A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medquist M*Modal bought my employer today - Lisa

Posted: May 18, 2012

Medquist just bought the company I work for today. Do they do IC or employees? I know there is a lot of stuff out there on Medquist, and I tend to believe it, but does anyone have; how long before volume of work goes down on your account (presumably shipping lines over to the motherland Indian), and when does pay get adjusted downward (this ALWAYS happens in mergers, I have seen it twice). What is the transition period of time before they take the reins, essentially. I have heard for over a decade about how bad they are, so please I don't need to keep hearing that, I just want actual times and facts. PS - I am currently ready to bail and looking for new work, so you know my feelings on how this will flop.  Thanks much.

bought - Marie

[ In Reply To ..]
Tried to ask privately. What company? I thnk they got mine too.

Condolences to you! Mergers are NEVER good - for the MT, only the MTSO.

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't just bail if you've got nothing to go to, though. Keep working, but start looking around. If you find something better, then if you end up unhappy with M*M, you can jump ship without having to be unemployed in between jobs.

the first time it happened - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
was when they bought YOG and then it took then over a year to get around to us. The second time, when they bought Spheris, they grandfathered me in at the rate I was getting at Spheris and so far have not changed it, but they did switch over to doing things the MQ way pretty quickly.

Medquist Merger - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. Do they accept IC and employees? Any choice? And, how long after your boss says they sold to Medquist does Medquist actually start making significant changes? As in, everything, not just platforms, etc. Thanks!

MQ way is? - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
And the MQ way is exactly what? Thanks for your help. Is all the stuff on Mr. Internet really true about MQ, or just underperformers crankin? Volume and pay, big to me. Do those get adjusted quickly? Do they bounce you around accounts so your shortcuts are useless? Thanks again. I don't have problem wtih change, I have problem with eating cat food though.

like hours for example - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Like they took away the 12 hour window we had pretty quickly. oh, and they took away the production incentives. I had forgotten that. Still getting the same pay per line though. You'll stay on your own account and platform at least for awhile I'd think. I did. I haven't been bounced around to different accounts but I know some have. I'm pretty sure they hire ICs but I'm not one. When they bought Spheris, MQ and Spheris had to make a deal on how much they would pay the employees. Hang on and wait and see what they offer you. But then don't count on it lasting forever.
No MM does not hire ICs and make no mistake about it - you WILL be eating cat food
[ In Reply To ..]
Whatever sweet deal you had before and however comfortably you've been living you will no longer have that.

I've been with MM (Medquist) forEVVVVER and I've seen dozens and dozens of buyouts. Everything is always copesthetic at the beginning but bit by bit your pay will go down. I can almost set my watch to the length of time it takes the new employees to start complaining about the changes - it usually takes a few months. No ICs at MM - only straight employment either full time or part time.

I'm an MME at the top of my career game and after close to a year of not being able to support myself and my son on what I've been making, I finally swallowed my pride and applied for Food Stamps this past year, hence the cat food comment in my title. It's been close to 10 years since my last raise and I don't see one coming anytime soon.

All I can say is good luck - MM buyouts are kind of sad to watch. After having watched so many of them you kind of get to know the cycle of "having lots of hope that it's better than you've heard" to the "realization that your income has been cut in half" to "OMG what have I done".
I didn't have quite that experience - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I just went back and looked at my earnings from Spheris vs. MQ and really it hasn't changed much at all. I do anticipate a drop in pay soon. I do think what is going to happen with this "realignment" is that the underpaid MTs will get more and the ones making a decent living, which would be me I guess, will take a cut. But the point I want to stress is that this new MT will have a few months to look for other work. The changes will not happen overnight.

who is your employer? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I sent you an email - suckerpunched

[ In Reply To ..]
Hope it helps...

Similar Messages:

M-Modal Is Getting Worse Since Medquist Bought The
Aug 19, 2011

company.  I think I would be so ashamed to be associated in any way with this program that I would consider quitting.  I know they make money, but the garbage they are turning out is the poorest quality I have ever seen.  I thought they hired an MLS to be on their staff, but obviously she is not or does not know anything about transcription.  The owners certainly do not care as long as they get their money.  There is no way to get any speed with editing on that platform ...

How Is M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 02, 2012

Can anyone, current or past employees of M*Modal, give me an idea of how they are as an employer?  Were you confined to set work times or were you able to work freely as time permitted?  Also, if anyone is willing to share, what is the pay rate? (per line, per minute of dictation...)I am in Canada and I know M*Modal branches out here (they have e-mailed me informing me of job openings) but I currently work for another really good company.  I am just curious as to the possibility o ...

Opinions On M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 14, 2012

Hi Ladies - anyone recommend this company? Do they have good benefits?What is their line count requirement? Thanks a bunch... ...

ETransPlus Been Bought Out By Medquist. Oh Yay. Nm
Oct 03, 2011

nm ...

Execuscribe Bought Out By Medquist ?
Dec 01, 2011

some MTs have already gotten their 'bye-bye' letters to end contracts.    ...

Thoughts On M*modal Being Bought Out?
Jul 03, 2012

See link below.  Wonder how many of those billions of dollars will land in our checks? (choking on my hysteria) ...

Has M-Modal Bought Out Anybody Recently?
Apr 23, 2013

I was wondering if MM has recently bought out any MT companies.  Thanks! ...

Company Bought Out By Medquist-Question Transition?
Aug 24, 2011

I was just notifed by my company that I am working at that MedQuist has bought them out and will be taking over as of the middle of next month.  We already use DocQscribe so am wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar process.  Does it go smooth, is is awful, good, etc.  Any information is helpful.  Thanks. ...

Dear Employer: Today's Pet Peeve
Nov 13, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for more than 25 years, have worked for 7 different employers, and every one of them has always said that it is required for everyone to work one weekend day, you either work sunday through thursday or tuesday through saturday.  Then I see an email to all employees that says, "please consider changing your schedule to work a weekend day."  WTF?  There are people not already working a weekend day?  That makes me feel pretty stupid for all the ...

M*Modal And Medquist
Sep 16, 2011

What do you make of the merger between these 2 companies?  I have worked on M*Modal before and loved it but have never heard anything but bad things about Medquist.  ...

M*Modal = MedQuist?
Feb 15, 2012

So, I take it MedQuist is now M*Modal?  I was about to apply, but I think not! ...

I Know M*Modal Is The New Name For Medquist But
Sep 18, 2012

Reason I'm asking is this company I am applying to says something about signing on to M Modal. ...

Medquist/modal
Oct 03, 2012

I would love to know something about Medquist, now MOdal.  I have tested several times and even though got a high score did not get in?  what is their deal?  LP ...

Medquist/M*Modal Merger
Jul 12, 2011

So now Medquist and M*Modal are merging. Wonder what this is going to mean for all of us working for companies that utilize M*Modal. Now I understand why WMX sold out to Nuance. Seems to me no one wants to hire Medquist because of their terrible quality so now they are swallowing up competitors platforms and bullying their way into accounts. They have already stopped allowing other companies to use their DocQScribe platform. Interested to know anyone else's thoughts. ...

Medquist Now M Modal. Very Interesting!
Jan 24, 2012

. ...

Don't Be Fooled, MedQuist Is Now M-Modal
Jan 27, 2012

We MTs logged in on Tue and lo and behold...everything Medquist is now M-Modal. Wonder why they decided to change the name (not).  Just an FYI to any job seekers. ...

Medquist/M Modal..how Long Does Hiring
Mar 13, 2012

the hiring process take.  What is the time frame from the time you apply to the time you type your first report.  Thank you. ...

So, Is This Correct, M-Modal Is A Medquist Product...or Confused?
Dec 05, 2011

I have gathered that there is a connection from info on here that M-Modal is part of the medquist group... and also Epic... which is pretty much the death march for us and work...of all the things that scare me... Epic is the worst, as far as taking the work from us.  FAST!! ...

Got My New MedQuist Computer Today. Just Wonder What's Coming
Nov 02, 2011

CCM has been pretty mum about it all.  She emailed me to confirm my address for them to send it to me, said the one I have now isn't powerful enough.  Anyone have any ideas or any inside info on what's coming up? ...

II'll Probably Fail The Medquist Test Today Again
Nov 26, 2011

I took the Medquist test again today, but I don't expect the perfection they seem to demand.  I actually got an RLP (real live person) at Medquist to speak to me about testing 2 weeks ago.  She was a little help.  She said they have 1,000 take the test monthly so no wonder they are not interested in any particular transcriptionist.  I suspect, though, that only 20/1000 pass it.  I actually worked for Mx for 7 years part-time, and I love their platform.    ...

Left Medquist (M*Modal) To Work For Webmedx (Nuance). Now Thinking Of Going Back. Sm
Nov 02, 2012

Is anyone in the same boat?  I am seriously contemplating it because I can't afford my medications, groceries, rent, bills, living, etc. anymore. ...

Nuance Bought OSI And Keystrokes Bought Chartnet This Week. Any Others? Sm
Sep 26, 2010

Nuance bought Encompass recently, too.  I heard they are buying all the eScription companies.  I bet that Keystrokes gets bought by MQ soon.  What the heck is going on with all these companies buying each other?  Will there be anyone left?  ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

What Can An Old Employer Say About You?
Aug 27, 2010

What kinds of things can an old employer say about you when contacted by a company you're trying to get hired by? ...

Ex-Employer Trying To Scare Me?
May 04, 2010

My original post is further down on this page.  I was hired in by a company that told me I was hired contingent upon my computer passing their test.  It passed the test and I was offered employment.  Their techs downloaded their software on my computer and then for over a week, they worked on my computer, and then said my system was not compliant with their softwared.  I asked for new account with different platform, asked for them to restore my computer to its orginal state, ...

If Your Employer Doesn't Pay You.....
May 05, 2010

Only using an employer as an example - my personal example - but my idea is applicable to all the others I have read about on this site Not long ago, I posted a rant about Siance not paying me.  I turned them in to the Labor Board.  They were given a deadline to pay me, but it could take that Dept up to 6 months or longer to get my money.  I thought...HMMM...I HAVE BILLS TODAY - NOT IN 6 MONTHS MAN!    So...I filed unemployment against Saince.  They did a pho ...

How Is Encompass As Employer???
May 31, 2010

Can anyone tell me anything about Encompass?  Website looks good, but then most do.  Any info welcome.  I want to bail but would not like to go from frying pan to the fire. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Tell The Potential 2nd Employer About The 1st?
Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb! ...

Contacting Former Employer
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone ever contacted a former employer to see if they would re-hire you? Reason I am asking is, I was working with this MT company, but had to quit because something happened to my computer and my back-up didn't have the specifications required to run the software they use. It's been about 4 months since I've quit, and I have a new computer now that would work with what they offer. I am hesitant to ask to see if they would consider re-hiring me because when I quit, even thoug ...