A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Have any of you MTs been nurses or going into nursing? - sm

Posted: Aug 14, 2011

I started taking the nursing program at my local college 10 years ago and loved it, but dropped out after a year to get married, bad decision!  So, just looking to see if anyone here has been a nurse or is going into nursing and what they like/dislike about their jobs.  I am also looking into the RN program in the future. 

I am an LPN to MT - Jan

[ In Reply To ..]
I left nursing due to health reasons as I basically just could no longer work on my feet everyday all day, pushing the med carts up and down halls, lifting patients and hunting them around the facility to give them their medications or do treatments for them. Administration always had a "not my problem" way of looking at everything and were never supportive or had adequate resources in place, we were always running out of supplies, linens, incontinence briefs and pads and sometimes medicine. The only time administration was in any way involved and would try to make sure we had what we needed to take care of residents (I always worked in nursing homes) was when DHEC or other surveyors were in and then there was so much more stress. The constant working short of staff and trying to do your job and help pick up the work of the person or people who didn't show up was a constant at least in my experience in all the nursing homes I worked. Once in two different facilities when the end of my shift came, no relieving nurse came in and I was stuck and had a child to pick up from daycare and a sitter. I was able to get a friend pick up my child once and the other time the babysitter kept him, but she also quit that night telling me that my work problems weren't her problems and she expected me to be there when I said I'd be. Well, she was right. But, you can't leave your residents unless another nurse comes in and counts the narcotics and accepts the keys and unit. Of course, if you have small children and good personal resources to call on, that probably would not be a problem for you. Getting stuck at work when you are already totally exhausted is pure misery.

Another thing that seemed to be much worse for me as I got older in nursing was the combativeness of the residents. Of course, I worked with the elderly and most had dementia of one type or another, they didn't always get along and were not always cooperative. I could overlook getting things thrown or spit at me, at least I had a chance of ducking that, but the physical combativeness was another thing altogether. Even though I worked in a nursing home, most of those folks were stronger than you may expect and if they were going to smack, kick or punch you, you were going to feel it. The youngest resident in a facility I worked in was 18 years old and many were middle aged and the rest elderly. The increasing and never ending paperwork is certainly a pain.

For me, and I only speak for myself, the totality of everything there was to deal with along with my increasing age and health issues I felt I needed both a lifestyle and career change. I thought MT would be a natural lateral move. However, the money does not even compare. Nursing is much better than anything I have experienced in the MT world. I don't want to paint a totally negative picture of my experience, there were some good times too and many wonderful residents during my LPN time. If you are going into nursing, please make it the RN tract, that is where the best money and all the good jobs are.

I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

I am an MT who is now an RN - RNMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a new RN and the job market is tough right now, even in nursing. I have a part-time nursing job and still do transcription part-time. I do, however, think investing the time I did in RN school was well worth it, as transcription seems to be a dying field. I earn far more money in nursing than I have in transcription over the last few years. I am now in the process of pursuing my BSN and then onto MSN. Good luck and it is well worth your time if you are dedicated to being a nurse, not just from a financial standpoint.

Similar Messages:

What About Immigrant Doctors And Nurses?
Aug 11, 2010

Some people are in US are worried about offshoring medical transcription job to other countries like India as their medical records would be misused or it is under wrong hands.  Then what about immigrant doctors and nurses working in USA?  There are lacs of doctors from different nations immigrated to US and also nurses.  What about the safety of medical records on those doctors and nurses' hands?  How you will ensure safety of medical records in such a situation.  ...

I Was Just Over At Several Forums For Nurses And They Are Having Trouble Getting Jobs
Oct 30, 2011

One new nurse was told that her skills are stale and she needs to go through a "refresher" course, which costs $2,000 before she will be able to get a job. Another one has been looking for work for 6 months with no luck. I went over there to see if people in other kinds of work eat their young as MTs sometimes do. I thought maybe everyone else was happy and enjoying successful careers. Apparently not. These are tough times. I think sometimes we generalize so much that we depress each other. N ...

Nurse's Or Nurses' Notes Which Is Correct?
Feb 17, 2014

Is it always correct to use nurses' notes in dictation?  My reasoning is that it is yes because there could be more than one nurse charting on the case.   ...

I Suppose This Means Training On EMR For Doctors, Nurses, PAs Etc...
Feb 12, 2010

Obama Administration to Announce  $975 Million in Health Grants  Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration today will announce $975 million in government grants to expand the use of technology in the health-care industry and train medical professionals to use new systems. The spending, part of the $862 billion economic stimulus legislation passed a year ago, will expand technology use at more than 100,000 hospitals, according to an administration official speaking on the c ...

Nursing
Feb 17, 2010

After reading some posts on here written by nurses, it intrigues me why a nurse would want to get into the rat's nest world of MT.  Is it the lure of a work-at-home job?  Or is there something else I'm not aware of?  I was just reading on a nursing forum where many were complaining of being called off or being required to float, having their hours permanently cut back due to critical shortages and/or low census, even having foreign nurses brought in at a lower ...

MT To Nursing
Mar 30, 2010

Any one out there going to nursing school, or at least starting with getting the prereqs out of the way, take a nurse aide job to help gain experience?  There are quite a few CNA positions at our local hospital.  Although I'm not a CNA, but working on pursuing my nursing degree, but I am considering taking a pay cut to do nurse aide work to gain the experience.  Just wondered if anyone else out there did this.  The only thing that scares me is that I've been at home ...

For Those Considering A Switch To Nursing
Jan 14, 2013

Something to consider before you invest in training.  Not saying don't do it, just be aware that you're not guaranteed a job when you graduate. http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t2 ...

To Those Posting Below About Becoming A Nursing Aide
Feb 20, 2014

What training did you take?  How long was it?  Was it expensive?  Did you find it easy to get a job after completion?    Thanks. ...

Would You Capitalize Home Health Nursing Or Not
Oct 23, 2009

? ...

LCS Meaning? Nursing Home Note
Oct 26, 2009

LCS - meaning for nursing home note.  Also, nectar liquid assist?  Am I hearing this correctly?  ...

Decision To Go Back To School For Nursing?
Mar 02, 2010

Has anyone made the decision to go back to school for nursing?  I am 45 years old and am seriously considering going to school this fall.  I would be starting from scratch as I have no college education.  I am debating on whether to pursue an associates (RN) or bachelors degree (BSN).  I am wondering if anyone else near my age is doing this and how are they faring.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  ...

S/l LORO Canyon Nursing Home
Apr 07, 2011

ss ...

Nursing School And Loan Questions
Sep 08, 2011

Anyone seriously considering this?  I am concerned about the money issue, of course.  Did anyone receive a student loan that was enough to pay for books, supplies and have a little extra left over for living?  It's been so long since DH had a student loan, I can't remember anything about that.  I would still work part-time, of course, but that wouldn't put food on the table. I just can't stay in this proffession anymore, have to do something to get out of ...

Does Anyone Think That Coding Is Possibly As Hard As Nursing? SM
Apr 18, 2012

I am 3/4 through the Andrew's coding course and it is HARD!!!  Sometimes I think I wish I went into nursing.  A 2-year degree and you can start (in my area at least) at 30 an hour.  With coding, at my local hospital, they start at 26 an hour for inpatient coders, BUT you need experience!  I feel it may take me a few years to get up to the pay rate of 26/hour, and in between I will have to go back to school to learn ICD-10 and pass even more tests. AND, by the time I am ...

Background Nursing/support Staff
Dec 19, 2012

are at a fever pitch, as usual around the holidays. I seriously don't see how patients get any rest with all of this squealing and shrieking. ...

Thinking Of Going Into Nursing, Seeking Opinions
Jan 05, 2013

I just need opinions.  Due to pay cuts left and right having to complete with India, micromanaging, increasingly having to compete with India for work even within the same MTSOs we work for, having to worry about our USA-only companies being sold to bigger ones that hire offshore workers, continually having great accounts only to be told "oh they're going to VR but you'll still be doing ALL the editing" only to lose your account a month later, etc, I'm just plain sick of this ...

Hoping To Start Nursing In 2015 At 35
Nov 20, 2014

Hoping to start a nursing program.  I am 35 and have been a medical transcriptionist since graduating from high school.  I would like to eventually obtain a Master's in nursing.  I have been planning this for a while (almost two years), but I've been really nervous, so I have kind of put things off.  I think one thing I'm nervous about is it is my first time going to college.  I was trained for medical transcription at a technical school while still in hig ...

"so MRI Was Cancelled Due To The NURSES STRIKE" HELLO.....that's What We Need.
Apr 30, 2012

I'm sick of working my butt off for crap wages.  Why can't we strike?  Because we work AT HOME.  We can't group up and stick up for ourselves.  I, for one, has had it.  I have 30 years experience.  I've watched my salary sink lower each year.  If it wasn't for my husband's income, we'd be on the streets right now.  I have 2 more hours on my shift but guess what - SCREW IT.  I'm done for the night.  What am ...

Patient Is On "hospice" At The Nursing Home....
May 14, 2010

Given the patient's "hospice" situation....would hospice be capitalized in either sentence? ...

S/l Vital Signs Per "for Far" Nursing. Rehab.
Nov 03, 2010

Clearly s/l "for far."  I thought maybe he was saying 4th floor, but doesn't sound that way at all.  Could it be some kind of specialized nursing staff for rehab? An excellent dictator - I just can't figure this bit out! ...