A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tell the potential 2nd employer about the 1st? - Dish

Posted: Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb!

If they ask specifically, tell the truth. Lying can come - back to bite. If they do not,

[ In Reply To ..]
don't tell them. When you take their job you contract to do the work agreed upon, and as long as a second job has no effect on that what you do with your other hours is none of their business. Remember, knowledge is power. Keep as much power as possible for yourself, and all information that could someday be used against you. That's just business.

Dish - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would keep quiet about the second job. It is none of their business what you do on your own time.

Similar Messages:

Isnt It Illegal For A Potential Employer To Ask Your Age?
Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal. So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out ...

I Was Warned Of A Potential Bad Employer By Checking
Apr 30, 2013

this forum and I backed out because I had to purchase software and would be "micromanaged" too closely. I found myself on the offensive and caught the recruiter off guard because I told him I had no money to buy software because MTs are so poor. It was beautiful just to hear his jaw drop! I felt tremendous just to boycott this industry in my own way. ...

Is It True That, As An IC, A Potential "employer" Cannot
Aug 20, 2014

ask if you work for another place right now?  I thought that they could not ask that. ...

MME - Really More Pay Potential Or Not?
Oct 08, 2011

It has been suggested to me by my CCM that I apply for MME position, stating I will definitely make more $$$.  My gut says no I won't but I have nothing to back that up.  Any first-hand experience out there to confirm or negate my intuition?  ...

Potential Scam
Sep 19, 2012

I was contacted by a company wanting to interview by chatting.  I did all that, and it sounded so great.  Set your own hours, work as much as you want, etc.  All I had to do to get started was pay $295 for the software they use.  I did some fast Google searches in another window and decided not to.  They pointed out that as an Independent Contracter, I was responsible for my own equipment.  I pointed out that I bought my own hardware, which is almost universall ...

Potential New Hire
Dec 07, 2013

I've had a job offer with a transcription company..however, my problem is I'm required to have MS Word, version 2007 or 2010,,,no student/teacher/starter or trial editions....and I've gone to Best Buy, E Bay and Amazon.  The cheapest I have found to dowload it is $300 !!  That's not happening....so, is there a less expensive way ??? If not, I'm faced with turning down this job offer.   HELP !! ...

Potential Jobs --
Apr 10, 2015

These were listed on a recent Duke Career email I got. I think they are on-ground. I'm on the West coast. Tomah Memorial Hospital Transcriptionist Tomah (WI), Posted: Monday Mar 30th Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Transcriptionist Boston (MA), Posted: Thursday Mar 26th MidMichigan Health Sr Medical Transcriptionist Midland (MI), Posted: Thursday Mar 26th Miraca Life Sciences Transcriptionist Union (NJ), Posted: Thursday Apr 2nd ...

? S/l Asmedicine Revoke Potential
Jan 26, 2010

Patient has a history or balance problems.  sentence reads: She also had s/l asmediciine revoke potential which showed abnormal bilateral tibial s/l mad sensory evoke potentials in normal positions and "budda positions". ...

Potential Complication From Laparoscopic
Sep 23, 2010

"Risks, benefits, and potential complications were discussed with the patient, in particular _________ (s/l  *tomboy buttock*)  phenomenon".     (Pt. is a male). ????? ...

Inscribe For Potential Emplyment
Feb 06, 2012

How is Inscribe to work for.  Do they hire IC or just employees. I know we have talked about this before on here but just wanted to see if anyone was hired recently that would have an opinion on them.  I have gotten several emails from them regarding employment and have not pursued that. ...

Need Advice For A Potential Client
May 13, 2013

Hi, I wondered if some of you who have your own accounts or who have had your own accounts could give me some information.  I have been asked if I would like a part-time dermatology account as an independent contractor in my town.  They said I needed my own transcription software with ability to provide itemized report with invoices.  I know I could use Express Scribe, but what would I need for the itemized report with invoices.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would l ...

Keystrokes, As Bad As NU Or MM? Potential Offer
Aug 19, 2013

X ...

For Any Potential New Nuance Acquisition
Jun 21, 2014

Every time there is a hospital or clinic acquisition, those "acquired" MTs will be crammed onto existing accounts as their own account/work types become more streamlined and less available as more and more of it is done more efficiently with voice wreck and 3 shifts of people to do the work. Think of it like when a larger dog moves into a pen already crowded with too many dogs. All the pre-existing dogs have to scooch over yet again (exist on less) to make room for the new dog in the cage.& ...

Potential Employers Interview Process
Mar 22, 2011

So I graduated in February and began the job hunt.  Finally I receive one call back from a local company. To date I have attended two seperate interviews. The second time I was supposed to test but the computer was not working so a couple of weeks later they schedule testing at one of the transcriptionist house.  I test and the computer freezes up.  Luckily the test is recovered the next day and sent to the boss for review.  Get another call today, and am told that ...

Cold Contacting Potential Clients
May 31, 2011

Anyone have any helpful suggestions on cold contacting potential clients. Better by email, mail, fax or phone? Which would be thought of as the most professional? ...

Potential To Switch From Straight Transcription To SR?
May 15, 2013

Hi - I have been doing acute care work for this client as an IC for almost two years. While I enjoy the work, I know it is probably in my best interest to start doing some SR work as well. The company I work for just asked their ICs if anyone is interested in learning the SR platform for some new SR work that is coming onboard. I am currently only making .07 cpl! I know that SR line rates are generally lower since the "assumption" is you can go a bit faster, can anyone give me a fair id ...

For All Potential Candidates. Truth In Recruitment Advertising
Apr 01, 2015

Nuance is first and foremost a software company that depends upon poorly paid MTs to do the work of software engineers to perfect speech recognition software. By pretending to be a legitimate MTSO, they can recruit innocent MTs straight out of school who have no expectations of being self-sufficient any time soon. They use you, though, until the speech wreck is in passable condition for front-end EHR or shipment off to India. Once this occurs, usually 6 to 8 weeks after acquisition of the accoun ...

Potential Major Development For The Medical Transcription Industry - Sm
Apr 29, 2015

Dr. Wyatt, a physician affiliated with The Joint Commission, just released an article recommending that the TJC become involved in helping to create new standards and protocols for the medical transcription industry.  His article addressed the vast majority of the issues that negatively impact the dictation/transcription process and the need to fix these problems because of their potential for jeopardizing patient safety.  Among the many things mentioned in the article that he feels ne ...

What Can An Old Employer Say About You?
Aug 27, 2010

What kinds of things can an old employer say about you when contacted by a company you're trying to get hired by? ...

Ex-Employer Trying To Scare Me?
May 04, 2010

My original post is further down on this page.  I was hired in by a company that told me I was hired contingent upon my computer passing their test.  It passed the test and I was offered employment.  Their techs downloaded their software on my computer and then for over a week, they worked on my computer, and then said my system was not compliant with their softwared.  I asked for new account with different platform, asked for them to restore my computer to its orginal state, ...

If Your Employer Doesn't Pay You.....
May 05, 2010

Only using an employer as an example - my personal example - but my idea is applicable to all the others I have read about on this site Not long ago, I posted a rant about Siance not paying me.  I turned them in to the Labor Board.  They were given a deadline to pay me, but it could take that Dept up to 6 months or longer to get my money.  I thought...HMMM...I HAVE BILLS TODAY - NOT IN 6 MONTHS MAN!    So...I filed unemployment against Saince.  They did a pho ...

How Is Encompass As Employer???
May 31, 2010

Can anyone tell me anything about Encompass?  Website looks good, but then most do.  Any info welcome.  I want to bail but would not like to go from frying pan to the fire. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Contacting Former Employer
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone ever contacted a former employer to see if they would re-hire you? Reason I am asking is, I was working with this MT company, but had to quit because something happened to my computer and my back-up didn't have the specifications required to run the software they use. It's been about 4 months since I've quit, and I have a new computer now that would work with what they offer. I am hesitant to ask to see if they would consider re-hiring me because when I quit, even thoug ...

How Is M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 02, 2012

Can anyone, current or past employees of M*Modal, give me an idea of how they are as an employer?  Were you confined to set work times or were you able to work freely as time permitted?  Also, if anyone is willing to share, what is the pay rate? (per line, per minute of dictation...)I am in Canada and I know M*Modal branches out here (they have e-mailed me informing me of job openings) but I currently work for another really good company.  I am just curious as to the possibility o ...

Any Recourse When An Employer Wont Pay Their ICs?
Aug 02, 2010

any ideas?  I live in one state and my IC "employer" lives in another.  He owes me a substantial amount of money (almost 3K).  Do I have any recourse against him?  Could I file a suit against him with his state attorney generals office or small claims court or anything???  ...

Good Employer With Benefits
Dec 27, 2010

OSI & NUANCE: Please tell me about these companies. What can i expect for per line? For editing? I have 20+ years experience in acute care, radiology and multispecialty. I am a newbie to online work. HELP. TX ...

Dear Prospective Employer,
Nov 24, 2011

Dear Prospective Employer, It would have been great if you had specified in your ad whether the opening was on-site or if it was available to telecommuters.  If it is not available to telecommuters, then I just wasted over an hour of my time and your HR department has a unqualified application to process. It would have been great if your HR department had done a trial run through your online application to get the bugs out of it.  It would have been great if you had not designe ...

Reviews On Transcend As Employer
Jan 11, 2012

I'm looking into maybe working for Transcend.  I would welcome any and ALL reviews.  Feel free to post here, or e-mail me privately.   Thanks very much. ...

If An Employer Interviewing You Asked For Your
Mar 25, 2012

This story has been popping up in the news lately, and I find it very distressing!  How low will a company stoop to find a way to practice hiring discrimination?  Imagine yourself interviewing in an office or on the phone, and they ask if you use Facebook, Twitter, etc., and request you to hand over your password!  Would you do it?  I sure hope not!  Most likely I would lose my cool and laugh in their faces, but still no way would I ever do that.  WHAT an invasion ...