A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

EQUIFAX call center in India - time to say no more! - ndmt

Posted: Oct 14, 2010

I just got off the phone with customer service for EQUIFAX, i.e., one of the three major credit bureaus that your banks, credit card companies, courts, etc., report your financial information to.  Basically, if you have ever had a loan, lein, or judgement, they know about you. 

In any case, I was checking my credit score and there was a problem requiring me to call customer service.  I called and was answered by Raj, who had an obvious dialect that I related to India.  He asked me my SSN, and I asked if this phone call was being answered by a center in the United States.  He stated that this call was being monitored for quality purposes, and gave me his name and ID number (Raj, ID #RXD).  He asked me a couple more personal questions, and I asked again if this call was being answered by a center in the United States.  He answered that they were headquartered in Atlanta, GA.  He then wanted my credit card information so I could re-order my credit score.  I asked him a third time where his call center was.  He answered India. 

I cancelled the transaction at that point stating I don't feel that our financial and personal medical information should be handled outside the United States. 

So, for everyone who thought your personal information was protected by the banking laws of the US or those of you who have terminated relationships with companies who offshore Americans' jobs and personal information, it would seem at least one of the 3 major credit bureaus is shipping it offshore for you.  I called my banker on it, and he stated that it was "disturbing."  I agree, and if this disturbs you, forward this on.

Unfortunately... - MTinFL

[ In Reply To ..]
You can't terminate business with the credit reporting agencies. Did you know that your credit report does not even belong to you? Incredible, but true. You are at their mercy when fixing something incorrect on your credit report.

My daughter had a similar experience. She contacted all 3 agencies. The first woman explained everything too her, said that what was incorrect on her credit report would affect her credit, and proceeded to rectify it.

The second agency was in India, probably the one you called. This guy told her that what she was trying to fix would not affect her credit and tried to end the call, but she corrected him and, unfortunately for him, he was forced to do his job.

Had she terminated the conversation, or let him terminate the conversation, she would still be having trouble getting credit.

I don't know what can be done about this. Yes, it's scary, but it looks like offshoring is infiltrating every facet of our lives anymore. Sometimes we can make choices about things (like only buying US goods...and good luck with that..), but many times, we are just without a choice.

Similar Messages:

Ever Apply To An At-home Call Center
Oct 16, 2012

I am seriously thinking of applying to a call center and hope I can use my past experience of 30 years of MT to get hired. Anyone ever hear of an MT getting a job at one of these places? ...

Outsourced Call Center Work Being Brought Back To The US
Aug 18, 2010

Its about time!!!  Hopefully some MT will follow suit? http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/default.aspx?feat=1794247&GT1=33002 ...

Reporting Time Pay Aka On Call Or Call-in Pay
May 08, 2015

I am considering requesting this pay which (depending on the state) considers us to be on-call and must be paid for part of our shift if no work. I have had it up to here with Nuance and running out of work, adding more and more accounts and STILL no work. Got a second job and STILL being screwed by Nuance in the sense that I cannot rely on my first job (income wise), because when there is enough work they manage to screw my cpl with their lovely FIESA, then as soon as I have no errors the work ...

Is Coding A Waste Of Time And Is It Really Be Outsourced To India?
May 20, 2010

this is quite worrisome! ...

(again) Got A Call This Time From A Nurse
Mar 02, 2013

and she knew someone who is almost retirement age, having trouble making ends meet, no husband -- now she didn't know if she could spell, but she could probably  type -- and figured maybe she could do what I am doing.  She didn't get along well with people, so it would have to be an at-home position.  ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!  and could I help her... now I have had numerous calls such as these over the years, but from a NURSE!?  You'd think at least she ...

For Conference Call Time For Listening To Vern's
Aug 11, 2012

Town Hall meeting do we put 1 hour or 1/2 hour? The conference call lasted approx 30/40 minutes but his email said 1 hour. How much time did you put in Teamwork for this? ...

We Should Make India Do All The Transcription - See How That Works For Ya,India.
Nov 06, 2010

Everybody leave Medquist....go get other work -- working at McDonald's pays more and has better benefits - at least you get to eat. And see how well India does all the transcription -- they can't do it -- we do the hard work and they get the cream.  We are sitting her dying with their bad machines and bad dictators. Let them have it -- they will corode. ...

AP Hip, Center Pelvis
Dec 19, 2014

AP hip-centered pelvis or AP hip, center pelvis?    ...

Transcription Center In Mansfield, TX
Dec 09, 2009

Any one work for this company before???? Any info would be appreciated. ...

Virtual Learning Center
Jan 08, 2010

I am another victim of Virtual Learning Center.  Can anyone recommend a reputable on-line MT school? ...

The Transcription Center, Mansfield TX
May 13, 2010

Has anybody ever heard of The Transcription Center out of Mansfield, TX.  I saw an ad looking for PT 0.08 cpl.  I am curretly working for 0.07 cpl and have been for three years.  Locked in at that rate in the contract.  Just wondering about the company before I attempt to switch.  The place I am with right now has steady work and are pretty good to work for, but that 0.07 cpl locked is kicking my butt! Thanks, ...

Front And Center-it Seems The LM People Who Got Their Pay Cut
Aug 17, 2010

are the lucky ones.  (see below threads)  I have received emails of many being just laid off without warning and MAYBE a week's notice.  Take this as a warning people!  We work at home and don't know what is going on until it is too late-except for MT STARS.  GET IT? ...

Nuance Benefits Center
Aug 07, 2013

Can anyone help me please. I have been trying since March to get someone from the benefits department of Nuance to help me. I cannot get a single person to return my calls or emails. Does anyone out there have a number for me? Please and thank you. ...

Teritituary Center, Can Not Spell This Word, HELP
Nov 16, 2009

x ...

Why Do MTSO Advertise, But Never Call Or If They Do Call, Nothing.
Feb 20, 2012

I am tired and frustrated from applying and sending out resumes only to be ignored.  It is like a game with them, I think.  MedGarde even has an interview which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills or qualifications.  In fact it seems like psychological testing to see if you are mentally competent or something like that.  I swear I feel like a mouse that is being tested and run through a maze to see how well you perform, but even mice will get the prize or food event ...

Virtual Learning Center Info Inisde.
Jan 09, 2010

I know nothing about VLC except for the posts I've seen here recently.  When I was on another site this morning about homeworkers, I saw this link about VLC closing as of 12/31 due to the death the owner from lung cancer.  Here is a link.   I have no idea how reliable any of this info is, but I thought it might help some VLC students.   http://www.homeworkers.org/about.html ...

Beware: Cancer Treatment Center - Tulsa
Jul 27, 2010

It should have been a red flag when the S/O stated that this client could not find reliable help, that every kept quitting or just not signing on to work when they were supposed to.  They use SR software which has been loaded bugs and developed without the input of MTs (big mistake).   I had spent days on tech support lines (unpaid) for problems even the techs could not figure out. Their manuals for the software were for previous versions.  They require hardware that cost me ...

Help, I Had A Day. Patient Has An Abscess With A Center Of (s/l Pruritic?) Material. Sm
Mar 16, 2011

I would not think this is correct because this means itchy.  He is definitely not saying pyopoietic.  I feel like I'm losing it....thanks. ...

Audio Transcription Center/Skill Bureau
Dec 03, 2012

Hello all, Has anyone had any dealings with Audio Transcription Center, which is apparently part of or associated with the Skill Bureau?  I got an email saying they wanted to talk tp me after I had already trained for a co. I was not excited about but needed a job. They want a typing test and then 4 audio files to be done for testing.  It's an IC position.  Could not get much information on the phone from the placement person.  Would be interested in any opinions/knowle ...

Foot Pedal Not Working With New Service Center
Aug 18, 2014

I just logged in to the new service center this morning and now my foot pedal isn't working.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions other than calling support? Thanks ...

Hillcrest Medical Center Beginning Med Trans-7th Edition
Feb 12, 2014

I found this book in a used book store.  Bought it becuase it has puzzles in the back I would like to do.  The DVD with supposedly the answers is missing.  Does anyone have this disk who can copy/paste the answers?   ...

Our Hospital Is Not Licensed To Carry S/l "famoxone" As We Are Not A Detox Center
Jan 21, 2011

xx ...

MM Apparently Opening A New "healthcare Technology Center"
May 14, 2014

Don't know what to make of that....just another example of how they want to invest in their Indian employees. If you call slave wages an investment that is. ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

ESL And India
Dec 02, 2009

Not trying to be ignorant of things, but I read A LOT of reference to ESL dictators and work going to India.  What are ESL dictators exactly?  I am asking because I've worked for this company only for a short time, but I don't have any dictators that are ESL (I am assuming English second language speakers correct)? other than what is normal for my region AND I also have not lost any work to India.  I am concerned though as it seems to be a trend.  I rarely run ...

India?
Aug 16, 2010

Concerning Global Info Systems. Someone said they outsource or are owned by Indians. Well, they say they just got a contract with US government (Department of Defense). A 5-year contract. Will they outsource that? OUR SECURITY AND COMPLIANCE MEETS DOD STANDARDS Out of only four businesses in the entire nation Global Info Systems won a contract with the government (Department of Defense) to work with their facilities in transcription. To qualify Global Info Systems had to pass all st ...

India??
Sep 24, 2010

Why are these Indians taking over our jobs?  Why are companies being bought out? Who is getting the money when these companies are bought?  The government is cracking down on illegal Mexicans being in US - so why are they not cracking down on Indians.  Are Indians legal here?  ...