A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I was just over at several forums for nurses and they are having trouble getting jobs - These Are Definitely Tough Times!

Posted: Oct 30, 2011

One new nurse was told that her skills are stale and she needs to go through a "refresher" course, which costs $2,000 before she will be able to get a job.

Another one has been looking for work for 6 months with no luck.

I went over there to see if people in other kinds of work eat their young as MTs sometimes do. I thought maybe everyone else was happy and enjoying successful careers. Apparently not.

These are tough times. I think sometimes we generalize so much that we depress each other. Not everyone is doing awful. Some are doing well in this very bad economy. No careers are doing very well though. These are definitely tough times.

I checked out respiratory therapy forums - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That one was strange. At first I thought they were all happy and content. When I kept looking, I found that they were "getting out" for various reasons. One main reason apparently is that they get no respect. They are referred to as, "Hey, Respiratory!" or "Hey, Breathing Guy!" rather than respectfully by their names. That would be a put-down. They have not found paradise either evidently.

If I can make good living being Respiratory Guy, I will be RG. - Better than respected MT who is poor.nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I checked out medical assistant forums and they are - In Another Reality

[ In Reply To ..]
They had a lot of threads where they sounded like they had just been to one of those sales conventions. Very hyper and cheerleaderish. Then others were mad. I'll paraphrase here, "We have to get the message out that we know as much as RNs and LPNs and can do anything they can do, so we want to make as much money as they make." ---Excuse me, but Medical Assistants do not have the same skills as an RN. I remember talking to a medical assistant once who said she had the same skills the doctor had and could do anything the doctor could do. What are their schools teaching them? They are definitely in another reality. It's not working for them, but they truly believe what they are saying, which is sad.

I suspect some of them are quietly doing their jobs and not making crazy comments - Hopefully

[ In Reply To ..]
Surely not all of them have the vaulted opinions. I suspect many of them are just quietly doing their jobs and not making crazy comments. I went to a workshop once and a Medical Assistant had been asked to speak about her new career. She did say that she was able to do the same work the doctor does. That is crazy talk.

I've heard MTs say that, too - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
that they have as much knowledge as a doctor. I'm sorry, but just because you are an MT or an MA and you can guess what the diagnosis is based on the commonly presenting symptoms, no, that doesn't mean you know as much as a nurse or a doctor.

It probably is just a frustration thing for them - feeling like they don't get the respect or compensation consistent with the knowledge and skills they do have.
Good point! I've heard the same thing. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I cringe every time I see a report where the MT has taken on the role of writing the report for the doctor. This has lost more accounts for MTSOs than just about anything else. It's high on the list anyway. "I knew that the doctor really meant to say..., so I fixed it."

Similar Messages:

Anybody Else Having Trouble With Jobs Loading?
Jul 04, 2012

Jobs loading slowly, only getting 1 job at a time. Getting NJA briefly when there are plenty of jobs in my BOB, then 1 job will pop up.  ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble Getting Into Other Sites That The Jobs Available Do
Jan 27, 2014

not come up and says you can access the server. ...

Have Any Of You MTs Been Nurses Or Going Into Nursing?
Aug 14, 2011

I started taking the nursing program at my local college 10 years ago and loved it, but dropped out after a year to get married, bad decision!  So, just looking to see if anyone here has been a nurse or is going into nursing and what they like/dislike about their jobs.  I am also looking into the RN program in the future.  ...

What About Immigrant Doctors And Nurses?
Aug 11, 2010

Some people are in US are worried about offshoring medical transcription job to other countries like India as their medical records would be misused or it is under wrong hands.  Then what about immigrant doctors and nurses working in USA?  There are lacs of doctors from different nations immigrated to US and also nurses.  What about the safety of medical records on those doctors and nurses' hands?  How you will ensure safety of medical records in such a situation.  ...

Nurse's Or Nurses' Notes Which Is Correct?
Feb 17, 2014

Is it always correct to use nurses' notes in dictation?  My reasoning is that it is yes because there could be more than one nurse charting on the case.   ...

I Suppose This Means Training On EMR For Doctors, Nurses, PAs Etc...
Feb 12, 2010

Obama Administration to Announce  $975 Million in Health Grants  Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration today will announce $975 million in government grants to expand the use of technology in the health-care industry and train medical professionals to use new systems. The spending, part of the $862 billion economic stimulus legislation passed a year ago, will expand technology use at more than 100,000 hospitals, according to an administration official speaking on the c ...

Another Day On The Forums
Jun 13, 2012

Someone will say she has no work and/or is only earning minimum wage.  Someone else will come in and claim to be making tons of money, tons! straight typing all day long, plenty of work.  The thread will turn ugly and get nuked.  Let's go! ...

Are The Forums Down
Aug 16, 2013

My friend on the east coast too can't access any of the forums. ...

MTSOs Using What You Say On Forums Like This Against You
Jun 15, 2010

I'm not an MTSO, never was, and never would be if I could help it. In one of the threads below someone mentioned that some larger MTSOs hold it against someone if they post something on a forum like this. I put myself in the position of the MTSO for a moment. What would I do if someone contacted me and told me that one of the MTs that was working for me was trashing me on a public forum. I would go look at it. If I knew who they were, I wouldn't send them any additional work. It wouldn ...

Forums Question
Jul 09, 2013

It used to be, when I read notes on the forum, the subject line would turn a different color after I read them. That's not happening anymore, and I'm having trouble remembering what I read and what I didn't. ...

Other Coding Forums
Dec 26, 2013

Glad tidings to all!  Does anyone know of any other forums with info and insights on coding?  Not looking for AAPC or AHIMA forums, but other chat/group forums.  ...

I Wish There Was A Like/dislike Button On These Forums! Nm
Apr 01, 2011

. ...

Are Posts On MT School Forums All Legitimate?
May 06, 2010

This might be a foolish question, but are all the posts on MT school forums for real?  I won't mention the school, but it seems that after several complaints about MT work, there's a sudden rush of "look how much money I'm making" posts.  Seems a little too good to be true.  Are there really people out there pulling in some good funds, or is this more like advertising for the school/MT industry? ...

Text On Forums Showing Up Weak
Feb 12, 2015

Does anyone know why when I'm typing in the message field here, the font is coming out rather light and choppy? Example: Part of the "f" letter is missing. (All the letters have an issue.) This happens on my computer as well as another computer in my household--so it's not something with just my computer. The Subject field, Nickname/Alias field and E-mail field type out fine. The final product after physically submitting is showing up fine. ...

The Problem I Have Been Reading About On Blogs And Forums
Apr 14, 2015

I have noticed a trend in people who studied outpatient coding and realized it wasn't enough. It's not easy to find training in just inpatient, so those people appear to be stuck. They had the outpatient training, but aren't finding jobs as easily as if they had both outpatient and inpatient.  ...

Any Other VLC Students Having Problems With Accessing Grades,forums Etc.
Dec 23, 2009

Haven't got any feedback from instructors in weeks and any emails to them are returned with "permanent fatal errors". Found 2 other students with the same problem as of today. Would like to know if there are any others. If anyone is affiliated with the VLC school on here I would greatly appreciate some answers. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm nearing the end of the course and have invested $1500.oo and almost 2 years of my time. To wind up with nothing to show for it at ...

"so MRI Was Cancelled Due To The NURSES STRIKE" HELLO.....that's What We Need.
Apr 30, 2012

I'm sick of working my butt off for crap wages.  Why can't we strike?  Because we work AT HOME.  We can't group up and stick up for ourselves.  I, for one, has had it.  I have 30 years experience.  I've watched my salary sink lower each year.  If it wasn't for my husband's income, we'd be on the streets right now.  I have 2 more hours on my shift but guess what - SCREW IT.  I'm done for the night.  What am ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With
Feb 15, 2010

I can't even get it to open.  ...

DS Trouble
Feb 22, 2010

My laptop crashed today and is now in the shop.  I am trying to use our home desktop but can't get the files to completely download.  I called customer service, but since I am using our home computer, they won't help, only told me to make sure that any firewalls are turned off before installing DS.  Has anyone had this trouble before that can help?  I have uninstalled DS and reinstalled it several times, restarted the computer, turned off any firewalls I can find, t ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With DQS?
Apr 19, 2010

All of the sudden, it is hung on the download screen.  The box popped up saying "downloading job #xxxxxxxx.  Getting job details." And then the log out button is below that. It has been like that for 10 minutes.  I logged out and logged back in.  The same job came back as a reserved job, and it is hung again, doing the same thing. I checked DEP now, but the light is green.  Just wondering if anyone else is having issues.  Guess I'll have to contact suppo ...

Is Anybody Having Trouble With Using
Jun 23, 2010

Explorer 8 on Medquist computer? They sent me a new computer because the fan went out in the old one and the new one had Explorer 8 on it. Now anything internet-based such as DocQmanage (client profiles, etc.) the text has letters that are different colors, making it very hard to read, and tech support cannot figure out how to fix it. It seems to be related to Explorer 8 because I did not have this problem with Explorer 6 and everything else such as DocQscribe, PDF files, and word files are all ...

Trouble With DQS?
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone else having trouble with DQS this morning? I had trouble logging on, would get stuck loading a job then take the job away, say no jobs available, etc. Then it worked for a while, now doing the same thing. Tried to call support, busy. Was just wondering if it was just me! ...

You Know You're In Trouble When ...
Sep 08, 2010

At the very beginning of the dictation with a doc who is already pretty speedy you hear him say to someone in the background "I'll be done in 30 seconds." Oy!!!! ...

Anyone Else Still Having Trouble With
Sep 29, 2010

I just called and got my password cleared, so now I can get into MedCentral, but when I go to my mail it says missing or unrecognized user name or password for the specified server.  What the ****.  Don't tell me I have to call support and sit on hold again!!  Please, does anybody know how to fix this?   ...

Trouble Getting PTO For NJA!
Oct 09, 2010

Is anyone having a problem getting paid when there are NJA?  I must be missing a step because my requests are being ignored!! ...

Anyone Having This Trouble?
Oct 10, 2010

For the last several days Google has been running very slow.  It is even taking a long time for my typing to show up in the search box.  It works fine on my home computer but not on my work machine.  Any ideas?  It was fine until a few days ago. Thanks for any help you can give me. ...

ANYONE HAVE TROUBLE WITH DIT?
Oct 30, 2010

HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WORKING FOR DIT?  FOR INSTANCE NOT GETTING PAID? ...