A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Indian workers on 24-hour strike to protest - L&L

Posted: Feb 28, 2012

Inflation (according to Reuters).

Think we'll get more work? Sure hope this kind of thing catches on over there!  (take that, Kumar!).

they will probably get a raise and we will get - another pay cut

[ In Reply To ..]
Unbelievable.

Cause we dont have the stones to stand up and strke - jh

[ In Reply To ..]
If they are striking so should we..Put the company at a standstill..no wonder Im on foced OT

Why is it unbelievable - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
They are doing something about it. Every time someone on here suggests striking or refusing to do ASR and F11 everything, you all (not everybody) come on here and cry about being too scared to do anything. If you all would stand up and refuse to do ASR maybe you'll get something done. To me, ASR is the biggest problem. There are enough people that come to this site that would make them listen. They are not going to fire everybody, they don't have enough people to do what they have because everybody just quits instead of standing up to them.

Strike - Just Me

[ In Reply To ..]
That is remarkable. Take that MModal.

good for the workers - go go

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder if they were able to organize better because they actually work together in centers and know each other whereas we US MTs are more isolated and have no way to contact each other.

Ironic though isn't it that that the very workers they are trying to replace us with are protesting. Karma can be a b#$%@ some times.

LOL Karma rules!! - jh

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Rumor is, they're slowly demanding more & more - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
because they're tired of making less than us, and eventually it won't be worth it to send it to India where they crank out garbage because they won't be saving as much money. Hope it's true... They already are bringing back call centers to the US.

same thing happening in china where they are demanding more money and a US company is bringing back - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
the middle class is demanding more money in china and makes more sense to pay people higher here in the US where they work 3.5 times faster (the exact words I heard on the news)

sorry...A US company is bringing back a lightbulb company - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Wrong - Alias
[ In Reply To ..]
Honey, they're bringing back more than a lightbult company...sorry!!
what honey??? - no name
[ In Reply To ..]
x
She didn't say that was the only company - Just an example
[ In Reply To ..]
She said that's what she heard on the news. She wasn't wrong at all. She was right. Saying that I have a nose doesn't make me wrong because I didn't say I had an arm, leg, eye, ear, etc.
Oops - Alias
[ In Reply To ..]
The word "sorry" in front of everything threw the whole statement off. I know they're bringing a lightbulb company back. Don't understand why she's sorry about it, though. By the way, I'm glad you know all your body parts.
She was correcting her own post - part of it was left off
[ In Reply To ..]
She was apologizing for it being cut off at the end.
Thanks for being nice! nm - no name
[ In Reply To ..]
x
don't you just hate it when people say "honey"? - my2cents
[ In Reply To ..]
condescending.
I believe there are a lot more words - Boutgone
[ In Reply To ..]
That are a much more condescending than the word "honey." Can't help but think of all the people in the world that would love to hear that word just once, because all they've had in their lives is "hate."

Agree - Just Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Sweet!

Don't work the overtime - Blue Star

[ In Reply To ..]
If the Indians are striking, don't do the O/T. I guess the party wasn't good enough. Oh well, let Vern and Kumar sweat it. If there is any justice, Vern will miss out on his bonus this year. John Lennon put it perfectly..."Instant karma's gonna get ya..." Never thought I would ever say it, but Go India.

I agree no more OT!!!! - jh

[ In Reply To ..]
X

I wonder if this why some of the dictations I had early this evening.. - old fool

[ In Reply To ..]
were dictated around 11 a.m. and just now receiving them. Last week we had an email concerning an account that is with our global partner had some unforeseen event and were behind and they were offering OT. Maybe the tides will finally turn our way once again. Praying.

Indians on strike? - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't find anything on Google where the employees in India of M-Modal are striking. Where is this website?

I did NOT say MModal...it was on Reuters about - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
Indian workers in general who are striking over inflation. MModal workers might be construed as Indian workers in general. The pay demands over there have been increasing. It has been said before outsourcing in general is losing its rosey bloom.

Similar Messages:

Tech Support Laid Off After Training Indian Workers
Nov 12, 2012

Saw this way down the list of posts under Client Support: Client support - Associate Posted: Nov 12th, 2012 - 12:30 pm In Reply to: IT Support...India....UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!! - chipssisWell, the reason for this is that they made us train the techs in India and we just got a call that most of the US techs have been laid off. ...

Fast-food Workers Demanding $15 Per Hour Plus Benefits
Dec 08, 2012

Did anybody read the article on Yahoo news regarding fast food workers demanding $15 per hour and benefits? We do not make that sometimes and we have an education plus extensive training and for us ICs a lot of overhead. I do not deem fast food work a career but a job you work while in high school for extra spending money in your pocket...... ...

Protestors On Brooklyn Bridge. We Should Protest MQ
Oct 02, 2011

Article shows a person holding a sign stating, LIVE SIMPLY SO OTHER MAY SIMPLY LIVE.  Sounds like the higher ups at MQ?????  I know, we are scattered all over to protest, BUT STILL!!!!  WAKE UP BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF MQ!!!!!! Article also states:  "I don't think we're asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again," Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press. " ...

Today I've Decided On A Personal Protest Step To Help Myself.
May 01, 2012

My company has always invited us to create and store template dictations for common use by everyone. I've made many and been happy to share, and since they're good quality they're used by many, even some dictators to set up their own formal templates. It's always pleased me to be a team player, but, let's face it, this is only one more thing that allows my company to hire less skilled people and lower the line rates it pays me.  Just BTW, I figure it costs me proba ...

UPMC MTs Protest Post Nuance Outsourcing
Oct 31, 2013

These are transcriptionists that were pretty much forced to sign onto Nuance once they took over the transcription of their hospital. No option for UE or severance! After working for Nuance see how much their pay drops. Pretty disgusting, actually. We have all experienced it, but gradually for us, bit by bit, but these poor ladies got a huge dose all at once and went from making good money and good benefits to minimum wage. ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

STRIKE
Nov 05, 2009

After 20 plus years in this field and now having to work 15 hour days to make a decent day's pay, I do not know about you, but I am fed up.  There is not a company out there that does in fact "value" our services.  If we can get 8/line we consider ourselves lucky.  I have seen the rates go down and believe that is due to the fact most companies outsource to other countries - whether they admit it or not - and was in fact told by a recent recruiter not to expect more than 8 ce ...

STRIKE!!!!! WE ALL NEED TO STRIKE
Nov 21, 2009

Go back to school - the economy is so rough on experienced MTs and we all need to band together and strike for three days just like people do with the gas prices.  Let them see how really important we are instead of paying us wages like a beginner transcriptionist. ...

STRIKE THREE
Jul 30, 2010

I have been on 100% QA for 3 MONTHS now.  Been working slower, taking my lumps, reading each (of my 300) client profiles, "thanking" my CCM and QA for their feedback, no no avail.  I can't live with this pay MQ gives.  I cannot make a decent check at 4cpl on 100% ASR.  I talked to my CCM, but really???  "There's nothing I can do until you're off QA, I understand how hard it is, I don't think it's right either..."   This cannot be LEG ...

What If We Went On Strike For A Day?
May 12, 2011

Really I am just being silly, but think about it!  What if we all just quit typing for one day?  What if the day we just don't type falls on an Indian Holiday?  HeHeHe then they would be screwed!  That's how I feel right now with the short changing I keep getting.  I am on a 95% ASR account with the world's worst dictators.  Oh well, just a thought.  I just thought I would share this after going over my line count and what I made today so far. *e ...

You All Need To Get Together And Strike.
Aug 16, 2013

You need to wake up the industry.  You all need to strike.  Need to pick a few days to not work at the same time.  You all need to call in sick.  You say you need your job??  I guarentee you this company is LAYING OFF MTs EVERYDAY!  There are some days which are in the hundred range.  You need to stand up and do something or you will soon GET THE CALL stating you are such a good employee, but......  we unfortunately have to let you go.  At least you ...

Going On A Strike....sm
Dec 04, 2014

We should all go on strike until they fix this pay plan or give us our old pay and leave it alone. Thousands of MLS on strike would have an impact. Even hundreds might. It's the only way to get heard or our point across. We are the "bottom feeders" but we are the ones doing all the hard work, have the schooling for it and produce in order for the higher guys to get their lovely bonuses and big checks. We make them money. We are the company basically. If so many are outraged then we need to ...

You Need To Strike Like Others Are Doing Today.
Jul 29, 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/?test=latestnews   The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.  "A lot of ...

Strike In India, ILP's Asking Us To Help. I Say Let Them Sink. Nm
Dec 08, 2009

. ...

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

I Am Curious How Many Actually Did Strike Yesterday
May 02, 2012

I know it is not just the MTs, but I went to WM yesterday (yes I do hate WM, but no choice here in the middle of nowhere) and it was packed!!  Everyone was going about their normal daily routine it looked like. ...

MM India Strike, Anyone's Thoughts? :)
May 31, 2012

x ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Patient Has Colicky Abdominal Pain. Doc Tried To Ellcit S/l Heel Strike Sign? Help!
Apr 03, 2012

.. ...

Any TTS Workers Who...
Feb 23, 2013

work on the account that starts with a B and has 6 letters?  Could you please email me your yahoo messenger ID so we can keep in touch in case I have questions as I have seen the efficiency in which "the team" gets back to me.  I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks. ...

Pay For The Indian MTs
Dec 01, 2011

There was a question about MTs pay in India. It is generally dependent on the line count and quality. Direct upload MT transcribing 800 lines per day - Rs. 1.2 (nearly 3 cents)  - 22 working days - Rs. 21,120 (around $600  per month) - greater than 98% accuracy (supposed to be) Only professionals like engineers, doctors, some software guys, etc. get more salary than this. Things are a little different in CBay (Medquist) India.  Irrespective of experience, the MT ...

Indian Vs US QA On ASR
Feb 05, 2012

I just saw a post from last month wondering about what the accuracy level is that Indian MTs have to maintain. On Editscript, expected accuracy is 99% and tolerated accuracy is 98.5%. If your job is marked by QA  as below 98% accuracy, you do not get paid for that job.  Critical/grave/major/minor errors are all assessed per job and factor into accuracy calculations. If you have more than 5 major errors per 2000 lines, you lose the right to work on an account.  Most Indian MTs prod ...

Indian MTs
Jul 03, 2012

Would someone please explain to me exactly why there are so many people in India that can to American transcription? How in the heck are they so proficient in the English language? Heck, 99% of Indian doctors I get couldn't speak a grammatically correct sentence if their life depended on it. I'm not kidding, I would really like to know. ...

Indian QCs
Sep 25, 2012

Does anyone have problems with Indian QCs (scores are good with US QCs), such as thinking that they may be deliberately marking errors where none existed originally?  I've tried to copy my reports to check against them when I get Indian QC feedback, but the platform won't allow it.  How does anyone else handle this?? TIA ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...