A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I hate learning this way - anon

Posted: Apr 01, 2010

I wish somebody would figure out a way to train new hires other than setting them down with only a few hours training and letting them type their entire shift without a word from anyone, only to have QA come in the next morning and correct all the reports. I hate learning this way, I do something wrong, spell something about the facility wrong, all night long only to learn the next day that it is wrong. It is such a waste of my and my QAs time to do it this way, it sucks. And heaven forbid you have more than 1 person doing QA and you get different information!

Sorry, just frustrated with a huge batch of e-mails every day telling me how much I don't know, and I've been doing this for nearly 10 years!

Learning - celloman

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate learning this way also, as a newbie, reading all the different points of view of how things are done, how things should be done and the number of what appears to be unhappy MT. I sad to find that when I started my training a little over a year ago, I learned what I thought would be more than comphrensive enough to get started in a new field, only to learn that after 10 years, someone telling you how much you don't know, but like others, I won't give up and I think I'm going to just go IC and make my own contacts in the community to get started.

Here's some helpful tips for you - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
Before starting an account, you have your acct specs. Get online and find that hospital. You save their page on your desktop cause their page has all the docs, RNs, RNPs names listed. You won't get those wrong.

On that web page, it shows city and state. From there, you go to search engine and type "nursing homes in Amarillo, TX" (as an example)...A list comes up - save that list to your desktop.

You do the same for "hospitals in Texas" - that page shows hospital names and city names. Also, you could go onto Wikipedia and type, "cities in Texas" - save it to your desktop.

Now, you can spelling nursing homes, rehab centers, cities, hospitals and docs' names without having to look it up all the time - it's on your desktop.

QA wants you to take the initiative to try to solve some of these problems yourself and you can. It's out there. Just prepare beforehand. :)

Few more tips... - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
For drugs, if you don't know how to spell them, shrink your work site and Google drug names. If you type s/l, it will usually ask you, "do you mean?" or it will bring up the drug. Just make certain that drug online matches patient symptoms.

Odd body parts you haven't heard before: Go to Grey's Anatomy - not talkin' McSteamy either -LOL. Online Grey's Anatomy has all body parts listed. If you're typing an eye op note, look up eye in Grey's Anatomy. A nerve you don't know? Look up nerves and you get a list.

Similar Messages:

I HATE MY JOB, I HATE THIS LIFE
Jul 09, 2011

I HATE that I am tied to my office just waiting for work to come in on two different companies.  I HATE that I just quit a third company because of LACK OF COMMUNICATION (gave my notice to Keystrokes, no response from ANYONE).  What is wrong with these people?  They demand certain things of us but we have no rights?  I HATE HATE HATE it and as soon as I possibly can find another job, I will LEAVE MT WORLD FOREVER.  I HATE THAT I HAVE NO LIFE WITH THIS PROFESSION.  H ...

End Of My Rope. Hate My Job, Hate What Has Become
Feb 18, 2014

of the medical field in general. What happened to all the American doctors? Has it become so blasted easy for foreigners to come over and get a job as a doctor or are Americans so damn-ass lazy that they don't want to get the education? Or is to so blasted expensive that no one can afford to become a doctor unless you are a foreign student? So freaking sick and tired of all these foreign dictators who speak so fast and sloppy. What the heck is going to become of our health care when we can& ...

Is VR Really Learning?
May 19, 2011

Seriously...  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the doc was saying at one point, but VR inserted that the patient had a "menstrual valley illness"...  Glad I never had that!    ...

VR Learning
Aug 05, 2011

In a training on EditScript today, we were told in editing a report to change the whole word that is wrong, not just change on letter, for example, if it puts sever and the word is supposed to be severe, to change the whole word, not just add the e.  The trainer said that the system learns better that way.  So my question is, and I would have asked her if I had thought of it at the time, does VR learn when we use word expansions.  Is it learning from the keystrokes we use or from ...

Learning To
May 12, 2012

Please read my message on main board about learning to tweet.  I think we could make a difference with social media. ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...

Learning New Specialty
Nov 14, 2012

Hey I am possibly going to interview with a Cancer Institute and I have no experience in this area. I am a 7 year medical transcriptionist and had a 7 year job in a small pediatric clinic for 4 doctors. What should I do to prepare if I work here and what things should I study and bring with me to work if I get the job? ...

Learning To Dictate The RIGHT WAY?
Jun 04, 2013

I am an experienced nurse practitioner with seven years of experience. Now that I am working in an acute care environment, I am required to dictact all of my consultations. I have a template from which I am dictating. But from the results of my transcriptions, I could use some help from medical transcriptionists on how to dictate the RIGHT WAY. Of course, I was never taught how to dictate. I was taught how to use the telephone to dictate, but I was never taught the right way to dictate clearly ...

Learning Curve>>
Aug 07, 2013

??How long do you give yourself when you start a new company to be up to snuff!  I don't know if it's because I'm a senior MT (not unlike a senior dog you try to train) and I just am having a real hard time with the making any money.  I hate demographics that waste my time and there are a lot of them.  Also a lot of new types of work I haven't done in years. Need advice because I'm not even making minimum wage.  It's just been a month - but I fee ...

Learning Curve
Oct 06, 2013

How long would you give yourself to be "trained" on an account. The company I work for has us switching all over the place and I cannot get proficient on one work type. Been there three months and barely averaging $8.00 an hour when I'm stuck on that work type. Any advice. I am thinking of jumping ship....... ...

It Doesn't Seem Like Anyone Is Learning
Mar 25, 2014

This is a two-sided message. It is painfully obvious that no one is learning anything from having failed audits. This being said, I think there are a few sides to this. First, the error weights are harsh for a lot of small errors. Second, the error weighs are not harsh enough for other errors. Third, and most importantly, no one seems to be taking the time to learn anything from the audits/feedback in order to improve themselves and their work, which leads me to what I would do if ...

Virtual Learning Center
Jan 08, 2010

I am another victim of Virtual Learning Center.  Can anyone recommend a reputable on-line MT school? ...

Learning Medical Prefix's And Such
Jan 26, 2010

Does anyone have any advice on how to remember all these prefix's-roots and such? thanks ...

Learning Acute Care
Jul 25, 2010

I have been doing clinics for 10 years.  Now I am learning acute care and it is very tough.  Lots of doctors and no time to learn each one of them.  Very tough.  Does it usually take a long time to learn this.  They say I am doing great, but lots of blanks! ...

What I Am Enjoying About Learning To Code
Sep 24, 2011

Hello all, I thought I would pop on here and let you know what I am enjoying about learning to code.  First off, I am a medical transcriptionist attemtping to transition into a new area.  I started taking the Andrews School program and am enjoying it.  It's difficult, but I am confident I am learning something.  I admit I do struggle with working as an MT because my mind wanders terribly, so badly I often have to go back and re-read the entire report to make certai ...

Mandatory Learning Module
Oct 08, 2013

Anyone else get an email today requiring them to do a mandatory learning module? At least they're paying. ...

Learning New Types Of Transcription
Jul 09, 2014

Do any of the transcription companies offer unpaid internships that help you move on to new types of transcription?  I've typed radiology for 20+ years.  I also have typed neurobehavioral psychology and pain management psychology.  But acute care I've not done (except radiology inside a hospital for 8 years).  Any info would be gratefully accepted. ...

Learning Coding And Can Someone Explain
Oct 02, 2014

I am currently studying to add coding to my skills. I kind of get it, but a bit confused on something. I understand CPC is through AAPC and CCS is through AHIMA. Here is what I'm not understanding and wonder if someone could please explain.  I'm studying to take the CCS exam.  Do physicians offices use something different for coding, or are these two credentials interchangeable with hospital and physician office coding. I read that Carol Buck's study guides are reall ...

Learning The Ribbon On MS Office
May 12, 2015

I need to learn how to use the ribbon at the top on the Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).  Does anyone know of a site that teaches this.  I have used MS Office probably since it was first created.  I tested in the 90s in each of them awhile back, but have been using 2003. I can do everything in that version, but the version with the ribbon I feel like I've never used the products before. Anyway...does anyone know of a site to learn the functions of the ri ...

Is Learning Microsoft Word 7 Difficult?
Oct 17, 2009

I have never used this for doing MT.  ...

Wasting Money Learning ICD-9 When ICD-10 Is Coming Out?
May 16, 2010

isnt that a really negative thing to say to someone? Correct me if Im wrong. It is my impression that a coder will need to know BOTH. Right or wrong? Some people seem to think they should just wait until 2013 and only learn ICD-10 I guess. ...

MQ Voice Recognition Learning Bad Habits!
Feb 19, 2011

Recently, I haven't been seeing errors like a temperature of 98 VII for 98.7, but just this morning, I've had two reports with an "I examination" rather than eye examination!  I mean, c'mon.  Where is it learning this stuff?   ...

Learning Curve From Bayscribe To BeyondTxt
Apr 12, 2011

Can anyone tell me how difficult or easy the transition was between Bayscribe and BeyondText (on the same account) and whether the volume of work suffered as a result?  Thanks! ...

Voice Recognition Training And Learning
May 21, 2012

Hi everyone.  I hope you are all having a good start to this week.  I was informed today that I will be required to train to do voice recognition editing.   I am very, very apprehensive.  My company is willing to pay per hour while I am learning this but is editing a hard thing to learn ??    I appreciate any feedback you can give me.   Thank you and if this post is in the wrong place, I am sorry.  Thanks again.  ...

Interesting What You Can Find Slogging Through MM Learning
Oct 07, 2012

homepage.  To get to instructions to ensure emails get answered  homepage - learning and developement - MT/ME - training - escalating requests.  ...

Learning Curve Time From DQS Version 2.x To 7.x?
Feb 02, 2013

Hi, I work for another company that uses M*M's DQS platform.  We're on version I think 2.0.2.0 or something, but some 2.x version for sure anyway.  They're going to upgrade us to 7.x (I assume 7.2) soon, and our boss says we'll have 1 day to get our line counts back up to normal, because all of the old key combinations work the same and nothing will really change except the onscreen appearance.  Is that realistic?  We get penalized severely if our lines ...

Why Don't They Pay Training Pay For Learning A New Acct, So Cheap
May 29, 2013

I got switched to another acct (not my idea) and it has 24 pages of rules and I don't get paid training pay to learn this new acct. So I went from making 450 lines per hour to 160 lines per hour so in essence, making around $6.00 an hour and the QA's gripe when you don't spend your time looking up something through the 24 pages of new acct rules.  Hey MM if you want us to spend hours looking up something before we learn the acct well then PAY US TO DO IT! CHEAP, CHEAP, C ...