A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Call to action-ASR - Adios

Posted: May 28, 2010

We have talked about unions, organizing, etc.  Probably not very realistic.  But surely there is some way to have our voices heard in numbers regarding the fact ASR is not the product they tell us it is.  All these numbers being based around the fact we can be so much more productive on ASR are lies.  If it were true, we would all shut up and produce.  Our voices are not being heard.  MQ should stand behind their claims.  I tried again to get positive changes made to ASR, with great promises about how hard they are working on it, only to have it go down-hill again the last couple weeks.  Suddenly, all the heart patients are having cabbages.  They are coming in because they are tachycardiac. Temperatures are coming over as 36.VII, etc.  Surely they can do a better job of making sure the tools they give us work, especially when they use it to justify lower per line pay. 

Not sure how to do it.  Maybe we all e-mail the top guns at the same time, maybe we all snail-mail the top guns at the same time, there has to be a way to be heard.  CCM's can't do it, they are given a job and have no power.  They can try but they will get no further than us.  Training personnel only know what they are told.  They aren't on the front lines anymore.  Middle-management are just trying to keep their jobs.  We need to reach top management.  But it has to be in numbers or it is useless.

I am leaving either way, but the injustice just eats away at my stomach.  We need to brain-storm this. 

Then we can work on audits. 

I emailed my CCM and***** what's her name sm - MQMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and my CCM said this is the way it is going to be and it is not going to change. This was in reference to them taking away money from me because I sent too many QA lines in to be relistened to.

Why not do something positive, not negative like bonuses for those who don't send to QA with good audits (correcct audits not junky stuff) and for those of us who still use QA sometimes, then don't give us a bonus. Wouldn't that be better? I don't understand the negavitiy stuff!!!

I still say this is all going to come around and bite mgt in the butt. Just give it time!

I Don't Get It - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what you all think you are going to accomplish. Here's why: MQ has been using ASR for a very long time and they know the deal and have heard it all. They also have Indians editing the ASR. Well, I left the Q a year ago (was QA back when there was a QA Dept) and the Indians were editing the ASR. I know because I was required to give them feedback on the edited reports.

All that happens is, a client complains, MQ pulls out all the stops to make it right for the client, by putting the account on full QA or something, then they go back to their old ways.

Save your energy and either look for another MT company (not advised) or look for another career (advised).

I'm not clear on why, after all these years of MQ knowing how you feel, you think your letters are actually being taken with any respect. Anything positive they say is just to shut you up. The CCM who said "it's here to stay" is probably the only honest person in the bunch.

I think it's a nice thought, but please be realistic here! You are all just spinning your wheels. Sure, feels good to write a letter and vent to them, but nothing ever changes no matter what they say.

Why not write a short story/article about what its - like to be an MT - something like -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"Life as a Medical Transcriptionist", or maybe a better, catchier title. Just tell it like it is: Your experiences, how long you went to school or learned on the job, how hard you work, what your pay used to be like before ASR, and what it's like now. The promises made and broken. The lies told. The cpl dings. I don't think you even have to mention what company you work for, if you're concerned about retaliation. And properly written, truthful, shocking, not-too-long, etc., it could get published by a women's magazine, business magazine, medical magazine, newspaper, etc. The possibilities are limitless, and you might even make some extra pocket-money if someone wants to publish it. Most importantly, those who read it will be shocked that this sort of thing goes on in this country.

Just to expand that idea, lots of work at home mom-type sites might be interested - In your story, too

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think once you had it down precisely the way you wanted it, any number of sites/publishers might be interested in it. With the huge work-at-home-mom sites out there, I would think you if you could get this into the right hands, it could go places (assuming you're interested in pursuing this path).

great idea - kv

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's all right an article and inundate every local newspaper and women's magazines and online magazines. I read an article on Bankrate the other day about great part-time jobs. First one was MT. Did you know that MTs make $17.36 part time? I did not know that. The other day I made about $4 an hour. Tell me more lies. If people who know nothing about a profession can get BS published, then those of us who know the truth should be able to get published. Do you all remember that sociology research that AAMT paid to have done at Bentley College in Waltham, Massachuetts? Researcher's name is Gary David or David Gary. He has a web page in Sociology Department at Bentley. I know his research did not benefit me, did not elevate my profession, but he gets kudos for his research. He and his team have published at least two articles in journals based on our surveys. My survey answers were brutally honest. He probably omitted my results. Everyone go to wordpress and open a blog. Someone mentioned on another thread that at one point today or recently there were only 161 or 141 (?) MTs on this site. I wonder how many of those are company minions watching the company boards. I want everyone to stop working for a day, but if it's only 100 of us, what good is that? Twelve years ago I asked for the same thing to happen.

they don't care - weekendwarrior

[ In Reply To ..]
You are just going to end up with a nice fat bullseye on your back instead of being just a number flying under the radar with most everybody else. I tried that route a couple years ago with the first ASR cuts, cesspool nonsense, etc., and trust me they don't want to listen to your bitching and complaining nor do they care. If fact, you will probably get written up for insubordination and fired. A mass email to people who have no clue what we do on a daily basis will serve no real purpose, but maybe getting a better job preferring not as an MT and telling MQ to stick in in your final interview would make you feel better. I know that is my plan. Good luck!

Dont' care. - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your honesty. Actually I am working on getting out of this mess and starting a new career, though it is sad after all these years. I just felt if we all communicated at the same time and en masse, it would be harder for them to ignore our pleas for taking care of ASR.

I probably already have a big fat bullseye on my back, but since I have already made the decision to leave I don't really care. If they fired me I could work full time on finding a better job.

I do have to say that hearing that Indians are auditing ASR answers a lot of recent questions. I just will never understand why they won't spend a little more energy on making ASR work. That is what I am asking for here. Make it do what we are told it is supposed to do. Make it learn. And don't send us in circles chasing our tails by reported the problems report by report.

In the end I will be out of here but I would have liked to make a difference. Transcribing has been good to me for a lot of years. Sad ending.

They "dont care" only as long as nobody takes them - to task for the way they cheat MTs, (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
and the sham that is ASR/VR/speech rec, or whatever they want to call that mess. The whole industry has become a scam operation. They've gotten away with it because MTs have just sat there and taken it, having been brainwashed into thinking "that's the way it is", or "ASR/Indian transcription or auditing, etc. is the wave of the future", or that "we're lucky to have a job." MT is a big, fat expose just waiting to be investigated, and reported.
Sitting Back? - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
MTs have NOT sat back and taken it. If you want to write a letter so you feel like you're doing something, go ahead, but know that your voice doesn't mean diddly and probably won't even get read past the first sentence, if read at all.

As long as I'm here, someone may have misunderstood my note about Indians. I said Indians were editing the ASR, not auditing MTs. Of course, I escaped MQ a year ago, so something may have changed and now their auditing. Wouldn't surprise me.
"Sitting back". Your attitude is the epitome. - Watergate. Investigate. MT-gate.
[ In Reply To ..]
X

reliable people get relied upon & jerks get perks - planetspinz

[ In Reply To ..]
The CEO three years ago left to be replaced by another CEO, who will soon leave to be replaced by another CEO. Executives in corporations have no loyalty to anyone but themselves. We can learn from them - use MQ as a way to move forward in your life. Get what you can here and then move on to better jobs. That's what success is all about. That's my plan. Remember reliable people only get relied upon - it's the jerks who get the perks - be a jerk and get those perks.

Best advice Ive read here all week. - Planetspinz, you rock! ;D

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Three years ago - A few MTs did that.

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently, they went right to corporate and complained in particular that they kept getting NJA. Corporate got *****. Their reaction was "You want work? I'll give ya work" and shoved the cesspool down our throats. We shouldn't have to know what that word means, but we do. It was our punishment for trying to have a voice in our job, like how dare we challenge corporate? In the blink of an eye, we were boggled beyond belief with any and every client MQ had as long as there was work. I personally did 36 different clients within the first week. Corporate must have been snickering, saying "Be careful what you ask for. Now just shut up." We were supposed to have learned our lesson. You think you got it hard now with ASR? You ain't seen nothing.

That was the last straw for me... - cesspool

[ In Reply To ..]
That was right after ASR people were told they were getting a pay cut to edit, while weeks before that happened, I had been trying to get a raise...doing tier 3 work and getting tier 2 pay. When the ASR crap hit the fan, I was told I had to wait. What? Why? And then the cesspool and I was gone.

I still read this board just to see what's going on and it makes me sad. I learned on the job at MQ fresh out of school. Had a great trainer who corrected all my work and gave me all the help I needed. I can't believe where the company ended up.

That has made me just that much more determined - to see these crooks shut down. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The crooks should be "careful what THEY ask for!" They totally underestimate the frustration and fury of their MTs.

At this point we don't have much left to lose in this business. And what they don't seem to understand is that a person with nothing left to lose can be their most dangerous adversary.

they also sent out a survey first- beware - weekendwarrior

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't forget MQ sent out a survey and skewed the results to fit their agenda. MTs were complaining about running out of work so thus came the cesspool. Then the survey about ASR and so MQ decided that we were overpaid. So I guess all I can say is heads up when they send out a survey because changes are coming that are not good for the MT.

No consistency - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have noticed an absolute refusal of ASR for even consistency -- in the same line it will use a numeral for "one" and then 3 words later spell it out? WTH? I swear my ASR is getting dumber~~

ASR could work - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think ASR could work if it was given the time and manhours. I have worked briefly on a few accounts that were actually not that bad, and you only have to "edit."; however, the majority of the ASR accounts I have edited are a disaster. I believe it may not be the ASR's fault, but the MQ bookkeepers who found that it was more cost-effective to just let us "fix" the reports instead of working with the program and getting it fine-tuned into the asset that was promised.

The action that works - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand and sympathize with your frustration and your feeling that you are being treated unjustly. But this is work, a JOB, and they only way one can effectively express displeasure with a job situation when you have been ignored by management is to LEAVE. As long as you stay, they will continue to kick you. When ASR came to my account with Spheris, I gave my resignation and was out of there. I just refused to do it, and am happily working now at a company with straight transcription only with decent pay, no offshoring, and fair treatment of its MTs. That is really the only solution. If you keep letting them kick you, they will keep kicking you. Leave. That's the only answer, really.

Similar Messages:

Why Do MTSO Advertise, But Never Call Or If They Do Call, Nothing.
Feb 20, 2012

I am tired and frustrated from applying and sending out resumes only to be ignored.  It is like a game with them, I think.  MedGarde even has an interview which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills or qualifications.  In fact it seems like psychological testing to see if you are mentally competent or something like that.  I swear I feel like a mouse that is being tested and run through a maze to see how well you perform, but even mice will get the prize or food event ...

Reporting Time Pay Aka On Call Or Call-in Pay
May 08, 2015

I am considering requesting this pay which (depending on the state) considers us to be on-call and must be paid for part of our shift if no work. I have had it up to here with Nuance and running out of work, adding more and more accounts and STILL no work. Got a second job and STILL being screwed by Nuance in the sense that I cannot rely on my first job (income wise), because when there is enough work they manage to screw my cpl with their lovely FIESA, then as soon as I have no errors the work ...

Legal Action
Jun 10, 2010

I really can't believe this....well I can. I quit Medquist three weeks ago. I promptly received my labels to return my equipment which included a letter saying I needed to return the equipment within 14 days.....5 DAYS LATER...I get a letter via UPS, which I had to sign for, saying I MUST return the equipment within 7 days or legal action will be put upon me!!! Really??? First of all, I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a box and packing to protect the computer in transit, but furt ...

IS THERE ANY LEGAL ACTION WE CAN TAKE
Apr 03, 2013

For constantly getting no jobs on your shift anymore?  This is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!  It has been since December and is just getting constantly worse!  My shift is supposed to be 5 hours and I very rarely get more than 2.5 hours of work, tonight just 2 hours!  My supervisor says she has too many MTs in our group, SO WHY AREN'T WE MOVING PEOPLE AROUND!?  There must be something legally that can be done about this!  It is totally unfair!  I have worked for ...

Corrective Action
Apr 13, 2013

Sorry if this is a duplicate post - I tried to post and then it disapeared.  Anyhow, does anyone know how many corrective actions you can get before you get canned?  I've gotten 2 recently for production. :/ ...

NJA - Legal Action
Aug 05, 2013

Has anyone spoken to a lawyer about NJA and not being paid for that time, or being forced to use our PTO, even though it's not our request to have a day off? Just wondering, because I'm thinking of speaking to a lawyer, can't imagine this is legal. ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

Fair Pay, Collective Action
Aug 14, 2011

MedQuist has steadily decreased its pay for speech recognition to a level that forces experienced medical transcriptionists into poverty.  Currently, speech recognition at 300 lines per hour pays less than that earned by a nursing assistant with only 2 weeks of training. We are calling for a universal action beginning 1 September 2011, with a demand that MedQuist increase the speech recognition rate to at least 85% of what we earn with straight transcription.  EFFECTIVE September 1, 2 ...

MT Week Direct Action
May 10, 2012

more. May Day! May Day! The MT ship is listing and worse! Join us in a Letters to the Editor Campaign Online and in Print Starting MT Week! Here is what we are doing and asking you as a working MT to do. Whenever you are OOW, NJA, etc., draft a letter, compile a list of local newspapers and blogs in your area or nationally and start mailing them, posting them or emailing them to the editor. Let us be productive during our OOW times and do something about our collective situations. You can req ...

Class Action Lawsuit?
Apr 08, 2013

Wondering how/if all of us who work for MModal can start a class action lawsuit against them?  What for you ask?  Oh gee......lying to us, taking our work away from us, saying they'll pay a certain amount but really do not, bad TSMs.....etc, etc.  What all those are called in legal terms, I have no idea.  I am 60 years old and not close to retirement age yet.....Michigan does not allow part time UE, so what the heck am I going to do for a living for the next 2 years?&nbs ...

How Do You Get A Class Action Suit
May 20, 2013

Sorry - awhile back thought I was going to lose my job.  I am so fed up with they keep lying to us about our pay, etc, - well I am cornerstone - saw someome on here the other day -usually do not see Cornerstone- anyway - I just emailed Shaw or whatever his name is - Amay's second hand guy - kind of scared but at the same time feel empowered ...

Exactly What Is The Performance Action Plan ?
Sep 25, 2014

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread. I'm wondering exactly what the peformance action plan is. Are any of you on this and what is the reason behind why you were put on it. TIA.  ...

Nuance Disciplinary Action Plan
Jul 21, 2013

Does anyone know what, if any, disciplinary action Nuance has taken due to variances between system hours and hands-on-keyboard hours? Also, less than committed hours due to OOW situations (and not making it up during nonwork hours)? I want to know if these are things I even need to get worked up over. ...

Transcend Class Action Lawsuit
Jan 29, 2014

Does anyone have any idea how the above lawsuit is progressing.  I received an e-mail a few months ago, informing us Transcend had not compiled all the necessary discovery and they had a second hearing late last year.  Maybe one of the original 13 or so plaintiffs has some information ? Thanking you in advance.   ...

Class Action Suits. All The Comments Below That Nothing
Apr 05, 2014

can be done. That is SO NOT true, and I hate to state the obvious, the elephant in OUR room here, that its likely management trolls.  The law firm listed below is fantastic.  And class actions work where 1 or 2 Plaintiffs step up and its converted to a class action for all employees. That's where ya sit back, don't have to do squat, the pros go over payroll and you get compensated if wages are calculated to be do you. Its simple, NOT some big drama fest.  This IS America ...

Class Action Lawsuit MModal
May 10, 2014

Anyone know about any class action lawsuit by employees in terms of MModal? ...

Five Months In & I Got My First 'corrective Action' Today
Jul 24, 2014

According to MModal: "MT failed to meet the lines per hour production requirement for PPE 7/19/14. MT’s LPH during that pay period was 106.  Issuing verbal corrective action." My reply: "There seems to be a discrepancy with the LPH, because according to Fluency, I'm usually above the 150/hour.  But short of limiting restroom breaks until after work, having a DSL line that is working superiorly and enduring 8 hours of continuous lower back pain without stretching my leg (I ...

Transcend And Class Action Lawsuit
Aug 01, 2014

Does anyone have any information regarding the above-mentioned lawsuit, plaintiffs v. Transcend? ...

* Class Action Suit Against IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

..has been discussed. I highly, highly suggest IMEDX does the right thing, or some money grubbin attorney will be glad to take on not on IMEDX's obvious and blatant playing with lives, but also the whole industry. Imedx is ripe for lawsuits, and they have deep pockets. Suits, wake up, we have nothing to lose now but a consult with an attorney. You clearly have and are going to continue to violate laws, now do the right thing. Also, you don't want to the Labor Board, etc involved from 5 ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

Got The Boot. Do I Have To Sign The Corrective Action Form? Sm
Jun 15, 2010

After being with MQ for 11 years and with YOG (bought out by MQ) for years prior to that, I got the boot for something I know I did not do.  I got the call yesterday, 6/14, for a violation that I'm accused of making a couple of weeks ago.  So why the delay?  Why did it take 2 weeks for them to contact me?  The thing that gets me is its their word against mine.  How are we supposed to defend ourselves?  Once a report has been transcribed and submitted, its out o ...

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Transcend
May 12, 2012

Anyone who works for Transcend now or in the last three years needs to check this out. This is the real deal.  For all of us who haven't made minimum wage or were refused overtime pay, you may be able to get in on this. ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign For
May 18, 2012

MT Week (that begins Sunday) and what working MTs actually bring to "patient safety." Let us take meaningful action today and this weekend to regain MT Week as a week that TRULY recognizes the working MT. Ship Letters to the Editor off electronically and by snail mail to your local papers for publication in their print and online editions. AHDIs theme this year is "patient safety" in case you didn't know. What a joke and so self-serving! How about a theme of "The MTSO How-To Guide To Ensu ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign
May 20, 2012

It looks like I will be the 1st to post a letter to the editor that is going out. I will be hitting everywhere from the East Coast to the West coast and everywhere in between! Read on and feel free to edit for your own letters. Medical Transcriptionist Week (MT Week) began this past Sunday, May 20, 2012. The idea is to recognize and reward MTs over the course of a single week. The theme this year is Patient Safety. MTs all across the country, and in fact, around the world are transcribing your ...

Expectations, Reality Check ..and Plan Of Action
Dec 23, 2012

I just cant believe MMOdal have set their bar so low... What has MModal done to make our accuracy grow DEP programers, heres a piece of advice...get an option of grading the dictator in ur next version of DEP within the file....like, excellent, decent, good, bad, worst...whoever ever get 2 weeks of worst % should be warned if still no improvement, penailze with heafty fine and still no improvement, should be dumped from dictating forever.. 1.  MMODAL face it..ur DEP program is grabage..e ...

How Many Pay Periods Not Meeting Line Count Before Action Is Taken? Sm
Dec 13, 2013

I just don't know what else I can do without really doing any proofreading.  I never ever had this problem before.  I am lucky enough to still do straight typing but the program is slow and I do have several accts in my pool which we all know is not the best way to work when you work on production.  I am looking for another job and actually had 2 interviews outside of MT and I am just hoping and praying, but in the meantime I have never been so frustrated and downright angry ...

Aetna Insurance Class Action Lawsuit ???
Dec 20, 2013

Yesterday I received papers regarding a lawsuit against Aetna.  Has anyone else received such papers?  Thanks ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign Mt Week
May 22, 2012

By the way you have me mixed up with someone else who wrote a LTTE. The post you critiqued was the first draft of this particular letter. Thanks again for your constructive criticism. I loved it!  Version 2 and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more than you enjoyed Version 1 Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line d ...

Has Anyone Heard The Status On The Class Action Lawsuit Against Transcend?
Jan 04, 2013

I haven't been to the boards for quite a while, but I was just googling to find out a current phone number for Transcend to put on a resume, and I saw about the lawsuit. What's going on with this?  Does anyone know? ...

Class Action Lawsuit/Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops
Feb 18, 2011

Anybody who in interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops please contact. I have spoken with several different agencies as I am sure most of you have and this seems to be the best route to take.  Frankly, I do not care if I personally ever see a dime out of this man, I just want to see him have to pay for his fraudulent business practices. ...