A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Class Action Lawsuit/Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops - chelle

Posted: Feb 18, 2011

Anybody who in interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops please contact.

I have spoken with several different agencies as I am sure most of you have and this seems to be the best route to take.  Frankly, I do not care if I personally ever see a dime out of this man, I just want to see him have to pay for his fraudulent business practices.

good thing you don't care because -- - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
class action suits only pay the lawyers. I was involved in one with the phone company - THE PHONE COMPANY - do you know how many hundreds of thousands people were involved? Point is - way larger company - way larger suit - way larger settlement than even imaginable in this current arena.

I have framed and hanging in my bathroom a settlement check in the amount of 38 CENTS.

The lawywers, on the other hand, walked with a percentage of severaal million --- each.

But if all you are after is the headache, by all means have at it. They may even have to close, er, I mean change their name.

But your experience... - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
as horrible as it was - is not the result of all class action suits.

That said, what the OP really needs to do is see if she did make a mistake signing the contract - by not understanding what she was actually signing. If you can prove fraud that's another thing. I'd start with sharing the emails with everyone from my local reps in Congress to any and all agencies who might be interested in how much fun he is having with all of this...

toth - chelle

[ In Reply To ..]
I truly just want to see him see come consequences for his actions and realize that you cannot take advantage of people the way that he does, not to mention verbally abuse and harrass your employess and former employees (as I am not working there anymore and have posted on her the 2 emails he has already sent me today).
Yes, but here's a fair question - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
As odious as his emails are - *did* you misunderstand the contract?
toth - chelle
[ In Reply To ..]
No, I did not, he bullied his way around it which I have all on record through email. After my check was more than 2 weeks late, the initial altercation occurred all via emial, and I gave my two week notice required by contract. At which time he basically told me okay but good luck getting your money cuz you will never see a dime from me.
He owes me now for 2 1/2 months worth of work.
Still unclear - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all I am on your side but the fact of the matter is that *if* you signed a contract you are bound to it unless you can prove fraud/the other party breaching said contract.

So I am asking you again to check your contract - you don't have to convince. If you are going to build a case you have to honestly assess *what you signed.* Now, emails after the fact may have some bearance but only an attorney can help you there. And that's where it gets dicey - most likely you would have to put out $ for representation.

But again, if he is a cheat, maybe enough people will come forward and support you in your effort to get a 'class action' suit.

Your local congressman/woman might also be able to advise of any other recourse you might have through state/federal agencies.
toth - chelle
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I did not mean to be unclear, I will be more specific as I am looking for honest feedback here.
Yes there is a contract, however, there is a few problems with it. First of all, I don't even know if it would hold up in court since techniquely it expired the first of the year, it states that the contract expires at the end of every year and a new one must be signed at the beginning of each year. I was never asked to sign a new one.
However, the bigger problem is this..... the contract requires that I give 2 weeks notice. I gave my 2 weeks notice via email to which he replied by back by email stating that he accepted my notice but not to expect to get paid.
did this situation arise after your contract expired? - anonmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm asking because common sense tells me as of that expiration date - you were working without a contract at all. And sadly no protection.

Once expired that contract can no longer be enforced. WHY ARE YOU GIVING 2 WEEKS NOTICE? you are now working for nothing, and yes, with no contract he CAN do whatever he wants. He is no longer under 'contract' to pay you. IT EXPIRED.

Get out while you can - and get some legal advice.
Well there is no way ... - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way I or anyone else can advise you from a forum. You must get an attorney's opinion. Only they can look at the contract and apply state/federal law and tell you how to proceed.

We can give you support, and my take is that he's a total cheat and a snark to boot - but personal opinions don't matter in court.

The contract may have expired, but that in and of itself will not tell the whole story. For relatively little $ you can get a legal opinion - so of course you'll be the judge (no pun intended) on whether you want to put more $ out or let it ride.

Just by posting your experience you have given a heads up to people who come to this site for feedback on companies. You might also try posting your complaint on that ripoff website! Maybe somebody else here has the address.

I am sure you have learned this from this experience to never sign a contract you don't clearly understand. Also, you can alter anything in a contract you don't like by crossing it out or changing it and initialing the change(s). THEN get a signed copy from the *other end* and they are bound to the changes you made.

Good luck!
toth - chelle
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for you support. The main reaason a posted on here was simply to let everyone no this man is still in operation and Beware because he is a scammer! And, yes I have an attorney and will be contacting her. Thank you all!
Do this.......... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I did this a couple of years ago and it worked for me. Well, first off I DO believe that you can file criminal charges against him if you can prove he had "intent" not to pay. Obviously he did have the intention not to pay, because there are several others on this board that claim the same thing, maybe you could get those to band together with you. If he intended not to pay you for your services, then he WAS performing a scam.

This is my advice for now though. Whatever accounts you worked for, google and find their addresses. Write each of them a letter letting them know that Toth did not pay you for your services and therefore you area asking them to pay you for the lines you produced. Attach an invoice to each of them for the amount that is due. Send a cc to Toth. Do this EVERY SINGLE DAY for at least a month. Send a cc to Toth every single time. If you irritate the account owners enough, they will start to question him and they will also see how he is scamming people. I would try to find others from this board who were ripped off to do the same. It worked for me, and it only took about five days and I was paid. The woman I worked for claimed she was paying me what she didn't feel they owed me, just because I was irritating to her, BUT I got paid and I WAS owed the money.

Good luck.
That actually happened in our work setting, as well. My husband does construction... - ndmt
[ In Reply To ..]
and had a client who hired a man to pour concrete for him. It was a pretty substantial amount, I will guess a $30,000 to $40,000 job which the client paid.

However, the man doing the work did not pay for the concrete. Therefore, the concrete company called the client and told them while they realized he had paid for the job, the law gave them recourse to go after the client for the money for the unpaid concrete.

The client verified this with a lawyer. The client then contacted the man who poured the concrete and it was taken care of immediately by that man.

You may be surprised what advice a lawyer has for you.
I can dig it. I found that sometimes you have to irritate - the heck out of creditors in order to be paid.
[ In Reply To ..]
And of course, you get the added, cathartic benefit of knowing you're ruining somebody else's day, just as yours has been so often ruined by them. It's what went around, coming back around again to bite 'em.
This could work, but... - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
She cannot file criminal charges in a civil case, and she confimed this by contacting the police. Call the FBI too - see what they say.

That said, your approach is dangerous and extreme, but it could work and IF I believed I was in the right and was willing to chance being sued in return, I'd do the same thing.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You have to weigh the moral outrage against the possible legal outcome of your actions. Remember opinions don't count in a court of law.
toth - chelle
[ In Reply To ..]
As much as I would love to contact the clients and let them know what is going on.... it is in my contract that if I do this he has the right to sue me. I am telling you, he IS THE MASTER OF THIS SCAM! He has found a way of going about it that he knows he can get away with. How the law can stand back and allow him to continue is beyond me.

Write a complaint here with the PA BBB! - Link inside.

[ In Reply To ..]
http://pittsburgh.bbb.org/Find-Business-Reviews/#middle-result

BBB is only for consumers, not an employees/IC. - Labor board for employees/IC but sometimes does no

[ In Reply To ..]
x

uhmmm read what they state on their site! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
toth - chelle
[ In Reply To ..]
The labor board says IC's are not considered employess so they can do nothing and referred me to BBB who said they can do nothing, who referred me to attorneys generals office who has not returned my emails.

toth - chelle

[ In Reply To ..]
Already tried that, they said they couldnt do anything for me and to call the attorney general who told me I had to sue civily, in Pennsylvania, which is convenient since I live in Illinois. That is why he only hires out of state. Hes is the master of this scam im telling ya.

Similar Messages:

Toth Transcription/AP Medical/AP MedWorkshops
Feb 17, 2011

Wow I really wish I had known about this board a year ago!  Yes the big conartist is still at and has just conned me out of a whole lot of money. And now I techniquely have one year of experience, sure he will give me a horrible reference since he is quite simply a bad man, and still cannot find a job. After reading all the other complaints about this man I simply do not understand how they are still in business.  I made multiple phone calls today trying to figure out who to tur ...

Class Action Lawsuit?
Apr 08, 2013

Wondering how/if all of us who work for MModal can start a class action lawsuit against them?  What for you ask?  Oh gee......lying to us, taking our work away from us, saying they'll pay a certain amount but really do not, bad TSMs.....etc, etc.  What all those are called in legal terms, I have no idea.  I am 60 years old and not close to retirement age yet.....Michigan does not allow part time UE, so what the heck am I going to do for a living for the next 2 years?&nbs ...

Transcend Class Action Lawsuit
Jan 29, 2014

Does anyone have any idea how the above lawsuit is progressing.  I received an e-mail a few months ago, informing us Transcend had not compiled all the necessary discovery and they had a second hearing late last year.  Maybe one of the original 13 or so plaintiffs has some information ? Thanking you in advance.   ...

Class Action Lawsuit MModal
May 10, 2014

Anyone know about any class action lawsuit by employees in terms of MModal? ...

Transcend And Class Action Lawsuit
Aug 01, 2014

Does anyone have any information regarding the above-mentioned lawsuit, plaintiffs v. Transcend? ...

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Transcend
May 12, 2012

Anyone who works for Transcend now or in the last three years needs to check this out. This is the real deal.  For all of us who haven't made minimum wage or were refused overtime pay, you may be able to get in on this. ...

Aetna Insurance Class Action Lawsuit ???
Dec 20, 2013

Yesterday I received papers regarding a lawsuit against Aetna.  Has anyone else received such papers?  Thanks ...

Has Anyone Heard The Status On The Class Action Lawsuit Against Transcend?
Jan 04, 2013

I haven't been to the boards for quite a while, but I was just googling to find out a current phone number for Transcend to put on a resume, and I saw about the lawsuit. What's going on with this?  Does anyone know? ...

BREAKING NEWS!!! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

AP Medical / Toth Transcription
Jan 09, 2013

I worked for this couple for over a month. He has decided not to pay using the excuse that he pays after 2 months, but that is after all his fees. This guy is a total joke. After he said he would not pay me for all the work I have done, I stopped producing. He says I owe him for 2 weeks  worth of work. He is now threatening me that he will come across state lines and make me pay him for work lost and legal fees.  Is he really that ignorant? He is actually funny when he tries to sc ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

How Do You Get A Class Action Suit
May 20, 2013

Sorry - awhile back thought I was going to lose my job.  I am so fed up with they keep lying to us about our pay, etc, - well I am cornerstone - saw someome on here the other day -usually do not see Cornerstone- anyway - I just emailed Shaw or whatever his name is - Amay's second hand guy - kind of scared but at the same time feel empowered ...

Medical Transcription Course At A State University And A Med Terminology Class For MTs Thru Allied?
Jul 14, 2011

I planned on going this route in order to obtain a job as an MT. Do you think this is feasible? I would also be purchasing plenty of dictation practice materials. (Practice, practice, practice!!) Thanks in advance for your input!   ...

Class Action Suits. All The Comments Below That Nothing
Apr 05, 2014

can be done. That is SO NOT true, and I hate to state the obvious, the elephant in OUR room here, that its likely management trolls.  The law firm listed below is fantastic.  And class actions work where 1 or 2 Plaintiffs step up and its converted to a class action for all employees. That's where ya sit back, don't have to do squat, the pros go over payroll and you get compensated if wages are calculated to be do you. Its simple, NOT some big drama fest.  This IS America ...

* Class Action Suit Against IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

..has been discussed. I highly, highly suggest IMEDX does the right thing, or some money grubbin attorney will be glad to take on not on IMEDX's obvious and blatant playing with lives, but also the whole industry. Imedx is ripe for lawsuits, and they have deep pockets. Suits, wake up, we have nothing to lose now but a consult with an attorney. You clearly have and are going to continue to violate laws, now do the right thing. Also, you don't want to the Labor Board, etc involved from 5 ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST TRANSCEND!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!
May 11, 2012

Well, it's done folks!  A couple of VERY brave ladies have filed a class action suit for make up to minimum and OT issues against Transcend.  If anyone is interested in getting their own going against some other MTSO's, well, it's time to be heard.  We're not going to take it anymore!  If you would like info on the attorneys who filed this suit, please feel free to email me.  A very proud day indeed! ...

Class Action Lawsuits Against VR Cancers Would Start To Turn The Tide....
Jul 04, 2012

Many continue spinning their wheels in misdirected anger at the MTSOs who are the secondary byproducts/bottom feeders of the much larger metastatic VR software giants currently monopolizing this industry. Start hacking at the heads of the snakes & the tide will start to turn for MTs.  This below was posted on another thread and the first suggestion is spot on.    4cpl - Roda Posted: Jul 3rd, 2012 - 1:00 pm In Reply to: The abuse won't stop - Until we ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

Toth Transcription
May 31, 2012

I was wondering if the lawsuit against this jerk ever produced any results?  I worked for them in 2005 and quit 4 months after I started because I'd been working 60 days straight without being paid.  I told him I wouldn't type another line until I was paid and received several verbally abusive messages, full of expletives, but never received my wages.  They still owe me almost $2000. ...

Lawsuit Regarding Errors In Indian Transcription?
Aug 14, 2010

A friend was telling me that a lawyer friend was telling her about how he's working on a lawsuit dealing with all of the errors with the work that some Indian MTs have done.  He was very vague, of course.  Has anyone else heard something similar?  ...

Capitalization - Los Angeles Class/Class A esophagitis
Dec 17, 2012

Los Angeles class/Class A esophagitis. Is "class" capped or no?   Thank you. ...

School Medworkshops
Nov 13, 2010

I wan'ted to know if anyone know if medworkshops is a good school? ...

Medworkshops/TNI Internship
May 16, 2011

Has anyone interned with TNI through Medworkshops or another school? I am currently interning and am starting to doubt my decision to go through this school and company. Thanks so much for any input. ...

Art Toth
Mar 10, 2011

Anyone else being harassed by Art Toth? ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Class 2 Or Class II Tuberculosis (nm)
Dec 30, 2010

x ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...