A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Termination/Transcend - RLee

Posted: Feb 17, 2010

Well finally the game has ended.  I was informed by my TL last evening that Transcend thought it was best that we part ways.  She stated I was putting hardly any hours in during my "scheduled hours" while there was work available to me (what a joke).  She tried to paint a picture that there was work available to me over the last pay period, but I was not working any hours and basically it was my fault.  My response to  her was unfortunately every time  I logged in my pool it was EMPTY.  She can only see me logged into the system when I  have jobs downloaded, which is almost impossible on my part.  Literally - I  have to be glued to the computer with an umbilical cord looking at a blank screen during my schedule waiting for jobs to appear and when they do other MTs are grabbing them at the same time.  I asked her if she could explain to me why I am getting less than 8 hours work a week for weeks on end  (last week I  made myself available and got less than 3 hours work all week) and this has been an ongoing  issue and it was out of my control.  Then I got an email from the ROM responding to  my email, which stated there has been plenty of work in my account during my shift and that it was my decision to limiit myself to specific worktypes, which has created a situation where I am not getting enough work to cover 40  hours of  production.  (In my opinion they are contradicting themselves - first they said there was  plenty of work availble to me and then they state due to limited work types there was not enough work to cover a 40-hour production).  She then stated it was completely within my control.  Also mentioned was this situation has caused them more time  than necessary, monitoring production, etc.  They stated due to no production in 3 consecutive days was reason for termination.  So that is how it has ended.  What they failed to mentioned is when I did try another account out of my field they pulled me off it and was unwilling to train me, they removed me from accounts that I was specifically hired for knowing my skill level was liimited to speciality, they put  other MTs typing the work that I was capable of typing myself within my speciality, I lost health insurance due to reduction of hours and was still expected to work 40 hours when the work was limited to me.  I will admit I was not glued to my computer during my shift looking at a blank screen for 40 hours a week last week, but I did check back every few hours during my shift and there was never any work in my pooling.  So apparently while I was not staring at a blank screen work came in and someone grabbed it.  Now Transcend will probably try to fight unemployment on what has been stated on their part to me NOT MAKING MYSElF AVAILABLE.  This is just insane, but I will be prepared for any actions they put forth regarding reasoning for termination and it was beyond my control. 

One thing they also fail to mention is that when I went out on FMLA last summer on and off  due to my mother's terminal  illness (yes now they do now who RLEE is, which at this point I do not care) in which I was only gone 2 weeks at a time, and they did grant the FMLA, that upon my return they had changed my pooling and accounts.  Their excuse was that during my absence they had to put other MTs on my accounts to cover the work, which is understandable, but upon my return those MTs should have been removed, as it was only a temporary situation.  So in other words say if it was just a 1 or 2-week vacation (not FMLA) at any point I was gonig to be penalized for it and upon my return my accounts would be changed.  During my second 2-week absence of FMLA, I was reassured by them that  my accounts would remain the same upon my return and nothing would change.  After my FMLA ordeal was over my hours started to decline due to Transcend lmiiting work availabilty to me and things just went from bad to worse.  So in my opinion I believe I was being discriminated upon for taking FMLA on and off last summer, which happens to be federal act to protect employees in order for them to keep their jobs.  This is a blessing in disguise - and on the positive side Angel's Transcription made contact with today and things will start rolling there.  :)

I would see LAWYER if I were you......that sounds - REALLY FISHY. - no/msg.

[ In Reply To ..]

You could get them on the FMLA... - curious-NOT the "curious" below

[ In Reply To ..]
...but it will end up costing you legal costs, etc., and theoretically may not be worth it. Sucks, doesn't it? (My sister and her husband are both attorneys.) Somewhat off topic, I know in my case the MT companies I've worked for quite seriously do want you to stay glued to your computer and check in at MOST every 15 minutes. In this country, when it comes to legalities, Company (esp. Corporation) will win over Individual nearly every time. I'd like to think this is one of the bigger reasons MTs almost never do anything to go after the companies that treat them unfairly, though I don't think it is.

RLee - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to see an employment lawyer NOW. Many of them take these cases on contingency. Please do not let them do this to you!

what have THEY done TO her? - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
She didn't work or seemingly refused to do anything but her preferred type of work. I'm an employer and can tell ya, that doesn't fly if you want to stay employed as a transcriptionist these days.

I agree.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This whole thing sounds like this OP is crying poor me when in fact she was not showing up for work. End of story!

that's inappropriate - and you know it

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what kind of employer you are, so I don't want you to think the following is directed at you.

The poster described being assigned a shift, during which time a finite number of jobs was available, and those jobs were grabbed before she could grab them herself.

That would be employment by lottery, which is not acceptable as an employment strategy.

The MT who is under obligation to operate an 8-hour shift, five days a week, is the same MT who is compelled to sumbit documentation (time sheet) that attests to four hours of work in a given week. She made 100 bucks. Wow. 25 bucks an hour. But that 100 bucks took 40 hours to earn.

MTSOs are making the most of this slick business model at our expense.

And what you have is 1 person's story - Curious
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an employer long enough to recognize a certain type of MT. And frankly, I think she is one of those types of MTs. Yes, there are problems in the industry and this goes for the MTSO as well as the MT. I would encourage going to a smaller MT service where your relationship can be more personal.

But as I've read months of this person's posts, I'm sorry, it's ALWAYS going to be "they did me wrong" no matter who the "they" is.

And my reply was not inappropriate in the least.
Hmmm - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Glad I do not work for you. I have always had a professional working relationship with the companies I have worked for in the past, which have not been many, 3 in 22 plus years excluding Transcend, so I think I have a pretty good track record. I have also aquired many good references from the docs at neurology after 17 plus years along with other references from supervisors. There was never any complaints about my work or ethics. They have all been smaller companies/private practices excluding Transcend - and yes I have an opportunity to go with a smaller company and am very much looking forward to working for someone that is real, upfront, and most importantly has INTEGRITY!!!!
The constant venting is NOT professional. Your future MTSO is - probably freaking out about now. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Posting - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
This board is to vent and share experiences - whether they are pleasant or bad - as far as being professional I think you should be taking that term up with Transcend. :)
Transcend termination - typefast
[ In Reply To ..]
Your post and the posts of the others who assume we are lying or exaggerating, or are "a certain type of MT" are shortsighted and pompous....the very reason I've stayed away. If you're so curious, why don't you address the person privately and have a dialogue with her regarding what might have happened. Consider it a learning curve. Hey wait a minute.... are you my ROM disguised as curious???

Seriously?!?!?!!?! - I cant tell you how many

[ In Reply To ..]
hours a week I sit and look at an empty work queue for no work and, obviously, no pay -- what are we supposed to do when employers refuse to compensate for down-time on THEIR end but expect us to:
A: COMMIT to a schedule and be avaialble
B: Be availabe 24/7 for them when they DO NOT provide work for us on the schedule THEY DEMANDED we commit to

?????????????? We used to be allowed a 12-hour window to do our required amount of lines, now we have 8. Unless, of course, the employer is unable to provide work, THEN we have 24.

We (the employees) give and give, are the people who SUPPORT the employers by doing our job. This used to be appreciated but, sadly, no longer seems to be the case.
This seems fitting in this situation! - quote
[ In Reply To ..]
WE THE WILLING,
LED BY THE UNKNOWING,
DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE,
FOR THE UNGRATEFUL!

Mother Teresa

That's quite an assumption, with all due respect - ObjectiveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
We don't know that she REFUSED to do anything but her preferred type of work. Perhaps she was only trained on certain work types and that's all she was allowed to do; the way you phrased your statement makes it sound like she was simply sitting there and cherry-picking and, while no one but the OP and Transcend know all the facts here, I think it's making a huge leap to draw the conclusion she was simply refusing to do certain jobs.

If I've missed a post where she's trained in all areas, then my apologies in advance. I just try to be as objective as possible with these types of situations and I don't recall anywhere where RLee has indicated she refuses to do certain types of work types.

Termination Transcend - typefast

[ In Reply To ..]
As an employer, it baffles the mind that you would make such a comment. Did you read what the woman said? I was terminated also, has nothing to do with turning down work. No work to turn down. My joy for this day is that you are not my employer.

Another view - MamaMia-MT-A

[ In Reply To ..]
RLee said, "What they failed to mentioned is when I did try another account out of my field they pulled me off it and was unwilling to train me,"

This is just one of the things in your post that caused my jaw to drop. It's not your employers job to teach you the job. If you aren't willing to go gain the education through schooling, then you do paint yourself in a very narrow box. It makes perfect sense that if you only do certain work types, your work pool would be limited.

I hardly think Transcend has nothing more to do than to plot how best to screw you. I mean the reality is, they need MTs to DO the work and it sounds like even though you tout how you were tethered to the computer, you were only willing to do a limited type of work.

If you want to stay viable in this field, you're going to have to figure out that being a One Note Nancy isn't going to serve you very well.

I wish you luck with Angel when and if that gig begins, but I have a feeling that, well, you'll continue posting so we'll see, right?

To another view - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I should have mentioned that my tertiary account, which I had typed for 3 years and which was outside of my area of speciality (family medicine)was taken away from me at the beginning of my FMLA supposedly due to overstaffing and VR. I was tried on another account, which was family medicine, and one of my headers (in BeyondTXT the MT cannot see the finished product, it looks different on the printed end) was not coming out right. As a result instead of telling me why it was not coming out correctly and what I may have been doing wrong when all the other headers were correct- they removed me from that account when the problem had a quick fix. At one point Transcend sent out a global email due MTs complaining about lack of work and MTs were encouraged to inquire to be put on other accounts as backup and if needed a "mentor" would be provided. I should not have used the word "train" on my original post, as I am capable of doing work types outside of my speciality, but need a "period of time to learn the new work" and would need a "mentor" to get through it. When I inquired about that Transcend's comment was "they did have the time to train me" instead of offering a "mentor". In the last few months I did have a family medicine account added to my pooling, which I did good on, but for some STRANGE reason that was even just trickling in at a slow rate along with everything else in my pooling. So did offer to learn new work types/specialities. Also at another point in the last 6 months for some strange reason they started to QA all my reports on the account that I had been typing for 4 years :)and that happened when a new TL came on board. During that time I got a "dinged" from QA for using t.i.d. as opposed to three times a day. When I inquired about that they then told me they were wrong. They tried everything in their power the last 6 months to limit my work ability and I feel it was beyond my control after awhile, as I was willing to have more work types added to my pooling and was more than willing to have a "mentor." When my old company merged with Transcend - the TLs were informed that I was limited toork types. Unfortunately I do not have acute care experience and have always done clinic work and in order to get acute care experience you need to be typing on hospital accounts, whioh is also beyond my control- so how do I get acute care experience?

You were on BeyondTXT? I think that says it all! - BeyondTXT is crapola!! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes - I was on BeyondTXT :) - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

How to get acute care exp? Now? This is something SM - shaking head

[ In Reply To ..]
you should have been working on years ago. I know I posted many warnings to MTs over the years, the ones who were comfy with their clinic work and refused to do anything else, that the day would come when their skills would not be enough to get or keep a job. I have read many other similar warnings through the years.

And now the chickens have come home to roost. You need acute care exp and can't get it.

Just because your TLs were notified you only do specific work, it didn't obligate them to provide it. No company wants an ER only or clinic only MT and they haven't for at least a year now. Only rad MTs can continue getting jobs doing only 1 type of work, but even there they cannot specialize (not just plain films).

Read the job boards - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Some do ask for specific work types/specialities and that if you do not have that specialities exp. - do not apply, although I will agree most do want acute care exp., but not ALL of them. :)
If that was true, you'd be working today. nm - observer
[ In Reply To ..]
don't understand.
To observer - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Did not expect you to understand for some reason - curious- but you would understand if you had been in my shoes for the last 6 months - count your blessings you were not !!!!
WT - TiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have to agree with you on getting the experience, if it is offered to you. I used to solely be an ER MT and was very comfortable, made lots of money doing it also but, my bosses always told me to get all the experience I could and my motto from then on had become "If you give it to me, I will type it," so they gave it to me. Whatever it was, I typed it. I still never got the radiology experience I wanted but I'm not so sure that will even come. The radiolgy MTs on my old job were basically forced back to typing Basic 4s when the hospital got the new VR system and it worked seemlessly for radiology. But still, like I tell my girls, "knowledge is power and nobody can take that away from you." I had to tell my newbie MT friend to get the experience so she wouldn't be out of luck when there was no physical therapy work and she listened. Some people need a push.

I'm sorry this happened, but until now I did not SM - oh no

[ In Reply To ..]
know that you are limited in the types of work you can do. That poses a problem with most large nationals and is going to be an issue in getting full unemployment. Good luck to you, though.

Limited abilities...sm - Another opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
Limited abilities will and often do play a large part in the availability of work. As an MT, like in any other profession, we are expected to grow and expand our knowledge base to remain marketable. While I certainly feel for any MT struggling to make lines each day, I also see where now, more than live, it is vital to improve upon your skill set, not just rest on your laurels and hope others don't pass you by.

As far as the FMLA situation goes, read the fine print of this act very carefully. While there are provisions that require an employer maintain an equitable position upon your return and support your benefits, you are not guaranteed the same work assignment. The company had every right to cover your accounts in your absence, and they did have a position available for you upon your return.

Not trying to "pick" on anyone...just playing devil's advocate before you launch into pursuing a lawsuit that may well result in nothing gained.

Equitable position - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I was only out on FMLA for 2 weeks, home for 2 months working, and then gone for 2 weeks. They knew I would only be gone 2 weeks at a time. So in my opinion if I were to take a 2-week vacation - with the FMLA component out of the equation - my accounts would change, never happened before when I took a vacation. They did not put me on an equitable account - it was an unfamilair accout. I could see it if they had lost my accounts and had to be forced to put me on new accounts, but that was not the case - they added an MT/MTs to my accounts and failed to remove them upon my return. Yes - I do eralize someone has to cover these accounts in my absence, but these MTs should been removed upon my return. I at one point emailed my TL and told her I was willing to learn more and she added more family medicine to my pooling, but that work was TRICKLING in - so how can I advance in work type when they were not allowing me to get the work.

I feel badly for you RLee... - Dont listen to these meanies.

[ In Reply To ..]
You have no control over what your employer is willing to give you for work. You can beg all you want to learn a new work type, but maybe they have no interest in training you. How is that your fault. You have no control over how much work you receive, or what accounts they give you, so how is it your fault you did not get enough work.

I do not believe that we have to sit at our desks waiting for something to come tricking in. They do not pay us downtime to sit there. If I was a secretary in an office, and there was no work, they would not just leave me sit there at the desk, paying me... they would say you are free to go for the day.

Everyone who thinks that it is our job to sit and wait for work while not being paid is part of the problem, and contributing to these compaines treating us in this manner.

I do not know what caused all of these issues for you, but I believe it has nothing to do with the lack of work, and more so to do with the posting on this board about trying to find another job due to lack of work. They knew who you were.

I just know that I wish you the best of luck trying to land a job where they have enough work for you and I hope you find it rapidly.

GOOD LUCK.
Lack of work - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not trying to get sympathy as many are suggesting - and yes I do know that Transcend knew who I was at one point by reading my posts. My insurance coverage was dropped due to "reduction of hours" when it should have stated "lack of work", as I was literally glued to this computer for 40 hours a week at that point. Once the insurance got dropped, however, I still was on the computer for longer than I feel I should have been expected to waiting for jobs to appear that never did and did not feel obligated to keep my autotext clicked on since when I did no jobs were avaialalbe either way. About a monthor so ago my TL emailed me and said that she had been contacted by another TL who needed someone to type in my speciality and would be getting back to me - a week went by and I had not heard anything further. I then emailed her back and inquired about it and she stated the other TL must have been on vacation since the inquiry and that she was expecting to get together with her that day and get back to me. Well guess what - never heard anything back regarding that account being added to my pooling so that was obvioulsy beyond my control. I never refused work that was being made available to me by any means. Thanks for your understanding :)

What? - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
RLee shared: Yes - I do eralize someone has to cover these accounts in my absence, but these MTs should been removed upon my return

Are you saying this in all seriousness? Because you say you would be gone "2 weeks at a time." Accounts need steady coverage and you weren't able to provide that so you were moved to another account when you returned. You have no right of expectation that your position on the same account would be held. As far as FMLA, you are and MT and you were given a position as an MT. The account has NOTHING to do with it.
To curious - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
I REALIZE the account has to be covered -duh - putting FMLA aside, does that mean everytime you take a VACATION your accounts will no longer be made available to you !!!! Come on - I have worked as an MT for 22 years, although have "limited" skills in certain areas, but my work and accounts were always there upon my return from a VACATION!!!!

When Transcend bought out RLee's company - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they knew what they were buying. She was good enough then when she was part of the package. I would be interested in knowing if they have a time frame they have to keep the acquistioned employees before they can give them the ax.

Finally - thanks - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG - you got my point across is less words than I ever could known. :)

Not necessarily.... - Transcend requires 5 years of recent acute care ex

[ In Reply To ..]
to even be eligible to apply. Anyone coming in via a merger has the advantage of being able to skip over that requirement, but if your performance on the job after the merger isn't up to Transcend's standards, there's nothing that says they have to keep you. Especially when you develop an online reputation as a whiner. Do you think the suits don't peruse these boards? In between their stealing pennies from poor people and laughing all the way to the bank about it, that is. Think again.

(Nobody ever got rich stealing from poor people, by the way. That was meant to be sarcastic.)

Transcend only interested in ACCTS, not the/sm - HUH?

[ In Reply To ..]
people. There is no incentive to them to keep someone who cannot do any job thrown their way. I'm sorry, but that is the truth, especially when there are so many MTs out there applying for every available job.

I have to agree with the person who said the OP had painted herself into a corner. That is what happens when you stay comfortable. You become expendable.

My response to RLee and the OPs already responding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
While my heart goes out to you, RLee, over this situation:

Don't waste your time with an attorney. You have not a leg to stand on.

No company owes you a job or a set amount of work.

If you did not know how to do every single worktype for your account, you could have done more and it was your choice to limit yourself.

Before everyone blasts me, I know because I've been there and sought legal counsel.

Maybe it's time to start spending more time learning more specialties and - and less time posting. Best of luck to you. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

100 percent agreement, particularly posting under multiple -- - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
identities when the first one doesn't gather the support one expects. It's time to get busy working and learning and spend less time pointing away from oneself when it comes to placing the blame for your predicament. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's what it's come to.

Identities - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not posted under multiple identities and have no intention of doing so.

Sorry but I side mostly with the MTSO based on your post - drivebyposter

[ In Reply To ..]
You stated enough in your post to make your defense sound suspicious and weak.

And no I am not a suit LOL.

Seriously, as a person who has had to ask for patience from my job on several occasions, we can't assume that MTSOs can *always* cover our lapses, regardless of the reason.

It sounds to me as if for whatever reason *you* chose to limit what types of work types you could or would do. Based on *that* limitation, there was not enough work.

Either way, you can't really expect this board to be the venue to state and/or defend your case. Based on one side of the story, however, your side looks weak.

For the record I see both sides, its just in this case, the poster seems more at fault.

After reading all the responses, and my SM - MDI/Transcend

[ In Reply To ..]
own experiences with only 2 weeks in with this company, I think a person is either going to "sink or swim" here based on numerous variables. Although I knew this already, it is clear that no one cares about anything but profit, so any personal issues you may have (and having a terminally ill parent is devastating), mean nothing. The recovery from losing a loved one can take time. No one cares, and if you expect any empathy or support, you are foolish. I personally feel empathy for RLee's situation, but the responses to the post shows me I am correct in my opinion. The times of people caring about people (even in a work environment) are gone. The responses here are cold hearted, and leave me feeling very sad for all of us. I expect some may blast me for this post, but it doesn't matter to me. I am trying to develop a hard shell in order to survive now. RLee, I hope you can find something better, and you don't have to go through anymore ****.

Welcome to the world of the national MT. nm - sorry

[ In Reply To ..]
x

My own experience - sideline poster

[ In Reply To ..]
Mostly a lurker, occasionally a poster, but had to weigh in on this one !! I am not a "suit" or whatever you call them and this is based totally on my own experience. I started with MDI a little over a year ago and, although I was in the business for 23 years, was only a clinic worker. I bought MANY reference materials and made it my business to learn acute care work. I begged and pleaded and little by little had different work types open to me. As I mastered one, I would plead for another until now every work type is open to me in my pool. Moral of the story...you MUST, MUST, MUST work to improve your skills no matter how many years you've been around.

My second point is much more personal. When I started with MDI my mother had already been diagnosed with stage IV renal cancer. She got progressively worse over the year and just recently, on January 14th of this year passed away. I took almost 10 days off after she died, and many times over the year had to alter my schedule to take her to chemo and doctor visits and just be with her when she was sick. I would change my hours or perhaps there would be a day when I couldn't reach my line commitment. My TL and all of the people I had to report to could not have been more kind and understanding and thoughtful for my situation. So, although I can only account for myself, I must say that I put out the effort to make myself available and always tried to make my line counts even it was an altered schedule, but the powers to be were very understanding and it definitely was not all about the profit. This field is no different than anything else these days ladies and gents. Jobs are hard to come by wherever you go, if you want to keep yours you have to perform, improve and do the best you can.
To Sideline poster. I was not talking - about MDI SM
[ In Reply To ..]
in my post you responded to. I was talking about large nationals.

Empathy isn't the issue - Lostaparent

[ In Reply To ..]
I lost a parent last spring. I didn't expect my employer to put my position on hold. Instead, I took a laptop and worked while I was out of town. In the days following the death of my parent, I took the BUSINESS ACCEPTABLE 3 days bereavement. My employers were thoughtful, sent me flowers even, but that didn't stop the fact that medicine is 24/7 and the world keeps going no matter what your loss is.

It's not a lack of empathy. It's a matter of business. MDI/T is not her friend. They aren't there to be her friend. They are there to make money. Isn't that why we ALL are here? All the complaining about the MTSO making money is ridiculous, it's WHY they are in business. (Yes, I agree some practices are not the best, however.)

Please stop blaming the MTSO and the posters here who have been respectful although in disagreement, for lack of empathy. It's Life.
Empathy - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately we are all going to have to face the loss of a parent. Transcend did grant me FMLA and most were very caring and understanding of the situation for which I am thankful for. I did buy a laptop. I looked into alternative ways to keep working at the time of my mother's illness, but they did not meet the requirements I needed. Trancsend was understanding of this situation as well and was aware that I was unable to work that being the reason for FMLA. At one point I was the sole caretaker of a terminally ill woman and it would have been impossible to carry on work anyway. Transcend had no problem with granting me what time I needed. My complaint is lack of work before and after the FMLA situation, which was beyond my control. Yes - I was limited as we all know in my "Skills", but I was told by the ROM that my accounts WOULD NOT CHANGE, THEY WOULD BE THERE UPON MY RETURN AND TO TAKE WHATEVER TIME I NEEDED!!!! I did try to keep up my work responsibilities - that is why I was only gone for 2 weeks and then back home working for 2 months and unfortunately had to leave for 2 more weeks as my mother was given only 2 weeks to live. But, unfortunately what they told me was a lie, my same accounts were not there and the jobs available to me were gradually dwindling down enough so that I had to spend 12 to 14 hours a day to get an 8-hour days work in.

Termination Transcend - Nanny

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the nature of being a transcriptionist for a large company - been through all of this - you need to be the best of the best and able to do acute care along with clinical stuff and ESLs along with op reports to be assured that you don't get thrown under the bus. If you are just working for a local physician, or group of physicians life is much more simple and you do not have to be so close to perfection so to speak.

Been there --- learned a painful lesson. :)

no, not due to large -- I was with the largest, MQ - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and with my different hospitalizations and traumas, I was always treated with kindness, respect and patience. My job was always waiting for me. I think the problem here is either Rlee (whether personality or ability) or that the T people are in fact noncaring about circumstances. But it is not due to the company being large. Or maybe they have been too aware of her posts for some time. JMO.

I call bull-hockey. - On the grounds of the platform

[ In Reply To ..]
RLee, I was very sympathetic to your plight to begin with. But now you have thrown me to the other side of the fence.

Why? Because you said you worked on BeyondTXT. So do I, so I know how it works from the MLS end. Thus, the bull-hockey call.

You do NOT have to sit in front of the computer waiting to grab jobs before somebody else does. In BeyondTXT you are supposed to keep your auto level set to 1 job and have the box checked. That way, the next available job will AUTOMATICALLY come to you when you are next in line, even if you are away from your computer. It will be there when you get back, unless you've been gone more than 2 hours and your session has timed out. And although we are told not to do it, that auto level can be set as high as 5. You can't tell me that someone who claims to be desperate for work might not bend that rule... so you could have had as many as 5 jobs waiting for you, assigned to you, at any given time.

I wish you the best of luck at your next job. But I would suggest you display a bit more willingness to roll with the flow and upgrade your skills any time you are given an opportunity to do so. And I hope for your sake that your prospective new employer isn't reading this board.....

termination - MTSO is right on this one

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how this platform works, but the OP clearly stated in her post "I will admit I was not glued to my computer during my shift looking at a blank screen for 40 hours a week last week, but I did check back every few hours during my shift and there was never any work in my pooling." Every few hours?!?! If your shift is 8 hours long and you are only checking every few hours no wonder there's no work available! I would have been checking at least every 15 minutes! If you are unavailable for a "few hours" at a time during your shift, this MTSO had every right to fire you.

Have you read all the previous posts - from RLee? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
It didn't start out this way. I believe at first, checking for work was done quite frequently. After months of this situation, I can understand where LAST WEEK this happened.
Obviously they have not - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
read all my prior posts :) I appeciate everyone's opinion, as that is why I posted this info regardless of who is right or wrong, but I wanted my own personal experience to be heard. Obviously in my own opinion I do not see where I am at fault for anything except for not having more of a wide variety of specialities under my cap, which I am capable of doing if given the opporunity. Like all of us with anything unfamiliar it takes time to get familiar and comfortable with new things that may come our way. I am not at fault, however, for not having the work made available to get comfortable with and not having a "mentor", as my TL at one point stated she would be more than willing to do, but that fell through the cracks as well. Transcend knew where my "skill level was from day one" and at least I have been open and honest with them as to my capabilities and comfort zone - in which they on the other hand have been anything but honest in any of their latest correspondence with me and reasoning for me not having work to cover a 40-hour work week, as before the merge to Transcend I always had an abundance of work in my "skilled area" and worked more than my "schedule" to keep work within TAT and was not glued to the computer looking at a blank screen - this started before FMLA and after FMLA got progressively worse. At the beginning of the new year I did mention the work load to my TL and her remark was "I noticed the hours are minimal, but it is a new year!!!!" :) With Transcend you are damned it you do and damned if don't as the old saying goes.

Months on end - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot even begin to count the days I would jump up and down every 15 minutes to see if there was work for me. I was getting quite the workout - better than a stairmaster - and for those BeyondTXT users - yes I would have my auto clicked on and it made no difference.
Checking auto level box makes no difference because jobs auto-protect and d/l to only one MT - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
On BeyondTXT, even if you leave the auto level box checked, because there could be other MTs as well as the TL herself that might have their own auto level checked on their own computers at the same time that you have checked it, once a job is available, your computer might not be downloading that job at the next 5-min refresh session because the job auto-protects itself and downloads to only one MT at a time and stays on her computer until she disposes it off, and the rest of the MTs only get the gray *job not available* prompt when they try to download it, or if they download it by accident/system glitch, will not be able to open it. Under such circumstances, if you are not the TL's favorite MT, the odds of your computer downloading any job that is available even if you clicked on auto level, are practically zero.

That says a lot doesn't it ?? - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Obvioiusly I was not a favorite, apparenlty chirped too loud about my frustration level and got zero jobs as a result of punishment - lol
Sure does. That's terrible! But I admire your courage for speaking out. - All the best
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck to you!

BeyondTXT - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
There have been days and many of them that I would have my autotext clicked on and NO JOBS were ever available on some days and never automatically downloaded - so that did not even work proving my point that work was being withheld from me. On the other hand I would make myself available during my shift and beyond to try to get line count in and it was a worthless effort on my part. So it came to the point that I just could not see any sense sitting here for hours on end looking at a blank screen and would check back throughout the day. It then seemed there was only a particular time of day the work would be made available to me and I would check at those times and type it, but the jobs that I were not typing were disappearing before I could get mine typed, therefore, leaving me with no work the rest of the day. During my so called shift I was lucky to make $40 a day, and it was not due to me not being available. It was a win/no win situation week after week.

YOU are wrong; the jobs on BeyondTXT don't wait for you to d/l unless your name/ID is written o - Please get your facts right

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought this thread was PERFECT for a request for judicial/quasi-judicial notice until you posted your message.

FYI, on BeyondTXT, unless you are a favorite of the TL and your name (ID) is written on the job and "special-assigned" out of the whole bunch of favoritisms that YOUR TL and ROM shows towards you over the rest of the MTs like RLee, just because the job showed up in your pool under the batch of 50 "available jobs", does NOT mean that the job is "waiting for YOU to download." When RLee clicks that job showing in her pool, if someone else had already downloaded the job, it gives her a red stop signal that the job is not available for you, meaning someone had already downloaded it. Please read your BeyondTXT instruction manual; it explains the red stop signal.

No, if they show up on the screen at all - they are available to whoever gets to them first

[ In Reply To ..]
And if you have your auto level box checked, they WILL download automatically.

If you are not assigned to a particular work poor or work type, the jobs never appear on your screen. Period. If they do appear, they are yours for the grabbing, if you can get to them first.

Here's a tip that's not in the manual. (Yes, I've read it, cover to cover, several times.) When my workload is running low, I will keep hitting the action/load/refresh command so that I'll see what's coming up sooner than the 5 minutes that the system reloads automatically. And oddly enough... I hardly ever run out of work, even despite the fact that both my primary and secondary accounts were buried in snow last week so they were very, very slow....
Thank you for proving RLee's point - Please get your facts right
[ In Reply To ..]
...that when MTs (assuming you are not a TL with special privileges) like you "grab" the job before RLee does, that job is "not available" for her, which was WHAT she has been trying to say all along when you called her message "bull-hockey." I would not stoop to your level and call your message what you called her's. Please try to be civil towards your fellow MTs the next time.

Because there could be several other MTs that clicked on "auto level" box at the same time as RLee, checking the "auto level" box only downloads the job on to her "available jobs" pool, but does not necessarily download the job "on to HER COMPUTER automatically" as the jobs self-protect and download on to only one MT's ID and computer, but not to each and every MT that has the auto level box checked; RLee then has to try to "manually" download it on to her computer first with "get job" function, and then try to open it by clicking on the "edit the job" option if she wants to transcribe/edit it. And...only the "downloaded jobs ON TO HER COMPUTER" stay in her pool available to her for a couple of hours, after which they are retrieved by the system out of her pool, while those jobs that are NOT downloaded by her, if grabbed by other MTs, leave her pool every 5 minutes when her pool refreshes itself automatically. BTW, THAT's in the manual too if you didn't know.

As I said before, those jobs that get "downloaded" on to your computer without you manually clicking on "get the job" to download them, probably are "special-assigned" to your ID by your TL and ROM and are getting downloaded automatically and "staying in your pool forever", or you are a TL with "special privileges" which RLee might not have for her ID.

As to "work being there" for you "always" in spite of rain, snow, hurricane, and twisters...speak for yourself. Even without the natural hazards, accounts have been running dry on quite a few accounts; probably because of careless MTs giving poor quality of work...like in typing stuff like..."If you are not assigned to a particular work poor or work type..." All it takes is one careless MT to ruin it for the rest of the MTs that produce good work.

BeyondTXT automation - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes - if you keep the auto level box checked it will automatically download jobs as they come into your pooling, but on the other hand I had it checked at one point for 2 days straight and nothing ever downloaded - meaning no jobs were made available to me !!! And yes again - I would click the refresh button and nothing was ever there pending to be downloaded into the system - and if you sit there for hours on end looking at a blank screen you finally just give up. It is a first come first grab basis, but in my csae many times there was nothing to grab - my god - why would I lie about it and choose to sit there when work was availalble, as I too need to make a living. With that said -from my experience - if there are jobs in the pooling and someone takes them the jobs will appear grayed out with a red line through them letting you know someone else had taken them. Many days that did not even happen again proving no jobs were being made available to me. The TL can control what jobs are made available to you obviously.

sounds like you are better off without them nm - missindale

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Termination - LinK

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry about your termination. Good luck with your new job at Angel's Transcription.

Transcend - Grandy

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you were definitely discriminated against, and I do not believe this is legal either; however, for the most part, Transcend has a longstanding reputation of being a nasty company to work for --- yes I know there are those of you who like working for Transcend, but most of us have had bad experiences. The field of medical transcription remains far tooooooooo unregulated!!!

To Grandy - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Will post later as to anything that I decide to do, as at this point I just want this nightmare to be behind me. With that said though - I will stand up for what I believe in, right or wrong, win or lose :)

Similar Messages:

Followup Termination/Transcend Post
Feb 23, 2010

I would like to thank you all for the many responses I received regarding my post last week, regardless as to if they were positive or negative responses.  When I posted I knew I was putting my head on the chopping block so to speak.  I respect everyone's opinions. and the reason behind all prior posts was to share my experiences with Transcend and hoping others would share theirs  (good or bad) as well as to "vent," as I felt I was facing this situation a ...

Immediate Termination????
Nov 03, 2011

We just got an e-mail saying that for anyone working on Abington Hospital (not mine thankfully), an incorrect cc will be cause for immediate termination!!! Whoa . . . talk about looking for a reason to get rid of us!  That's insane!  I feel really sorry for any of you who have that account. MQ is the worst. ...

Termination
Feb 27, 2013

I just got terminated today after working for over 2 years with no problems with quality.  All of a sudden they kept auditing me and for sure they found 1 error that would be the reason for my terimination.  Has anyone else been terminated? Spoke to the operator to return my equipment and she said she has a long list of people that were terminated and she was sure that she could find my name on that list. .  Can a company have you submit vacation time because they have no work for ...

Termination For Using Expanders?
Nov 06, 2009

Did anyone get the message today that using expanders over 75 characters will result in immediate termination? ...

Wrongful Termination?
Feb 14, 2011

Has anyone ventured towards anything like this?  I feel VERY strongly that I was wrongly terminated, but I really do NOT want to work for the company anyway, but with no income, I am not sure what to do.  I do not like the fact of them getting away with what they have done either... Anyone gone down this route or had any thoughts of it? I do not want to ruin future chances of me getting employment and wondering if this would lean towards that if I decided to proceed. I've never ...

Voluntary Termination
Apr 04, 2011

We just got an e-mail from our CCM warning us about sticking to our schedules, logging in on time and working our full shifts.  What was interesting, and that I didn't know, is that if we miss 2 consecutive days without notifying our CCM, it's considered "voluntary termination."  ...

Involuntary Termination?
Apr 27, 2012

Has anyone on this board ever received unemployment benefits after being involuntarily terminated from Medquist/MModal? ...

Impending Termination
Jan 08, 2013

Received an email today that said, in part, "due to an impending termination, extra coverage will be needed..."  If these aren't scare tactics, what are? ...

M*Modal Termination
Aug 15, 2013

After 20 years of service - M*Modal notified me today that I am not longer needed.  Since M*Modal took over, it has been a nightmare!!  After taking a paycut when Editing came on board and then being told that we would NEVER be getting raises ( - who tells their employees that????), GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!  They terminate US employees and keep all their offshore employees for lower salaries!  I was up to nearly $20.00 an hour, and then got bumped down to $13.00.  After the ini ...

Mmodal Termination
Aug 21, 2013

terminated by mmodal....am i able to collect or do i have to fight for it? ...

Just Got My Termination Letter, Was Let Go 08/15...
Aug 29, 2013

The return address was MModal in Morrisville, NC! Guess they have many offices. The letter was a standard, I'm-sorry-type...part-time position eliminated due to "restructure of Operations business model."  "This was a difficult decision...."  Still no one has called about the computer.  Out of habit, I still visit this site, though less frequently.  Seems things at MModal are just getting worse and I feel bad reading some of these posts.  I am starting to believe, t ...

Termination, I.e. Quitting.
Sep 17, 2014

Does anybody know where to find information about quitting, where it might state if you should 1 or 2 weeks notice?  ...

Sneeps - Re: Your Termination From SOAP
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious because I did see the ad that SOAP had posted and maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything in the ad about them supplying the computer.  I had a similar situation with using my personal computer to look stuff up on and the company computer for company stuff, but I have to agree, that it was a bit harsh on their part. I was just wondering why you were supplied a computer, if there was no need to use one of theirs. ...

SoftScript--anybody Else Threatened With Termination?
Feb 01, 2012

My QA score has always run about 12% (SS requires 8% or less to QA) since i started. My trainer told me I had a very difficult account and not to worry. Since then they hired a new producion manager and the percent to QA  has apparently become an issue. I generally get 99% to 100% on my QA score and an email thanking me for the great job (automatically sent, I know).  Today I got an email threatening termination if my score did not comply with the 8% by the next pay period. I know it c ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

What Is With All This Firing And Termination This Week...
Nov 04, 2012

People are being terminated without warning at M Modal, according to the board here.  People are being picked on at Nuance even more than usual by QC and supervisors.  These are the 2 biggest employers in the industry.  Why this now?  And most people only make minimum wage.  There can't be such a big economic reason for firing people who are paid so low with this kind of technical skill.  What is going on here... and why... thinking aloud, but ideas would be ap ...

Daily Termination Threats
Nov 15, 2012

Another perk of working for MModal, daily email threats of termination.  Wonderful for morale. ...

Got My Official Termination Letter.
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off last Friday.  Letter came today confirming discussion by phone that my part time position was eliminated and shipping labels will be sent. I can't tell you how nice it has been to not be an employee for this company.  It angers me to read posts of whatever they are now doing about NJA situation.  It's hard to believe we have had to put up with these kind of antics for so long.  It's stressful to read them even as a former employee!  But I f ...

Letter Today About Termination Of Kaiser Medical
Apr 02, 2010

Apparently they are making us switch to United Healthcare (probably cheaper I I think Kaiser is only in CA (???).   I really like my doctor at Kaiser but I guess I'll have to say good bye to her.  As for United, could anyone give me any info on this plan, whether you like it, what the insurance premiums are like for a single person, etc.  Any info appreciated :) Thanks!                     ...

Well, It Is Official. Received My Termination Letter Today.
Aug 02, 2013

This is it!  Been waiting for this letter in the mail since July 23 to make it official in my mind and received the boxes to return the CPU and monitor. I went to college with a degree in Medical Transcription/Medical Secretary (our TSMs have NO college degree).  I cannot believe I gave 26 years of my life by working every holiday, having 4 (5 day) vacations in 26 years, being employee of the month 3 times over the years, giving up family time and plans because I am scheduled to work, ...

Mmodal Inevitable Termination For Low Audit Scores....
Jul 14, 2014

Hi!  I was hoping for a little input.  I have been with Mmodal/Medquist/Spheris since 2005.  They have the new quality standards which seem to be out of reach for me. They want us to be at an unreasonable 99.7.  Even today, received last week's audit scores and one was 100% the other at 98.75.  I am on my 3rd corrective action for this and know I am at close to the end of my rope.  I actually would like to go back to school.  Has anyone been unintentionall ...

Anyone Experiencing HIPAA Violation Threats Of Fines/termination?
Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? ...

Termination "fee"
Sep 30, 2013

What company charges up to $250.00 (fee associated with startup, training time, etc.) if termination by either party occurs within the first 90 days? Seriously. ...

VR At Transcend
Nov 18, 2009

Did VR develop Alzheimer's?  It has lost everything.  I am tired of no commas, periods, and everything else it reverted back to since its infancy.  It is really true that now you can transcribe faster than you can edit.  Does anyone even care?  Do you know how many times you have to stop in the middle of labs to put in punctuation?   This has been going on for over a month and I haven't noticed any big push to get it fixed.  Just another way to m ...

MDI/Transcend Pay For ULD? M
Feb 01, 2010

Does anyone remember in the conference calls, mention of MDI/Transcend paying for unlimited long distance phone charges for employees?  I remember this being mentioned but can't recall all the details;  if it was for FT only, everyone, etc.  Does anyone remember details and if that still stands? ...

To MDI/Transcend MTs : Is Anyone Else
Feb 01, 2010

work today?  ...

Transcend TLs ??
Feb 08, 2010

I am curious as to if the TLs are meeting their requirements.  They are expected to type 75-80% of their time and get paid by the line as well .  I am very suspicious that they are not typing VR all day, having their work sent to India, etc, and are getting the straight typing.  They get paid a flat fee per month for their administrative duties on top of that.  I wonder if they are experiencing no work and looking at a blank screen most of their time& ...

Transcend MTs
Mar 03, 2010

n/m ...

Is There More Than One Transcend? I See Their
Mar 19, 2010

job ad on the Seeker's board and it sounds like a place I would like to work.  I work for a company also called Transcend, but they are not a place that I would recommend to anyone.  I haven't worked all week as there has been no work.  Just NJA. So maybe this Transcend is in a parallel universe.  It certainly could not be the same place where I'm employed.  ...

About Transcend
Mar 28, 2010

I have read dozens of posts on the board about Transcend, some good and a lot not so good.  However, I think there is an explanation for some MTs loving it there and others hating it so much. Transcend is a company made up of many other companies through mergers. The original Transcend who existed first, before acquiring other companies seems to be the problem.  On the other hand, for example MDI/Transcend, for the most part does not seem to fit that description. You have to remember ...