A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Virtual Machine - Angie

Posted: Apr 26, 2012

Has anyone used a virtual machine? My PC turned out to have an incompable operating system, so they are sending a virtual machine. I understand I will only be using their virtual machine to do the transcription. I am wondering I can still use my PC to research online while working, since I will probably be using the Internet connection on the virtual machine, right?

you can get a router. have a sales person explain it. - basically...

[ In Reply To ..]
routers usually have 2-4 outlets, use one for your internet cable from wall to router, then plug both computers into the rounter as well. the cables look like heavy duty phone cords.

there are other ways - tell your local Best Buy or Office Max what you want to do, they'll help you out.

I love my VM - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I love my VM. I use VMware. It took awhile to wrap my head around the idea that it is a whole other computer. Needs to have virus checker and software installed on it. I use mine because my company's software won't run on Windows 7, needs XP. I just have the basics on the VM, company's software, Internet explorer and only use it for company's webpage and to research stuff for work, not for regular browsing. I switch back to my real computer for web surfing, etc. because it has better virus protection. You can switch back and forth very easily, though. Hope this helps.

Thanks!! - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you both for the info. I do have a router, just didn't know I could plug both into it. This sounds like it will work great. Does the Virtual machine come with it's own monitor or do I use one monitor/keyboard for both PCs? Thanks for taking the mystery out of this.

VM is on the desktop of 1 computer - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
No extra equipment is necessary. I was not responding to the above post, didn't understand that post anyway. My VM is on the desktop of my Windows 7 computer, hence the term "virtual." Its just software that acts like a separate computer. No extra monitor, its on the same monitor, you just hit Control and Alt at the same time to switch back and forth between computers (windows).

Windows 7 has virtual machine - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to install it if you have Windows 7, but you can work with several older programs installed. It is great It runs in the background.

Thanks - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks MT and Just Me. I recieved it on a flash drive - just plugged in and installed. Simple. I appreciate your replies!

Similar Messages:

HELP! XP Virtual Machine In Windows 7.
May 09, 2011

My computer crashed. I bought a new computer that has Windows 7. The hospital I work for uses a Cisco VPN client that will not work with Windows 7. I bought the Windows 7 professional upgrade and set up the XP virtual system. Now everything works except my foot pedal (Infinity IN-DVIUSB). It seems this it is not truly a USB device but is a HIB device. I am going crazy without a foot pedal. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there a pedal that works with XP virtual machine? I tried t ...

Virtual Hug
May 19, 2015

Just gave my 2-week notice.  After working for this company for 18 years, first as full-time then dropping to part-time, I just can't do it anymore.  They took a job I absolutely loved doing and turned it into the most stressful, underpaid job I have ever had. I have read this board many, many times through the years and have laughed and cried.  This company is corporate greed at its best (worst?).  So, to all my "virtual friends" out there, thank you for listening ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

Virtual Learning Center
Jan 08, 2010

I am another victim of Virtual Learning Center.  Can anyone recommend a reputable on-line MT school? ...

CPAP Machine
Dec 17, 2009

I have a patient with sleep apnea and the doctor states the pateint will need a "break" CPAP at home.  The only other thing it sounds like is a "brick" CPAP.  I don't think it's either, but definitely not brick.  I've done an extensive Google search so danged many times today with all of the crappy docs I've had, and I am so sick of Google, I could just about rip my computer off my desk and smash it against the wall.  Either that, ...

CPAP Machine S/l En-hence...
Dec 19, 2009

He has a history of sleep apnea and uses a CPAP machine _____ (s/l en-hence). Help? ...

Steno Machine And MTing
Oct 16, 2009

I have been using a steno machine to do this job since the year 2000.  I would have a difficult time returning to typing on a QWERTY board for MT'ing...way too slow and painful on the hands, etc.  On a good day on a familiar account, I can produce 250 lines an hour, no sweat.  I was trained in school to reach 225 words per minute, which I did back in 1992, to qualify to take the California state board exam.  I would encourage anyone to take the time and effort to learn s ...

S/l Doctor Horse Machine
Sep 14, 2011

This patient has carpal tunnel syndrome. Doctor says:  "she has been using rigid night splints,  (s/l) doctor horse machine, and ice packs which help her symptoms."  Help! ...

Question: If You Need A Fax Machine Or Printer For A Job...
Oct 14, 2014

Does that suggest you will need daily patient lists faxed to you that are hard to read and you have to stop and glean information from them that you are not being paid to do? Just wondering.  I just assumed all of that from the need of a fax machine.  Anyone else venture a guess?      ...

Virtual Learning Center Info Inisde.
Jan 09, 2010

I know nothing about VLC except for the posts I've seen here recently.  When I was on another site this morning about homeworkers, I saw this link about VLC closing as of 12/31 due to the death the owner from lung cancer.  Here is a link.   I have no idea how reliable any of this info is, but I thought it might help some VLC students.   http://www.homeworkers.org/about.html ...

Ghost In My Machine? Brand New Computer
Nov 26, 2009

I bought a new Dell back in August and have nothing but problems with it. First I had a ? board error, then for a few days had a keyboard failure. During all this, my font size keeps changing. One day I can barely read it (looks like this) and other days, (it looks like this). The menu bars now are so small, I can barely read them, yet the font size is so large, the words run off the edge of the screen. I have spent most of my time off work trying to figure it out. I went into display and ...

Got A Message On Machine Today From MQ Recruiter
Jun 02, 2011

I have been working for MQ for years! Wish I had been home to get that call and have fun playing along, LOL ...

Hey, I Read An Article Somewhere About Virtual Organizing For Union Purposes.
Jun 12, 2015

I read somewhere that the employees of Gawker, an on-line news medium, had organized and voted for a union. They did this completely virtually, over computers, thereby bypassing management's chance to try to stop the effort. I am wondering if we should do the same thing. I plan on doing a little more research on it. Wouldn't that frost Nuance's little cookies if we could do something like that?? ...

Good Morning. Help! Doc Is Saying Quick-look Echo On S/l Sono Cardiac Machine Sm
Feb 25, 2012

I'm thinking sono for sonogram, but not sure. Thanks! ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...