A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is with all this firing and termination this week... - MT

Posted: Nov 04, 2012

People are being terminated without warning at M Modal, according to the board here.  People are being picked on at Nuance even more than usual by QC and supervisors.  These are the 2 biggest employers in the industry.  Why this now?  And most people only make minimum wage.  There can't be such a big economic reason for firing people who are paid so low with this kind of technical skill.  What is going on here... and why... thinking aloud, but ideas would be appreciated.  Not feeling secure at all right at the moment and I am in this over 20 years.

Transition of VR (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
As we have always known, we can't be completely replaced by voice recognition. They can replace our hands but not our minds. As we edit VR, we teach the software how to adjust to the doctors typical errors, phrases, normals, accents and sounds to ignore. Our editing tweaks the program for each individual doctor to the point that errors are dramatically reduced. Their will still be errors, but they will not need the number of editors they did before, thus more will be out of work. The first time there is a malpractice suit that was caused by a VR error that is the ONLY time they will recognize our importance.

I hear you, but... - See Message

[ In Reply To ..]
ASR/VR cannot ever be trained to fix dictations where dictators back up over their words when they change their mind, or dictator who repeat words over and over, and those types of issues. I see this mostly in acute care in the hospitals. Also, the people in hospitals are sicker than those in the clinic, so the exam isn't necessarily as repetitive as a clinic exam.

You are right (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
The good dictators can have their software trained to almost perfect. You are right about the ones who apparently do not understand how VR works as many doctors are under the impression that MTs transcribe verbatim, not knowing how many malpractice suits could result from verbatim. There are so many doctors who do not understand that if they dictate "correction, take out the ovary and put prostate". Will most of these errors be OK with them? It will be interesting to see just how far they will let this go.
I have yet to see VR reports absolutely correct after 10 - P
[ In Reply To ..]
years of using VR and I am talking about the most excellent dictators on there. I have loads of ESLs so not mentioning those but the very cream of the crop after all the same dictators, same kind of reports you cannot just slosh thru a report and hope it is ok because it is far from it. I type of the same acct day after day and VR is sorta ok but not even 100% on the best of the best. Having said that, I am glad to be on VR now because we have, as stated above, loads of ESLs and it does as well on those as on the non-ESLs.
I know VR can't be perfect, even with a perfect dictator (sm) - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
As it will still mix up "he" and "she", type a word for a cough, hiccup, or other background noise, not catch doctor errors. Will doctors be OK with reports like this being cc'd to a colleague: "The patient is a 51-year-old woman... African American woman who comes in with 3 month history of numbness on the left... right side of her face and oh go back to age and make that fifty-two. Now back down to where I was..." If doctors can't even figure out where to hold a mic so their dictation is audible and not covered by breath sounds, or know how to use a pause button, how would they ever be able to correct their errors in VR?
But that was not really what I was talking about - P
[ In Reply To ..]
I know how they change around, going back and putting things in here, adding on here. You know though this used to not happen several years ago. I never had the amount of dictators acting like they do now with all the updating, constantly. What I was talking about was just the plain ole dictation and how if you have an excellent dictator, excellent report coming thru VR still can mess it up regardless. I hear 1 doctor that is almost word by word clear as a bell, no going back and repeating, etc. and yet VR makes the biggest mess out of his dictations. He does an op. Gives preop like he should and then drats if VR is not putting the postop alongside the preop and that is not what he said. I agree with the going back and forth, that I agree with, just was not what I meant by my post.

This is what I think - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right, we aren't making much money but when we can be replaced by someone in India for a penny a line, or whatever they pay them, that is what is going to happen. The only thing that can change this off-shoring policy is our government, and they can't figure out why unemployment is so high in this country.

I dont work for this company, but I have experienced.... - anon3

[ In Reply To ..]
pretty much the same thing. If you were brought in on a merger, you will be the first to be let go. Perhaps your line rate is a little higher than someone they can hire "off the streets," or you are eligible for benefits they don't want to pay, or perhaps, and this is stretching it a bit...perhaps they found out the identies of some who post on this board and decided to get rid of them. Whatever their motives, it stinks! I feel for all who were let go. As I said, I have been there too, and finding alternative working conditions is difficult, as so many others operate much the same way. I wish all of you the best!!! Keep the faith. Think positive, and something better will eventually come your way!

I've watched companies lose accounts or offshore and - lay of 20 people at once. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcriptionists already went from $25 an hour 10 years ago to minimum wage today. Now, there is no job security. What is it going to take to get people to realize everyone needs out. Now. This job is going to be mostly gone in 5 years, at least in the U.S. and what is left will pay minimum wage. I don't understand why anyone would stay. I'm on my way out exit door too.

All this firing and termination - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Please define "all this firing and termination." For all you know, 1 or 2 people could have been terminated or "picked on" at Nuance. The same people can post over and over under different user names to make thing appear worse than they actually are. Without actual numbers, it's difficult to know what is really happening.

Absolutely true about more QA since Nuance took over, endless, every day - P

[ In Reply To ..]
Wondered why in the world QA on my particular place went from every 3 months to every day QA and intense, micromanaging and found out Nuance was on the scene now. Do not know if my company bought out but have the above information about Nuance from 2 leaders at my place. My QA always in the 98+ to 99 but have now been counted off for a comma??? This is insane.

I think they're "cleaning house." - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When, for example, Nuance and MModal fully take over in-house transcription, they "grandfather in" all the existing in-house MTs as part of the deal with the hospitals/clinics.

The MTSOs give those MTs some time to acclimate, and then the MTSOs begin to advertise that they're short-handed and need more MTs, even though the current MTs are getting NJA. They give these new MTs time to get trained and then they start "cleaning house" of all the MTs they no longer want (for whatever reason, and not necessarily due to poor performance).

This is my personal conclusion and is based on what I've seen personally and what I've read on MTStars over the past year or so. Others may have a different opinion, which is perfectly welcome.

What you really mean... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that they take the MTs working for the companies that they buy, use them for a period of time until all is well with the account, and then get rid of them b/c they make too much money. I saw this happen time and again with the people I worked with before the buyout.

"...too much money." - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That might be true in some instances, but MM's, for example, "grandfathered" MTs are more often making much less than the MTs who were already with MM.

I've seen on this board too many times that some MTs with MM are getting 10/6 while others are getting around 9/4. That's a massive difference in pay and the difference has nothing to do with skill level or quality or productivity; simply has to do with the bargin-basement price quoted to the client by MM, so the MTs **and only the MTs** on that account get the bargin-basement wages.

AND, it's not only the 10/6's who are being let go. Lots of the lower paid MTs are also being let go for just any number of reasons. It could simply be that the CCM didn't like that MT, or that that MT didn't work OT one weekend, or that the MT requested two holidays off instead of only one, etc.

When I was outsourced to MedQ (now MM), I was started at 9.5/4. We were given a higher straight typing line rate based on experience, but the 4 cpl for ASR was across-the-board.
addendum... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I should also mention that while we were still in-house, we were about 30% ASR and 70% ST. After we were outsourced, it changed to about 98% ASR and 2% ST and no incentive. AND, we were only given shift diff on ST and NOT on ASR. All this dropped our pay by about 50%.

If that's "too much money," I hate to see what they consider "average." Actually, I guess their "average" would be India's wages. I'd probably be happy making what the Indian MTs are making if my cost of living was what it is in India.

Terminations - JL

[ In Reply To ..]
Where are you getting the info about terminations at M*Modal?

Similar Messages:

Firing
Jun 14, 2011

Of all who were fired today from Medquist, are you full time or part time? ...

Firing Good MTs
May 07, 2010

Below someone commented that good MTs are let go.  That they see a trend.  That they project this is because the "older" MTs make more. First, "good" MTs are not only or always "old" MTs.  Sometimes quite the opposite. Second, what constitutes a trend? Third, what kind of sense does that make?  If an MTSO is in business to make money, they need to get the lines typed.  More experienced MTs do not, as a general rule, get paid more money than less experienced but equal ...

Okay So I Definitely Know Today Is My Day For Breakdown And Ultimate Firing
Apr 06, 2010

This is my end.  I have received back to back ESL horrible doctors that slowing down only obliterate more.   They absolutely know NOTHING in how to pronounce the simplest drug names, and have butchered it beyond control.  All from the same hospital from the south.  Now oncology notes and are whizzing past the difficult chemo meds so fast it is virtually impossible for ANYONE even Indians to decipher this garbage.  This on top of a major error MQ has made concerning ...

RE: DISABILITY AND HIRING/FIRING PRACTICES
Mar 20, 2014

Hi, I was just pondering something: This does not apply to me personally, but I was curious as to whether any company, say MModal, Nuance, etc. have ever laid off any disabled employees, like visually impaired, paraplegic, etc. due to quality of work or whatever. I was curious if they have employees who work for them who are disabled in this way and if they have ever terminated any of them, what kind of legal trouble could they make?   ...

CO Hospital Employees Threatened W/ Firing If They Don't Get Flu Shot
Oct 06, 2012

This makes me REALLY glad I am getting the hell out of health care!   These draconian measures are being implemented across the country.  Most require that ALL employees -- even those who work off-site and have zero patient contact -- receive the toxic injection or they will lose their job.    Check out the comments.  I was VERY heartened to see that the vast majority of them are by posters opposed to the mandate (several very educated MDs and RNs po ...

Immediate Termination????
Nov 03, 2011

We just got an e-mail saying that for anyone working on Abington Hospital (not mine thankfully), an incorrect cc will be cause for immediate termination!!! Whoa . . . talk about looking for a reason to get rid of us!  That's insane!  I feel really sorry for any of you who have that account. MQ is the worst. ...

Termination
Feb 27, 2013

I just got terminated today after working for over 2 years with no problems with quality.  All of a sudden they kept auditing me and for sure they found 1 error that would be the reason for my terimination.  Has anyone else been terminated? Spoke to the operator to return my equipment and she said she has a long list of people that were terminated and she was sure that she could find my name on that list. .  Can a company have you submit vacation time because they have no work for ...

Termination For Using Expanders?
Nov 06, 2009

Did anyone get the message today that using expanders over 75 characters will result in immediate termination? ...

Termination/Transcend
Feb 17, 2010

Well finally the game has ended.  I was informed by my TL last evening that Transcend thought it was best that we part ways.  She stated I was putting hardly any hours in during my "scheduled hours" while there was work available to me (what a joke).  She tried to paint a picture that there was work available to me over the last pay period, but I was not working any hours and basically it was my fault.  My response to  her was unfortunately every time  I l ...

Wrongful Termination?
Feb 14, 2011

Has anyone ventured towards anything like this?  I feel VERY strongly that I was wrongly terminated, but I really do NOT want to work for the company anyway, but with no income, I am not sure what to do.  I do not like the fact of them getting away with what they have done either... Anyone gone down this route or had any thoughts of it? I do not want to ruin future chances of me getting employment and wondering if this would lean towards that if I decided to proceed. I've never ...

Voluntary Termination
Apr 04, 2011

We just got an e-mail from our CCM warning us about sticking to our schedules, logging in on time and working our full shifts.  What was interesting, and that I didn't know, is that if we miss 2 consecutive days without notifying our CCM, it's considered "voluntary termination."  ...

Involuntary Termination?
Apr 27, 2012

Has anyone on this board ever received unemployment benefits after being involuntarily terminated from Medquist/MModal? ...

Impending Termination
Jan 08, 2013

Received an email today that said, in part, "due to an impending termination, extra coverage will be needed..."  If these aren't scare tactics, what are? ...

M*Modal Termination
Aug 15, 2013

After 20 years of service - M*Modal notified me today that I am not longer needed.  Since M*Modal took over, it has been a nightmare!!  After taking a paycut when Editing came on board and then being told that we would NEVER be getting raises ( - who tells their employees that????), GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!  They terminate US employees and keep all their offshore employees for lower salaries!  I was up to nearly $20.00 an hour, and then got bumped down to $13.00.  After the ini ...

Mmodal Termination
Aug 21, 2013

terminated by mmodal....am i able to collect or do i have to fight for it? ...

Just Got My Termination Letter, Was Let Go 08/15...
Aug 29, 2013

The return address was MModal in Morrisville, NC! Guess they have many offices. The letter was a standard, I'm-sorry-type...part-time position eliminated due to "restructure of Operations business model."  "This was a difficult decision...."  Still no one has called about the computer.  Out of habit, I still visit this site, though less frequently.  Seems things at MModal are just getting worse and I feel bad reading some of these posts.  I am starting to believe, t ...

Termination, I.e. Quitting.
Sep 17, 2014

Does anybody know where to find information about quitting, where it might state if you should 1 or 2 weeks notice?  ...

Sneeps - Re: Your Termination From SOAP
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious because I did see the ad that SOAP had posted and maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything in the ad about them supplying the computer.  I had a similar situation with using my personal computer to look stuff up on and the company computer for company stuff, but I have to agree, that it was a bit harsh on their part. I was just wondering why you were supplied a computer, if there was no need to use one of theirs. ...

SoftScript--anybody Else Threatened With Termination?
Feb 01, 2012

My QA score has always run about 12% (SS requires 8% or less to QA) since i started. My trainer told me I had a very difficult account and not to worry. Since then they hired a new producion manager and the percent to QA  has apparently become an issue. I generally get 99% to 100% on my QA score and an email thanking me for the great job (automatically sent, I know).  Today I got an email threatening termination if my score did not comply with the 8% by the next pay period. I know it c ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

Daily Termination Threats
Nov 15, 2012

Another perk of working for MModal, daily email threats of termination.  Wonderful for morale. ...

Got My Official Termination Letter.
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off last Friday.  Letter came today confirming discussion by phone that my part time position was eliminated and shipping labels will be sent. I can't tell you how nice it has been to not be an employee for this company.  It angers me to read posts of whatever they are now doing about NJA situation.  It's hard to believe we have had to put up with these kind of antics for so long.  It's stressful to read them even as a former employee!  But I f ...

Followup Termination/Transcend Post
Feb 23, 2010

I would like to thank you all for the many responses I received regarding my post last week, regardless as to if they were positive or negative responses.  When I posted I knew I was putting my head on the chopping block so to speak.  I respect everyone's opinions. and the reason behind all prior posts was to share my experiences with Transcend and hoping others would share theirs  (good or bad) as well as to "vent," as I felt I was facing this situation a ...

Letter Today About Termination Of Kaiser Medical
Apr 02, 2010

Apparently they are making us switch to United Healthcare (probably cheaper I I think Kaiser is only in CA (???).   I really like my doctor at Kaiser but I guess I'll have to say good bye to her.  As for United, could anyone give me any info on this plan, whether you like it, what the insurance premiums are like for a single person, etc.  Any info appreciated :) Thanks!                     ...

Well, It Is Official. Received My Termination Letter Today.
Aug 02, 2013

This is it!  Been waiting for this letter in the mail since July 23 to make it official in my mind and received the boxes to return the CPU and monitor. I went to college with a degree in Medical Transcription/Medical Secretary (our TSMs have NO college degree).  I cannot believe I gave 26 years of my life by working every holiday, having 4 (5 day) vacations in 26 years, being employee of the month 3 times over the years, giving up family time and plans because I am scheduled to work, ...

Mmodal Inevitable Termination For Low Audit Scores....
Jul 14, 2014

Hi!  I was hoping for a little input.  I have been with Mmodal/Medquist/Spheris since 2005.  They have the new quality standards which seem to be out of reach for me. They want us to be at an unreasonable 99.7.  Even today, received last week's audit scores and one was 100% the other at 98.75.  I am on my 3rd corrective action for this and know I am at close to the end of my rope.  I actually would like to go back to school.  Has anyone been unintentionall ...

Anyone Experiencing HIPAA Violation Threats Of Fines/termination?
Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? ...

HAPPY MT WEEK - Have A Great Week
May 17, 2010

To all you wonderful MTs working and slaving your lives away, Happy MT Week.  I appreciate you.  I appreciate your kindness when I have a rant or a rave, when I'm at my wits end with the constant changing around of clients, client profiles and the never ending dings being thrown at me. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. It is because of all of you, and only you MTs on this board that I manage to stay in this game.  We are treated as less than second class citiz ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Payday This Week (Thanksgiving Week)
Nov 24, 2014

Does anyone know when pay will be distributed this week? A big deal seemed to be made about getting payroll in quickly, so Im wondering if pay will be released before Thursday or if its just going to be Friday as usual. ...