A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

online mt courses?? - amy

Posted: Oct 04, 2010

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online school that you know of that i could do MT course online. I am a stay at home mom that homeschools and would love to let this be a 2nd income to help supplement income with my husbands, and still be able to be at home. please anyone help. thanks!!

Amy

this is where I went - newmt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Amy,
I went to At-Home Professions. I have heard some negative things about it, but in my experience it was very positive and I learned a lot, and graduated with a high GPA. The work is done at home, at your own pace. You can either e-mail your assignments in or else send them in by mail. The school sends you everything you will need-course material, reference books, etc. As far as online courses go, I do not know of any, but At-Home Professions is great if you want to study at home at your own pace. Hope that helps. Good luck!

newmt2 - Hiring partner

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure, it might be great in terms of studying at home, but how many AHP people have really been able to get--keep--and function well on their jobs? That is the true test, not how wonderful it is to work at home.

I have - newmt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I am one of those people, and I love my job!

Amy, you really need to read this board for new MTs and (sm) - RealisticMT

[ In Reply To ..]
the other boards on here as well. I have over 25 years experience as a MT and while I firmly believe that MT is not the dying profession that so many make it out, you do need to go into this with realistic expectations.

You stated that you are a stay at home mom who home schools your kids. Most of us are working anywhere from 8 to 12 hours or more to make a halfway decent living. Pay has been cut in this field for various reasons, most of the platforms are not user friendly, thus making it difficult to meet your line count or a decent line count each day and you are literally working all of the time to earn a living. Also, most of your companies out there require you to work a schedule.

I am not being negative, I am trying to be realistic for you. Again, check the various boards on this site and do a lot of research. I do wish you the best!!

online MT Course - emily84

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Amy. Your goal of becoming a SAHM and an MT is definitely within range. I also studied through At Home Professions. They have excellent cirriculum and I graduated with good grades; however, I could not work from home when I was done b/c the offices/hospitals I talked to all wanted experience. I ended up going to Med Workshops and taking their Mentored Internship and then I was guaranteed a job. I interned for six weeks, and have been working for almost a year now. If you have questions, feel free to email me. I work from home, too. And have a small daughter. If you have questions, I will answer them if within my power! Good luck!

The mistake many people make - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
A mistake many people who want to become MTs make is this.

They take a course and then find out later that it didn't help them learn what they needed to learn to get a job. Employers don't recognize it as being effective training. So what do they do? They enroll in a second course that is equally as bad or even worse. If the idea is to save money, it doesn't work.

FutureMT - Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
I just bought a course from FutureMT. They take payments too. After they receive the first payment they will send you the package of a book, foot control, and a CD-ROM that is basically the book on a disc. I've had to call them numerous times for silly questions and they are always very nice. They won't give me answers to the book questions though... bummer! I definitely prefer them. I'm a stay at home mother and wife with no car of my own so I really needed this at home course.

Similar Messages:

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Online MT Courses For Certification....
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any online MT courses for certification that have financial aid?  Most of the ones I have come across so far have no financial aid, want payment up front, or want at least 200/month payment, which I cant do.  I was a MT for about 10 years, got out of it for a couple of years, and cannot seem to get a job now that I would like to return to it, so thought getting certified would help.  With our financial state though, I cannot afford a big payment of an ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Need Advice About Online Courses
Dec 17, 2014

My daughter is a manager of a chiropractic office and wants to take an online billing and coding class. Could anyone please give some advice and/or rcommendations for a reputable school? I have read the posts about Andrews but would like other options to check on. Thank you in advance for any information!  ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

MT Retraining Free Online College Courses
Sep 05, 2014

Here are a list of sites that offer free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) college classes/coursework/tests online, some come with certificates of completion but you have to enroll by a deadline usually and once you do enroll you should treat it like a class you pay for.    coursera.com  Stanford,Yale edX.com openculture.com   Harvard and MIT  ocw.mit.edu  almost all of MITs course content is available online for free   Not all offer cer ...

HIT Courses
Sep 09, 2012

For those studying for the RHIT, what school do you go to. Am looking for an on-line school as I live in a very small community with no higher education instutition close by. Any info would be helpful ...

Has Anyone Taken Any Courses Via
Oct 06, 2013

I downloaded the $12 intro modules for coding and billing and they sent a complementary medical terminology overview course. The terminology course has so many errors that I'm hesitating on going any further with this company. ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Just Completed My MT Courses. Now What???
Apr 27, 2010

I just completed my Medical Transcription course through Penn Foster. When I first decided I wanted to become an MT it was the being able to work from home and being home with my young son that was my deciding factor. Now after completing the course and getting an idea of what all is involved, I'm a little insecure about it all. I did ok in my courses, but being just "ok" isn't gonna cut it in the real world where the reports are not just for testing purposes, but for REAL people. I do ...

At-home MT Courses
May 30, 2011

Hi.  Does anyone know of a reputable at-home MT training course?  I have someone asking me for help on that matter, and I don't know where to refer them.  Thanks!  ...

MT Refresher Courses
Jun 09, 2013

I've been out of MT for some time now and I'm considering taking refresher courses. Career Step offers them. Anyone have anything on them? Are they worth the money? If not, do you have ideas on the best way to re-enter the MT field? ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

How Many Hours A Week For Courses?
Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in re ...

Seeing The MT Training Courses Advertised All Over Again
May 29, 2013

Really rots they would take advantage of people's desire to stay at home and make a living. Flexible schedule, what's that? Availability of work, what's that? Decent salary, what's that? Wonder what the courses cost now? ...

Just A Note About Coding Courses
Sep 03, 2013

Coding courses do not all teach the same thing.  You need to be very aware of that when deciding on one.  A course that looks like a fantastic bargain will contain less. Some teach only outpatient "office" coding.  That does not require as much medical background or as much coding instruction.   They are shorter and less costly.  The AAPC  courses are outpatient only.  25% of these coders are unable to find jobs, especially without experience. Others teach bo ...

Getting Unsoliticed Spam From Coding For MTs Courses
Sep 13, 2012

Watch where you leave your name, phone number, and/or e-mail unless you don't mind getting spam e-mail (mostly) and unwelcome phone calls. I don't think you can get them to stop unless you want to get a reply with more pressure to enroll. In the future I will be very careful about putting my e-mail or phone number on anything. All I wanted was to be able to view the information online, no e-mail, no phone calls, no invasion of my privacy. What is this world coming to! Nobody respects t ...

AHIMA-approved Coding Courses
Dec 28, 2012

I was looking at going to Andrews School for medical coding, but many employers want those trained in AHIMA-approved courses, and Andrews is not.  I see that Career Step is, so I may go for that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!! ...

Has Anyone Very Successfully Finished Their Coding Courses Only To.....
Dec 02, 2013

Feel that it's not really what you want to do?  I finished my coding course at Andrews and truly don't feel that's what I want to do.  I feel disappointment in myself because I invested that much time in school and did very well, but I feel it's not really the job for me.  I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similiar? Did you just stick with it until you found a job and did your feelings change?   I kept try ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

When People Take The 'Shortcut' To Coding Courses, How Do They Reason It?
Sep 15, 2012

I would like to hear from some coding students who took shortcut coding classes about why they chose to do that? It seems purposeless if your goal is to get a job. It also seems entirely worthless if the goal is to become a professonal coder, because they won't be eligible for the credentials test that counts, the CCS.  Did I miss something? ...

Medical Transcription Courses - Which Ones Re Preferred By Employers?
Apr 10, 2013

I've been an LPN for 20 years and want to learn medical transcription for at home employment.  There are so many online courses out there.  Career Step is quite expensive and does not give credit for nursing experience.  Tempted by MTrans for Nurses.  Can anyone recommend an accredited online course that would help me find decent transcription employment at home opportunities.  Thank you in advance for any help.   Kate ...

Career Step Microsoft Office Courses
Jul 06, 2013

I want to increase my Microsoft Office skills. My local community college has classes in it, but I don't know if I would be able to make it work around my work schedule. Which is unfortunate because it would be fully paid through a scholarship. Career Step has Microsoft Office training that of course I could do any time through distance learning. Does anyone know anything about these courses, and if they're good or not? I wouldn't choose Career Step for coding or MT training, but ...

Online Course??? Help Me!!!
Jan 28, 2010

i have a question for working mt's.  i have decided that i want to get into the mt field and try to work from home if at all possible, while raising a family. i was going to look into doing an online course and i'm just not sure which "school" would be a good choice. it seems that its so hard to find out which school is actually legit. i know there are some schools that are supported by the adhi and accp. and im not sure if "at home" jobs are actually obtainable to ...

Looking For Online ICD-10-PCS
Jan 25, 2014

of any good online education for this alone?  I see AHIMA has one.  I am looking for others.  AHIMA's online courses don't suit me.  I suppose it would look good on a resume, but I want to LEARN it well.  So if anyone has come across a good online course in ICD-10-PCS, please post.  Thank you! ...

Online Library
Mar 02, 2010

Here's something that might be useful to you all who have library cards with your own local library.  I'm not sure if all libraries are connected to netlibrary.com, but mine is. Here's the thing: http://www.netlibrary.com I went there and signed up by using my local library card.  There are a ton of books, in both ebook (pdf) format as well as available for audio download (free).  You can search by subject, author, etc., For instance, when I put "start a business ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Do The Online Med Insurance
Apr 25, 2011

I was able to get onto the web site but I don't see anything there that indicates enrollment for this new UnitedHealthcare MS MRA insurance.  All of my existing elections are there, but no place can I find anything regarding open enrollment.    Have any of you guys been able to find it?  If so, please let me know.  I tried calling the "benefits" number on Friday, but I got a recording that there were closed for the holiday...LOL.  Not me....I had to work all ...