A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"so MRI was cancelled due to the NURSES STRIKE" HELLO.....that's what we need. - mt2

Posted: Apr 30, 2012

I'm sick of working my butt off for crap wages.  Why can't we strike?  Because we work AT HOME.  We can't group up and stick up for ourselves.  I, for one, has had it.  I have 30 years experience.  I've watched my salary sink lower each year.  If it wasn't for my husband's income, we'd be on the streets right now.  I have 2 more hours on my shift but guess what - SCREW IT.  I'm done for the night.  What am I going to lose?  A few bucks.  Big fricken whoop.

nurses are needed... we are not - we are 100% replaceable

[ In Reply To ..]
We cant strike because WE DONT MATTER. Not to the hospitals, not the doctors, not the MTSOs, not to the general public! We are nonexistant!

If we are replaceable, - how come

[ In Reply To ..]
we haven't all been replaced? Could it be that machines and overseas workers were not the answer to get free medical transcription?

Not the answer? - really?

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you seen the ads for 3 cpl for edit and 5 for straight? I'd say that is pretty much free medical transcription, no?
Nurses used to barely make minimum wage, staged strikes... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
organized unions, and are now paid what they are worth. Believe me it was not quick, not easy, and intimidation by hospital management was rampant.
that is because they are needed - MTs are not
[ In Reply To ..]
That is why they are paid their worth.
Nurses - Grateful MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Nurses work very hard, I never appreciated that until I had to be hospitalized for a couple of nights when I had ankle surgery. I received excellent care and truly appreciated all that they did to take care of me. My nurses worked 12-hour shifts, were there in the evening when I went to sleep, and the same ones greeted me the next morning. Anyone who thinks that job is a "sweet deal" needs to trade places with a nurse, even for a day, to see what they have to deal with: People get cranky and demanding when they don't feel well, the nurse is in the line of fire, and that's just for starters. I would never compare MTs with nurses, we don't deserve the same pay at all, IMO, I could never do a nurses's job. I'm curious - how much do you think you are worth, and what facts are you presenting to prove your point? I'm reading a lot of "we want it/deserve it because we are MTs" but without much logic to back it up. No one is going to take you seriously after the "strike" unless you are able to lay your cards on the table.
If management were paid what they're "worth", they'd - be making even less than WE do.
[ In Reply To ..]
XX
NURSES ARE OVERPAID - in my opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
My neighbor is a nurse and she only works Saturday and Sunday night, but gets paid a 40 hour week because she works every weekend. Well.... I WORK EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY TOO! Where is my 40 hours pay for the weekend commitment I was forced into?

Nurses have a union, that's why they get the sweet deal - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
no other reason. Stick together and get some of the goodies. Stand on your own, and as the song goes, "how low can you go?" Low, low, low, low, low....
RNs are highly skilled professionals. Not high school-grad - typists with some medical terminology. You want
[ In Reply To ..]
respect, improve yourself. Don't complain that others who worked much harder and longer to improve themselves and who work far more challenging jobs are more needed and more respected.

I moved to this work with my eyes open--from a busy stressful field where the skill I offered was judgement and analysis and where I was the one who dictated and signed my own reports (long into the night if that's what it took). Of course I did not expect the same pay and respect when I moved from a professional field to clerical work, typing up other people's reports.

Seemingly, being honest with oneself about this reality does lead to greater self esteem. I certainly do not need to tear others down to feel better about myself, and I do not resent that others earn more because they are more valuable in the workplace. My choice.
Hear! Hear! - Thank you!
[ In Reply To ..]
Finally, someone else who understands that MTs are not "medical professionals" on a par with doctors and nurses. For Pete's sake, we have no real medical training, we cannot diagnose or treat patients or prescribe medications, and we do not have licenses to practice medicine. We do not have anything close to the kind of education, training, and experience that real medical professionals have. We did not go to medical school. We know some medical terminology and how to format a limited range of medical documents. To try to put that kind of minor skill set on a par with doctors or nurses is delusional. I have seen comments on this board from MTs who claim to "know as much as doctors." Nonsense. MT is not a profession; it is a trade. It is an honorable trade, but it is still a trade. Even if you got your MT training from a "college", it was not a real college curriculum, no matter how much "science" the course included. It was a trade school. The "science" courses in an MT curriculum are very limited, watered-down versions of real science courses. Doctors and nurses take real science courses, lots and lots of them. MT training is a tiny drop in the bucket by comparison.

I'm an MT, not a nurse or doctor or other real medical professional. I render the dictated reports of real medical professionals into a prescribed format. That is all. I do not have the training or the resonsibilities of a real medical professional. Therefore, I do not command the same compensation level as they do, and I do not expect it.
You can be a highly skilled clerical worker... - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
...who makes well above minimum wage, even if you aren't as highly skilled as nurse, etc. Shouldn't be a two-tier system - the highly skilled make good money - and everyone else is scraping to get by.
Yes, Where's, but not in this job. It's too limited, requires - too low level of knowledge. I know. I used
[ In Reply To ..]
to earn $60K in the 1980s as a high-level clerk in a fiduciary position that required a college degree. Just sitting for the license had prerequisites of a year of additional specialized classes and then 2 years of experience on the job. Then I was entitled to spend a grand or more a year just on mandatory continuing education courses and seminars to keep the license up.

Please note that by almost all definitions that level of clerical work, even though I wore a suit and had others type my letters for me, did not rise to the level of a profession, although the head of my department, an executive, would be considered a professional.

So, the simple truth is that calling transcription a profession is silly and an indicator of serious ignorance of the attainments required of professionals. This is a trade, white collar, but a trade that requires very little knowledge and has no responsibility. A job, not a career, because careers go places. People should understand the differences because they are very big and their impact on our lives are big. For instance, incomes for professionals have been rising even more in this era while ours have dropped. People don't to college for self-punishment, after all. There are rewards for all that investment in oneself.

People who want careers and a profession need to get on their sticks and go for them.
nurses overpaid definitely - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
My best friend is a nurse, and she definitely gets overpaid and only works 1-2 days per week, rarely 3. I work 16-20 hours per day and have to be knowledgeable in all medical fields AND pay for all costs, i.e., computers, dictation systems, software, hardware, 2 of everything, etc., and I went to school longer than she did plus internships. She on the other hand does not and is only required to know 1 field of medicine and has no computer skills.
So... we MTs are underpaid??? - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
could be she's being paid just right...and we're the ones underpaid.

If we all chose to STOP EDITING VR and ESL c**p, - then yes, we WOULD begin to matter.

[ In Reply To ..]

Your own quiet, "May 1" PERSONAL PROTEST! Keep it up. - The summer is before us. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Just be sure to come here each time to register it. We do want to make sure the messages get across, after all. :)

YEESSSSSSSS !!!!!!! - nm - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Have Any Of You MTs Been Nurses Or Going Into Nursing?
Aug 14, 2011

I started taking the nursing program at my local college 10 years ago and loved it, but dropped out after a year to get married, bad decision!  So, just looking to see if anyone here has been a nurse or is going into nursing and what they like/dislike about their jobs.  I am also looking into the RN program in the future.  ...

What The ...mandatory OT Cancelled And Then
Mar 25, 2015

Does anyone in corporate understand the transcription business.  I am getting so sick of this.  Let them fire me for not doing mandatory OT and get someone else to work my 9pm-5am Wed-Sun shift for which we apparently are no longer getting a shift differential. ...

What About Immigrant Doctors And Nurses?
Aug 11, 2010

Some people are in US are worried about offshoring medical transcription job to other countries like India as their medical records would be misused or it is under wrong hands.  Then what about immigrant doctors and nurses working in USA?  There are lacs of doctors from different nations immigrated to US and also nurses.  What about the safety of medical records on those doctors and nurses' hands?  How you will ensure safety of medical records in such a situation.  ...

Cancelled Or Canceled? Which Is Correct?
Nov 20, 2010

Cancelled or conceled? ...

To Those Who Were In The Coding Program That Was Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015

To those of you who were in that huge coding training program that was canceled recently, have you given up on coding or enrolled in another program? What did you decide to do? ...

I Was Just Over At Several Forums For Nurses And They Are Having Trouble Getting Jobs
Oct 30, 2011

One new nurse was told that her skills are stale and she needs to go through a "refresher" course, which costs $2,000 before she will be able to get a job. Another one has been looking for work for 6 months with no luck. I went over there to see if people in other kinds of work eat their young as MTs sometimes do. I thought maybe everyone else was happy and enjoying successful careers. Apparently not. These are tough times. I think sometimes we generalize so much that we depress each other. N ...

Nurse's Or Nurses' Notes Which Is Correct?
Feb 17, 2014

Is it always correct to use nurses' notes in dictation?  My reasoning is that it is yes because there could be more than one nurse charting on the case.   ...

Transcend/Nuance Lawsuit Cancelled - Sm
Jan 27, 2015

I received an e-mail today basically saying the attorneys will not conduct a collective action lawsuit but that we are all free to file suit on our own. What a waste of time and what a joke. I figured this would be the case. So, once again, the big corporation wins and the cheated employeees lose. ...

I Suppose This Means Training On EMR For Doctors, Nurses, PAs Etc...
Feb 12, 2010

Obama Administration to Announce  $975 Million in Health Grants  Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration today will announce $975 million in government grants to expand the use of technology in the health-care industry and train medical professionals to use new systems. The spending, part of the $862 billion economic stimulus legislation passed a year ago, will expand technology use at more than 100,000 hospitals, according to an administration official speaking on the c ...

STRIKE
Nov 05, 2009

After 20 plus years in this field and now having to work 15 hour days to make a decent day's pay, I do not know about you, but I am fed up.  There is not a company out there that does in fact "value" our services.  If we can get 8/line we consider ourselves lucky.  I have seen the rates go down and believe that is due to the fact most companies outsource to other countries - whether they admit it or not - and was in fact told by a recent recruiter not to expect more than 8 ce ...

STRIKE!!!!! WE ALL NEED TO STRIKE
Nov 21, 2009

Go back to school - the economy is so rough on experienced MTs and we all need to band together and strike for three days just like people do with the gas prices.  Let them see how really important we are instead of paying us wages like a beginner transcriptionist. ...

STRIKE THREE
Jul 30, 2010

I have been on 100% QA for 3 MONTHS now.  Been working slower, taking my lumps, reading each (of my 300) client profiles, "thanking" my CCM and QA for their feedback, no no avail.  I can't live with this pay MQ gives.  I cannot make a decent check at 4cpl on 100% ASR.  I talked to my CCM, but really???  "There's nothing I can do until you're off QA, I understand how hard it is, I don't think it's right either..."   This cannot be LEG ...

What If We Went On Strike For A Day?
May 12, 2011

Really I am just being silly, but think about it!  What if we all just quit typing for one day?  What if the day we just don't type falls on an Indian Holiday?  HeHeHe then they would be screwed!  That's how I feel right now with the short changing I keep getting.  I am on a 95% ASR account with the world's worst dictators.  Oh well, just a thought.  I just thought I would share this after going over my line count and what I made today so far. *e ...

You All Need To Get Together And Strike.
Aug 16, 2013

You need to wake up the industry.  You all need to strike.  Need to pick a few days to not work at the same time.  You all need to call in sick.  You say you need your job??  I guarentee you this company is LAYING OFF MTs EVERYDAY!  There are some days which are in the hundred range.  You need to stand up and do something or you will soon GET THE CALL stating you are such a good employee, but......  we unfortunately have to let you go.  At least you ...

Going On A Strike....sm
Dec 04, 2014

We should all go on strike until they fix this pay plan or give us our old pay and leave it alone. Thousands of MLS on strike would have an impact. Even hundreds might. It's the only way to get heard or our point across. We are the "bottom feeders" but we are the ones doing all the hard work, have the schooling for it and produce in order for the higher guys to get their lovely bonuses and big checks. We make them money. We are the company basically. If so many are outraged then we need to ...

You Need To Strike Like Others Are Doing Today.
Jul 29, 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/?test=latestnews   The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.  "A lot of ...

Strike In India, ILP's Asking Us To Help. I Say Let Them Sink. Nm
Dec 08, 2009

. ...

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

I Am Curious How Many Actually Did Strike Yesterday
May 02, 2012

I know it is not just the MTs, but I went to WM yesterday (yes I do hate WM, but no choice here in the middle of nowhere) and it was packed!!  Everyone was going about their normal daily routine it looked like. ...

MM India Strike, Anyone's Thoughts? :)
May 31, 2012

x ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Indian Workers On 24-hour Strike To Protest
Feb 28, 2012

Inflation (according to Reuters). Think we'll get more work? Sure hope this kind of thing catches on over there!  (take that, Kumar!). ...

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

Oh My, "go Live" Cancelled For 7.1 For Monday..
Aug 03, 2012

something about the ADT screen affecting the customer's end (mm's bottom line in other words) - now we know how to get their attention - $$$$ - if we could just figure a way to get them to hear us peasants screaming about how their crap just don't work no how. ...

Patient Has Colicky Abdominal Pain. Doc Tried To Ellcit S/l Heel Strike Sign? Help!
Apr 03, 2012

.. ...

Wonder, Did Anyone "strike" At Nuance Yesterday?
May 02, 2012

nm ...