A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just completed my MT courses. Now what??? - jna

Posted: Apr 27, 2010

I just completed my Medical Transcription course through Penn Foster. When I first decided I wanted to become an MT it was the being able to work from home and being home with my young son that was my deciding factor. Now after completing the course and getting an idea of what all is involved, I'm a little insecure about it all. I did ok in my courses, but being just "ok" isn't gonna cut it in the real world where the reports are not just for testing purposes, but for REAL people. I don't want to be responsible for making a mistake on their record and take the chance that the insurance be billed wrong or worse, the patient recieving the wrong treatment or medication!  I really think I need some on-site experience working in an office under someone before I would really feel comfortable working on my own at home. If there was a way I could work at home and have live support when I came across a term or something I didn't understand or have someone double check my work before it goes out, that would be perfect. But unfortunately, I don't think that kind of support exists. : (

I literally just finished my schoolwork as of yesterday and my final two grades haven't even posted yet, but I need to know where to go from here. I'm ready to put my time and money spent on my education to use! I have a resume, but no cover letter yet. Any suggestions or helpful advice? Thanks!

well - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to ease your fears a little, if you can find a job that hires new graduates, many places put new hires on full QA from anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. They have someone check every single report that goes out.

However, I would strongly suggest you try to get on at at your hospital if you can. They will give you the best training and feedback, and will be more willing to hire new grads.

Thanks for the info - jna

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info! I'm still a little nervous because what happens after that "couple of days or couple of weeks"? I know it would take me longer than that to be good enough to make it on my own. I fell in the trap of being a single mom who wanted a quick, inexpensive education for a good paying career that can be done from home. Now over a year and nearly a thousand dollars later, I am feeling so unprepared and wishing I hadn't cut corners. (And I'm still terrible with commas!) But what's done is done and I need to make the most of what I DID learn. Besides, like you said if I get a job at a hospital I will get more training.

I did apply at my local hospital several months ago and told them I was taking MT courses and was almost done. I made follow-up calls and they would just blow me off. So I think by now I've got the hint they don't want me. My next plan of attack is to get my resume out to all the doctor's offices and clinics in my area. I would like to work for one of them for awhile until I feel comfortable enough to work from home. Just hope there's something out there. Even if I have to do non-MT related work, like patient registration or something, at least I will have my foot in the door and it will help build my medical terminology!

Thanks again for your advice!

To Be A Beginning Medical Transcriptionist: Some Hints - On Having a 4.0 GPA

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's say you have two brand new MTs and both of them have a 4.0 GPA. One went through a course taught by successful MTs and got a huge amount of transcription practice while the other one got lots of theory, tons of medical terminology, but less practical transcription experience. In fact, the second one only transcribed reports that had been dictated by paid actors or sometimes 'read by' doctors, which is entirely different than being dictated by real doctors. The second one got grades, but no really detailed feedback and has no confidence at all.

The first one will test well and probably will be placed at a higher level from the beginning and will be given raises more frequently than those with less transcription experience.

The second one, with what you might call an inferior education, heavy on theory and short on practical transcription experience, has a problem. One solution would be to try for a job in a doctor's office, somewhere outside the home where there are other duties in addition to the transcription. Then, over time, that person will be able to build the experience needed for the better jobs and maybe even work from home over time.

That's just one scenario. It may not fit your circumstances, but it may be spot on for some other readers.
yep - jna
[ In Reply To ..]
Yep. I think the second one is exactly where I'm heading! Thanks for your input!

Similar Messages:

MT To RN Anyone Considered Or Completed?
Sep 11, 2012

I am considering going back to school to get an RN.  After speaking with a few RN friends in my area I am looking deeper into the possibilities.  They recommended our community college with its 2 year degree program.  This school also works closely with a major health facility here in town for recruiting.  I have been on the hospital's job opening emails and along with multiple openings weekly for RNs (days, nights, and prn) and my nurse friends' agreeing there is a ...

Has Anyone Here Completed The Andrews Course And
Apr 02, 2014

not been able to find a coding position?  It seems like the best option, but everyone around here locally wants 5 years experience, so I guess the only other way to get started is as a doctor's office receptionist/biller/coder, which is what they do around here & it doesn't pay well at all because most offices will just train you on the job. My 19-year-old daughter got on doing it but started at $8.50/hr, now up to $9.  Five years as an office girl at a doctor's offi ...

Completed Allied Course - Feeling Unprepared...
Apr 25, 2010

I have recently completed the Allied MT course, and as I begin to test for companies, I realize that I am not prepared for the real world of the MT. As I have already spent a great deal of money, taking the Andrews course is not a viable option for me. If I could turn back time..... Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of ways that I could obtain some "real world" practice so that I may be better prepared for my career? I have searched for mentorships, as I would love to have an MT to help ...

Can Andrews' Coding Course Be Completed In Less Than 12 Months?
Jan 24, 2011

I've been looking at both Andrews and Career Step for online coding classes.  One thing that I've noticed (other than the cost differences) is that the Career Step course can be completed in as little as 4 months.  It seems the Andrews course takes a minimum of 12 months.  Is it possible to complete it in less time or is that frowned upon?  If I had the extra money and time, I would probably be leaning toward Andrews (particularly since I already completed thei ...

Just Completed Training On EMDAT/Inscribe
Jul 20, 2012

I've just completed training on EMDAT/Inscribe. Can anyone tell me if they work with this platform and is it hard? I used DQS, Chartnet, Bayscribe,etc., but this seems to be a little confusing. I still don't know how I leave a blank for QA. ...

Completed The CPC-H Course And Passed Final Exam
Aug 12, 2012

I just passed the final exam for the AAPC CPC-H course! After completing the 24 chapters, one just have to take the test; I waited and stressed out about it, but then finally decided on a day and took the final. I am an MT with decades of experience who got outsourced yet again and had my pay cut in half.  I am extremely glad I have a chance at another career, even if I am in my late 50s. What can I lose? ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Sending Completed Work With Express Scribe?
Dec 16, 2009

My boss wants me to send my completed work using my software.  I know Gearplayer can do this, but can Express Scribe (whcih is what I use).  I get my dictation via FTP through Express Scribe, but can it send my completed work back through FTP? ...

I Need A Secure FTP Site To Send Completed Dictations!
Jun 30, 2013

WOO HOO! I landed a private account. I have looked online to find a reliable FTP server or the like for sending the completed files back to the clinic. Would any of you be so kind to let me know of reliable ones that are inexpensive or free? I'd be forever grateful!! Cruisinlady ...

HIT Courses
Sep 09, 2012

For those studying for the RHIT, what school do you go to. Am looking for an on-line school as I live in a very small community with no higher education instutition close by. Any info would be helpful ...

Has Anyone Taken Any Courses Via
Oct 06, 2013

I downloaded the $12 intro modules for coding and billing and they sent a complementary medical terminology overview course. The terminology course has so many errors that I'm hesitating on going any further with this company. ...

RMT Prep Courses
Feb 22, 2010

I have a question regarding the different prep courses offered for the RMT exam. There is one offered through OAK Horizons and one offered through Career Steps. I am wondering if anyone has used them and found them to be helpful at all or a complete waist of money. I really want to earn my RMT status, but I graduated from my mt course a little over a year ago and think that I could really use a refresher course. Any thoughts about these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ...

Online Mt Courses??
Oct 04, 2010

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online school that you know of that i could do MT course online. I am a stay at home mom that homeschools and would love to let this be a 2nd income to help supplement income with my husbands, and still be able to be at home. please anyone help. thanks!! Amy ...

At-home MT Courses
May 30, 2011

Hi.  Does anyone know of a reputable at-home MT training course?  I have someone asking me for help on that matter, and I don't know where to refer them.  Thanks!  ...

MT Refresher Courses
Jun 09, 2013

I've been out of MT for some time now and I'm considering taking refresher courses. Career Step offers them. Anyone have anything on them? Are they worth the money? If not, do you have ideas on the best way to re-enter the MT field? ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

How Many Hours A Week For Courses?
Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in re ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Online MT Courses For Certification....
Jun 14, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any online MT courses for certification that have financial aid?  Most of the ones I have come across so far have no financial aid, want payment up front, or want at least 200/month payment, which I cant do.  I was a MT for about 10 years, got out of it for a couple of years, and cannot seem to get a job now that I would like to return to it, so thought getting certified would help.  With our financial state though, I cannot afford a big payment of an ...

Online Coding Courses
Aug 07, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knew of or attended any good acredited online billing and coding schools. Right now we only have one vehicle so I need something that is online and offers financial aid.  My local college does offer it but not online and the classes are at times that I'm working so an online school is what I need. Thanks ...

Seeing The MT Training Courses Advertised All Over Again
May 29, 2013

Really rots they would take advantage of people's desire to stay at home and make a living. Flexible schedule, what's that? Availability of work, what's that? Decent salary, what's that? Wonder what the courses cost now? ...

Just A Note About Coding Courses
Sep 03, 2013

Coding courses do not all teach the same thing.  You need to be very aware of that when deciding on one.  A course that looks like a fantastic bargain will contain less. Some teach only outpatient "office" coding.  That does not require as much medical background or as much coding instruction.   They are shorter and less costly.  The AAPC  courses are outpatient only.  25% of these coders are unable to find jobs, especially without experience. Others teach bo ...

Need Advice About Online Courses
Dec 17, 2014

My daughter is a manager of a chiropractic office and wants to take an online billing and coding class. Could anyone please give some advice and/or rcommendations for a reputable school? I have read the posts about Andrews but would like other options to check on. Thank you in advance for any information!  ...

Getting Unsoliticed Spam From Coding For MTs Courses
Sep 13, 2012

Watch where you leave your name, phone number, and/or e-mail unless you don't mind getting spam e-mail (mostly) and unwelcome phone calls. I don't think you can get them to stop unless you want to get a reply with more pressure to enroll. In the future I will be very careful about putting my e-mail or phone number on anything. All I wanted was to be able to view the information online, no e-mail, no phone calls, no invasion of my privacy. What is this world coming to! Nobody respects t ...

AHIMA-approved Coding Courses
Dec 28, 2012

I was looking at going to Andrews School for medical coding, but many employers want those trained in AHIMA-approved courses, and Andrews is not.  I see that Career Step is, so I may go for that.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!! ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

Has Anyone Very Successfully Finished Their Coding Courses Only To.....
Dec 02, 2013

Feel that it's not really what you want to do?  I finished my coding course at Andrews and truly don't feel that's what I want to do.  I feel disappointment in myself because I invested that much time in school and did very well, but I feel it's not really the job for me.  I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or anything similiar? Did you just stick with it until you found a job and did your feelings change?   I kept try ...

Any Students In Coding Courses Found Mistakes?
May 21, 2012

I am almost done with a course that was put together by the credentialing organization.  Now that I am almost done, I have gathered my notes on the course inconsistencies and incorrect answers to submit my comments to them so this doesn't happen to the next student.  I would like to hear the coders' and students' thoughts on this. Doesn't someone take the entire course and fix/correct BEFORE it is offered as a course?  ...

When People Take The 'Shortcut' To Coding Courses, How Do They Reason It?
Sep 15, 2012

I would like to hear from some coding students who took shortcut coding classes about why they chose to do that? It seems purposeless if your goal is to get a job. It also seems entirely worthless if the goal is to become a professonal coder, because they won't be eligible for the credentials test that counts, the CCS.  Did I miss something? ...

Medical Transcription Courses - Which Ones Re Preferred By Employers?
Apr 10, 2013

I've been an LPN for 20 years and want to learn medical transcription for at home employment.  There are so many online courses out there.  Career Step is quite expensive and does not give credit for nursing experience.  Tempted by MTrans for Nurses.  Can anyone recommend an accredited online course that would help me find decent transcription employment at home opportunities.  Thank you in advance for any help.   Kate ...