A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Firing good MTs - Jolly MT

Posted: May 07, 2010

Below someone commented that good MTs are let go.  That they see a trend.  That they project this is because the "older" MTs make more.

First, "good" MTs are not only or always "old" MTs.  Sometimes quite the opposite.

Second, what constitutes a trend?

Third, what kind of sense does that make?  If an MTSO is in business to make money, they need to get the lines typed.  More experienced MTs do not, as a general rule, get paid more money than less experienced but equal to talent MTs.  In order to stay in business, you need the lines typed.  Would it not make sense to have someone already trained and doing a good job be the one doing those lines, then to fire the "good" ones so they could hire less experienced people and then have to ramp up?

I agree there are some issues with MT at this point in time, but seriously this "they are out to get us" mentality is craziness.  MQ/Spheris/CBAY- don't go there to work.  Transcend if they freak you out cause they are so horrible- don't go there either.  The only "trend" I can see is a trend for MTs to be blaming everyone else for their situation instead of making their own situation better.

Yahoo! someone who speaks the truth and - not paranoia and negativity

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Totally agree - 40 years of experience

[ In Reply To ..]
In 40 years doing this work, I have never received more money because I had years of experience. I did get more money because my experience meant I could do whatever work there was--meaning I did not have to do only office notes or clinic or ERs but could do anything available. When I had my own small business it was the line rate I received that determined what I could pay. The only time I ever paid any transcriptionist less than another was when I had to do full QA until an MT was released to partial QA (filling in blanks and occasional reviews). Over those years, there were MTs that were just never going to get off QA and so I did let them go.verall

Reality is hiring and training is expensive, time-consuming (that is expensive too), and some companies may not recognize that or care but in my personal experience, much accommodation is made to keep a good transcriptionist working, producing, and making money for the company and for the MT.

I think it's a current trend of people not taking responsibility for themselves - Sign of the times

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's just a trend. People don't want to take responsibility for themselves. It's more 'comfortable' to blame others instead of doing whatever you need to do. 'Lazy' would be another term for it. It doesn't bode well for our country unless this is a shortlived trend. Personally, I'm ready for it to be over. I'm tired of all the whining.
The current trend is MTSOs not taking responsibility for - the havoc the wreak upon their workers, (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
and by their blind faith in AHDI that is wreaking havoc upon the entire transcription industry.
Amen - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
What the eff is the deal with so many people on this site who claim not to be management or related, who are so determined to try to tell everybody else on here that the sky is red, water is dry, and/or bears do not live in the woods? What are you guys smoking (and where can I get some)? All is not well in this industry, at least not on the MT end. The fact that 2 or 3 out of 100 of us are doing well enough to get by does not mean things are rosy for most transcriptionists or that the other 97 or 98 are whiners, lazy, crazy, or anything else--just in the majority.

JollyMT - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right on! I personally do not care what age an MT is--I do care that he or she knows their stuff. This matter of blaming is really disheartening. I want MTs who can take responsibility for themselves--there are many of them out there, thankfully. Sadly enough, there are also whiners, complainers, and people who only think of MTing as a built-in babysitter. I love children too, and have a large family, but I believe in appropriate boundaries between family and work. But yes, I do think you have called it correctly!

No, it doesnt make sense. But theyre doing it. - s/msg

[ In Reply To ..]
With all the cockamamie software we now work on, together with low-paid and/or third world QAs butchering our work, speed and quality discrepancies between newer and older workers have begun to vanish. Now the main difference between the two is pay rate, and the older MTs' often jaded view of the biz because they know they're being scr$wed.

Can you provide evidence of "old" MTs - being paid these wonderful rates

[ In Reply To ..]
Who is they?

I'm sincerely curious because my situation does not reflect this experience.

I am an older MT being paid a good rate - OldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
But I notice at my company that my work is gradually disappearing. My company has not lost my accounts and if anything, my accounts are busier than they have ever been.

But I also know that this work, even though it is there, is not available to me. It is being routed to newer MTs who hired on at a cheaper rate than they are paying me.

So I'm living proof.
So I'm living proof. - JollyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
At the risk of sounding contrary, and I imagine I might, how do you know? Did your MTSO say, "We're rerouting work because you cost too much?" I see your situation as one of conjecture. And if your MTSO DID tell you, then one has to wonder about his/her business sense.
This is not conjecture - OldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
What I said is absolutely true and is not conjecture on my part.

But after reading all your posts, it is my suspicion that you are are most likely in a management position somewhere. So I will respectfully decline to tell you exactly how I know this.

But it is definitely a fact. Much of the work that I had previously is being routed to the newer and cheaper MTs.
The only reason to do that is if they can get the same quality work for less money - That is the way business works
[ In Reply To ..]
The important thing is to keep upgrading your own skills so that you don't get left behind. If you are better and able to get more work done because you are an experienced expert, you'll keep the work. If they can get the same thing for less money and fewer hassles & headaches, of course they will. That's the way business works. If they can find MTs who do the work without griping and complaining, that saves them money too. We don't know what your particular situation is, of course, but it's never as simple as it first seems.

I think by "older", they didn't mean age - not old in years

[ In Reply To ..]
If you read that message about the trend of companies letting "older" MTs go because they tend to make more money, you will see that they followed that with the companies hiring "newer" MTs at lower rates.

So I don't think they were talking about AGE per se. It seems to me they were talking about "older" as in MTs who have been with the company for a longer time. And yes, those MTs do tend to make more money because they were hired in back when the MTSOs were paying their MTs more.

So if the company can get rid of their "older" MTs who were hired in at a higher rate, they can then replace them with "newer" MTs at today's lower rates.

And yes, I do see this type of thing happening in companies today.

What I said, not what you read - Jolly MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe I said "older" as in chronologic age, but in MT years is what I said.

And no, I'm not a "suit". I've been in the field of MT a very, very long time and worn just about every hat to be worn.

I've also done a personal study (as in hired by) 33 companies in the last 5 years and just have to say my observations don't support what seems to be the experience of a couple of people on this forum. When I apply, I usually hear something within 48 hours, even if it's just an email saying my resume was received.

As I stated earlier, I have 4 job offers this week alone, pay ranging from 8.5 to 11 cpl.

I'm not special. I'm a good MT but there are many who are much better than I am, I'm sure. I'm an "old" MT in that I have years of experience and can do anything put in front of me. I've taken jobs for varying points of pay so I can observe how work is routed, how management behaves, etc.

I realize some of you say you've been discriminated against because of your seniority in the MT field. I can't deny your reality, I can just say I haven't shared it.

Jolly can't hold a job? - Truth

[ In Reply To ..]

Jolly MT:  "I've also done a personal study (as in hired by) 33 companies in the last 5 years and just have to say my observations don't support what seems to be the experience of a couple of people on this forum. When I apply, I usually hear something within 48 hours, even if it's just an email saying my resume was received."

"As I stated earlier, I have 4 job offers this week alone, pay ranging from 8.5 to 11 cpl.
"

Is this a hobby of yours?   Why would anyone need to work at 33 different companies in 5 years and why are you looking for work now? 

Sorry Jolly but I don't find your statements credible.  I think you are management.  IF you are being truthful, what's up with having to have 33 jobs in 5 years and obviously you are still looking as you have had "4 job offers this week alone."  Why can't you keep an MT job? 

Keeping a job - Jolly MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Guess that did sound nuts, didn't it?

I'm working on an article regarding what MTSOs say they offer, what you get, how they rate with pay, treatment of their MTs.

I have an employer I've been with for many years that supports me just fine.

If I see a job listed, I apply. This allows me to see the testing procedure, hear from recruiters, and observe the hiring process.
I would like to read the article when you've finished it - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us read forums and we know that a lot of what is said is just silly. We look at the name-calling and outrageous complaints and accusations and we hear the whining. We develop a way to know if a person is credible or not. We don't believe everything we hear, because in many cases we have just one disgruntled person who posts over and over, using the same, easily identifiable communication skills. Their style and attitude speak louder than their words, and they lack credibility.

This is a really tough economy overall and our industry is no exception. There are some real problems, but I don't think they are the ones we see continued threads about. My own opinion is that there are people who have done very poor work and it is catching up with them because of the environment we live in right now.

I would enjoy reading your article when you've finished, to see what you have discovered in doing your research.
Article - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
So you are actually "wasting" their time by applying for all these postions for personal research work. One thing to consider - for every job you apply for and are not interested in accepting that is taking time away from them testing and interviewing serious job seekers. Just a thought - good luck with your article though.
Great point RLee - I suspect the research is bogus though - Why would someone do this?
[ In Reply To ..]
Personal research to write an article while taking jobs away from MTs? What's in it for Jolly? What market is there for research of this kind?

Just a thought - I don't think Jolly is credible.
On top of that - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
It seems that 5 years is a lot of time to write an article. I wonder if Jolly is getting paid for this type of reaearch and if not - like you stated - what is in for her??? Just sounds a little strange to me.
I suspect Jolly is an MTSO manager swiping at MTs - What a ridiculous premise
[ In Reply To ..]

The question now is how low will an MTSO manager/owner go and why do they feel the need to do it.  No way, no how does someone spend FIVE years doing research for a paper.  Jolly must think MTs are really, really stupid. 

Jolly should go back to clown school where she belongs.  Tongue out

I share your same thoughts -33 companies in 5 years??? - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
on Jolly MT's remarks. WOW - 33 companies in 5 years - that is quite a track record I would not be proud of. I may be unemployed at the moment, but I have only been with one national excluding Deventure and only worked in 2 different offices - one I might add for an extended period of time (17 plus years). Just a rebuttle about some of Jolly's remarks to a post I started this week. It's like calling the kettle black.

Trend is MTSO can pick and choose from MTs - Been there and done that

[ In Reply To ..]
There is an arrogance in certain companies because they know an MT can easily be replaced. They do not respect MT.

They "are not out to get us" - they just don't value us.

MTs cannot make their situation better as long as there are some who are willing to take their place at a lesser rate of pay (for example MTs in India) unless we suck it in when it comes to abuses by MTSO. You are living in an unrealistic dream world if you think MTs can do battle with companies who look at MTs as a dime a dozen, one size fits all and do not value us as people who bring income into their company.

There are companies who value excellence and the MTs who do excellent work - Just like anywhere else

[ In Reply To ..]
You always have and always will have the sleazes, but there also are companies with values. They do still exist. MTs who do good work make money for MTSOs and the wise MTSOs know that. Sure, there are the ones that don't care about anything but money, but there are also MTs who are sloppy and unmotivated. It's a two-way street. They deserve each other.

The best MTs working for the best MTSOs don't talk about it because they like it that way. They don't want the lazy MTs beating down their doors.

they also don't want MTs who want to make at least as much as they did a year or two ago... - dc

[ In Reply To ..]
...you know--like those lazy people in EVERY OTHER INDUSTRY ON EARTH expect.

Jolly is an MT???? - I think not

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, you sound like a manager. It simply MUST be the MTs fault. Bleh. Obviously you have not experienced the problems other MTs have experienced with the nationals and the smaller companies. You are part of the problem blaming MTs for the problems in the industry. I doubt very much you are an MT.

I'm not Jolly, but I know some 'experienced' MTs I would fire in a second if I could - People make their own trouble

[ In Reply To ..]
Rather than continuing to play victim, why not see if you can make things better for yourself by improving your skills. Start with your communication skills and attitude, which make you sound like you've chosen to lose. Not everyone has the same experience, and I prefer to be lumped in there with the winners.

LOL - you are lumped okay. - With MTSO management

[ In Reply To ..]
Lots of managers and supervisors should be fired too. When MTs are hired and let go the problem is management.

MTSOs certainly **do** fire older MTs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that Jolly MT must wear a suit, hard to believe that you're an MT.

MTSOs replacing "older MTs" with "newer MTs" and you automatically assume that means "old age MTs"? Maybe you should have read that as "employed at the company for a longer time MTs." And yes, that usually means that the MT is probably also a bit older in age too.

This business of firing the older (longer time) workers in order to hire newer (cheaper) workers is a problem. And it's not confined to just the MT industry. It's happening all over.

On another note, I'm over 50 and after I left a particular MTSO, I did get a letter from them that was asking me, among other things, to waive all of my legal rights under the Federal age discrimination laws. Of course I didn't sign it, as they had no business asking me to sign away my legal rights. But, what does that tell you?

MTSOs can and do fire older MTs. And some of them are worried enough about it to send a letter and hope that the MT is clueless enough to sign their legal rights away.

You are right on, Jolly MT. (sm) - Former National Manager

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTs who are let go are the ones who do not meet requirements (production, QA) and do not follow their schedules.

There is no reason to let go of a good employee who is making the grade.

Anyone who does not believe that has not been behind the scenes watching what is happening.

If you make your required lines, if you keep your QA where it should be, if you make your hours/schedule, you will stay in your job.

Uh-Oh, the Suits are ganging up on us - just an MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless Jolly MT is Former National Manager, in which case it's just a gang of one. They do seem to think an awful lot alike though.

I guess MTSOs really don't fire their older workers even if they do make more than the newly hired MTs. I'm sure they don't mind paying the higher wages at all.

I'm sure not Jolly or a former national manager but - I would hire the best regardless

[ In Reply To ..]
It wouldn't matter to me if it was an experienced MT who does quality work (not all of them do) or a newer one with some excellent skills. The job of an MTSO is to get the work out. It has to be quality work and it has to be done on time. A REAL experienced MT who can do quality work is an asset. An MT who has years of bad experience and does terrible work is a liability, and makes life miserable for everyone. I see quite a few of them represented on message boards involved in calling names and making accusations rather than looking to themselves to change their own personal work situation.

If I had my own MTSO, I would hire the best I could find, regardless of how experienced they were, and I would not keep the ones who use QA as their personal assistants rather than learning to transcribe work that can be sent out without having it redone by someone else. That's what I would do.

All industries are tightening up and MT is no exception - Victim Mentality Does Not Pay The Bills

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the problem may be that we have swarms of MTs who flooded the market because they wanted to work from home. That's fine. I have no problem with that. The problem is, they didn't get good training and do sloppy work. I have a problem with that, because the rest of us suffer because of them.

Now, we see a tightening up in our industry. Well, we see it in all industries, of course, but we see it in MT as the sloppy work is finally catching up with them. Rather than do something about it, they complain and turn into victims. Nobody did it to them. They did it to themselves.

How you are treated by an MTSO has a lot to do with whether you are an Employee - or an Independent Contractor

[ In Reply To ..]

@Jolly MT

In my opinion, you may be comparing apples and oranges. 

As with so many posts on this Board, a heated discussion ensues between people who are in actually relating totally different experiences.  I really wish people would state whether they are an Employee or an Independent Contractor when they present their “I have no work” or “I have more than enough work” statements.  There really is a huge difference. 

I believe most posters are referring to Employees as opposed to Independent Contractors.  In reality, they are apples and oranges.  “Older” refers to MTs who have been in the business or, more likely, with a particular company for several years (the 15+ years of experience MTs).  “Younger” would refer to MTs with less than 5 years of experience.  Age really has nothing to do with the issue – it is experience we are talking about. 

I have to assume you are an Independent Contractor.  If not, you win the prize for being the most job-hopping Medical Transcriptionist in history – you wrote:  “I've also done a personal study (as in hired by) 33 companies in the last 5 years.”  WOW – 60 months, 33 companies – average of less than 2 months at a company.  As an employee, you would have barely gotten used to the platform in that amount of time.  As such, you really have no background to state with certainty that “long-time” or “older” TMs are NOT being discriminated against – you never stay in one place long enough to know your fellow employees and why they are fired.

I also found your original statement interesting:  “Third, what kind of sense does that make?  If an MTSO is in business to make money, they need to get the lines typed.  More experienced MTs do not, as a general rule, get paid more money than less experienced but equal to talent MTs.  In order to stay in business, you need the lines typed.  Would it not make sense to have someone already trained and doing a good job be the one doing those lines, then to fire the "good" ones so they could hire less experienced people and then have to ramp up?”

You tend to forget we are not paid hourly.  The only one benefitting from “experience” which allows us to type more lines per hour is US – the MTSO could care less.  In reality, it does not change THEIR bottom line. 

Comparing Employee to Independent Contractor:

IC – (who are TRUE IC status)  They should be experienced enough to QA their own work.  Timekeeping is not necessary because there are no overtime issues to keep track of.  Invoices are prepared by the IC and sent to the MTSO.  Sick time and vacation time are usually the responsibility of the IC to cover.   If the MTSO charges the client $0.20 per line and pays the IC $0.10, the MTSO keeps 99% of the profit because of minimal operating costs.  The MTSO wants to keep “older” ICs because they have to deal with them less and can hire fewer of them because they do produce more lines per day each. 

Employee – State and Federal laws must be adhered to.  Timekeeping of some kind is usually implemented.  Human Resources additional expenses include payroll, keeping track of PTO time earned and used, unemployment, insurance (if offered), etc.  They have to deal with problem MTs (arrive late, leave early, abuse breaks, do not meet minimum line requirements, etc).  Human Resources/Payroll take a fairly large chunk of the operating costs when employees are involved.   However, at some point, it does not matter if the MTSO has 10 MTs or 10,000 MTs.  The system is in place and most of it is computerized. 

Another overhead is QA (who are usually paid hourly).  It does not matter if there are 10 MTs or 10,000 MTs, QA has to be there for audits.  It is unreasonable to assume that just because they have more experience, “older” MTs never send blanks to QA.  There are always new dictators or bad background noise that prevent even the best MT from hearing a word.   I also believe that many QA people transcribe if there is nothing to edit. 

BOTTOM LINE – the MTSO who has Employees is only looking at what they bill the Client.  To that end, it really does not matter to them if the lines are typed by 10 MTs or 10,000 MTs.  We all have seen plenty of complaints on the Board about overhiring so that TAT is almost immediate.  Does the MTSO care that MTs are running out of work?  Of course not. 

The MTSO charges the Client the same rate, no matter what they pay the MT. 

What makes more sense to you?

You are an MTSO and want to bill $10,000 a day.  You charge your client $0.20 per line.  You need your MTs to produce 50,000 lines per day.  Since QA is paid hourly, that overhead is already calculated into your minimum daily requirement in order to make the profit you want to make. 

Your options:

OPTION 1:

You hire 50 “older” MTs producing 1,000 minimum lines per day each, which will get you your 50,000 lines per day.  You pay your experienced MTs 0.09 per line.   Some may call in sick or request time off, so you need to make sure the others produce more than minimum lines to make up the difference.  TAT may become an issue, resulting in possible Overtime. 

Your Billing (50,000 lines x 0.20) = $10,000

Your Payment to the experienced MTs (50,000 lines x 0.09)  = $4,500

YOUR GROSS PROFIT:  $5,500

OPTION 2: 

You hire 100 “younger” part-time MTs, producing 500 minimum lines per day each.  You pay your less experienced MTs 0.07 per line.  Even if some call in sick, most already produce more than 500 lines per day, so no problem.  Plenty of MTs always working, so TAT is usually not an issue.  No Overtime ever needs to be paid. 

Your Billing (50,000 lines x 0.20) = $10,000

Your Payment to the less experienced MTs (50,000 lines x 0.07) = $3,500

YOUR GROSS PROFIT:  $6,500

Since we are paid by the line, being experienced and faster benefits us – it has no influence on the MTSO’s billing.  If you give the exact same dictation to an experienced MT and an inexperienced MT, in 9 out of 10 cases, the only difference in the final product is that the experienced MT will probably type it faster.  The inexperienced MT will take whatever time is required to research anything they do not understand.  Even if the report typed by the inexperienced MT ends up going to QA, the overhead for QA is already factored into the overhead of the MTSO. 

So, to answer your question:  “Would it not make sense to have someone already trained and doing a good job be the one doing those lines, then to fire the "good" ones so they could hire less experienced people and then have to ramp up?”

Actually NO – as far as the MTSO is concerned, it does not make any difference.  If anything, they would prefer the less experienced people if they can pay them less per line.  After all, they are not employing us so that we can have a comfortable living – they are employing us so that they can live in luxury. 

So, although there is no way to “prove” that MTSOs are not hiring or are actually firing employees who are “older” MTs, there is also no way to logically prove they do not discriminate.  As in all industries, there is age discrimination.  Why would anyone think Medical Transcription would buck that “trend” when it is evident everywhere else? 

JUST MY OPINION. 

Not 100% sure I agree with your logic but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that was a GREAT post, very well thought out, not emotional, and with detailed explanations.

Please... post more on this board.

Great post - Jolly worked 33 jobs in 5 years? LOL - 4 job offers this week?.

[ In Reply To ..]
Is Jolly bragging or complaining? What is up with job skills that Jolly would need to keep switching jobs?

You've misinpretreted Jolly's message and demonstrated that poor attitude we've been - Experienced MT But Always Learning

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, Jolly, for your excellent information.
What's Jolly's message? She worked 33 jobs in 5 years? - Has 4 job offers this week?
[ In Reply To ..]
I dunno for sure but it sounds like Jolly isn't credible or she has some issues doing MT work. I suspect she is management simply because no MT works 33 jobs in 5 years and is still looking for work.

I call Jolly a bogus poster who is probably a manager or she is flat out a Very Bad MT.

Who does this - 33 jobs in 5 years? 4 offers in a week. What a joke Jolly is. LOL.

Perhaps we should call her Jobby instead of Jolly? - Just Kidding (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks - Jolly MT

[ In Reply To ..]
for that well-thought-out reply.

In part, I agree with you. But just in part.

I've dealt with both "new" and "old" MTs. (I'm an "old" MT myself.) My cohorts are many MTSOs or once were MTSOs. While your logic sounds logical, there is so much more work that goes into having inexperienced MTs than experienced ones.

In my amateur study of MT companies, I've had no problems getting hired as an "old" MT (one with many years experience) and being offered, for the most part, not always, a comparable wage.

I've been hired as an employee and hired as an IC, so I've seen both sides of the coin.

My experience, and that of those I talk to on a daily basis, just does not support good/old/experienced MTs being fired UNLESS they were not doing their jobs.

A lot of them need to be fired - and will be as our industry continues to Transform - And it is about time they were fired

[ In Reply To ..]
We've had some very poor MTs for a very long time. Finally we're seeing some companies that are realizing that quality counts. I really believe that in a few years only the best will have jobs, and these will be the ones who can do it all, not just one specialty or just clinic or just discharge summaries or ER reports. All of it done well. That is the way I see it happening right now, and I'm a little glad about that. It's about time.
Back in the old days when a new boss came in they always cleaned up - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
The first thing that happened would be everyone would hate them and decide they wouldn't cooperate. They would all go to lunch and break together and plot against the new boss. A few people would just keep doing their job to the very best of their ability.

Then, the boss would call a meeting and announce that several people were let go. The boss would let everyone know that more people may be fired, and we all had a choice. We could choose to be part of the solution and do our jobs well and lose the 'attitude' or we could leave now. Some left. The rest of us had great jobs. I see that happening now.

Excellent Message! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you for this post - Really informative and articulate

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll confess that at first glance I was like "Too long, won't read," but the first couple of sentences grabbed my attention and I decided it was well worth my time to read.

I have no clue who you are, but you obviously have both business and common sense, and I hope you post more.

Thank you for sharing your obviously well-researched information with us.

MTSOs firing good MTs - here is why

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an "old" MT who makes 12 cpl and can produce 1500 lines per day, so the MTSO is paying me $180 per day.

Two "new" MTs can produce 750 lines per day and can be hired in at 8 cpl, so the MTSO is paying them $120 per day.

Same number of lines produced, but different pay. So which one do you think the MTSO is going to choose? If they choose the two "new" MTs at 8 cpl, the MTSO has just cut their costs by about 40%.

So this is why the MTSO is firing "old" MTs.

And anybody like Jolly MT who says it isn't happening is wrong because it IS happening.

Unless you use your valuable experience to make yourself more marketable - No victims here

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have something better to offer than they do, you win. The problem is, too many so-called experienced MTs are not producing as much better quality work as they might like to believe. Change that and you will be better positioned for the changes that have always happened, are happening, and will always happen in our industry. Make yourself more valuable. It's as simple as that.

Making an old MT more valuable - this is double-speak

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you management type people would stop trying to argue this and coming up with all kinds of excuses. Just exactly how would you propose for me to "make myself more valuable"?

I am an "old" MT and I do it all. All work types and all specialites, from little 1-doctor clinics to huge teaching hospitals and everything in between. I am an expert on ESL. Never had a QA score less than 99.7%. Able to work on multiple different platforms and systems, ASR included.

But even if the MTSO hires a new QA at 3 cpl to go along with those two "new" 8 cpl MTs that are replacing me, the MTSO will still come out ahead financially. Which means that I, the "old" MT, still gets fired.

So let me ask again, exactly what would you propose for me to "make myself more valuable."

It can't be experience or quality of work because I already have that. It can't be new technology skills because I'm already right there on the cutting edge. And it can't be flexibility because I'm probably the most flexible person you've ever met, able and willing to work everything from banker's hours to the late night shift and weekends.
More valuable - to them - sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
This sounds to me like MTSO double-speak for " take a pay cut " and you will be more valuable to ME (the MTSO).

Similar Messages:

Firing
Jun 14, 2011

Of all who were fired today from Medquist, are you full time or part time? ...

What Is With All This Firing And Termination This Week...
Nov 04, 2012

People are being terminated without warning at M Modal, according to the board here.  People are being picked on at Nuance even more than usual by QC and supervisors.  These are the 2 biggest employers in the industry.  Why this now?  And most people only make minimum wage.  There can't be such a big economic reason for firing people who are paid so low with this kind of technical skill.  What is going on here... and why... thinking aloud, but ideas would be ap ...

Okay So I Definitely Know Today Is My Day For Breakdown And Ultimate Firing
Apr 06, 2010

This is my end.  I have received back to back ESL horrible doctors that slowing down only obliterate more.   They absolutely know NOTHING in how to pronounce the simplest drug names, and have butchered it beyond control.  All from the same hospital from the south.  Now oncology notes and are whizzing past the difficult chemo meds so fast it is virtually impossible for ANYONE even Indians to decipher this garbage.  This on top of a major error MQ has made concerning ...

RE: DISABILITY AND HIRING/FIRING PRACTICES
Mar 20, 2014

Hi, I was just pondering something: This does not apply to me personally, but I was curious as to whether any company, say MModal, Nuance, etc. have ever laid off any disabled employees, like visually impaired, paraplegic, etc. due to quality of work or whatever. I was curious if they have employees who work for them who are disabled in this way and if they have ever terminated any of them, what kind of legal trouble could they make?   ...

CO Hospital Employees Threatened W/ Firing If They Don't Get Flu Shot
Oct 06, 2012

This makes me REALLY glad I am getting the hell out of health care!   These draconian measures are being implemented across the country.  Most require that ALL employees -- even those who work off-site and have zero patient contact -- receive the toxic injection or they will lose their job.    Check out the comments.  I was VERY heartened to see that the vast majority of them are by posters opposed to the mandate (several very educated MDs and RNs po ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT — But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including “the M,” and “the N” and (now to be included) “the T” following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

IMEDX Takeover...I Don't Have A Good Feeling About This. Does Anyone Have A Good Sm
Jul 07, 2012

experience with this company.  Sounds like they suck up our accounts and then pay us less than pennies to clean up the trash.  ...

Good Friday; Good Bye Spheris
Apr 02, 2010

Well Good Friday to me.  I left Spheris.  It is indeed the best Friday for me in a very long time.  I've had it with their lousy platform, Mafia QA (they try their best to kill your spirit), mandatory this, mandatory that, do this, don't do that, change this, don't change that; no, don't change this, don't change that, and on and on and on, and now their bankruptcy.  No PTO for the next 4 months to keep the clients satisfied during ...

Good Bye MT
Nov 02, 2009

I so look forward to these last 5 years going by fast:  Going back to college to get a  degree and walking away from MT never looking back.  If it wasnt for paying for my schooling, I'd be out of this by now.  If things get too bad I'd consider cutting lunch meat, stocking shelves at the neighborhood grocery store, whatever.  The only up side to my 10+ years of doing MT work has been able to stay home for my kids and making pocket change.&nb ...

Is This Good Pay Or Bad Pay???
Nov 11, 2009

.50 to .75 a page for legal for corporate: .40 to 1.00 per minute 0.0030 or 0.0040 per word.   I am so confused on whether this is good pay or not...help!     Thank you ...

Is This Good New Or Not?
Feb 17, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/02/15/daily9.html DO YOU THINK BELOW ARTICLE MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH SOME OF US MT'S SENDING IN EMAILS TO THAT ONE POST MENTIONED A WEEK AGO TO A REPORTER?  A Massachusetts company says proposed procedures for selling the assets of bankrupt Spheris Inc. are unfair and discourage others from bidding on the Franklin-based medical transcription company. Nuance Communications Inc., a maker of speech recognition software, fi ...

Who Is MQ ASR Good For?
Jul 01, 2010

Makes no difference that I know of to the dictator.  Doesn't save him or her any money. Probably a negative for the patient, as I sincerely believe there is a bigger chance of their medical record being less than accurate. Sure is not a plus for us MT/ME's, except those extremely few who seem to have the right account, I would venture a guess of about 5% of us.  The only positive I see is to the client.  They are getting lied to, that if they go with ASR, it is such a g ...

Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get A Good
Apr 03, 2010

I have a trial version now, and I need it in 5 days.  Is it better to download from a website or get the "hard copy" and install?  I don't have a lot of money to spend. ...

GOOD BYE ALL!!!!!
Jun 23, 2011

IM   D O N E  with all this at mtstars !!!! ...

I Can't Be THAT Good!
Oct 13, 2010

Y'all are freaking me out!  All this talk about PM and being watched when uploading or downloading a job, etc. etc. etc.  I am only a lowly second-tier MT.  I have been corrected a lot and it's all valid -- or an opinion based correction.  All my corrections have fallen in the minor minor category, but the way y'all talk you'd think I'd be let go by now.  OMG people!  Our QA person just transferred to some other department, and I suspect all ...

Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Say
Mar 19, 2011

At least they bothered to get back to me.   ...

Trying To Be A Good MME
Jun 11, 2011

I have been an MT for 8 years before moving up to the MME position recently.  I told myself that I would never nitpick as I experienced in the past.  I still hold true to that.  We are to only fill in the blanks unless we note an obvious error, then its full QA, except we get paid the fill-in-the-blank line rate rather than 100% QA line rate (3 cpl rather than 4).  However, if we fill in the blank and NOT catch an error that is caught on the MTs audit, we get clobbered ( ...

So Far So Good...
Sep 22, 2011

So I'm the new employee that posted a week or so ago. So far things are going good. Still in training so we will see. I do love the software and since I'm new, ASR is really the only thing I know, so I enjoy it. By the way the comedy stop section is histerical...it's a great way to end the week:) ...

Good-bye.
Dec 02, 2011

The obvious but the only thing that comes to mind now. ...

Something Good...
Dec 14, 2011

awhile back, i had posted about how MQ had taken over the company that i worked for and cut our pay in half...well, i am very happy to say that today, they they reinstated to almost what we were making, and are making it retroactive... ...

I'm Getting Out Of The MT Biz For Good!
Jan 20, 2012

After struggling financially and being increasingly unhappy with my job for three years (yes, only three years) I am officially DONE with MT work. I have other skills that would be more fullfilling to pursue and i'm going to do it. Honestly, i'd settle for a job at a grocery store at this point. At least i'd have a steady paycheck. I don't know if it's just me, but the monotony of this job makes me crazy. Just doing the same thing all day, every day, no socialization, QA ...

Oh Man, Not A Good Day When You Get An
Apr 13, 2012

22 letters long with more than its fair share of P's and J's who doesn't speak English dictating for 10+ minutes for your first report of the day.  ...

Anybody Else Have Good
Aug 27, 2012

ITS HORRIBLE and you are barely making your lines for that night?  This is like clockwork.  I will have a good day of dictation, speakers that actually make sense eventhough the VR still stinks and high line counts...the very next day, I am stuck with the worst speakers out there and barely get anything done and line counts to make you cry.  Is this just me by coincidence or anybody else have this issue too?? ...

All The Good Ones Are Gone Now.
Jan 08, 2013

I had been feeling so fortunate, getting mostly good dictators in recent months, but now, in the past couple of weeks, all I'm getting are dictators with thick accents with bad sound quality and static or female dicators with high-pitched, monotone voices that are like fingernails on a chalk board. I keep thinking it's a temporary phase, but there seems to be not much let up. It's so discouraging. I hope to see the day when all this overseas outsourcing comes to a halt with new ...

Anything Good Or Bad To Say About TTS
Jul 29, 2013

I am wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about TTS, and is their voice recognition program pretty good?  Thanks ...

Not A Good Day
Oct 02, 2013

I am not having a good day today.   Come to think of it, I have not had a good day  in a long time.   I seem to have a blank in every report lately and pretty sure my QC coach is getting on my nerves!!!   Hate to be negative, but can't help it.   I should change my alias to Debbie Downer!!! ...

How Sad It Is To Be So Good At Something
Oct 18, 2013

I could do MT in my sleep.  I fill in blanks with almost a 100% completion rate.  My QA scores are excellent.  Any specialty, name it, I know it.  And yet I'm embarrassed to tell anyone what I do because NOBODY CARES ANYMORE.  And I can't find a job doing anything else either. There just aren't any jobs that really require this skill.  It's just sad.  I wish I had learned to anything besides this. ...

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Nov 19, 2013

I got notice via e-mail that I didn't provide ADT information for a report and now the report is removed from my work pool. I've done this account for 6 years. THEY WANT ME GONE!  I've never been told anything about this and to have an account removed is HUGE.  I have no choice but to quit and find some other means of income. NUANCE SUX the BIG ONE! ...