A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RHIT courses/certification - Laree

Posted: Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Advance!

My opinion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know anything about the College of DuPage but it is listed on the CAHIIM website as an accredited school for the RHIT program. I would only attend a school that is accredited on the CAHIIM site. Also, University of Illinois-Chicago is a good school for the RHIA program. I am looking at attending this school when I finish my Associate's Degree as it is all online and this is an excellent college.

RHIT/RHIA colleges - Laree

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate hearing from you about U of I-Chicago. From what I can tell its RHIA program is great, and I like that it is online if you have your RHIT. I think I will pursue this through College of DuPage since it is very close to my home and then transfer to U of I-Chicago to finish the RHIA later. It's a big undertaking but should be worth it later on when done! Thanks again.

The main thing to consider . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The main thing to consider is whether all of the coursework from the 2-year program will transfer to the RHIT program. Although most will take the HIM courses, since those are pretty much standardized by AHIMA, they might have different general requirements or might not accept certain courses from other schools. Anatomy often doesn't transfer, for instance, or you can meet the requirements at a 2-year school with a particular math, but the 4-year wants a higher course.

Aside from differences in the college's requirements, most of those programs are exactly the same. AHIMA specifies the content. The schools often use the same books and materials, and if the course is online they often have little to no instruction, so there are few differences except cost.

One recommendation would be to take a program that also focuses on health informatics, because that is becoming more and more important.

You do not need to do an RHIT or RHIA program to be a coder. Those programs often produce poor coders due to limited exposure to the subject and academic approach. The best plan would be to do a coding-only program first so that you learn to code well enough to work in coding. Once you have a coding certification, you can work and continue on in school. Even if you had to take the coding courses over again, it would only be a few courses, you would not struggle with them, and your chances of passing them would be better.

If you have a college degree already, do not do the RHIT-RHIA route. You can do a certificate program for the RHIA and be on your way in no time. The University of Toledo has a good online Certificate in Health Information Administration that only takes about a year and is affordable even if you are out of state.

RHIT for coding - Laree

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all your helpful information. I only have a 2-year certificate right now, so I would have to get a degree, unless I go the CPC route. I have 18 years of transcription experience and have done a little radiology coding and insurance coding in my past, too. So the academic route might work out well for me. We'll see. Thanks for all your tips -- very helpful.

I think you are misunderstanding something - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The way you phrased your last response makes me wonder if you have been misinformed about something.

You said "I only have a 2-year certificate right now, so I would have to get a degree, unless I go the CPC route." The clue is "unless I go the CPC route."

Yes, you would need an AA degree for the RHIT and a bachelor's for the RHIA, but that is ALL you need them for. You do NOT need either degree for coding or to certify in coding. You also do not need an RHIT to progress on to the RHIA. You can go straight to the RHIA and if you are planning on this, don't waste money taking the RHIT.

AHIMA's CCS and CCS-P credentials have no prerequisites whatsoever. You do NOT need to have attended an approved or accredited program, or ANY PROGRAM AT ALL. You need no experience. You don't even need to be an AHIMA member. Anyone can take the tests--just pay your money and take them.

AAPC's CPC, CPC-H, and CPC-P credentials do not require completion of any program or degree, but they require you to be a member. You can take the exam without experience, but if you do not have experience you will receive the certificate with an apprentice designation on it until you have 2 years of full-time experience in that type of coding. (That doesn't seem to hamper job prospects.)

Further, the AAPC credentials are not substandard certifications, so I'm not sure why you would call it "the CPC route," as if it were second-class. It is certainly not. AAPC just certifies coding that is based in the outpatient or physician-services arena, while AHIMA focuses on the inpatient or hospital arena. Neither is easier or less noble than the other, but the job market is a little different and that isn't a bad thing.

No, you do not need an RHIT to code. An RHIT is not a coding certification. Neither the RHIT nor the RHIA are "higher" than the coding certifications. Mastery level is demonstrated by the AAPC and AHIMA coding certifications. In other words, the coding certifications are higher.

I don't know why anyone would want to forgo employment in coding while completing associate's and then bachelor's degrees. Coding pays so much more than other fields, including MT, that it would be better to learn coding, get a job in coding, and begin to accrue experience and all that added income, than it would be to continue in a lower-paying job for the 3 or 4 years doing an associates and for the 3 or 4 years doing a bachelor's.

Similar Messages:

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...

Online MT Courses For Certification....
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any online MT courses for certification that have financial aid?  Most of the ones I have come across so far have no financial aid, want payment up front, or want at least 200/month payment, which I cant do.  I was a MT for about 10 years, got out of it for a couple of years, and cannot seem to get a job now that I would like to return to it, so thought getting certified would help.  With our financial state though, I cannot afford a big payment of an ...

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION
Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records? ...

HIT Courses
Sep 09, 2012

For those studying for the RHIT, what school do you go to. Am looking for an on-line school as I live in a very small community with no higher education instutition close by. Any info would be helpful ...

Has Anyone Taken Any Courses Via
Oct 06, 2013

I downloaded the $12 intro modules for coding and billing and they sent a complementary medical terminology overview course. The terminology course has so many errors that I'm hesitating on going any further with this company. ...

How Do You Get Your RHIT? Also Does It Pay More?
Aug 05, 2010

How does one go about getting their RHIT after the coding certifications?  Are there classes and schooling involved?  or just the exam?  thanks in advance ...

Should I Go For My RHIT Or
Sep 20, 2012

take a coding course? I cannot afford to do both at this time. I was also wondering if I were to go through HIM to get my RHIT if I could also get my CCS and CPC with just the HIM courses? I hope that makes sense. Thanks. ...

RHIT
Feb 12, 2013

Can anyone tell me if the RHIT degree is only useful for coding and billing?  What kind of jobs are available to an RHIT with an associates in applied science?  ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Just Completed My MT Courses. Now What???
Apr 27, 2010

I just completed my Medical Transcription course through Penn Foster. When I first decided I wanted to become an MT it was the being able to work from home and being home with my young son that was my deciding factor. Now after completing the course and getting an idea of what all is involved, I'm a little insecure about it all. I did ok in my courses, but being just "ok" isn't gonna cut it in the real world where the reports are not just for testing purposes, but for REAL people. I do ...

Online Mt Courses??
Oct 04, 2010

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online school that you know of that i could do MT course online. I am a stay at home mom that homeschools and would love to let this be a 2nd income to help supplement income with my husbands, and still be able to be at home. please anyone help. thanks!! Amy ...

At-home MT Courses
May 30, 2011

Hi.  Does anyone know of a reputable at-home MT training course?  I have someone asking me for help on that matter, and I don't know where to refer them.  Thanks!  ...

MT Refresher Courses
Jun 09, 2013

I've been out of MT for some time now and I'm considering taking refresher courses. Career Step offers them. Anyone have anything on them? Are they worth the money? If not, do you have ideas on the best way to re-enter the MT field? ...

Is RHIT Worth It?
Sep 13, 2010

The hospital where I live has 4 openings for coders, but they all require that you have an RHIT certification.  I know in order to have this you must have an AA degree.  How many of you have this and would it be better to have this rather than study at Andrews or Career Step? ...

CCS Without RHIT (Considering Andrews)
Feb 26, 2011

Coders: In a situation where a new graduate of a program has the CCS but not the RHIT, do you believe this would be an obstacle to finding employment? I notice some jobs say CCS or RHIT and some want both. I am weighing the pros and cons between attending a program that I know will prepare me to pass the CCS (Andrews) versus a program to earn a degree that will make me eligible to take the RHIT and, hopefully, pass the CCS. For background, I am a medical transcriptionist and also will graduate ...

How Many Hours A Week For Courses?
Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in re ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Seeing The MT Training Courses Advertised All Over Again
May 29, 2013

Really rots they would take advantage of people's desire to stay at home and make a living. Flexible schedule, what's that? Availability of work, what's that? Decent salary, what's that? Wonder what the courses cost now? ...

Just A Note About Coding Courses
Sep 03, 2013

Coding courses do not all teach the same thing.  You need to be very aware of that when deciding on one.  A course that looks like a fantastic bargain will contain less. Some teach only outpatient "office" coding.  That does not require as much medical background or as much coding instruction.   They are shorter and less costly.  The AAPC  courses are outpatient only.  25% of these coders are unable to find jobs, especially without experience. Others teach bo ...

Need Advice About Online Courses
Dec 17, 2014

My daughter is a manager of a chiropractic office and wants to take an online billing and coding class. Could anyone please give some advice and/or rcommendations for a reputable school? I have read the posts about Andrews but would like other options to check on. Thank you in advance for any information!  ...

Terrified To Take The RHIT Exam
Feb 07, 2012

I got a degree in health information technology in 2007 by an AHIMA certified program. I did it after I got laid off from a transcription job and getting fed up, realizing I would be more marketable with the degree. I continued to work in QA at home and never took my RHIT because I was worried I'd fail and not get my money back for it. I feel like more doors would open up for jobs if I could get it. I wasn't very good with my coding classes and the statistics stuff plain old terrifies ...

RHIT Or Registered Nurse
Apr 15, 2012

Just wondering what the majority thinks about these career paths. It seems as though a lot of MTs are moving or considering a move  to the RHIT/RHIA world of especially medical coding. I am assuming that the lure of 'work at home' is pulling many in this direction, and I have actually seen where many are questioning whether medical coders are 'paid per code' or 'paid per case' or what? I asked myself what are these people thinking? Has anyone experienced this, ...

What Other Jobs Can Those With RHIT Credentials Do
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious what else RHIT's can do besides coding? ...

Should I Skip The RHIT And Go For RHIA?
May 09, 2012

So, I'm confused and could use some advice.  I am in an accredited HIT program all online to receive my AA degree and sit for the RHIT.  I have just two semesters left to complete the program.  I am very unhappy with the education I have received, and I am not sure I could even pass the RHIT.  I am considering quitting this program and enrolling in a bachelor program where I can sit for the RHIA (it's a healthcare informatics degree through WGU).  I am wonderin ...

MTs With RHIT Please, And How To Pick A School?
Nov 15, 2012

Wow, I'm a little confused. I hope to train for coding for if/when my in-house transcription job dries up, so I asked around the hospital about whether I should get my RHIT. (Yes yes I know I can't go into full-fledged coding the day I get the RHIT. I want to be in position to help out in the transition to ICD-10.) Response was positive, and they suggested any program accredited by AHIMA. Doesn't this leave out Andrews? People on this site seem to like Andrews. My state has ...

Wondering If Anyone Here Has Taken The RHIT Exam?
Nov 30, 2012

I am going to be taking it in February and I've already begun studying for it, but I'm wondering if I'm studying too early for it?  Or maybe there isn't even such a thing as studying too early?! I'm already freaking out about this test! ...

Former RHIT Looking To Get Back Into Coding
Jan 06, 2014

I have my AA degree and sat and passed for the RHIT about 10 years ago.  I worked as a coder for just one year before I decided to become an MT.  Obviously, this is a choice I now regret.  I no longer have my RHIT so I would need to study for it, but so much has changed since then and I'm not quite sure where I should go for refresher courses?  I've checked out AHIMA and they have a few options for me, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or if they've t ...

RHIT Vs. Coding Cert.
May 13, 2014

I am RHIT eligible and would definitely need a refresher before I took the test.  If I am looking for coding positions, would it be better to have a coding certification or the RHIT? Does it matter? ...

RHIT Prepare You For Coding
Jul 23, 2014

I see programs to sit for RHIT but does that prepare you for coding?  Is it required to get your CCA for that?  ...