A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Dear employer: Today's pet peeve - MsMagoo

Posted: Nov 13, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for more than 25 years, have worked for 7 different employers, and every one of them has always said that it is required for everyone to work one weekend day, you either work sunday through thursday or tuesday through saturday.  Then I see an email to all employees that says, "please consider changing your schedule to work a weekend day."  WTF?  There are people not already working a weekend day?  That makes me feel pretty stupid for all the family and friend events I've missed because I've had to work on the weekend.  Do you just SAY it's a requirement and hope some idiot (i.e., me) will fall for it?  What other "requirements" am I faithfully respecting that other people are immune to?

weekend work - fastback

[ In Reply To ..]
Dont't feel alone. Landmark hired me Tuesday through Saturday. I get only 2-5 reports a day, around 6 PM email says they need help and on Saturday I have work and they want help on Sunday. WTF, WTF. Feel the same as you. Could have slept in, shared time with family and kids and left w/o work. I think it is called manipulation. Signed a contract for that! Just call me Naive. No more honest people left in this world.

Working a weekend day - or not

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that most companies (who have hospital clients) require working a weekend day. Sunday through Thursday, or Tuesday through Saturday seem to be the common schedules that they want.

But, is it possible that there are some long-term MTs with your company? I know in my case, I have been with my company for 10 years and they didn't have the weekend requirement back when I was hired. I think they started that maybe about 4 or 5 years ago. So, being hired 10 years ago, I was hired in under different requirements.

So perhaps your company has some other MTs like me (no weekend requirement when we were hired), and maybe they are just emailing and asking them to change their schedule to include a weekend day now.

Weekends..NO - Enligtened MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what I finally figured out. You have to be on the top of the pyramid to work weekdays only and that's why I recently quit an MT job I otherwise liked a lot. Am now looking for weekdays and mornings only. I will even take less cpl than I was making to get the hours I want if I have to. I think it's a con they are handing us about weekend work. Think about it...the service probably gets extra per line for work transcribed over the weekend and they do not pass it on. To quote Twisted Sister..."We're not gonna take it anymore."

I disagree. The business we are in is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
24/7/365. Back when I worked in a hospital, we alternated weekends--1 every 6 weeks or so and holidays. Even with the MTSOs I have worked for (with the exception of MQ) they have always asked for volunteers for weekends and holidays (even the Q did this years ago). THe accounts have to be covered every day, not just through the week. And, no, I am not mgmt. People used to be hired to work weekends only and I guess no one wants to do that anymore. Where I am now, we are "asked" to work sometime on the weekend. I normally work Saturday mornings. We also have people that work both days, take their 2 days off through the week. Personally, I like getting off early, so I work Saturday mornings--but no one is required to work weekends, it is all on a volunteer basis. If there is not enough coverage one weekend they let us know and there are people (me included) that will work extra for coverage. Hopsitals do not close on weekends, sometimes that is their busiest time, espeically trauma centers. So yes, weekend work is required.

my pet peeve isn't that it's required... - MsMagoo

[ In Reply To ..]
It's that I was told it was required for EVERYONE and it turns out it's not. I agree wholeheartedly that coverage on the weekend is necessary, I just don't think it's fair that only some people are required to provide said coverage. if they say everyone it should be everyone. Period.

Some of us work midnight shift, so therefore we don't have to work the weekend. - latenight

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

When I worked in-house... sm - LE

[ In Reply To ..]
We used to be required to work every 4th weekend and everyone would take turns. I don't see why the big MTSOs can't do this. It would be MUCH easier to hire people this way I'm sure.

Weekends "required" is the issue.. - Enlightened MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, "required" and "every" weekend are the issues here...I worked in hospital Medical Records also and it was every 4th weekend or however many MT's there were for rotation. Start a movement....refuse to work every weekend unless there is a generous differential pay. Believe me, they can afford it.

Similar Messages:

My Biggest QA Peeve Today Is...
Sep 20, 2012

Unless the CP states otherwise... When the doctor dictates "Dr. Smith," don't pull in his full name with credentials from the database, just type "Dr. Smith." Example: Dictated: " I called Dr. Smith to the ER. " Type: I called Dr. Smith to the ER. NOT: I called Emmett J. Smith, MD, to the ER. If the doctor does dictate a full name or for some other reason you do pull the name in from the database, remember to put a comma after the credentials if it is in the middle of the sentence. ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Medquist M*Modal Bought My Employer Today
May 18, 2012

Medquist just bought the company I work for today. Do they do IC or employees? I know there is a lot of stuff out there on Medquist, and I tend to believe it, but does anyone have; how long before volume of work goes down on your account (presumably shipping lines over to the motherland Indian), and when does pay get adjusted downward (this ALWAYS happens in mergers, I have seen it twice). What is the transition period of time before they take the reins, essentially. I have heard for over a deca ...

Pet Peeve..
Aug 07, 2012

Just venting.. why does the dictator feel the need to state, "Briefly..." in every one of her reports, as she starts dictating an almost 30-minute report? Just annoys me! ...

Peeve
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry, I just have to vent. This PhD I type evals for uses the phrase, "The form indicates...."  The form is filled out by the parents.  It would seem to me that the PARENTS indicate -- as the form is an inanimate object and cannot "indicate" anything.  OK, getting off my soap box and back to work.  P.S. She also ends many sentences in prepositions. ...

My Pet Peeve
Jan 26, 2013

It is beginning to drive me CRAZY that these companies never feel like they owe us any explanation whatsoever when we run out of work.  On my job, I will have full lines maybe three days and then the fourth day not one drop of work.  Sometimes, I will email my supervisor to ask her and don't get a response back.  I cannot understand why anyone would feel that we should go to work, not have a single thing to do, and we deserve zero communication as to why! Back when I first s ...

New Pet Peeve
Sep 10, 2014

Dictate on your phone and leave it on buzz so I can decipher through that.. ...

My Biggest Peeve
Nov 18, 2009

More than anything, I hate it when they're eating and dictating.  I can't verbalize how upset this makes me.  I'm not asking the dictator to kiss my rear end, but right now I've got an ESL with an incomprehensible accent chomping and chewing in my ear.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ...

Pet Dictation Peeve
May 25, 2010

Ooooh!  This gets me.  This is an NP who is dictating acute care - "The patient comes in with a diagnosis of non-insulin dependent diabetes 'myelitis'."  Puhleeze!  The same dictator pronounces "organomegaly" as "organomeglea."  It's like hearing someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard.  Shouldn't these people have had enough schooling to be able to sound out words?! ...

Small Pet Peeve
Aug 16, 2010

After struggling with names like Siobhan, Ahleksi (concocted to prove a point), and Yvan, I am so happy to have a "normal name" such as what sounds like "John Carter." Whew! Finally! A no-brainer! But I start to look it up-- no such thing in the data base. Well! It just happens to be "John Carter" spelled "Gionn Kharter." This is just a not-real-life illustration. But isn't it irritating when you finally get a regular-sounding name and it's not so regular, and the d ...

Dictator Pet Peeve
Oct 12, 2010

I know this is petty, but for some reason, it grates on my nerves to hear:  blah, blah Period space space.   Or Colon space space enter.  I mean, please, are we considered that incompentent?  but on the other end of the spectrum we have those that don't say any punctuation, which is absolutely fine, but a pause would be nice.  It's not necessary to dictate a whole report in one breath. ...

Posting Pet Peeve
Nov 05, 2010

I have a POSTER pet peeve.  When a comment or question is posted about a specific company, why is the original poster likely to never elaborate?  Why are they wasting everyone’s time? What is up with these hit-and-run posts?   Someone makes an outrageous comment or asks a question implying something negative.  Then when you answer and either ask for more information or ask the original poster a question, the original poster is long gone – never to be heard ...

VENTING - PET PEEVE
Jul 18, 2012

I just have to vent.....the thing that I cannot stand most about this job - even more than the pay, the lack of work, etc....is when the dictator CHEWS GUM when he/she is dictating.  The sound of someone smacking their gum, whether in person or on the phone, makes me CRAZY.  I am positive they do not do this in front of patients or other doctors...but since we aren't 'real people' to them...they just smack away.  I can barely get through the report.  OK.  ...

My Present Pet Peeve
Oct 09, 2012

We dont get paid for ADT information,,YET I got back a report I sent through QA and it said I have to fix all the ADT information with ? next to the docs, that is like every report..what the heck? ...

My Biggest Pet Peeve
Feb 24, 2015

has got to be doctors burping in my ears, so gross! ...

Biggest Pet Peeve -- Let's Hear It!
Oct 12, 2010

Mine is chewing of any sort -- food, gum, etc.  They can't be so busy that they have to dictate while smacking.  ...

What Can An Old Employer Say About You?
Aug 27, 2010

What kinds of things can an old employer say about you when contacted by a company you're trying to get hired by? ...

Ex-Employer Trying To Scare Me?
May 04, 2010

My original post is further down on this page.  I was hired in by a company that told me I was hired contingent upon my computer passing their test.  It passed the test and I was offered employment.  Their techs downloaded their software on my computer and then for over a week, they worked on my computer, and then said my system was not compliant with their softwared.  I asked for new account with different platform, asked for them to restore my computer to its orginal state, ...

If Your Employer Doesn't Pay You.....
May 05, 2010

Only using an employer as an example - my personal example - but my idea is applicable to all the others I have read about on this site Not long ago, I posted a rant about Siance not paying me.  I turned them in to the Labor Board.  They were given a deadline to pay me, but it could take that Dept up to 6 months or longer to get my money.  I thought...HMMM...I HAVE BILLS TODAY - NOT IN 6 MONTHS MAN!    So...I filed unemployment against Saince.  They did a pho ...

How Is Encompass As Employer???
May 31, 2010

Can anyone tell me anything about Encompass?  Website looks good, but then most do.  Any info welcome.  I want to bail but would not like to go from frying pan to the fire. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Tell The Potential 2nd Employer About The 1st?
Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb! ...

Contacting Former Employer
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone ever contacted a former employer to see if they would re-hire you? Reason I am asking is, I was working with this MT company, but had to quit because something happened to my computer and my back-up didn't have the specifications required to run the software they use. It's been about 4 months since I've quit, and I have a new computer now that would work with what they offer. I am hesitant to ask to see if they would consider re-hiring me because when I quit, even thoug ...

How Is M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 02, 2012

Can anyone, current or past employees of M*Modal, give me an idea of how they are as an employer?  Were you confined to set work times or were you able to work freely as time permitted?  Also, if anyone is willing to share, what is the pay rate? (per line, per minute of dictation...)I am in Canada and I know M*Modal branches out here (they have e-mailed me informing me of job openings) but I currently work for another really good company.  I am just curious as to the possibility o ...

Any Recourse When An Employer Wont Pay Their ICs?
Aug 02, 2010

any ideas?  I live in one state and my IC "employer" lives in another.  He owes me a substantial amount of money (almost 3K).  Do I have any recourse against him?  Could I file a suit against him with his state attorney generals office or small claims court or anything???  ...

Good Employer With Benefits
Dec 27, 2010

OSI & NUANCE: Please tell me about these companies. What can i expect for per line? For editing? I have 20+ years experience in acute care, radiology and multispecialty. I am a newbie to online work. HELP. TX ...

Dear Prospective Employer,
Nov 24, 2011

Dear Prospective Employer, It would have been great if you had specified in your ad whether the opening was on-site or if it was available to telecommuters.  If it is not available to telecommuters, then I just wasted over an hour of my time and your HR department has a unqualified application to process. It would have been great if your HR department had done a trial run through your online application to get the bugs out of it.  It would have been great if you had not designe ...

Reviews On Transcend As Employer
Jan 11, 2012

I'm looking into maybe working for Transcend.  I would welcome any and ALL reviews.  Feel free to post here, or e-mail me privately.   Thanks very much. ...

If An Employer Interviewing You Asked For Your
Mar 25, 2012

This story has been popping up in the news lately, and I find it very distressing!  How low will a company stoop to find a way to practice hiring discrimination?  Imagine yourself interviewing in an office or on the phone, and they ask if you use Facebook, Twitter, etc., and request you to hand over your password!  Would you do it?  I sure hope not!  Most likely I would lose my cool and laugh in their faces, but still no way would I ever do that.  WHAT an invasion ...

Opinions On M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 14, 2012

Hi Ladies - anyone recommend this company? Do they have good benefits?What is their line count requirement? Thanks a bunch... ...