A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

You need to strike like others are doing today. - Tired of working for poverty.

Posted: Jul 29, 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/?test=latestnews

The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.

"A lot of the workers are living in poverty, you know, not being able to afford to put food on the table or take the train to work."

The workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/?test=latestnews#ixzz2aRpNuNOn

they are crazy - will never see $15 an hour

[ In Reply To ..]
it will just make the cost of everything else go up. only the truly ignorant want minimum wage to increase.

So I am ingnorant? Because my pay went down - to minimum wage??

[ In Reply To ..]
And I would like for it go higher? How come the higher ups have no problem making their money and seeing huge increases in their pay??

I had to talk to IT the other day. - poverty wages

[ In Reply To ..]
IT department in Franklin are making money big time, 4 times the amount MTs are making in pay. He said MM has to pay him good or he would leave and do something else. He even works from home remotely. MM pays their employees pretty well. Most of the managers at MM do not even have a college degree or any MT experience and yet they are the boss telling us we need to work more and make more for the company. It is just the MTs who are willing to make poverty wages and put up with crap.

why would you settle for minimum wage? - just dont understand it.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm working for the same company you are and making lots more than minimum wage. It's like we aren't working for the same company.
My state is the highest for minimum wage. - Moved to another account
[ In Reply To ..]
New account SUCKS! Benefit rate went down $4.85 because of this account. Not many like you MAKE THE MONEY as you say.
You must have good accounts. Trade accounts with me for a month. - will you still earn more than minimum
[ In Reply To ..]
According to past Hands On meeting, average lph is 186, and this ends up being minimum wage.

With the increased output of text not dictated and paucity of punctuation, editing is now taking more time and effort. I had a document in which, every time the the doctor said Oklahoma, the output was Oklahoma City.

Another question is how many job do you get with standards just needing a couple fill in the a few parameters. Or, are you actually getting straight typing job?
I have straight typing, 9 cpl - more than minimum
[ In Reply To ..]
x
you are in for a rude awakening - once you get ASR
[ In Reply To ..]
Its always those not affected YET that are so happy.
Oh, no wonder you do not get it. - Good luck
[ In Reply To ..]
You must have the only account left that is straight typing. Soon, it will go to ASR. Sure, I heard the same ole story about how the hospital does not want ASR, etc., but it will happen. So be prepared for the shock when you see your paycheck when it comes to ASR.
Yep, happened to me. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Had an account that was contracted straight typing. One day it went ASR and the next week it was gone. Great account too. That was where it started to get bad for me.
Wow! You are 1 lucky duck! Wish it was me too. - nothing but ASR nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I'm transcribing in someone else's shoes today, and it's good. - still earning minimum wage
[ In Reply To ..]
Got some hours from the swap board. Someone must be on vacation.

I'm getting accounts other than my usual, and the ASR output is mostly great and there are a lot of fill-in-the blank standards! My line count is a lot higher, but it's only a tiny bit above minimum still. :( You just can't win with MM ASR.

YOU are skilled labor. Unskilled labor such as fast food - should be minimum wage, and they are crazy

[ In Reply To ..]
to expect it to be doubled. Minimum wage is a start and was NEVER intended to be a living wage. People ARE ignorant in the fact that they seem to know nothing about how an economy works and how it is destroyed. They are using Obama's speeches, taking them literally, and unknowingly hurting their own country... ridiculous !

This is exactly what needs to happen - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I like that some retail workers are getting involved also.

People are not being paid a living wage. That's wrong - not just morally, but it's bad for the economy and bad politically. It's just bad all around.

ok then get ready for gas to go to $10 a gallon and bread $6 a loaf - x

[ In Reply To ..]
The REAL solution is to put caps on CEO salaries and to have them distribute out the profits among the employees. Pay would be directly tied to company success. This would make workers personally invested in their company and happier employees. I'm sure the $15/hour taco bell employees would still lick the taco shells before filling them for you....

also will cause more work less employees. - get ready to wait in line

[ In Reply To ..]
this solves nothing.
Wait in line at McDonalds/Taco Bell. - Do not make enough to buy their food.
[ In Reply To ..]
MM board of director salary went from $150,000 a year to $250,000 a year and that was about 6 years ago. OUR PAY WENT DOWN AND DOWN. Currently the president is making Total Calculated Compensation $1,526,969. That is just the president. Here is the CIO at Total Calculated Compensation $901,587. There used to be around 5 board of directors and now there is around 20 something making a ton of money and creating all kinds of new positions like CIO for medical information position. If the $10 a gallon goes up it is NOT OUR FAULT OR BECAUSE OF US. We can fight for our pay just like these board of directors did for the past 5 years.
The answer to the problem is so simple: Pay - workers more, CEOs less.
[ In Reply To ..]
The reason things are so bad in this country, and getting worse by the day, is G-R-E-E-D.

Unlike the beliefs of the "Excessive Eighties", greed is NOT good.
Like that will ever happen - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
CEO's will ALWAYS make more than those of us in the trenches. It will never change. Can't fight it either.

yeah that's what they said when minimum wage was 4.25 - people still whining about a living wage

[ In Reply To ..]
everything will go up just like it has for the last decade. You have to change the current business model, not just force employers to pay more.

Similar Messages:

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

STRIKE
Nov 05, 2009

After 20 plus years in this field and now having to work 15 hour days to make a decent day's pay, I do not know about you, but I am fed up.  There is not a company out there that does in fact "value" our services.  If we can get 8/line we consider ourselves lucky.  I have seen the rates go down and believe that is due to the fact most companies outsource to other countries - whether they admit it or not - and was in fact told by a recent recruiter not to expect more than 8 ce ...

STRIKE!!!!! WE ALL NEED TO STRIKE
Nov 21, 2009

Go back to school - the economy is so rough on experienced MTs and we all need to band together and strike for three days just like people do with the gas prices.  Let them see how really important we are instead of paying us wages like a beginner transcriptionist. ...

STRIKE THREE
Jul 30, 2010

I have been on 100% QA for 3 MONTHS now.  Been working slower, taking my lumps, reading each (of my 300) client profiles, "thanking" my CCM and QA for their feedback, no no avail.  I can't live with this pay MQ gives.  I cannot make a decent check at 4cpl on 100% ASR.  I talked to my CCM, but really???  "There's nothing I can do until you're off QA, I understand how hard it is, I don't think it's right either..."   This cannot be LEG ...

What If We Went On Strike For A Day?
May 12, 2011

Really I am just being silly, but think about it!  What if we all just quit typing for one day?  What if the day we just don't type falls on an Indian Holiday?  HeHeHe then they would be screwed!  That's how I feel right now with the short changing I keep getting.  I am on a 95% ASR account with the world's worst dictators.  Oh well, just a thought.  I just thought I would share this after going over my line count and what I made today so far. *e ...

You All Need To Get Together And Strike.
Aug 16, 2013

You need to wake up the industry.  You all need to strike.  Need to pick a few days to not work at the same time.  You all need to call in sick.  You say you need your job??  I guarentee you this company is LAYING OFF MTs EVERYDAY!  There are some days which are in the hundred range.  You need to stand up and do something or you will soon GET THE CALL stating you are such a good employee, but......  we unfortunately have to let you go.  At least you ...

Going On A Strike....sm
Dec 04, 2014

We should all go on strike until they fix this pay plan or give us our old pay and leave it alone. Thousands of MLS on strike would have an impact. Even hundreds might. It's the only way to get heard or our point across. We are the "bottom feeders" but we are the ones doing all the hard work, have the schooling for it and produce in order for the higher guys to get their lovely bonuses and big checks. We make them money. We are the company basically. If so many are outraged then we need to ...

Strike In India, ILP's Asking Us To Help. I Say Let Them Sink. Nm
Dec 08, 2009

. ...

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

I Am Curious How Many Actually Did Strike Yesterday
May 02, 2012

I know it is not just the MTs, but I went to WM yesterday (yes I do hate WM, but no choice here in the middle of nowhere) and it was packed!!  Everyone was going about their normal daily routine it looked like. ...

MM India Strike, Anyone's Thoughts? :)
May 31, 2012

x ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Indian Workers On 24-hour Strike To Protest
Feb 28, 2012

Inflation (according to Reuters). Think we'll get more work? Sure hope this kind of thing catches on over there!  (take that, Kumar!). ...

Patient Has Colicky Abdominal Pain. Doc Tried To Ellcit S/l Heel Strike Sign? Help!
Apr 03, 2012

.. ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

"so MRI Was Cancelled Due To The NURSES STRIKE" HELLO.....that's What We Need.
Apr 30, 2012

I'm sick of working my butt off for crap wages.  Why can't we strike?  Because we work AT HOME.  We can't group up and stick up for ourselves.  I, for one, has had it.  I have 30 years experience.  I've watched my salary sink lower each year.  If it wasn't for my husband's income, we'd be on the streets right now.  I have 2 more hours on my shift but guess what - SCREW IT.  I'm done for the night.  What am ...

Wonder, Did Anyone "strike" At Nuance Yesterday?
May 02, 2012

nm ...

Is Anyone Else Getting Less ASR Today?
Feb 03, 2010

My work is normally about 97% ASR, today I have only had 1 ASR job.  I'm not complaining, quite the opposite actually.  I'm just curious if anyone else is getting less ASR work today.  I was hoping it was down and we can expect a day or two of straight typing. ...

Anyone Else Down Today?
Apr 29, 2010

Unable to log on because DQS needs to be updated.  Then can't update on DocuManage because there's no link.  They tell me they someone will call back and help me, but they have no way of knowing when.  This would definitely qualify for technical downtime, am I right?  Anyone else having this issue today? ...

What Is Up With DQS Today?
May 23, 2010

DQS is driving me crazy today.  When I push the pedal, it takes a couple seconds to start playing.  If I let off the pedal, it keeps going for a couple seconds and I can't get it to stop.  The typing I am doing does not keep up with my finger speed either, with words not showing up until after I've typed them. I use my own computer and have never encountered this issue before.  It is a major hindrance though, slowing me down. What's next? ...

Today Was My Last Day With MQ.
Jun 08, 2010

Typing that last report, signing out for the last time.....it was all very surreal.  I still can't believe I actually left.  Sad though because I wasn't offered anything PT (not that I would had taken it), and nobody said "we'll be happy to take you back".  AND....no exit interview.  Guess I thought they appreciated me more than that.  Oh well.  Some of my friends wished me well and will miss me.  Thats all I need.  ...

QA'd My First ILP Today.
Feb 02, 2011

Horrendous, absolutely horrendous.  It felt like I was editing an ASR report.  If they are all like this one, then I have no worries about losing my job to the Indians because once the clients see the garbage that is coming out of there, they will be begging for the USA.  ...

Have Gotten SO Much Done Today Already!
Feb 04, 2011

Since my shift started a little over an hour ago, I have blown out my hair, cleaned the bathroom, made a dentist appointment and paid some bills! Whew! Looking for what to do next because it sure doesn't look like I'll be doing any typing this morning.  NJA all day so far! Weeeeeee!!!!! (Sorry, just needed to try to make some humor out of it). Hope everybody has a great weekend! ...

Today Is When I Let It All Go
Jul 13, 2012

I get so fuming mad about all these things that are going on at Nuance and with our careers and livlihoods, the lies and deceitful practices of this company that came along and gobbled up all the MTSOs and made my life a nightmare. I am the type of person that wants to fight for what is right and make my voice heard. Why such a company could come in and treat the employees the way Nuance does. I fell that if I try to fight I will just get myself into major trouble. ...

The BIG Lay-off Today
Apr 04, 2013

I have not posted on this site for a long, long time because there is so much negativity on here and stuff that was posted that is simply untrue.  Not sure why anyone would stay with a company when they are so unhappy and then good people get laid off.  Today I got the call, about 3 hours into my shift. I knew something was up as my caller ID never says Medquist on it.  My TSM's voice sounded really awful and all she could say was I am sorry to call with bad news but you have ...

Is Today Pay Day?
May 17, 2013

I thought today was pay day??  No direct deposit for me.  Maybe i'm confused ...

ASR Bad Today
Jul 08, 2013

Noticing this a.m. really BAD.  Putting in a lot that is NOT said and leaving out what IS said.  As if our job isn't aggravating enough.  More typing than editing. ...