A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would you rather be paid $14 an hour, 40 hours a week or production at 8 cpl? sm - Confused

Posted: Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do.

Wage - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a tough question because depending on the nature of the work, $14 an hour might be great, especially compared to others on here who say they don't even make minimum wage based on production...However, with all the jobs I have, I work on production and make $20 to $40+ an hour, but again that's because of the nature of my work. I have very easy doctors which makes a huge difference. Unless you know the nature of the work, it's hard to say which would be the way to go.

No question: WAGE!!! - Margo

[ In Reply To ..]

WAGE! And 8 cpl @ 150 lph = $12/hour - SH

[ In Reply To ..]
I would DEFINITELY choose a guaranteed hourly wage.

And like I tried to cram up there in my headline, 8 cpl is about $12 an hour for an average of 150 lines per hour, so $14 an hour would still be a couple dollars better anyway.

I would take$14 in a heartbeat - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in my job almost 3 years and make $8 to $10 an hour (typing 85-90 wpm). I would LOVE to be paid $14 an hour. ~ I think it depends where you work and what the platform is like though.

WAGE! - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
WAGE: Pays for your time for all the work you do.

CPL: Pays ONLY when your fingers are pounding the keyboard, and ONLY what ends up in the report.

With CPL, you are not paid for: research, spreadsheets, lists, signing in, signing out, reading and answering email, learning new software, setting up software, working with IT, creating tickets for problems, installing compatible programs and working out the bugs, phone calls, creating expansion programs, required lists and logs, setting up templates, character counts for client, invoicing, and ongoing education. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I've missed a lot.

ALWAYS accept hourly wage - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
An hourly wage is just that ... anything you do within the hour you are compensated for. A line rate is also just that ... you are paid for every 65-keystroke, but nothing else.

I really need to speak with the Labor Department about the legalities of this.

I would take what you type lph and calculate the difference - if you are making more, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
at 8 cpl then keep your job. If not, then take the hourly pay. Also consider other factors into the pay such as PTO and other benefits and base it on that.

I would ALWAYS take production pay. - because

[ In Reply To ..]
My account is also fairly easy. I type at least 2000 lines per day. The production pay would cheat me out of $48 per day or maybe more.

As previous poster said, you simply cannot make that decision unless you know the nature of the work, number of doctors, any "canned" text, etc. I feel like I should make at the very least $15 per hour on production or look for another job.

ANY hourly wage trumps a chintzy pennies-per - line wage, ANY day! Go for HOURLY. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Well since I have been lucky to be making $11 - per hour for several years

[ In Reply To ..]
now, I just accepted an in-house job at $16 per hour and danced all the way to the office. I say wage, wage, and more wage.

$14/hr x2000 hours is only $28k per year. Does that job - offer incentive pay so you can make more? Does

[ In Reply To ..]
the 8 cpl job offer primary and secondary accounts? How difficult or easy would they be; i.e, how fast could you be?

To me, knowing nothing beyond what you say, the hourly pay job is a sure loser; if that were the only choice, I would HAVE to look for a job outside the home that paid more. Don't fool yourself: These days that is LOW INCOME, high school dropout income.

The production pay job, OTOH, may offer the chance to make enough to justify working at home--or maybe even more. I'd have to give it my best and see how I did. On the plus side, I haven't made $28K working full time since I was a teenager, so there's reason to expect more.

Similar Messages:

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

How Much Production In An 8 Hour Day Can You Produce Doing VR?
Dec 06, 2012

nm ...

Anybody Not Paid By Production?
Aug 19, 2011

I keep hearing about how some MTs are not paid via production but rather like a salarie or something along those lines. They just have to do a minimum of so many lines per day. Anybody familiar with this? ...

How Does O/T Work When Paid On Production??
May 22, 2014

I started with Nuance 3 months ago but had my first week of "approved overtime" last week.   Does this change how much we're paid (I'm guessing no)?  I've never had to "clock in/out" before when being paid by the line, so I don't know how this works.   TIA!!! :0) ...

Imedx Cut In Production And/or Hours?
Mar 27, 2013

Wondering if anyone else working for Imedx been cut in production and/or hours? After three years and no explanation except it is slow, my QA position has had no work for over four weeks now. Wondering if anyone else in the same boat. ...

Don't Believe A Legal Medical Document Should Be Paid By Production.
Feb 01, 2011

How can something as important as someone's medical report be treated like a simple object that goes through a production line? I truly do not believe a legal medical document should be paid on a production basis, but rather a professional basis.   ...

Hospital Job Paid On Production. I Can't Make Any Money
Jan 29, 2014

When did hospital jobs get almost as bad as working for a service?  When I have had hospital MT jobs before, we were either paid hourly, or hourly base pay plus incentive.  It was possible to make $22 to $25 an hour. I have also worked on production for a service and for myself and I can usually do 200 lph very easily, 250 lph if I'm concentrating, 300-350 lph if I'm concentrating and getting good dictation (that I'm familiar with and know what they are going to say ...

Paid By The Hour?
Nov 26, 2011

There is a local position here in town for $15 an hour doing medical transcription.  It's with an individual office.  Maybe too good to be true?  I'm working for an MTSO right now and will be switched over to editing soon.  A pay-by-the-hour job sounds great, but I'm wondering about the drawbacks... ...

Paid By The Hour
May 17, 2012

I've worked on a new MT job for a week and it is paid by the hour. Their software keeps track of the time. The platform works fast too. I really like this job and it takes some of the pressure off to make lines. It is straight typing now and will go to VR soon and the pay does not change. Didn't know MT jobs existed like this one but sure glad I found it. ...

2-hour, 2-hours?
Apr 28, 2010

Hello. I've got something I've been wondering about. I know that when saying something like "There is a 2-hour window ..." I should hyphenate 2-hour. What about when the word is plural? For example, 2 hours, 30 minutes, 4 days, etc. Do I hyphenate there? I work freelance for a lawyer doing SS disabilty claims, and he is extrememly laid back about rules (nor do I get any specific feedback) and I just do what I think is right, so I love to have somewhere I can go for experianc ...

Would You Choose Webmedx Production Versus Local Hospital Salary Of $17/hour
Aug 13, 2010

Which would be the best choice?  In the event that you had a great account at Webmedx on 3rd shift based on production rates, which would give you the most money?  Decisions, decisions!  Any comments? ...

Are We Paid For The 2 Hour Tutorial? NM
Sep 05, 2010

nm ...

Paid 0.25 Hour Breaks X2?
Jul 11, 2013

In my state, there are supposed to be 2 paid 15-minute breaks if one works 8 hours.  I questioned my company HR about this and was told "there was a slight amount added to our line rate"  to cover this.  What??  how is that a break.  I am wondering:  1.  How many companies do this?   2.  Do any pay for the 15-minute break? 3.  How many states honor this?  (check with your state Labor Relations Board). ?  ] 4.  Is there a legal ...

What Are The Pros/cons Of Being Paid By The Hour
Jan 01, 2011

I am a newer mt and was just wondering what are the pros and cons of being paid by the hour versus by the line?   TIA ...

Anybody Know What Paid Hours Are At Medquist?
Jun 30, 2011

I'm at MQ Central, looking at where it tells us how our PTO is accrued.  At the end of the document it says that accrued PTO is based on paid hours rather than hours worked. What's the difference between a paid hour and an hour worked? Anybody care to enlighten me?   ...

Do We Get Paid For Overtime Hours?
Aug 06, 2012

I have a few hours of OT on my timesheet.  I know we get paid by the line and holiday incentives but what if we have OT hours?   ...

Nearly 2 Hours And Still Down?? We Will Get Paid For All This Downtime, Won't We?
Sep 26, 2014

x ...

40-hour Week Definition
Nov 09, 2010

I work in the medical transcription industry. My employer is in TN.  We are required to work 40 hours per week, and we are paid on the basis of lines of dictation we transcribe per day.  Many days there is not enough work during a shift (a shift given us by our employer) to complete our 8 hours of work.  This means that in order to comply with company request, we have to work 2 to 3 hours at night to complete our 40 hours, even though we have sat at our desks and continually check ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

PAID EVERY WEEK????
Oct 07, 2010

Does anyone out there know of a transcription company that pays every week????  Any help would be helpful...thanks! ...

What Is The Report Paid Hours Option For?
May 30, 2011

xxx ...

How Many Hours A Week For Courses?
Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in re ...

Out For Work, And Have 10 Hours From Last Week.
Nov 04, 2012

:( ...

Was Everybody Under 30 Hours Per Week Terminated?
Aug 15, 2013

That's the buzz on the other board. ...

Does Anyone Work 16 Hours/week
Oct 31, 2014

I am PT now but cannot, due to medical reasons, work the 24 hours required.  I am waiting to see if I get disability and, if not, will have to fight with a lawyer to try to get it, in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone works only 16 hours per week, if so, did you need a doctor's note to request this.  I can get a doctfor's note with no problem, but Im afraid MM will just fire me instead and I dont want that to happen until I get disability.  Thanks for any informati ...

Does Anyone Work 18 Hours/week
Jan 24, 2015

Due to medical reasons, I now work 20 hours/week, but have to cut back to 18 hours/week.  I read in the policies/procedures it is okay if you have a doctors note.  I can get a doctors note Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone is working 18 hours/week and if they gave you any grief or if you know of anyone being fired for requesting 18 hours/week.  Thank you for any information you can give me.   ...

Get Paid For PTO Hours If You Don't Give 2 Weeks Notice?
May 23, 2012

Hello.  I'm considering quitting MModal and I need to know if you have to give 2 weeks' notice if you want to get paid for your PTO hours accumulated.  Thanks! ...

On Our Timecards, Do We Choose Report Paid Hours
Oct 13, 2012

instead of Production Hours?  I want to add some PTO to my timecard this pay period but I don't know how.  I went to learning under HR but still can't figure out how to add PTO. Gracias! ...

First Week SR, Made $5/hour. Can Someone Decipher What The Piecerates Mean?
Nov 06, 2011

nm ...

Making Line Quota In 40 Hour Week? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I can't seem to do it, crappy account with lots of ESL. Are other folks working off the clock or is it permissible to be on the system until you reach quota? ...