressed up with no place to go. Then they filed bankruptcy and declared that they would not be issuing any refunds, although their "terms of use" clearly stated that refunds would be issued if an event was canceled.

The attorney general in their state of incorporation did indeed open an investigation, and a police detective in the town where the owners lived also opened an investigation. There were also inquiries made to the Better Business Bureau.

What I haven't seen anyone suggest here, which MIGHT possibly help some of you, is getting in touch with your credit card company, if you paid for your course by credit card. That was an avenue that most of the people in our group explored. Some of us got refunds; others did not. I was one of the lucky ones. My credit card company basically saw it as goods and/or services that were paid for, but were not rendered and not refunded; thus, they issued me a charge-back. Other peoples' credit card companies simply drew a line in the sand and said it was too late to request a charge-back, because most of us bought our tickets in January and the event (which didn't happen) was scheduled for the following December. Actually, the fact that the event was not officially canceled until the day before it was scheduled to begin was one of the points that my credit card company held in my favor, as I could not exactly request a refund for a canceled service when the service had not been canceled yet, and thus they waived whatever refund request deadline might have been in place.

Someone established a group on LiveJournal where we all posted our stories, and helpful information we could use in our own pursuits, including screen-captures of pertinent documents from the convention promoters and e-mails. The state attorney general's office was known to visit the page, and the police detective who investigated the case used the page to contact us 'victims' and solicit our individual stories.

I am so sorry to hear that so many of you folks have been shafted, and I hope some of you are able to find some recourse. Please keep us updated on what happens, and I for one would be interested to learn if someone opens a LJ or Facebook page for this purpose. Best of luck to all of you.

VLC - Giex7

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your encouragement. I didn't think about also filing a complaint in the state VLC was incorporated. I did think about the credit card company but it's been 2 years, maybe I should try anyway. Thanks again.

It certainly can't hurt to try. - not a victim

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus, if you are first told 'no' by the credit card company, try chewing your way up the corporate ladder, all the way to the CEO if need be. Some years back I got into a dust-up with my bank, got nowhere with the minions who answer the phone lines, so I went to the library, looked up the company info in Standard and Poor (it was long enough ago that there was no internet to look it up), wrote down the name and address of the CEO, and wrote him a letter. I got a phone call a couple of days later from a high-ranking bank officer who fixed my problem (the problem the folks lower down had insisted could NOT be fixed) and apologized profusely that it ever happened in the first place.

Again... you may not get anywhere, but you won't know until you try. My theory is, the credit card companies have the resources (and the clout) to go after the assets (or the estate) of the vendor who stiffed the customer; resources that are not usually available to us customers.

Best of luck to all of you. Keep us posted on what happens.
vlc - Cher
[ In Reply To ..]
I received an email just a few minutes ago and one lucky soul did get a refund from her credit card company. So, anyone else out there who paid by credit card, get on the horn. I actually went to Hamilton to check out the VLC facilites myself. It was a typical mailout office with certain people hired to perform the functions required for the MT business. There was a receptionist, office staff, stock and shipping personnel. It seemed legite so I paid cash right then to get the 10% discount if paid in full. Atleast I have a receipt, but will that do any good? Bleak is the word that comes to mind, but never give up!

Similar Messages:

Virtual Learning Center Info Inisde.
Jan 09, 2010

I know nothing about VLC except for the posts I've seen here recently.  When I was on another site this morning about homeworkers, I saw this link about VLC closing as of 12/31 due to the death the owner from lung cancer.  Here is a link.   I have no idea how reliable any of this info is, but I thought it might help some VLC students.   http://www.homeworkers.org/about.html ...

Virtual Hug
May 19, 2015

Just gave my 2-week notice.  After working for this company for 18 years, first as full-time then dropping to part-time, I just can't do it anymore.  They took a job I absolutely loved doing and turned it into the most stressful, underpaid job I have ever had. I have read this board many, many times through the years and have laughed and cried.  This company is corporate greed at its best (worst?).  So, to all my "virtual friends" out there, thank you for listening ...

Virtual Machine
Apr 26, 2012

Has anyone used a virtual machine? My PC turned out to have an incompable operating system, so they are sending a virtual machine. I understand I will only be using their virtual machine to do the transcription. I am wondering I can still use my PC to research online while working, since I will probably be using the Internet connection on the virtual machine, right? ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

HELP! XP Virtual Machine In Windows 7.
May 09, 2011

My computer crashed. I bought a new computer that has Windows 7. The hospital I work for uses a Cisco VPN client that will not work with Windows 7. I bought the Windows 7 professional upgrade and set up the XP virtual system. Now everything works except my foot pedal (Infinity IN-DVIUSB). It seems this it is not truly a USB device but is a HIB device. I am going crazy without a foot pedal. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there a pedal that works with XP virtual machine? I tried t ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...

AP Hip, Center Pelvis
Dec 19, 2014

AP hip-centered pelvis or AP hip, center pelvis?    ...

Transcription Center In Mansfield, TX
Dec 09, 2009

Any one work for this company before???? Any info would be appreciated. ...

The Transcription Center, Mansfield TX
May 13, 2010

Has anybody ever heard of The Transcription Center out of Mansfield, TX.  I saw an ad looking for PT 0.08 cpl.  I am curretly working for 0.07 cpl and have been for three years.  Locked in at that rate in the contract.  Just wondering about the company before I attempt to switch.  The place I am with right now has steady work and are pretty good to work for, but that 0.07 cpl locked is kicking my butt! Thanks, ...

Front And Center-it Seems The LM People Who Got Their Pay Cut
Aug 17, 2010

are the lucky ones.  (see below threads)  I have received emails of many being just laid off without warning and MAYBE a week's notice.  Take this as a warning people!  We work at home and don't know what is going on until it is too late-except for MT STARS.  GET IT? ...

Nuance Benefits Center
Aug 07, 2013

Can anyone help me please. I have been trying since March to get someone from the benefits department of Nuance to help me. I cannot get a single person to return my calls or emails. Does anyone out there have a number for me? Please and thank you. ...

Teritituary Center, Can Not Spell This Word, HELP
Nov 16, 2009

x ...

Ever Apply To An At-home Call Center
Oct 16, 2012

I am seriously thinking of applying to a call center and hope I can use my past experience of 30 years of MT to get hired. Anyone ever hear of an MT getting a job at one of these places? ...

Beware: Cancer Treatment Center - Tulsa
Jul 27, 2010

It should have been a red flag when the S/O stated that this client could not find reliable help, that every kept quitting or just not signing on to work when they were supposed to.  They use SR software which has been loaded bugs and developed without the input of MTs (big mistake).   I had spent days on tech support lines (unpaid) for problems even the techs could not figure out. Their manuals for the software were for previous versions.  They require hardware that cost me ...

EQUIFAX Call Center In India - Time To Say No More!
Oct 14, 2010

I just got off the phone with customer service for EQUIFAX, i.e., one of the three major credit bureaus that your banks, credit card companies, courts, etc., report your financial information to.  Basically, if you have ever had a loan, lein, or judgement, they know about you.    In any case, I was checking my credit score and there was a problem requiring me to call customer service.  I called and was answered by Raj, who had an obvious dialect tha ...

Help, I Had A Day. Patient Has An Abscess With A Center Of (s/l Pruritic?) Material. Sm
Mar 16, 2011

I would not think this is correct because this means itchy.  He is definitely not saying pyopoietic.  I feel like I'm losing it....thanks. ...

Audio Transcription Center/Skill Bureau
Dec 03, 2012

Hello all, Has anyone had any dealings with Audio Transcription Center, which is apparently part of or associated with the Skill Bureau?  I got an email saying they wanted to talk tp me after I had already trained for a co. I was not excited about but needed a job. They want a typing test and then 4 audio files to be done for testing.  It's an IC position.  Could not get much information on the phone from the placement person.  Would be interested in any opinions/knowle ...

Foot Pedal Not Working With New Service Center
Aug 18, 2014

I just logged in to the new service center this morning and now my foot pedal isn't working.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions other than calling support? Thanks ...

Outsourced Call Center Work Being Brought Back To The US
Aug 18, 2010

Its about time!!!  Hopefully some MT will follow suit? http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/default.aspx?feat=1794247&GT1=33002 ...

Hillcrest Medical Center Beginning Med Trans-7th Edition
Feb 12, 2014

I found this book in a used book store.  Bought it becuase it has puzzles in the back I would like to do.  The DVD with supposedly the answers is missing.  Does anyone have this disk who can copy/paste the answers?   ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...

Is VR Really Learning?
May 19, 2011

Seriously...  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the doc was saying at one point, but VR inserted that the patient had a "menstrual valley illness"...  Glad I never had that!    ...

VR Learning
Aug 05, 2011

In a training on EditScript today, we were told in editing a report to change the whole word that is wrong, not just change on letter, for example, if it puts sever and the word is supposed to be severe, to change the whole word, not just add the e.  The trainer said that the system learns better that way.  So my question is, and I would have asked her if I had thought of it at the time, does VR learn when we use word expansions.  Is it learning from the keystrokes we use or from ...

Learning To
May 12, 2012

Please read my message on main board about learning to tweet.  I think we could make a difference with social media. ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

I Hate Learning This Way
Apr 01, 2010

I wish somebody would figure out a way to train new hires other than setting them down with only a few hours training and letting them type their entire shift without a word from anyone, only to have QA come in the next morning and correct all the reports. I hate learning this way, I do something wrong, spell something about the facility wrong, all night long only to learn the next day that it is wrong. It is such a waste of my and my QAs time to do it this way, it sucks. And heaven forbid you h ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...