A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am curious how many actually did strike yesterday - sm

Posted: May 02, 2012

I know it is not just the MTs, but I went to WM yesterday (yes I do hate WM, but no choice here in the middle of nowhere) and it was packed!!  Everyone was going about their normal daily routine it looked like.

No way of knowing really, however - I wonder this

[ In Reply To ..]
I watched the local news, and checked the newspaper in 3 different regions. I saw nothing on this whatsoever. Besides, if you purchased on Monday or Wednesday what you would have purchased on Tuesday, isn't that a bottom line wash?

Of the MTs who did strike, are their jobs better today? Making more money? Reduced work on VR? Plenty of work to go around? Getting paid for all those demos, copies, and headings? Benefits have improved? More PTO? Getting paid over-time?

Or did they simply use up some of their PTO, if they had any, and took home a reduced income on their checks, which is a problem in the first place, proved their employers right in their practice of over-hiring and off-shoring, all the while, people lined up to take their jobs?

Was it mission accomplished?

My job had lots of work backlogged. I'm swamped. - (For a change!)

[ In Reply To ..]

What is - WM?

[ In Reply To ..]
BTW, you will see next to nothing of what actually happened on SD in the media that you normally watch. You will have to look elsewhere if you want to know what actually happened.

You REALLY have to search hard to find anything - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
And even if I did go through the trouble of searching for something that was not widely publicized on media that people would "normally watch," it will not tell me what happened in the MT industry I am sure. That's why I asked, is anybody's job any different?

The strike wasn't about MT - that's why there was - nothing in the media about MT.

[ In Reply To ..]
Which is... - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
why one should always ALWAYS get their information from a variety of sources. There is information about there all the time about OWS, but clearly the movement is not doing as well as people had hoped. It's sick to me that the tea party still gets more press, but maybe, just maybe that is because they have more participators?
the Tea Party is MUCH more organized - that is why they get more coverage
[ In Reply To ..]
The Tea Party has very definite goals and structure, and no, I am NOT a Tea Party supporter. OWS very deliberately did not, which is why they have been taken over by thugs and idiots, IMO.

My own personal opinion is that OWS is so disorganized and has so many different "objectives" anyone who aligns themselves with them, such as the May Day protesters/strikers is simply aligning themselves with a bunch of buffoons.
Yeah, but majority EXTREMELY DISLIKES the Tea Party. They are both full of devisive fools. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Agreed - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not a supporter of the Tea Party either. However, I do find it interesting how organized they are for something that goes against 90% of my beliefs.

At any rate, I also agree with the OWS analysis. I mean obviously the majority of MTs I know (including my supervisor who I don't think lied especially since all our accounts are fine) would love to see a change, but they are more realistic than idealistic. Good or bad it is what it is.
Don't forget they're more associated with the Far - Right, too. As is the media.
[ In Reply To ..]
What country are you in - MEDIA IS ALL ABOUT THE LEFT AND LIBERALS
[ In Reply To ..]
by their own admission.

BTW - not a tea partier, but they conducted themselves respectfully with no arrests. Try pulling up the sites SPONSORED by OWS - nothing but a bunch of misfit losers, crapping everywhere, drugs, rapes, murder, theft, assaults....it's all on your computer if you actually want any truth at all.
I guess I really dont need to look it up on my computer - because you so obviously are an EXPERT.
[ In Reply To ..]
Why do you think there was not a lot of participation? - In MT only, maybe. But nationwide, -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
there was plenty. I live in San Fran. Market st. was shut down during the morning, until the march moved on to the civic center. The ferry boats were shut down all day, as the pilots were all on strike. Some (not all) bridge tolltakers were on strike. The port of Oakland was once again shut down. Los Angeles had a huge turnout. Sacramento was smaller, but got more press in my area, for some reason. The unions were out in force, definitely a good sign, and their numbers grew the movement considerably. So, no - I think all in all, it was a good "yawn and stretch" for the movement coming back up to full steam for the summer!

WM is Wal-Mart - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
No message

If you compare the numbers that struck to the - number of people in the whole US, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
then of course it was small. TV coverage was sparse, as usual. Ustream and Livestream feeds, the only news you can depend on for the truth, were continually going down, dropping like flies. (Coincidence? I think it was a censorship attempt). Still, some feeds got through, and as usual, the numbers at the rallies and marches were very strong. I think close to 18,000 in NYC.

As for those that stayed home (I did), that number would be impossible to count, because many took a legitimate day off, or called in sick.

Censorship and a coverup? - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the laugh.

Mainstream media has been censored for decades. - Even worse when covering OWS.

[ In Reply To ..]

Probably NONE - big fat 0

[ In Reply To ..]
Even saw WMJ posting all day, so not out at the rallies like we all heard about. I bet no one did!

Just because those of us who struck may not have - been physically present at a rally - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
doesn't matter. I stayed home and studied for an upcoming test. I still have a job. I have more work than ever this morning. Did striking make any difference in the MT business? Probably not, as very few of us did it.

But then again, I didn't do this for MT. I'm already looking to get out. I did this as a citizen of the United States, as a worker, and as a taxpayer.

did anyone get called on the carpet? - slave wages

[ In Reply To ..]
anyone asked why they weren't working. By the way, the official Occupy website also said "no housework". I took them up on that part, but the only person who suffered was me, because now I'm just a day behind on it.

Not that I know of but - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
My manager and I actually know each other (first time I've had a manager in the same county, let alone within 5 miles) and she said no one called in sick out of her 227 transcriptionists she manages. NOT ONE.

Of course she is probably covering it up....nah I doubt it I think I'm probably the only one that comes here and elsewhere it's not really advertised as something most of my coworkers would be interested in pursuing.

That's nice, but the your experience is just one of many. - And youre right, supe would likely deny it.

[ In Reply To ..]
My accounts are small, and oddly, they had the most "sickies" yesterday. Now they're behind. I don't feel too sorry for them, however, as they're the lowest-paying in the company. What goes around, comes around.
I doubt it but then - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
She actually WAS a transcriptionist and hates VR, plus the fact I'm not paranoid about "suits" and stuff like that. I don't have "enemies" and see things only in rich versus poor or get reactionary and defensive with multiple names for multiple posts to bully people into thinking a "movement" is more than it is.

No carpet-calling here. No housework, either! - Im only out a days pay,$32. Worth it.

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL:

"Missing a day's pay due to strike? $32.

Money spent on gasoline? $0.

Money spent shopping? $0.

Satisfaction of at least trying to change things for the better? PRICELESS."

Okay my question is - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
From these posts it's like NO ONE took notice. So if no one that could change things took notice..how is that successful towards the end goal. I realize people plan on doing this frequently to make companies take notice, but how many days without pay can people realistically take?
If MTSO's didn't notice, I'm not surprised. There was - very sparse MT participation.
[ In Reply To ..]
But maybe the fact that those of us who DID participate were not immediately struck down by lightning for doing so, will give more MTs a little dose of intestinal fortitude next time around.
;)
Maybe so - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
Or maybe they will think it's a waste of PTO.
LOL - No more of a "waste of PTO" than doing - housework! (My day off was unpaid).
[ In Reply To ..]
Its kind of delusional to assume those of us who dont want to participate - Need a dose of "intestinal fortitude"
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because we have no interest in participating doesn't make us cowards or shrinking violets. I would think more like successful and enjoying our jobs and choosing not to co-miserate when we have no reason to do so is a more accurate description for a lot of us.

To group us all into what is apparently your misery due to job, pay, performance, personal issues, etc., is a bit narrow-minded.

We're simply not all unhappy or dissatisfied. I don't understand why WMJ and "followers" refuse to grasp that as fact.

Like all things in life, it is what we make of it. *shrug*
So, what have YOU stood up for recently that - required some risk on your part?
[ In Reply To ..]
Anything?
There is about as much chance of that as you - acquiring some common sense
[ In Reply To ..]
What comedy you people provide with your "stick it to the man, show 'em who's boss, Solidarity" crap.

There are actually those of us that get paid a GOOD income for what we do because we WORK for. We don't spend endless on hours on some board, whine all day about where's my job, complain, complain, complain endlessly. Try spending that same amount of effort and time on perfecting your skills or OMG....should I dare say it....OCCUPYING A JOB!
Probably a far bigger chance than there would be of - you acquiring a little generosity of spirit.
[ In Reply To ..]

you could have probably... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
gotten a guitar, and put out a jar, and made $32 - even if you couldn't play very well. Just think of that :)

I'm so glad to hear you participated. Good on you!!
I might not have made $32, as I can't play guitar. - LOL - maybe they would pay me to STOP!
[ In Reply To ..]
;D

Similar Messages:

Wonder, Did Anyone "strike" At Nuance Yesterday?
May 02, 2012

nm ...

STRIKE
Nov 05, 2009

After 20 plus years in this field and now having to work 15 hour days to make a decent day's pay, I do not know about you, but I am fed up.  There is not a company out there that does in fact "value" our services.  If we can get 8/line we consider ourselves lucky.  I have seen the rates go down and believe that is due to the fact most companies outsource to other countries - whether they admit it or not - and was in fact told by a recent recruiter not to expect more than 8 ce ...

STRIKE!!!!! WE ALL NEED TO STRIKE
Nov 21, 2009

Go back to school - the economy is so rough on experienced MTs and we all need to band together and strike for three days just like people do with the gas prices.  Let them see how really important we are instead of paying us wages like a beginner transcriptionist. ...

STRIKE THREE
Jul 30, 2010

I have been on 100% QA for 3 MONTHS now.  Been working slower, taking my lumps, reading each (of my 300) client profiles, "thanking" my CCM and QA for their feedback, no no avail.  I can't live with this pay MQ gives.  I cannot make a decent check at 4cpl on 100% ASR.  I talked to my CCM, but really???  "There's nothing I can do until you're off QA, I understand how hard it is, I don't think it's right either..."   This cannot be LEG ...

What If We Went On Strike For A Day?
May 12, 2011

Really I am just being silly, but think about it!  What if we all just quit typing for one day?  What if the day we just don't type falls on an Indian Holiday?  HeHeHe then they would be screwed!  That's how I feel right now with the short changing I keep getting.  I am on a 95% ASR account with the world's worst dictators.  Oh well, just a thought.  I just thought I would share this after going over my line count and what I made today so far. *e ...

You All Need To Get Together And Strike.
Aug 16, 2013

You need to wake up the industry.  You all need to strike.  Need to pick a few days to not work at the same time.  You all need to call in sick.  You say you need your job??  I guarentee you this company is LAYING OFF MTs EVERYDAY!  There are some days which are in the hundred range.  You need to stand up and do something or you will soon GET THE CALL stating you are such a good employee, but......  we unfortunately have to let you go.  At least you ...

Going On A Strike....sm
Dec 04, 2014

We should all go on strike until they fix this pay plan or give us our old pay and leave it alone. Thousands of MLS on strike would have an impact. Even hundreds might. It's the only way to get heard or our point across. We are the "bottom feeders" but we are the ones doing all the hard work, have the schooling for it and produce in order for the higher guys to get their lovely bonuses and big checks. We make them money. We are the company basically. If so many are outraged then we need to ...

You Need To Strike Like Others Are Doing Today.
Jul 29, 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/?test=latestnews   The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.  "A lot of ...

Strike In India, ILP's Asking Us To Help. I Say Let Them Sink. Nm
Dec 08, 2009

. ...

How Would You Feel About Organizing A Strike?
Apr 18, 2010

So, I know that there are a lot of issues from all sides of the MT industry and that a lot of people are unhappy.  I know that there are many happy MTs out there, but I think that those MTs may be newbies (and don't really know the difference of how it used to be to now) or are one the lucky few that work for some of the great companies out there, or possibly work in-house.  IMHO there should be NO reason to send our work out of the country, especially with delicate med ...

MM India Strike, Anyone's Thoughts? :)
May 31, 2012

x ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike. Sm
Oct 05, 2012

I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating striking even work for any of the MTSOs discussed. You have to be a union me ...

Only A Union Can Call A Strike? Really? Misinformation.
Oct 09, 2012

Only a Union can call a strike. sm - ProUnion Posted: Oct 5th, 2012 - 2:56 pm I've seen lots of posts on these boards recently about strikes.  Please do some research before you risk your jobs.  Only a union can call a strike.  Most of the men in my family belonged to unions over the years, so I've read up a lot.  If you don't believe me, start with the link I've provided and do your own research.  I have to wonder if most of those advocating s ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Indian Workers On 24-hour Strike To Protest
Feb 28, 2012

Inflation (according to Reuters). Think we'll get more work? Sure hope this kind of thing catches on over there!  (take that, Kumar!). ...

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

Patient Has Colicky Abdominal Pain. Doc Tried To Ellcit S/l Heel Strike Sign? Help!
Apr 03, 2012

.. ...

First Day On The Job Yesterday.....
Dec 01, 2010

and I made a whopping $7/hour.  They gave me a physician that, obviously, no one wants. Lots of work on the system from him.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I still have private clients and can make $7 in about 10 minutes.  It's infuriating, but I need the extra $$....if that's what you can call it.  I also got some crazy QA corrections.  One says one thing and another person says another.  Not sure what to do about that.  In my opinion, consistency within a c ...

Took CPC Yesterday.
Dec 30, 2012

I felt confident in myself when I walked into test. Felt prepared, however  I walked out feeling dejected and not sure if I even passed.  I seriously do not know how I did.  I did well on most sections, but I took the advice of other past testers... skipped over the more challenging scenario/questions (And I am glad I did, as I would not have answered the easier ones at the end of the test booklet had I spent time on the harder ones) My plan was to go ...

Yesterday Was My Last Day....
Aug 09, 2013

Yes, I gave a 2 week notice.  I didn't work a lot during those 2 weeks because my primary account was low, or out, of work and it just didn't feel right to take jobs away from someone else on my team. I have to say this......my team lead, my prior team lead, and their manager were very good to me.  I realize that they have higher managers too and they are required to follow the rules that are put upon them.  There lies the problem.  The higher ups.  I've ...

Anyone Else Not Get Paid Yesterday?
Nov 26, 2009

This is the 3rd time in 6 months that my check has been late..... ...

OT Was Offered Yesterday
May 18, 2010

x ...

Did Anyone Get Downtime For Yesterday?
Apr 01, 2011

Just curious if MQ is going to try to ignore yesterday's DocQscribe crash.  My CCM is on vacation so I just put an alert on my timecard.  The RTL told me that it was not an alert and deleted my note.  So downtime or not?  I guess I will just be short this week because I am not making up hours or taking PTO when their stupid system crashes and MQ refuses to own up to it.  Thats what they get for having us all upgrade at the same time.  ...

100% Editing Yesterday
Aug 17, 2011

Not one (1) typed report yesterday all day.  Then got an audit back with a low score, very, very picky.  A couple of careless things, my fault, trying to get in enough editing lines to make a living and rushing.  Guess I need to slow down even more....  Thinking about looking into a receptionist position at a doctor's office near me.  I figure with my age and number of years I have just been doing MT I might not be employable in the outside world, but will give it a ...

Again, DQS Sluggish Like Yesterday. (sm)
Jun 12, 2012

Yesterday, my downtime started with an ADT lookup for an attending when it said "database not available" and today, it's doing the same dang thing, just started about 3 minutes ago. Is this happening to anyone else? I hesitate to keep working because yesterday, I never got the job back that I was in the middle of when it crashed. Argh! ...

What I Heard Yesterday
Jan 22, 2015

When I started out MT years back I transcribed for the local hospital ER docs group. I loved it, but moved on when work dwindled down. A friend works for the group of hospitals in management so I asked who was doing the ER transcription now, I wanted to apply. I was told the hospitals in this area have started using scribes and are slowly doing away with MTs altogether. The exact same thing my new GP doc told me a year ago. Not sure how much longer we are going to be around people, be prepar ...

Gah! In The ER Yesterday Morning..
Jan 23, 2015

I was a patient in a local ER yesterday and had the nicest British physician.  I was directly across from central and was able to hear this physician dictate.  Clear, concise, perfect speed, a dream to transcribe.  The downside is the hospital uses Epic only - no editing by human hands (and ears) at all.  Why oh why can't us humans have dictators like this? ...

Again... OOW Due To OT Offered Yesterday
Jan 27, 2015

We were out of TAT once last week and since then if there are more than 2 (well maybe I am exaggerating here) jobs in the pools they open up OT.  Everyone needs to make money, so of course many of us come in and work.  Understandable.  But TSMs need to cut it off at some point so we don't wind up with nothing in the morning and slow, slow, slow to build up during the day once it is cleaned out at night.  They want you to come back in early afternoon and make up ...

Got My W2 Yesterday In The Mail
Jan 29, 2015

Filing this weekend.  Sure hope I get a nice refund.  Lord knows I could use it. ...

Yesterday My Husband's Hours Were Cut...
Dec 18, 2009

by 5 hours a week, and because he's a supervisor, his salary will be cut by 3%.  Probably more cuts in the next few months.  I know it's not much, but it's scary.  We can't afford it (we're barely making it now), but we'll manage.  I've already taken a second part-time job to supplement my FT at MQ and am looking for another full-time job - that's not MT related. The company he works for is over 100 years old and has never had lay ...