A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Well, it is official. Received my termination letter today. - Maverick

Posted: Aug 02, 2013

This is it!  Been waiting for this letter in the mail since July 23 to make it official in my mind and received the boxes to return the CPU and monitor.

I went to college with a degree in Medical Transcription/Medical Secretary (our TSMs have NO college degree).  I cannot believe I gave 26 years of my life by working every holiday, having 4 (5 day) vacations in 26 years, being employee of the month 3 times over the years, giving up family time and plans because I am scheduled to work, but having no jobs to type or getting paid for it, missing out spending time with my mom while she was in the hospital for 3 weeks and then later died because I had to work by getting the line counts in, getting 3 raises during the 26 years and only to be grandfathered in and lose all my raises, constantly looking at the computer to see if there is work (even at 1:00-4:00am) so I can type a report here and there during the feast and famine to try and keep up line counts or hours.

I thought I would cry upon receiving this letter, but I am numb by it all.  I just cannot BELIEVE I allowed myself to wast half my life for this company. I was smart and went back to college a few years ago and now I have something to fall back on... THANK GOD!  

My husband said IT'S ABOUT TIME this happened because he has been through it all with me and this company. He said I would have stuck it out to the end because of how loyal I am and it is the company's loss, not mine. This company just sucks, he says, and he tells everyone how bad MTs are treated.  

My daughter stated when I told her the news....... YAY!!!!  YOU'RE FINALLY FREE!!!! OFFICIALLY!!!! WE NEED TO CELEBRATE!!!  YAY!!!!!

omg... that sounds just like my life at mmodal - just not laid off yet

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also not in school yet. I was told that if I was already in school when the lay off happened, I wouldn't get TAA to pay for school. But... everything else is just like you. Weekends, holidays, missing life, working around the clock...

I have a feeling I will wait to get TAA and something will happen that I wont, and I will be double screwed.

I had the same concerns about TAA. - In school anyways

[ In Reply To ..]
I decided not to wait on the government processing anything in a timely manner and bit the bullet and started a program. I did not want to wait until the next session of the program and put all my eggs in their basket.

Here I am again, sitting with NJA today again. I can't even decent afford clothes if I got a job outside the house.

Consider today the best day of your life. SM - Mirabel

[ In Reply To ..]
Amazing you received a letter. I just received a phone call and some didn't even receive that. This happened to me 4 months ago. I knew it was coming. I'm now on SS and Medicare and couldn't be happier. No more sleeping pills.

You're going to feel numb for a while. That's normal. I had the same feeling I had when I divorced my ex-husband after 27 years. I wanted the divorce; it was just that I knew, at that moment, everything in my life had changed and there was no going back. You'll get used to it in a few weeks and, believe me, you will become a new person. I'm really happy for you.

By the way, I worked for Edix/Spheris/MModal for 16 years. The last few were a living heck. Yes, I made line count, never took time off, did all report types, but I was at top pay and worked M-F.

I'm so sorry it ended like this, but this IS the - beginning of the rest of your life. Enjoy!. :) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Congratulations! This is the best thing - that could happen to you.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am waiting for my turn, but so far no luck. I think I will feel like one of the flying monkeys who were liberated when the Wicked Witch of the West died!

I was looking at Glassdoor today and even a lot of the Indians hate MModal (one said working there was like "suicide"). Vern got a 0% approval rating, and Duncan will probably end up with even less than that.

terminated or laid off? - if terminated why?

[ In Reply To ..]
just trying to watch my back in case there is something i need to be doing...besides going back to school!

Laid off. TSM stated I was an excellent employee. - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
TSM is letting me use her as a reference for future jobs, although I will never work as an MT ever again. TSM could not figure out why a bunch in her group were laid off/let go as she put it. It was as if company drew straws or something. TSM afraid for her own job too. The account I was recently moved too was overstaffed and I kept running out of work. It does not matter what you do, you are an AT-Will employee.

MT - Stephanie

[ In Reply To ..]
Why were you terminated? Please see my post earlier today....I'm looking into an attorney....

Thank you everyone for EVERYTHING! - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]

I just have to get used to the new normal. 

Oh!  For years and years I have stated to all my managers throughout the years....THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO! 

I cannot believe this company currently uses MY SLOGAN.  That is my saying and I am claiming it!  THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO EVERYONE!  You are the best and hang in there.  I WISH ALL OF YOU GREAT HAPPINESS IN LIFE AND TO BE STRESS FREEEE!!  Smile

Stress-free living - Cheela

[ In Reply To ..]
It gives me encouragement to realize that apparently being an MT at home with these horrible offshore companies brings about enormous stress. My husband tells me that he's seen me age 10 years since we married in 2007 due to this job, and I'm on-site and paid by the hour! There obviously has been a long, ongoing agenda to outsource our Transcription Dept. In hindsight, I too feel I've thrown away possibly the best years of my life working for unthankful, hostile and money-worshiping upper management. Now I don't have to take their obvious dislike of me personally anymore. When their object of worship is MONEY, everything besides money is dispensable. I'm looking forward to experiencing some of that "stress-free" living after the lay-off on Sept. 17th..or so I'm told unofficially. 8:)

I am so sorry if you are going to be laid off Sept 17th. - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
Be thankful you have an idea of the timing if it really happens. I had no warning of being let go. None at all. Just a phone call out of nowhere.

Yes, you will be stress free from MModal. You and your husband both. So sorry you have to go through it in the office. Yes, the higher ups are beyond being greedy!
Cheela's layoff warning to Maverick - Cheela
[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Maverick,
Thanks for your condolences. I'm not sure which is worse; being told I'm being laid off on Good Friday with NO idea of the actual lay-off date (the Sept. 17th still isn't official, so can't go to UE yet), or being suddenly told, like you were, out of the blue. I've never worked for MModal. That's the "alternative to being laid off" the hospital is giving us. I did experience a similar shock in 1988, though, when my now ex-husband WAS called out of the blue and fired for reasons he never would tell me. It affects the whole family. Now, these huge lay-offs are affecting America and the WHOLE WORLD. It's a very sorry state of affairs.

Lay-off - Stephanie

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm reading that a lot of people are getting lay-off notices from M-Modal. What is the reason? When I started, they overhired people, then fired a bunch of people due to poor performance, that is when I finally got some work. But they are screwing me over as well, but I still have a job.

According to my - TSM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a horrible, incompetent slacker, and I can't get laid off or fired to save my soul. Go figure.

You are not a horrible incompetent slacker. - No one needs to be told this.

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not believe it for one minute and nobody has the right to say anything like that to you.

We should all celebrate with you - by quitting simultaneously. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
--

You are too sweet! What you could do - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
You all should seriously look into a Union. You all need to stick together. On Facebook, Debbie started Proud to be a medical transcriptionist. She has a video of herself explaning what she talked about to the Joint Commission for 30 minutes. There were 3 on the phone from the Joint Commission who had no idea there were still medical transcriptionists and exactly what do we all do. The doctor on the phone thought the reports were done by voice recognition such as Dragon and then the report was printed out and only knew what happens to report from the beginning and the end, but had NO IDEA MTs are actually editing the reports.

Nurses are now being laid off in my area which is not good. Providence alone had 91 nurses let go a few days ago. Things are changing in the medical field and you all need to stand together and fight for your job, pay, benefits, and especially how MTs are treated.

Thank you!

Maverick I understand - MTNorth

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work full-time and have been part-time for 10 years now. I too had to work when my mother was in the nursing home at the end of her life. I left her to go home and work because I was too afraid to call in and lose my job. I told her I would be back when I was done working that night but she died an hour after I left. Will never forgive myself for letting her die alone. This job has been the most stressful job I have ever had. I really hate this job and hate even more that I feel stuck here for a few extra dollars.
Don't be too hard on yourself... - (see msg)
[ In Reply To ..]
I've heard that frequently people who are dying "hold on" while their loved ones are with them, wanting to spare them from their final breath, etc. I would likely be that way, myself. It was that way with my mother. I was able to go see her one last time, a few days before she died, but like you, had to get back and keep on working. She understood this; she wouldn't have wanted me to have further loss of money, or even a job on her conscience. So, a few days later, my sister who was the main caretaker due to her proximity to my mother, was with her on her last night. Mom kept hanging in there. Finally my sister went home to catch a couple hours' sleep, and was going to come right back. But as soon as she left, my mom let herself pass on.

It may have been that way with your mom, too - so don't blame yourself. We do the best we can, which is all we can do. And I just think that many people want the end of their lives to be private.

Take care,

-MTBankAccount
Thank you - MTNorth
[ In Reply To ..]
That really does make me feel better. Knowing my mother, that is something she would have to done to spare me. thanks again.
that was so nice, and so very true - love this place
[ In Reply To ..]
There are some very kind and gracious people on these boards.
You are a good daughter - mom2huskies
[ In Reply To ..]
She knew that you loved her. Please do not be too hard on yourself. You had no control over when she passed.
I am so sorry! - Maverick
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the other posts. Your mom probably would not have gone with you being with her. My mom died the same way, alone at 3am. I was busy typing for this stupid company because of fear of losing my job and went to bed around 2am. Then I woke up wide awake just before 3am and at 3:15am, I got the phone call from the hospital. She was 57 yrs old.

You and I did the best we could for our moms. :) Our moms know we loved them and cared for them by being with them in their final days.
thank you mom2huskies and maverick - MTNorth
[ In Reply To ..]
I so appreciate your kind words :o)

Similar Messages:

Got My Official Termination Letter.
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off last Friday.  Letter came today confirming discussion by phone that my part time position was eliminated and shipping labels will be sent. I can't tell you how nice it has been to not be an employee for this company.  It angers me to read posts of whatever they are now doing about NJA situation.  It's hard to believe we have had to put up with these kind of antics for so long.  It's stressful to read them even as a former employee!  But I f ...

Letter Today About Termination Of Kaiser Medical
Apr 02, 2010

Apparently they are making us switch to United Healthcare (probably cheaper I I think Kaiser is only in CA (???).   I really like my doctor at Kaiser but I guess I'll have to say good bye to her.  As for United, could anyone give me any info on this plan, whether you like it, what the insurance premiums are like for a single person, etc.  Any info appreciated :) Thanks!                     ...

Received Denial Letter Today
Mar 21, 2014

Noon EST ...

FYI Received Coding Denial Letter Today Noon
Mar 21, 2014

oh well ...

Just Got My Termination Letter, Was Let Go 08/15...
Aug 29, 2013

The return address was MModal in Morrisville, NC! Guess they have many offices. The letter was a standard, I'm-sorry-type...part-time position eliminated due to "restructure of Operations business model."  "This was a difficult decision...."  Still no one has called about the computer.  Out of habit, I still visit this site, though less frequently.  Seems things at MModal are just getting worse and I feel bad reading some of these posts.  I am starting to believe, t ...

Former MDI/Transcenders - Oddity On W2 Received Today
Feb 02, 2011

On line 12b there is an amount (which is actually my total income minus the social security and medicare withholding) with a "W" code.   The "W" code is associated with employer contributions to a HSA (which didn't happen).  Anyone else see this on their W2? ...

Letter From Lawyer Today -- Re Transcend
May 24, 2013

The letter offers me to join in a lawsuit against Transcend.  Have you received one, and if so, if you plan to join the lawsuit, would you share your reasoning?  Do you think one might be "blacklisted" for joining such a lawsuit?  Also, I do not understand how they can sue Transcend if it is now part of Nuance?  ...

Letter In My File Today...this Is So Depressing.
Jun 20, 2015

Hi all my fellow MTs:)  I was given a letter of reprimand, informal warning, that I signed in too early, I think it was 10 minutes early, because the day before I had logged in 7 minutes late, yet they told me it was okay to go over at the end of the shift, just don't log in early.  Now, I have that letter in my file (my first notice).  I also have not gotten a good line count because I have been OOW almost every day of the week, yet they assured me they were working on somet ...

Happily Sent My Letter Of Resignation To SS Today. I Do Note Sm
Feb 09, 2011

that their current ad no longer promises an abundance of work ... finally .. truth in advertising!  LOL   Happy Days are here again ... lalalala ...

In The Mail Today I Got A Letter Stating I Was Eligible For A Pell Grant.
Apr 21, 2010

I had to look up what it was because I had never heard of it.  Turns out they are given to poor folks.   I don't know what made them send it to me but it does have my name on it so I know it is for me.   They must know I work at Transcend.  It is only good for vocational training, cannot be for more than one year and must focus on skills necessary for securing entry level employment.  I don't know what direction to go in from here.  I ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

I Need The Latest Official Ruling On A-fib!
Mar 25, 2011

I like a-fib, since I don't see a logical reason to capitalize the "A", but maybe there shouldn't be a hyphen?  ...

Anyone Know The Official Number Of Hours
Sep 16, 2013

I was told we would be paid for the downtime we had the other day and that we would hear from someone about the number of hours, but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know? ...

Official Notice Of Bankruptcy
Mar 21, 2014

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/mmodal-files-bankruptcy-protection?topic=76,02,08 ...

It's Official - Read It On MQ Central - No More CTLs
Dec 11, 2009

They are all being replaced (I think 400 as  remember) with Regional Team Leads who will cover nights and weekends when the CCM is off.  I think the CTL position came and went in only 6 months.  Is that a record? ...

It Is Official....check The Spheris Website.
Feb 04, 2010

Spheris is filing bankruptcy, entered into agreement to sell assets to Medquist-CBay.   I was sent copy of the letter sent out to the employees, though I have no idea why.  Have not worked for Spheris for over 8 years. ...

First Official Day Of Working Full Schedule With
Jan 17, 2012

Transcend.  Not sure how I'm gonna like 2nd shift, but sometimes you just do what you gotta' do.  ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Gov Website-sign It!
Nov 03, 2011

Go to this official gov website and sign petition to keep our jobs here!  This is important. Stand up and speak!   http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Government Petition Link!
Nov 03, 2011

Here's the official government link for those who are sick of the whining about losing jobs to India via the Q and want to do something about it!  All you naysayers, do something or stop whining about it.  We need lots of votes, so please go vote and stand up! PLEASE!   http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Keep Our Jobs In America Official Gov Website For Petition-sign It!
Nov 03, 2011

Here is the official website to sign petition to keep our jobs in America-everyone needs to sign it, we need lots of votes-HELP and SIGN! http://wh.gov/TFH ...

Immediate Termination????
Nov 03, 2011

We just got an e-mail saying that for anyone working on Abington Hospital (not mine thankfully), an incorrect cc will be cause for immediate termination!!! Whoa . . . talk about looking for a reason to get rid of us!  That's insane!  I feel really sorry for any of you who have that account. MQ is the worst. ...

Termination
Feb 27, 2013

I just got terminated today after working for over 2 years with no problems with quality.  All of a sudden they kept auditing me and for sure they found 1 error that would be the reason for my terimination.  Has anyone else been terminated? Spoke to the operator to return my equipment and she said she has a long list of people that were terminated and she was sure that she could find my name on that list. .  Can a company have you submit vacation time because they have no work for ...

Termination For Using Expanders?
Nov 06, 2009

Did anyone get the message today that using expanders over 75 characters will result in immediate termination? ...

Termination/Transcend
Feb 17, 2010

Well finally the game has ended.  I was informed by my TL last evening that Transcend thought it was best that we part ways.  She stated I was putting hardly any hours in during my "scheduled hours" while there was work available to me (what a joke).  She tried to paint a picture that there was work available to me over the last pay period, but I was not working any hours and basically it was my fault.  My response to  her was unfortunately every time  I l ...

Wrongful Termination?
Feb 14, 2011

Has anyone ventured towards anything like this?  I feel VERY strongly that I was wrongly terminated, but I really do NOT want to work for the company anyway, but with no income, I am not sure what to do.  I do not like the fact of them getting away with what they have done either... Anyone gone down this route or had any thoughts of it? I do not want to ruin future chances of me getting employment and wondering if this would lean towards that if I decided to proceed. I've never ...

Voluntary Termination
Apr 04, 2011

We just got an e-mail from our CCM warning us about sticking to our schedules, logging in on time and working our full shifts.  What was interesting, and that I didn't know, is that if we miss 2 consecutive days without notifying our CCM, it's considered "voluntary termination."  ...

Involuntary Termination?
Apr 27, 2012

Has anyone on this board ever received unemployment benefits after being involuntarily terminated from Medquist/MModal? ...

Impending Termination
Jan 08, 2013

Received an email today that said, in part, "due to an impending termination, extra coverage will be needed..."  If these aren't scare tactics, what are? ...

M*Modal Termination
Aug 15, 2013

After 20 years of service - M*Modal notified me today that I am not longer needed.  Since M*Modal took over, it has been a nightmare!!  After taking a paycut when Editing came on board and then being told that we would NEVER be getting raises ( - who tells their employees that????), GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!  They terminate US employees and keep all their offshore employees for lower salaries!  I was up to nearly $20.00 an hour, and then got bumped down to $13.00.  After the ini ...

Mmodal Termination
Aug 21, 2013

terminated by mmodal....am i able to collect or do i have to fight for it? ...