A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many hours did you spend as an Andrews student a week? - Minnie

Posted: Jun 10, 2015

Their website says students spend 15 to 30 hours a week on coding practice and reading assignments.  I know everyone is different, with different abilities and other responsibilities, etc. but I am just wondering how many hours some of you spent a week while being an Andrews student?  I am going to start soon and I am getting excited!

Good Question!! - TBel

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the same question! I'm starting the course in August. My biggest concern is that if it's closer to 30 hours a week, I'm going to have to find a way to adjust my current work schedule. Regardless, I'm very excited to start as well. This is the beginning of a totally different career path for me!

Why they say 15 to 30 hours a week - Andrews Grad

[ In Reply To ..]
Most Andrews students work. The course is designed to suit both working and nonworking students. About the minimum time you will need to spend on it in order to finish in 12 to 18 months is 15 hours a week. Working students should be able to handle that -- it is just a bit over 2 hours a day.

Students who are not working should be able to manage twice that, 30 hours, which is about 4 hours a day.

Note that this does not mean one student completes a lesson in 15 hours while the other spends 30 hours on the same lesson. It means that one completes one lesson in 15 hours for that week, while the other completes TWO lessons during her 30 hours that same week.

You will want to approach this just like it is a part-time second job. Be very organised and set time limits for everything you do.

There is a great course on Coursera right now called "Learning How to Learn." It talks about the new theories about how we learn. Very different from what you might have been taught before. It might really help you, plus it is very interesting and fun. The professor who does it is fascinating. It is also free and self-directed. Google it!

Similar Messages:

Andrews Future Student, Question About CPC
May 13, 2012

Hi!  I am registering for coding classes at Andrews this week.  I just finished the AHIMA A&P course, passed the final exam, and after doing extensive research through the threads here on MTStars, I have decided to continue my coding studies through Andrews.  My future goals are to hold both the CCS and the CPC credentials in the future.  I read the Andrews grads are passing the CCS right out of school.  Great!!   Do I need two years of coding experience ...

Graduated From Andrews About A Week Ago
Jul 28, 2011

I graduated from Andrews about a week ago and am thrilled to say I got a job already! I had only sent out 4 resumes and took 1 test. I am posting just to show there are jobs out there for newbies and of course it does matter where you go to school I think. So newbies stay positive and you will find a job! ...

How Many Hours A Week For Courses?
Dec 20, 2011

Hi.  I'm wondering for those of you who either attend/attended M-Tec or Andrews, about how many hours per week do you spend on the classes (total, including all studying)?  M-Tec's website says 25-30 hours.  Do you find this to be accurate?  I did not see an answer on the Andrews website.  I want to be sure before I commit that I have the necessary time to spend on the course.  While I'm willing to put 30 hours in, I do not want to find out that in re ...

Out For Work, And Have 10 Hours From Last Week.
Nov 04, 2012

:( ...

Was Everybody Under 30 Hours Per Week Terminated?
Aug 15, 2013

That's the buzz on the other board. ...

Does Anyone Work 16 Hours/week
Oct 31, 2014

I am PT now but cannot, due to medical reasons, work the 24 hours required.  I am waiting to see if I get disability and, if not, will have to fight with a lawyer to try to get it, in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone works only 16 hours per week, if so, did you need a doctor's note to request this.  I can get a doctfor's note with no problem, but Im afraid MM will just fire me instead and I dont want that to happen until I get disability.  Thanks for any informati ...

Does Anyone Work 18 Hours/week
Jan 24, 2015

Due to medical reasons, I now work 20 hours/week, but have to cut back to 18 hours/week.  I read in the policies/procedures it is okay if you have a doctors note.  I can get a doctors note Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone is working 18 hours/week and if they gave you any grief or if you know of anyone being fired for requesting 18 hours/week.  Thank you for any information you can give me.   ...

Opinions Please...I Work About 15 Hours A Week
Jun 01, 2011

for a psychiatrist as a scribe from home.  He has also asked me to make reminder calls to patients for their appts the following day.  I use my land line to make the calls which is not blocked and is listed in the phonebook.  If the patient does not answer the phone I am to leave a message saying only "this message is for XXX, please call XXX at 123-4567 (his receptionist at the office)...as HIPAA forbids giving out any other information.  Rather than listening to the me ...

Anyone Know Of Any Companies Which Hire For About 15 Hours Per Week?
May 17, 2013

Just wondering if any of you know of any companies which are hiring part-time transcriptionists for 12 to 15 hours per week?  Thank you ...

Know Of Any Companies Where One Can Work Under 20 Hours A Week?
Apr 20, 2015

I'm looking to work preferably 16 hours a week. It can be IC, statutory, or employee status. I want to keep yearly income around $9000. I will consider 20 hours. Thanks in advance. ...

For MQ Part-timers Who Work 24 Hours/week...
May 08, 2010

how many of you only work 3 or 4 days per week (24 hours).  Do you split your schedule up and work only a few hours at a time?  I'm considering working only 3-4 days per week instead of my usual 5 and would like to know how you schedule your hours.  Thank you! ...

Why Are Companies Stuck On Everyone Working 40 Hours A Week?
Mar 02, 2012

I've got great experience and when I'm scheduled to work, I'm there working.  What the hell difference does it make if I only want to be scheduled for 6 hours on four of my weekdays?  Would they rather I said I would work 8 hours and actually only work 6 like a lot of people? I'm willing to work 10 hours on Sunday, so we're talking 34 hours a week and more if I have the time, and I'm not asking for benefits.  I'm so sick of this job search.  ...

Would You Rather Be Paid $14 An Hour, 40 Hours A Week Or Production At 8 Cpl? Sm
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do. ...

Only 9 Hours This Week And Full-time With Benefits And
Dec 27, 2012

happen before and I have another part-time job so I can't keep checking back and forth all day everyday to make up time. Anyone else every been in this situation? Tomorrow is Friday and I am not even close to 20 hours let alone 39?? I have put in tickets in remedy, but just curious if anyone else has ever been in this situation and what was the outcome? ...

39 Hours Is Considered The Full Week Correct? So We Just Need
Jan 01, 2015

put in enough unpaid hours to equal that? ...

No Work On A Friday Afternoon???? I'm Lucky If I Have 10 Hours This Week. Sm
Nov 30, 2012

Why oh why don't they lay me off??????? Sorry, just venting. ...

If You Drop To 35 Hours/week, Do You Still Get All The Full-time Benefits?
Dec 15, 2014

I'd like to drop 5 hours, but not if I have to pay more for health insurance, etc. ...

Anyone Know The Minimum Number Of Hours And Lines Per Week Required For Part-time
Aug 04, 2010

MT/ME positions at Medquist? ...

How Long Do YOU Spend On A Blank?...
Apr 30, 2010

One of the team leads sent an email out emphasiziing the importance of exhausting all resources before leaving a blank.  I feel like I do.  Just curious, how long do you think is an appropriate amount of time to spend researching a blank?  I say 3-5 minutes max.  After all, we are paid on production.  ...

How Much Time Do You Spend On Demographics?
Apr 30, 2014

I have an account where the doctors never enter demographics. I'm spending 5 minutes on each report filling in demographics and cc's from doctors who only slur a last name.  Many partial doctor names need to be Googled.  If I do about 36 reports a day at 5 minutes each with demographic research then I'm spending 3 hours of my shift working for nothing!   How is it for the rest of you? ...

Do You Spend 80% Of Your Life Worrying About Your Bad Job
Jun 13, 2015

It just seems to me that many MTs spend the majority of their lives worrying about the next bad thing that their employer is going to do to them. No solution. It just occurred to me that a lot of lives are gettng wasted hour by hour because of employer abuse or perceived employer abuse. Your choice. ...

Why Do People Spend Time On This Board...
Mar 04, 2010

when you don't work for the "Q" ? Why do you care what is going on here?  I'm just curious.  ...

I So Wish Every Person Above Me On The MM Totem Pole Would Spend A Day Doing My Job.
Mar 13, 2012

Doing ASR, I feel like I am typing backwards all day long. It's like when I was in typing class in high school backspacing to correct all the errors. This ASR makes me feel like I am taking 2 steps forwards, 5 steps backwards all day. It's so demotivating. ...

How Much Time Do You Spend Reading Email?
Jun 24, 2015

My QC sends out these extremely wordy emails several times a week.  I end up skimming them, for a couple reasons.  One, because I work on so many different accounts/hospital sites that I'm truly never going to retain any of the information anyway. Second, and most importantly, I DON'T GET PAID TO READ THEM! This can't be legal and has been bugging me forever.  Do they seriously think we get paid enough per line to "compensate" reading email?? What do you all do? ...

How Many Spend Considerable Time Correcting Demographic Errors?
Mar 21, 2013

I can't believe the number of errors entering the wrong demographics, apparently by the clients, that we have to research and clean up for zero pay! ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Student/ New Mt
Nov 28, 2009

I am currently a student and will be finished with my studies in a few weeks.  I really need some information on the software I will need in addition to MS Word/ Works and what pedal to get.  I also need direction on getting working as soon as possible.  Part time from home is what I really need as I am currently working a 40+ an hour job until I can go to full time transcribing.  Any information that would get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. ...

EX VLC Student
Dec 29, 2009

Has anyone heard about what VLC has done to its students??? We have all been scammed!! Are there any of us out there? I saw a posting that said we could talk and post here.   Thanks ...