A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT Refresher courses - Cydney

Posted: Jun 09, 2013

I've been out of MT for some time now and I'm considering taking refresher courses. Career Step offers them. Anyone have anything on them? Are they worth the money? If not, do you have ideas on the best way to re-enter the MT field?

I did not know they had a refresher course - Suggestion

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not know they had a refresher course. Two thoughts about MT refreshers in general, nothing to do with any school.

First, what exactly would you need to refresh? To me, MT is like riding a bicycle. If you did it before, shouldn't you be able to do it now? What would need refreshing? Med terms that are new since the last time you did this? How long is that? More to the point, how would a school know that to know what terms to include? And how exactly is a school going to identify terms used since some random date?

If you want to refresh your skills, a better plan would be to get a set of the recordings from Health Professions Institute. Their training programs are the gold standard. They have sets of acute care dictation, ESL, radiology and imaging, and lab and path. The acute care is what you will need.

http://www.hpisum.com/medical-transcription-store/career-development/

MT as a career is not doing well, as others will tell you. I would not recommend getting back into it. EHR point and click, VR, offshoring, and mega-MTSOs have ruined it. MT incomes are dropping. It really isn't a viable choice any longer. You might get back in, but I doubt it, and if you do, you may regret it.

My suggestion would be to use your money to retrain in a different field. Coding would let you use your existing knowledge, is secure, and allows for lateral and upward moves in health information. Or, you may have something else you prefer.

Career Step offers refresher courses - Cydney

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure if they will offer what I feel I need in order to improve and refresh my skills.

I worked as a transcriptionist in an OBGYN office some time ago and when they moved those positions out, I opted for a different job in another office. Now, this job has an uncertain future. They've already began laying off and we may have a year.

I'm looking at this because I want to work at home and I did like transcription. I feel I need significant refresher work for several reasons. I have no acute care experience, I have forgotten much of the pharmacology and other terms, I'm not confident in my editing skills, and I'm probably as slow as a turtle when it comes to typing right now...well at least when compared to other transcriptionists.

I felt that a refresher course was probably the way to go. I'd like to spend the next few months immersing myself in refreshing transcription skills so that I could feel confident enough to do the work.

Off and on over the years I've come here to MT Stars and I always read the same thing about how terrible it is to get into transcription. It really never changes. Not to say that it isn't true. It's just repetitive.

I will take your advice about HPI. I would like to get enough practice that would keep me busy for the next few months before applying for positions.

Thank you very much for your time.

More clarity please - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
How long have you been out of MT, and what type of MT'ing did you do? If you were doing family practice only and did it for only a year, I would taken an entire, good MT course. If you were doing acute care for 15 years and have been out of it only a year, you should be able to fall back into it, except for meds and surgery equipment.

I'm not sure how a "refresher" would be useful to anyone, unless they specifically customize it to your existing experience.

Agree with all of the - above...

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead of wasting $$ on MT courses of any kind, I would just take tests and see if I could get hired anywhere first. When you see what a dismal mess this job has become anymore, you would probably regret spending any money to pursue it.

I've been out of it for a few years... - Cydney

[ In Reply To ..]
It was in an OBGYN office and I wasn't there long before they outsourced all their transcription to another company. I had thought a refresher might be enough, but after some searching I realized an entire school would be better. Medical office skills are mostly what I have and those positions are hard to come by. Transcription offers more in the way of the options I need despite the job outlook.

Career Step is one of the schools I am looking at. I wanted Andrews, but I can't afford the large down.

Anyway, thank you for the wonderful advice.

If you only have clinic OB/GYN - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
...I don't think a refresher of any kind will help, as things have changed and you won't get to "pick" what specialty to transcribe. Also, clinic work is going by the wayside.

I, too, don't recommend investing any money in this, but if you do, I would choose Andrews. You could discuss the downpayment with the director of the school. She is very easy to talk to.

Well, okay, I'm not going to try and talk you out of going into this business, it sounds like you have made up your mind to do it.
Obviously, a lot of people are in this business despite your best efforts... - Cydney
[ In Reply To ..]
I knew that I would probably need quite a bit of schooling since my experience is so limited. I don't have a problem with that.

All this "gloom and doom" about this business hasn't kept people out of it. I'm not saying that it hasn't changed or that it won't be difficult. I have no doubt that it will be.

Of course when you have new technologies, businesses will adjust to the changes and jobs will be lost or moved. We live in the reality of a global economy where work is regularly shipped out of the country.

I do believe my expectations are realistic. I'm not looking for a lot of money. I'm hoping for part-time to supplement my current job for the time being. I don't expect it to last past a year from now.

I hope to focus on acute care which is where employers look. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get not only that education, but also get experience as well.

I do think if it was as dismal as everyone here insists, then we wouldn't see company after company looking for experienced transcriptionists. I think it's a far more competitive field than most experienced transcriptionists would like...it means less work and less money for them.

It also means that anyone with little to no experience has to work that much harder to get a foot in the door. If you're not willing to work and pay your dues, IMO, then no, I would say this field is most definitely not for you.
Companies are looking - For experienced MTs because
[ In Reply To ..]
...a lot of people have up and left this field.

Good luck to you. If you can get good schooling plus acute care experience and be finished with the entire career in a year, that is quite an accomplishment.
I doubt I could do all that in a year :) nm - Cydney
[ In Reply To ..]
n/t
Sorry - Misunderstood your post
[ In Reply To ..]
I misunderstood your post, sorry. I see now that you meant your current part-time job won't last past a year.

FYI: Nobody here is attempting to be doom and gloom. We're just very concerned and don't want to see you invest money to not make money.

I have 16 years of acute care experience and could no longer make any money in this biz (I'm talking barely minimum wage), so my decision was to get out.
I'd like to talk to you a year from now and see - how you did
[ In Reply To ..]
I honestly believe you are a little delusional, but hey, shoot for the stars. After a year, please do come back and post about how competitive and lucrative this field is.
I had no idea I was going on about all the money I'd make. nm - Cydney
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL.
never said you were - how you did
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't put words in my mouth. I just said I would like to hear from you in a year from now and see how competitive and lucrative it is then.

I think - She Thinks
[ In Reply To ..]
Whatever little money she makes will be worth whatever money and headaches she put into it.

I did not hear that she has any delusions about being lucrative. I think she doesn't realize the climb up and the headaches, only to come out with piddly wages.
I think she thinks - also
[ In Reply To ..]
I think she thinks that part-time jobs are available. She doesn't realize that national MTSOs don't hire part-timers like they used to.

She also doesn't realize that MTs now spend a lot of time being available for work and checking for work, but not getting any.

I guess she'll find out soon enough. You would want to help people avoid that, but when they accuse you of trying to eliminate them as the competition, hey, let them learn the hard way.

If she worked in a doctor's office, she should be familiar with the coding and billing aspects of it, enough that some specific training would give her something she could, in fact, do part time.

Cydney - You appear to be a hard
[ In Reply To ..]
worker and it has been my experience that there is no stopping anybody who is determined to make something work. I hope it all works out for you. If anyone can do it, you should be able to. However, any current MT will tell you that crossing your fingers in hopes of getting the education and experience might not be enough of a reality check. Many MTs are leaving this field because of low wages not to mention it can be a stressful job. You should expect to work weekends, holidays and/or evenings and work outside of your schedule (flex hours) if work is sporadic. Nevertheless, after you get re-educated, see if you can find work in a clinic, office or hospital that is willing to take on a newbie. That would probably be your best chance of gaining experience and then you can branch out to working from home. Wishing you all the best...
I do think if it was as dismal as everyone here insists, then we wouldn't see company after com - mt4toolong
[ In Reply To ..]
Companies are continually hiring BECAUSE MTS keep finding better jobs for decent pay. You are welcome to work this crappy job - have fun earning 4 cents a line.
That is what I am - Trying to explain
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because there are always ads for a given field, it doesn't mean it is an okay field to go into. It could mean there's a high turn-over rate. People coming in with rose-colored glasses, then the rose fades, and they get out.

There was also a very heavy surge of MTs getting out over the past 7 or so years, when ASR hit us in the face. I got out about a year ago, but I had a good run of it before then. I don't think anyone has a "good run of it" anymore. By "good run of it" I mean long-term.
They were probably advertising - (see msg)
[ In Reply To ..]
...staterooms on the Titanic as long as even 6 inches of it remained above water.

Doesn't mean a sensible person would have paid money for one.
To: They were probably advertising - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Very wisely stated! People need to evaluate the situation as it IS, not as they wish it to be.
Why the same companies are always advertising - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Some reasons these companies are always looking for employees:

1) Clunky platforms.
2) No flexibility in schedules.
3) No benefits.
4) Overnight shifts.
5) Every weekend.
6) Every holiday.
7) Such low cpl that experienced MTs know they wouldn't make a good paycheck on what they are offering.
8) Stressful QA scoring.
9) Rigid schedules.
10) Clocking in and out even to take a bathroom break.
11) Only counting time that your hands are touching the keyboard, NOT researching, which is a big part of our work. This results in much longer work days than 8 hours.
12) Running out of work daily even though you are required to sit out your shift. No work = no money = sitting at your computer for hours making $0.

Those are just some of the reasons. This is not to discourage you, but to let you know how much this field has changed. Also, the fact that those hiring newbies will be offering the lowest pay scale of them all, and part-time is now very rarely offered.
This post kind of boggles my mind. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Why invest any money, let alone thousands of dollars, to get a job that pays minimum wage, which is exactly what a newbie would make.

In the first place, being an MT is hard and it takes YEARS to get your ear trained to hear with 99% accuracy (99.6% if you work at MModal-haha).

To disregard the overwhelming opinion on this site (and elsewhere) that the MT biz is gasping its last breath for US MTs borders on delusional.

Cydney - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You know the old saying--free advice is worth what you pay for it, so feel free to ignore me. However, I have been in MT for 40 years (both as an MT and an MTSO) and I think you would be making a much better choice to go with Andrews. If you are to succeed with this at all, you need LIVE instructors (not an answer key) and the SUM program. Even so, it is iffy. When I quit (a year and a half ago), there were 400 applications for every job! That means you will be competing against seasoned MTs who know every specialty inside out. Of course, the choice is yours, but, given the state of the MT world today, and the competition being what it is, a good assessment of the situation is in order. Personally, if I were needing to hire an MT today (or 20 or 30), I would look for the Andrews education. My best advice would be for you to find some other field. That would be my advice to anyone in your situation. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Career Step - MTLady

[ In Reply To ..]
Yep, Career step has them, but look around before you decide on one.

Mt Refresher Cydney - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you not just try to apply and test with some of the companies and see how you do. I am sure it will come back to you in no time. You may not need a refresher course. I think the tests alone would be a refresher course. Some of them are pretty brutal. LOL. Good Luck. The test sites will also lead to the schools the companies prefer to accept applicants from. Inscribe Transcription has their own school.

Daisy - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Does Inscribe's school use the SUM program?

Similar Messages:

MT Refresher Course?
Aug 24, 2010

I thought M-Tec had three different courses.  I was just looking around and only saw one.  I am looking for a good brush-up course and don't want to waste what little money I have on a bad school, so thought I might have to look at total retraining at a good school since I cannot find any refhresher courses.  Does anyone know of a good refhresher MT course?  Your advice is appreciated.  Thank you in advance. ...

Considering MedTrans For Refresher
Feb 10, 2011

Yes, many may think I am nuts especially after already graduating from an accredited college with a specialized diploma in MT(and paying the student loans for it) but I am at the end of my rope.  Nance at MedTrans told me that they hire their graduates and that if I work for them for 6 months, I get the program fee back. If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, please, I would appreciate it. I am just getting frustrated at all of the "although your credentials are impressive, we desire ...

Refresher Training
Apr 12, 2011

I know that I just graduated and got my diploma in December/January. However, I feel that I need more training on things like styles, such as the forms in which each different type of report needs to be typed, etc. For instance, for an H&P- I need to get more training in the FORM that that needs to be done in- and other types of reports as well. I had a job that lasted all of 3 days; I am very upset that the training I got didn't seem to be enough for me to be familiar with the report s ...

HIT Courses
Sep 09, 2012

For those studying for the RHIT, what school do you go to. Am looking for an on-line school as I live in a very small community with no higher education instutition close by. Any info would be helpful ...

Has Anyone Taken Any Courses Via
Oct 06, 2013

I downloaded the $12 intro modules for coding and billing and they sent a complementary medical terminology overview course. The terminology course has so many errors that I'm hesitating on going any further with this company. ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Just Completed My MT Courses. Now What???
Apr 27, 2010

I just completed my Medical Transcription course through Penn Foster. When I first decided I wanted to become an MT it was the being able to work from home and being home with my young son that was my deciding factor. Now after completing the course and getting an idea of what all is involved, I'm a little insecure about it all. I did ok in my courses, but being just "ok" isn't gonna cut it in the real world where the reports are not just for testing purposes, but for REAL people. I do ...

Online Mt Courses??
Oct 04, 2010

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online school that you know of that i could do MT course online. I am a stay at home mom that homeschools and would love to let this be a 2nd income to help supplement income with my husbands, and still be able to be at home. please anyone help. thanks!! Amy ...

At-home MT Courses
May 30, 2011

Hi.  Does anyone know of a reputable at-home MT training course?  I have someone asking me for help on that matter, and I don't know where to refer them.  Thanks!  ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

How Many Hours A Week For Courses?
Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in re ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Online MT Courses For Certification....
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any online MT courses for certification that have financial aid?  Most of the ones I have come across so far have no financial aid, want payment up front, or want at least 200/month payment, which I cant do.  I was a MT for about 10 years, got out of it for a couple of years, and cannot seem to get a job now that I would like to return to it, so thought getting certified would help.  With our financial state though, I cannot afford a big payment of an ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Seeing The MT Training Courses Advertised All Over Again
May 29, 2013

Really rots they would take advantage of people's desire to stay at home and make a living. Flexible schedule, what's that? Availability of work, what's that? Decent salary, what's that? Wonder what the courses cost now? ...

Just A Note About Coding Courses
Sep 03, 2013

Coding courses do not all teach the same thing.  You need to be very aware of that when deciding on one.  A course that looks like a fantastic bargain will contain less. Some teach only outpatient "office" coding.  That does not require as much medical background or as much coding instruction.   They are shorter and less costly.  The AAPC  courses are outpatient only.  25% of these coders are unable to find jobs, especially without experience. Others teach bo ...

Need Advice About Online Courses
Dec 17, 2014

My daughter is a manager of a chiropractic office and wants to take an online billing and coding class. Could anyone please give some advice and/or rcommendations for a reputable school? I have read the posts about Andrews but would like other options to check on. Thank you in advance for any information!  ...

Getting Unsoliticed Spam From Coding For MTs Courses
Sep 13, 2012

Watch where you leave your name, phone number, and/or e-mail unless you don't mind getting spam e-mail (mostly) and unwelcome phone calls. I don't think you can get them to stop unless you want to get a reply with more pressure to enroll. In the future I will be very careful about putting my e-mail or phone number on anything. All I wanted was to be able to view the information online, no e-mail, no phone calls, no invasion of my privacy. What is this world coming to! Nobody respects t ...

AHIMA-approved Coding Courses
Dec 28, 2012

I was looking at going to Andrews School for medical coding, but many employers want those trained in AHIMA-approved courses, and Andrews is not.  I see that Career Step is, so I may go for that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!! ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

Has Anyone Very Successfully Finished Their Coding Courses Only To.....
Dec 02, 2013

Feel that it's not really what you want to do?  I finished my coding course at Andrews and truly don't feel that's what I want to do.  I feel disappointment in myself because I invested that much time in school and did very well, but I feel it's not really the job for me.  I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similiar? Did you just stick with it until you found a job and did your feelings change?   I kept try ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

When People Take The 'Shortcut' To Coding Courses, How Do They Reason It?
Sep 15, 2012

I would like to hear from some coding students who took shortcut coding classes about why they chose to do that? It seems purposeless if your goal is to get a job. It also seems entirely worthless if the goal is to become a professonal coder, because they won't be eligible for the credentials test that counts, the CCS.  Did I miss something? ...

Medical Transcription Courses - Which Ones Re Preferred By Employers?
Apr 10, 2013

I've been an LPN for 20 years and want to learn medical transcription for at home employment.  There are so many online courses out there.  Career Step is quite expensive and does not give credit for nursing experience.  Tempted by MTrans for Nurses.  Can anyone recommend an accredited online course that would help me find decent transcription employment at home opportunities.  Thank you in advance for any help.   Kate ...

Career Step Microsoft Office Courses
Jul 06, 2013

I want to increase my Microsoft Office skills. My local community college has classes in it, but I don't know if I would be able to make it work around my work schedule. Which is unfortunate because it would be fully paid through a scholarship. Career Step has Microsoft Office training that of course I could do any time through distance learning. Does anyone know anything about these courses, and if they're good or not? I wouldn't choose Career Step for coding or MT training, but ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...