A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! .. - Dotts

Posted: Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is to proclaim "a national MT strike day" and see how that plays out!  Of course, at-home MTs are paid so little to begin with, who could afford taking a strike day?  At the very least, they couldn't FIRE ALL OF US for going on strike if we were a large enough group!  Pretty sad state of affairs when I have to come up with a suggestion like this.  At the very least, we may just MAKE THE NATIONAL NEWS!

sorry to say, but - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
MTs have been talking about this for 15+ years. Striking and unions.

I don't see it ever happening in my lifetime. Hopefully, it will in the next ... but I seriously doubt it.

MTs strike - Ozzie

[ In Reply To ..]
You know that won't fly, no way. Everything has been hashed over and over, about unionizing, striking, etc. The bottom line is, even if we all quit, these companies will just go on and let India do the work and this will only support them in their efforts to run us all off. I really don't know why they hire American MTs at all any more. They can justify to their clients, there aren't any American MTs to do the work and spin that into whatever they like. Eventually if the client gets fed up with poor quality, they will do it themselves or get scribes for next to nothing. We are getting the shaft in more ways than one. I am still working as an MT, but I am an IC. I tried and tried to get a part time employee position and either the companies and work were so horrible I couldn't stand it or they just aren't hiring PT employees. I have checked various companies that supposedly do hire PT MTs as an employee, but they aren't hiring. So when this job goes, so do I. I am going out of town in March and when I get back, I need to start seriously considering/looking for something else. It really pains me, because I love the account I do. All American docs, no voice, no horrible QA, etc. It is not like M*M, Nuance, etc. I doubt if the owner even knows about the "Book of Style" which is a crock to say the least. Actually I would not strike against my job, as I like it, just not quite enough work at times and I don't like being an IC, other than the flexibility, so it is always something I guess.

I feel I am going to do this for as long as I can and when it goes I am done. For those MTs who work for the big companies and take all that abuse and low pay, it is up to them to make a change for themselves and hopefully find something better and at this point anything would be better. They want everything from us, and give so little in return. I cringe when I read these posts about having to get a license or whatever it is, they are asking MTs to do and how much it costs. One company was reported as charging monthly for their software! OMG, where's the door!

RE: Strike - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
Ozzie - I totally agree with everything you say. The problem is that for decades these transcription companies have been simply "railroading" us. Yes, let them go India or to Mars for that matter for MTs who probably are paid 2 cents a line and they will "get what they pay for." Me too, "where's the door!"

Strike - Me again, Ozzie

[ In Reply To ..]
I think what is the saddest thing of all, is that most MTs really like their job or at least they like transcribing. I used to work at a hospital and loved it; I loved OP notes, cardiology, consults, just about everything and it was a GOOD job. I made good money, had benefits, my kids were small and I worked evenings, etc. Then in 1995, we were outsourced to Edix and it has been downhill since.

Yes, we have been railroaded, given the shaft, screwed over, etc, whatever adjective you can think of, except a positive one and to make matters worse, they treat MTs like dirt. These companies are so horrible and cruel, you would think we were back 200 years with slaves and I think they were regarded more than we are.

Sometimes, you just have to let go and move on and like I said, this is my last MT job, even though I like it, but I will wait until she tells me. Even if find something else, I can still work for her as my hours are my own and since we are never out of TAT, I can work just a couple of hours a day if I want.

I will miss it though when it is gone. I wish I could go back inhouse or in a clinic, rather than this though, but I know that isn't going to happen either. We have become obsolete in our own time, just like so many others from the "boomer" generation. We are yesterday's news!

Someone had a tee shirt on that said, inside every old person is a young person, saying what the h-ll happened? So true.
I have that T-shirt! And it is true. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:)
I remember that T-shirt - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
STRESS: When one's mind overrides the body's basic need to choke the living s*** out of some ***hole who desperately needs it.

I used to wear it when I went to visit the in-laws.

No, the problem is that you continue to work for them. - Find something else.

[ In Reply To ..]
I got out and now make a decent income in a very good, well-espected career field. You can, too.
Problem - Getting out of MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I hear that and congratulate you for making a move and an upward one at that. I have hung around too long, but I am now retired on social security and just want something part time. I do feel the majority of MTs now are older, just from reading some of these posts; 20 to 35 years experience; that has to say something. Fortunately for me, I am active and healthy, so am not afraid to go outside and look for a job, BUT trying finding one at 68, almost 69 in today's world. I am considering companion work as I have sent in a bunch of resume's and I know when they figure out my age or thereabouts, I am tossed in the wastebasket. I am looking though and hopefully something will pop up. I want to work actually. First my SS is not going to sustain me and I do enjoy working. I don't have enough money to retire in comfort or able to travel the world, so I have my activities and hopefully a job. For those of you that can work outside the home and are able, regardless of age, take heed and get out. This is only going to get worse, if that could even be possible. I envision us paying these terrible companies to work for them and some are almost there; asking for licenses and paying for their software! No Way!

if I might make a suggestion - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Look for data entry clerk jobs which require a medical terminology background. I did that as a temp for about 6 months. The pay was about $12.50 per hour, and I was helping people with no medical knowledge to decipher the handwritings.

Fired - Go for it

[ In Reply To ..]
You can get fired for not showing up for work. It will not matter if there are 5 or 500 of you, if you don't want to work they will find someone who does. What company are you striking against? I don't know where you got the idea that MTSOs were money making machines. Sure, the corporations like Nuance do well, but they undercut the smaller companies who are forced to compete. The loss of one account for a smaller vendor can be make or break. Those companies also have expenses and have to hire IT and other support staff, it is not all about you. I work on site and have no intention of going on strike, I think many at home feel the same. My advice to you would be that it is probably easier to quit than it is to strike. You can't change what is happening with technology and unfortunately it is too late to change the offshore labor situation.

The flaw in that plan - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem with rabble-rousing for a strike and congressional complaints is that it is all purposeless, dysfunctional behavior. Sure the pay has dropped and working conditions have worsened, but that is mostly due to technological change. You cannot roll back the clock to the days when people who could use a "word processor" were scarce and paid accordingly. Nor can you go back to the days when your recognition of medical words was scarce and valued. Today, computer software does both.

MTSOs are not making a killing. They have more people to pay than just you. They also have to fund the development of technology to replace you.

Technology is eliminating your job. Focusing your energy and attention on trying to prevent that is dysfunctional. Recommending that others do so is not in their best interests.

Instead of that, you really ought to be getting some education and finding a better type of work. Everything changes. You need to change with it.

Similar Messages:

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST WEEK
Feb 21, 2011

National Medical Transcriptionist Week is May 16 - 22 What are you doing to celebrate it?  I'm looking for some creative ways for our work group to celebrate. ...

Anybody Have Experience With National Medical Transcription Company?
Oct 07, 2010

I received a job interview for an IC position with a company called National Medical Transcription with headquarters in New York.  Has anybody worked with this company? My main concern was that the company does not offer direct deposit but rather issues a check via mail.  Next concern is a "transparent" means of tallying up productivity for 65 character lines and spaces included. I would appreciate any feedback from present or past contractors. Thank you. ...

From Medical Transcriptionist To Medical Coordinator
May 19, 2011

Where can I get information about transitioning from a medical transcriptionist to a medical coordinator? ...

New Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 16, 2013

I am trying to find a good training program.  I have looked into career step and then a local training program at a technical program here in Denver.  The Denver program has an internship as part of the course but is not ahdi approved.  It is a 17 month program and looks thorough but I don't know how big the ahdi approval is.  I've heard that career step helps graduates get a job.  Any advice for me on this?  Thanks. ...

Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 11, 2015

I researched on Indeed Jobs. At Parkland Hospital the requirement to work as a Medical Transcriptionist is to have a certificate in medical transcription or at least one year of medical typing experience. You must be able to type at least 40-59 words per minute with a minimum of three errors. You must be able to operate a dictaphone. You must have medical terminology knowledge and be able to pass a spelling test with a score of 80%. I would prefer to start my career in a hospital setting so that ...

How To Be A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 27, 2015

I am currently studying to be a medical coder / biller. It is a long study time and tough too, but I love it. But just curious, how do we become a Medical Transcriptionist? Now that I know some medical terms and good at the computer. Maybe I can do this job as well. I have a friend who is medical transcriptionist but seem to be secretive about this career. How do we become one? I hope it does not need a long degree or diploma, or something like that. I appreicate any information. Thanks ...

Canadian Medical Transcriptionist
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please explain to me why Canada is considered OFFSHORE?  We have the same extremely strict confidentiality and medical data security laws and, in fact, tougher standards in the definitions with Independent Contractor versus employee status.  Why is Canada considered offshore?  It's not nearly like sending something to India or Pakistan where you don't know who is working on the dictation or what the ulterior purpose is.  Why can't the two countries just get along? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Resume Help
Aug 30, 2010

I would really appreciate any help you are willing to give me.   I have not been having much luck finding a job and am getting desperate.  I am wondering if my Resume may be putting me at the bottom instead of at the top of the contact list.   I have over 30 years of experience and my resume contains the names of 15 companies that I have worked for (I sometimes had 2 or 3 jobs at one time, but I include everyone because some were Acute Care and others were Clinic Specialties).  I am ...

2008 Medical Transcriptionist
Nov 09, 2010

I am a 2008 graduate in medical transcriptionist. I have not been able to get a job. I would like to work from home. I am considering taking an exam to become a CMT or RMT. Can anyone direct me to where I can find my first job. I am really getting aggravated. ...

Medical Transcriptionist Week - WMX
May 14, 2011

Just wondering if anyone from WMX is betting on a token gift for MT week.  Last year we got the Pharmaceutical Word Book to install on our (their) computers.  Did appreciate that.  The year before we got nice BBQ aprons with their logo on it.  This year we got yet another reduction in our ISR wages.  Hoping that was not supposed to be our gift.  I know they don't have to give us anything and expect we might get a general company-wide E-mail telling us how REMA ...

Medical Transcriptionist - Taxes?
Jul 09, 2012

I'm looking for information about what to do if you get a part-time job where you are not an employee, but make over $600 for the year, but they do NOT provide a 1099.  This is a case of a man who is looking for my help in providing his transportation to medical appointments.  He seemed clueless when I asked him about these options.  Then, I was thinking.  Well, when a contractor came to my home and installed a fence, I paid over $600, but did not provide him with a 1099.  Is there som ...

USA MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST. WHY ALL THE DISLIKES?
Aug 20, 2012

I was thinking of applying since I'm looking for a day shift, but I saw 10 dislikes.  Any info? ...

Possibly Medical Transcriptionist
Jan 15, 2013

I'm looking into doing online training to be a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering how much money you make once you get out of school, is it worth it? How much an hour? Also, is it easy to find a job? I really would like to work from home because I have a 5 month old daughter.     Thanks! ...

25+ Years Medical Transcriptionist Considering
Apr 29, 2013

Hello:  I am 58 years old and have been doing medical transcription for 25+ years.  The group I transcribe for online is transitioning over to total EMR, thus will be leaving me without a job in the not too distant future.  I don't do Acute care, so there are next to no opportunities for other transcription jobs.  There are no jobs to be had in my very, very small town (including the 25-bed hospital) so I'm considering going with online classes for training and cert ...

Medical Transcriptionist Week
May 24, 2013

My how far the profession has fallen One can either hate or love technology.  It brings both good and bad.  Ron Reagan proclaims glorious MT Week in 1985 and makes it sound like a truly valued function in our society.  Fast forward to the beginning of the millennium and share your story on how glorious the profession has become Does your company provide health insurance?  Yes, no, maybe?  If so, can you afford your share of the premium that is deducted from your paych ...

Medical Transcriptionist Salary
Nov 12, 2014

I am not trying to sound discouraging, but when do I get this supposed 34,020 salary that it says on BLS website MTs are suppose to make. I graduated from my training in 2009 and have worked for 2 companies, niether of which has offered me anything close to that, and where do they get the $16.34 per hour figure from anyway? ...

Health Insurance For Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $ ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Medical Transcriptionist Who Wants To Work From Home
Jan 21, 2010

Hi! For a medical transcriptionist who wants to work from home, is the cost very expensive to have the company install their software in my Pc, and is the overhead expensive each month, such as telephone, internet, and electricity?  ...

Medical Transcriptionist Entry Level
Mar 29, 2010

Yes, current graduate of Stratford Career Institute with a diploma in Medical Transcriptionist, having a hard time finding entry level work--any suggestions..?????I am a Certified Medical Technologist as well..I need part time work at home for now.. ...

Medical Transcriptionist Updating Resume ...
Apr 11, 2011

I am updating my resume, and I am wondering if I should include Acute Care experience. I do multi-specialty clinic work and H&Ps, Discharge Summaries, Consults, etc. for various Veteran's Administration hospitals and clinics. I would like to say I do Acute Care on my resume to beef it up, but because it is for the Veteran's Administration, the Acute Care reports are usually for things typically related to older patients.  No trauma-related stuff, only minor surgical procedures. ...

Difference Between, Medical Transcriptionist Or Transcriptionist I, II
Mar 31, 2011

Does anyone knows the difference between, Medical Transcriptionist or Transcriptionist I, II, and III for job title? Also, Is it really only experieced can get a job? Thank you. ...

Can You Relate? My Experience As A Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 19, 2011

I've been an MT for 12 years.  I started out with MedQuist as a subcontractor.  Life was great!  Then came employee status and being performance managed, VS, crappy software, overworked supervisors and nit picking about being literally 10 minutes late for work or getting heavy points taken off my quality score for typing "were" instead of "was."  I went to Focus, which was then taken over by Nuance, and the same experience as above started happening.  So I went ...

Advantages/disadvantages To Having An EIN As A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 24, 2014

What are the advantages/disadvantages to having an EIN as an MT?  I have been an MT for over 14 years and have been asked by a company to do some work for them, but they require I have an EIN, which I have never had to have. ...

Jury Duty Pay For A Medical Transcriptionist
Apr 08, 2015

Does anyone know off hand if MModal pays for jury duty for part-time employees? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Unite For A Pay Raise
May 21, 2015

It's time for the medical transcription community to come together to insist on better pay. As the fast-food industry employees have joined together in protest for better pay, it is now the medical transcriptionist time to do the same. It time for the medical transcriptionists in America to unite and stand together as one, just as other underpaid employees of other companies are doing, such as McDonald's and Wal Mart. If our services are so valuable, then we deserve better pay. ...

We Need To Establish A National "Check Your Medical Records" Day
Jan 03, 2010

Think about it; there are national days for Everything. If patients were made aware of their ability and need to check and verify their medical information, may the problems of ILPs and ASR (and EMR) would become noteworthy outside our little MT community. I wonder how we could start it.  Maybe you need to petition Congress or something. Heck, if there is a national day to check the 9-volt battery in your smoke detector, a national day set aside to verify the accuracy of your medical inf ...

Health Insurance For Self-employed Medical Transcriptionist
Feb 18, 2011

My husband is 6 years old than I am and retiring and starting Medicare in couple months.  I have always been on his insurance.  Anyone have any good leads to health insurance for us self-employed types.  Thanks. ...

A Medical Transcriptionist Of 10 Years Lost Her Job Today
May 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I just want to vent and tell you what happened to me today.  I lost my job today because I got a 97.9 on my quality review, which was done on my work in about 3 years. I was working as an independent contractor and I was told that I was being terminated and when I asked if I could be put on another account, they said they were not hiring employees just independent contractors, no employees. I am so upset. I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years this ...

Has Anyone Heard Of An Ebook The Successful Medical Transcriptionist?
Apr 23, 2012

I am a potential MT, and I was researching this field and came across an ebook called The Successful Medical Transcriptionist. It's by a lady named Shelley Wipper, she claims to have been an MT for 12 years and made a successful living doing it, and the book is supposed to give Step-by-Step insight in how to succeed in the industry. I just wanted to know if anyone the industry has in fact heard of her and her $50 ebook, or is her website thesuccessfulmedicaltranscriptionist.com just a scam. ...