A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many hours a week for courses? - EBB

Posted: Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in reality, it takes 35 or 40 a week.  I am not at that point in my life at this time, with two small children.  Thanks in advance!

I went to Andrews in 2005...sm - wasHappyMt

[ In Reply To ..]
at that time my daughter was about
1-1/2-years old. I studied during nap times and after she went to bed for the night, so probably about 5 hours a day, give or take. Linda gives you a year to finish the course. I finished in 9 months. I pretty much treated it like a job during that time, as I was ready to be done and get to work. It all depends how quickly you want to get to work. I cannot say enough good things about Andrews. It really does get you ready for a transcription career. I had no problem finding a job immediately after graduation. Then after working for only 4 months, I decided to stop working because the company I was with back then was only paying 7 cpl, and I was part-time, and I was paying someone to come stay with my daughter while I worked. So, I was just breaking even. After not transcribing for 4 years, I started back in 11/2010, and was again immediately hired by a company due to my excellent training at Andrews. When I decided to look elsewhere after my company was bought out in 10/2011, I tested with 2 companies and was offered a job with both. Again, I believe, due to my Andrews training. So, you really cannot go wrong there. Worth every penny of the tuition. Do not go the cheap school route. You will NOT save a dime if you cannot get hired after you graduate. Good Luck!

Cheap Route - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to Andrews and studied approximately 25-30 hrs a week and was finished in 9 months.

A lot depends on your concentration level--I have no small children at home, so worrying about the kid wasn't an issue--in general, your interest in the subject matter, and just how quickly you retain a particular subject matter. (Took me FOREVER to get Orthopedics and Cardiology, but sailed through the rest of it.

There is no pat answer, but if you are going to do it, do it right with the right school.

Similar Messages:

Out For Work, And Have 10 Hours From Last Week.
Nov 04, 2012

:( ...

Was Everybody Under 30 Hours Per Week Terminated?
Aug 15, 2013

That's the buzz on the other board. ...

Does Anyone Work 16 Hours/week
Oct 31, 2014

I am PT now but cannot, due to medical reasons, work the 24 hours required.  I am waiting to see if I get disability and, if not, will have to fight with a lawyer to try to get it, in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone works only 16 hours per week, if so, did you need a doctor's note to request this.  I can get a doctfor's note with no problem, but Im afraid MM will just fire me instead and I dont want that to happen until I get disability.  Thanks for any informati ...

Does Anyone Work 18 Hours/week
Jan 24, 2015

Due to medical reasons, I now work 20 hours/week, but have to cut back to 18 hours/week.  I read in the policies/procedures it is okay if you have a doctors note.  I can get a doctors note Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone is working 18 hours/week and if they gave you any grief or if you know of anyone being fired for requesting 18 hours/week.  Thank you for any information you can give me.   ...

Opinions Please...I Work About 15 Hours A Week
Jun 01, 2011

for a psychiatrist as a scribe from home.  He has also asked me to make reminder calls to patients for their appts the following day.  I use my land line to make the calls which is not blocked and is listed in the phonebook.  If the patient does not answer the phone I am to leave a message saying only "this message is for XXX, please call XXX at 123-4567 (his receptionist at the office)...as HIPAA forbids giving out any other information.  Rather than listening to the me ...

Anyone Know Of Any Companies Which Hire For About 15 Hours Per Week?
May 17, 2013

Just wondering if any of you know of any companies which are hiring part-time transcriptionists for 12 to 15 hours per week?  Thank you ...

Know Of Any Companies Where One Can Work Under 20 Hours A Week?
Apr 20, 2015

I'm looking to work preferably 16 hours a week. It can be IC, statutory, or employee status. I want to keep yearly income around $9000. I will consider 20 hours. Thanks in advance. ...

For MQ Part-timers Who Work 24 Hours/week...
May 08, 2010

how many of you only work 3 or 4 days per week (24 hours).  Do you split your schedule up and work only a few hours at a time?  I'm considering working only 3-4 days per week instead of my usual 5 and would like to know how you schedule your hours.  Thank you! ...

Why Are Companies Stuck On Everyone Working 40 Hours A Week?
Mar 02, 2012

I've got great experience and when I'm scheduled to work, I'm there working.  What the hell difference does it make if I only want to be scheduled for 6 hours on four of my weekdays?  Would they rather I said I would work 8 hours and actually only work 6 like a lot of people? I'm willing to work 10 hours on Sunday, so we're talking 34 hours a week and more if I have the time, and I'm not asking for benefits.  I'm so sick of this job search.  ...

Would You Rather Be Paid $14 An Hour, 40 Hours A Week Or Production At 8 Cpl? Sm
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do. ...

Only 9 Hours This Week And Full-time With Benefits And
Dec 27, 2012

happen before and I have another part-time job so I can't keep checking back and forth all day everyday to make up time. Anyone else every been in this situation? Tomorrow is Friday and I am not even close to 20 hours let alone 39?? I have put in tickets in remedy, but just curious if anyone else has ever been in this situation and what was the outcome? ...

39 Hours Is Considered The Full Week Correct? So We Just Need
Jan 01, 2015

put in enough unpaid hours to equal that? ...

How Many Hours Did You Spend As An Andrews Student A Week?
Jun 10, 2015

Their website says students spend 15 to 30 hours a week on coding practice and reading assignments.  I know everyone is different, with different abilities and other responsibilities, etc. but I am just wondering how many hours some of you spent a week while being an Andrews student?  I am going to start soon and I am getting excited! ...

No Work On A Friday Afternoon???? I'm Lucky If I Have 10 Hours This Week. Sm
Nov 30, 2012

Why oh why don't they lay me off??????? Sorry, just venting. ...

If You Drop To 35 Hours/week, Do You Still Get All The Full-time Benefits?
Dec 15, 2014

I'd like to drop 5 hours, but not if I have to pay more for health insurance, etc. ...

Anyone Know The Minimum Number Of Hours And Lines Per Week Required For Part-time
Aug 04, 2010

MT/ME positions at Medquist? ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

HIT Courses
Sep 09, 2012

For those studying for the RHIT, what school do you go to. Am looking for an on-line school as I live in a very small community with no higher education instutition close by. Any info would be helpful ...

Has Anyone Taken Any Courses Via
Oct 06, 2013

I downloaded the $12 intro modules for coding and billing and they sent a complementary medical terminology overview course. The terminology course has so many errors that I'm hesitating on going any further with this company. ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Just Completed My MT Courses. Now What???
Apr 27, 2010

I just completed my Medical Transcription course through Penn Foster. When I first decided I wanted to become an MT it was the being able to work from home and being home with my young son that was my deciding factor. Now after completing the course and getting an idea of what all is involved, I'm a little insecure about it all. I did ok in my courses, but being just "ok" isn't gonna cut it in the real world where the reports are not just for testing purposes, but for REAL people. I do ...

Online Mt Courses??
Oct 04, 2010

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online school that you know of that i could do MT course online. I am a stay at home mom that homeschools and would love to let this be a 2nd income to help supplement income with my husbands, and still be able to be at home. please anyone help. thanks!! Amy ...

At-home MT Courses
May 30, 2011

Hi.  Does anyone know of a reputable at-home MT training course?  I have someone asking me for help on that matter, and I don't know where to refer them.  Thanks!  ...

MT Refresher Courses
Jun 09, 2013

I've been out of MT for some time now and I'm considering taking refresher courses. Career Step offers them. Anyone have anything on them? Are they worth the money? If not, do you have ideas on the best way to re-enter the MT field? ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Online MT Courses For Certification....
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any online MT courses for certification that have financial aid?  Most of the ones I have come across so far have no financial aid, want payment up front, or want at least 200/month payment, which I cant do.  I was a MT for about 10 years, got out of it for a couple of years, and cannot seem to get a job now that I would like to return to it, so thought getting certified would help.  With our financial state though, I cannot afford a big payment of an ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...