A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Termination for using expanders? - sasha1

Posted: Nov 06, 2009

Did anyone get the message today that using expanders over 75 characters will result in immediate termination?

Expanders - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not receive a message about this at all. What region are you in? Did it come the MQ or CCM,CTL?

That would be absolutely outrageous! All of us have at least one sentence some horrible dictator says every time. It doesn't make any sense to bust us for expanders when some accounts have standards for an entire report! Its ridiculous.

Expanders - Ridiculous

[ In Reply To ..]
I use so many expanders that I'd probably use 75 in a long paragraph. Are they talking about using 75 expanders all together or 75 characters in expanders all together?

It really confuses me. - I just read it.

[ In Reply To ..]
I was TAUGHT, although it was a long time ago, to make my own "normals" to save time on ROS and PE formats that I type frequently. What's the big deal? I really don't understand. I still listen to the whole report. Are they afraid that we will not change it for each patient? Expanders help us get the reports done faster.

WEs - Stupid

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe they feel it's an unfair advantage for us compared to the Indians because they can't figure out hwo to do it. >:-(

Same message... - Birdylove

[ In Reply To ..]

I was just coming on to post about this and see if anyone else had received this message today.  Of course, I had to spend 10 minutes ranting about it first, while my poor daughter listened and nodded sympathetically.  Wink

I think this is absolutely ridiculous!  Am I now supposed to spend my own time redoing all of my expanders?!?  

Wasn't there a "helpful" MQ tip at some point about pulling standards you frequently use into your own expander and renaming them?  Seems like they would be well beyond 75 characters!

I'm wondering if they are going to go into our personal expanders and find those longer than 75 words (and I'm sure we all have them) -- seems like an easy way to reduce the number of employees... 

DQS expanders - shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't get the letter about that, but since I do mostly ASR, my "big" expanders are pretty useless. This sounds like yet another way to slow us down and decrease our income. I wonder how they plan to enforce this latest atrocity?

For those who use MQ computers - I'm curious. Do the computer come to you from MQ or directly from Dell (or whatever brand they use)? If it comes from MQ, I wouldn't trust it to not be tampered with somehow so they can have access to what's on it.

I turned off the DQS expanders and use my own expander software. Catch me if you can!

What software to you use? - Instant Text?

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you use Instant Text? I have it but haven't bothered to get used to it because I have such a large WE dictionary (but no one specific WE had more than a few words).

All I have to say is that their software belongs to them and they can look at that but they best not be looking at the other web sites I visit, pug web sites, political web sites, football web sites, medical web sites, what books I order etc. They don't need to know about me pouring my heart out about my beloved pug I had put to sleep or that I think certain players on NFL teams stink.
I'm sorry for your loss - Dinosaur
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry to hear you lost your little one. I have gone through this myself and it is a very difficult thing. If you haven't already, you should visit the Rainbow Bridge website.
Don't like IT and the Bridge - shipwrecked
[ In Reply To ..]
I have Instant Text too, and don't have the time or patience to learn it. I use Short Cut, and like it.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved pug. Been down that road a few times too, and it's devastating. I guess living alone and working at home, my two dogs are my family.

Petloss.com is also a wonderful website, and they have an awesome Monday night candlelight ceremony, where you can add your dog to their weekly list and then attend the ceremony.

A favorite quote by Irving Townsend: "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to acccept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immotality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
That is a beautiful quote. - Dinosaur
[ In Reply To ..]
That was beautiful Shipwrecked. Below is the poem The Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Makes me cry - shipwrecked
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a laminated copy of that on my fridge. It's so beautiful. Here's one I have framed in my bedroom - words I try to live by...

A Dog’s Plea
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown

That one made me cry too. - Dinosaur
[ In Reply To ..]
That one tugs at your heart strings too.

WEs - Rolling Eyes

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, your poor kids and my poor dogs. Sometimes I've ranted so much they've come over to lick my face to try and make me feel better.

Could it be a matter of space/bandwidth? Do they want us to cut down on our WE dictionary? I mean, I have things like drug names capitalized in there - it's a twofold purpose - 1. it's easier not to have to capitalize. 2. easier to remember brand names vs. generics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're going into our expanders. They have ways of knowing exactly how long we spend on our keyboards throughout the day while in MQ too.

What region? - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't get this memo. What region received it? Who was it from? I am in region SA2.

Thanks

75 characters is just a tad over ONE LINE. Are they crazy? - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
Well we know the answer to that one.

that is crazy..sm - gladitssaturday

[ In Reply To ..]
That is just crazy to put out a memo like that. Without expanders production will go down. Sounds like a two-fold purpose, production goes down, they pay out less and production goes down, you are not making line counts. Come on, really? Ugh.

As for them knowing what you are typing, etc. They have keylogging software on every MQ computer, except maybe the very old ones if they are still out there, they do know what you type. I was in 2 conference calls concerning that in 2007. If you have instant text you can import your DQS expander to instant text. That might be helpful for somebody looking for another job, do that before you quit MQ so you have your expanders for the next job. Instant Text can take some getting used to but you can use it similar to PRD if you are more used to that style.

I use Shorthand rather than MQ's expander anyway. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Shorthand is my property & they have no business what I enter into it anyway. These people know NOTHING about medical transcription.

it does not matter what expander sm.. - they can count strokes

[ In Reply To ..]
they can see what was transcribed on the page. For instance you have a normal for Dr. Smith. You type /smith and instant text or shorthand the DQS expander expands out a whole report or a paragraph or whatever. MQ can see what you transcribed was /smith but what is on the final document is something else. Therefore they know you used an expander. They can also count keystrokes versus actual characters just like your expander program does to show you productivity savings.

Any company who threatens to fire you over using an - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
expander doesn't know squat about the MT biz.

75 plus character expanders - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I just checked my E-mail - nothing about this. Is it just your region? Was it put out by your CTM or who?

Who sent this out, MQ or your CCM? - What?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not gotten an email about this. If I do, I guess my part time job will become my full time job in a hurry. If they are looking for a way to dump the U.S. MTs without having to pay unemployment, they found it. Wow

expanders - sasha1

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in SA5, and the message was sent by CCM and CTL. Just got another message that it's "to avoid canned reports" inserted into the document rather than what the dictator said. WTF. We would get fired and put into performance MGT for typing something wrong anyway---? Absolute craziness! Just plain weird. They probably figured out it's easier for us to do and we make more money hitting F11 and using our own expanders rather than trying to edit their ASR garbage.

and... - sasha1

[ In Reply To ..]
It's supposedly being mandated by the client, who happens to encompass every single account (HUGE group) in our area, the only client grouping that hasn't gone to India. Since when can a client mandate what happens to MQ employees?
I am also in SA5, but no email about it - What?
[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like the same accounts as I am in, a HUGE group beginning with the letter C (state C also) that does not offshore. Is this the same as yours?
yep, same as me - sasha1
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

what if... - Gonzo

[ In Reply To ..]
What if I just broke my huge expanders into multiple less-than-75-character mini expanders and typed then sequentially? DrWhoExp1 then DrWhoExp2, etc. A little more work, but not as much as typing everything out again.

I don't see why we are punished for the Q hiring anybody with internet and a HS degree who end up being lazy and can't do the job right.

Termination for using expanders - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
Its scarry how they would know how many expanders you use. Big Brother is watching you it seems.

Similar Messages:

Immediate Termination????
Nov 03, 2011

We just got an e-mail saying that for anyone working on Abington Hospital (not mine thankfully), an incorrect cc will be cause for immediate termination!!! Whoa . . . talk about looking for a reason to get rid of us!  That's insane!  I feel really sorry for any of you who have that account. MQ is the worst. ...

Termination
Feb 27, 2013

I just got terminated today after working for over 2 years with no problems with quality.  All of a sudden they kept auditing me and for sure they found 1 error that would be the reason for my terimination.  Has anyone else been terminated? Spoke to the operator to return my equipment and she said she has a long list of people that were terminated and she was sure that she could find my name on that list. .  Can a company have you submit vacation time because they have no work for ...

Termination/Transcend
Feb 17, 2010

Well finally the game has ended.  I was informed by my TL last evening that Transcend thought it was best that we part ways.  She stated I was putting hardly any hours in during my "scheduled hours" while there was work available to me (what a joke).  She tried to paint a picture that there was work available to me over the last pay period, but I was not working any hours and basically it was my fault.  My response to  her was unfortunately every time  I l ...

Wrongful Termination?
Feb 14, 2011

Has anyone ventured towards anything like this?  I feel VERY strongly that I was wrongly terminated, but I really do NOT want to work for the company anyway, but with no income, I am not sure what to do.  I do not like the fact of them getting away with what they have done either... Anyone gone down this route or had any thoughts of it? I do not want to ruin future chances of me getting employment and wondering if this would lean towards that if I decided to proceed. I've never ...

Voluntary Termination
Apr 04, 2011

We just got an e-mail from our CCM warning us about sticking to our schedules, logging in on time and working our full shifts.  What was interesting, and that I didn't know, is that if we miss 2 consecutive days without notifying our CCM, it's considered "voluntary termination."  ...

Involuntary Termination?
Apr 27, 2012

Has anyone on this board ever received unemployment benefits after being involuntarily terminated from Medquist/MModal? ...

Impending Termination
Jan 08, 2013

Received an email today that said, in part, "due to an impending termination, extra coverage will be needed..."  If these aren't scare tactics, what are? ...

M*Modal Termination
Aug 15, 2013

After 20 years of service - M*Modal notified me today that I am not longer needed.  Since M*Modal took over, it has been a nightmare!!  After taking a paycut when Editing came on board and then being told that we would NEVER be getting raises ( - who tells their employees that????), GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!  They terminate US employees and keep all their offshore employees for lower salaries!  I was up to nearly $20.00 an hour, and then got bumped down to $13.00.  After the ini ...

Mmodal Termination
Aug 21, 2013

terminated by mmodal....am i able to collect or do i have to fight for it? ...

Just Got My Termination Letter, Was Let Go 08/15...
Aug 29, 2013

The return address was MModal in Morrisville, NC! Guess they have many offices. The letter was a standard, I'm-sorry-type...part-time position eliminated due to "restructure of Operations business model."  "This was a difficult decision...."  Still no one has called about the computer.  Out of habit, I still visit this site, though less frequently.  Seems things at MModal are just getting worse and I feel bad reading some of these posts.  I am starting to believe, t ...

Termination, I.e. Quitting.
Sep 17, 2014

Does anybody know where to find information about quitting, where it might state if you should 1 or 2 weeks notice?  ...

Question About Expanders For VR.
Aug 13, 2010

Can someone suggest a "free" text expander for VR.  I've seen some around on the internet, but as far as which one would be a little better than the other?  I'd love to get Shorthand for Windows, but the truth of the matter with my very meager check I'm getting now on VR, there is not much leftover, if any, to spend on buying software.  Let's put it this way, I'd love to get the Ferrari, but the reality is that I can only afford the Pinto or the Yugo right ...

Question About Expanders
May 13, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 5 years now.  I have never used an expander yet, but I am just wondering about them.  I think that if I were to use an expander, I would be way too paranoid about it and it would end up taking longer double checking than if I were to just type the whole sentence or paragraph out myself.  My question is this:  What kind of expanders do you use and does it really cut down on the time for each report?  Are there any easy littl ...

Who Has The Best Word Expanders?
Oct 04, 2012

Who has the best expanders and compatible with most transcription programs including Meditech, etc?  Shortcut, Shorthand, or InstantText Pro 7?  Just curious.  Thanks! ...

MediSoft And Expanders
Nov 18, 2012

Are there any expander programs that work within MediSoft?   One of my doctors is switching to this software, and while I'm happy to be included in the transition rather than kicked to the curb, I will miss the heavy assist I get from Word AutoText and AutoCorrect. The guy who gave me the 15-minute mini-training said no expanders would work with MediSoft, but that was after finally getting him to understand I was not asking about spell-check... so I'm not sure he even knew what ...

Typing Expanders
Sep 07, 2013

Shorthand or SwiftText?  (Or maybe something else affordable.)  I need something that I can obtain a disc in case of reinstalling.  I just had to do a system restore and was using Instant Text Pro V 7.  Of course, there is no disc for this program.  As they described it, I was "renting" the program and would need to pay the full price again to reinstall on the same computer.  (A bunch of crap in my opinion, but what does my opinion matter to them?)  My Word Aut ...

Abbreviation Expanders
Jan 25, 2014

I've been using ShortCuts abbreviation expander (from Hawk Technologies) at work for YEARS and was hoping to be able to purchase the program for use at home.  When I searched for the company, though, I found that they may have gone out of business some time ago.  Does anyone know if another company bought them out?  If so, I'm hopeful they will still have the ShorCuts program available.  Thanks! ...

Looking For Word Expanders
Sep 26, 2014

I am looking into getting a word expander that will work on any program on the computer that I use for work, such as specialized company sites, etc.  Is there one?  I use auto correct in Word presently.  Feel free to let me know of any, how you like it, the cost, etc.  Thanks!!! ...

Word Expanders What You Use?
Oct 08, 2014

I am just starting out and curious what you guys use for word expanders. I have looked at a few by searching phrases like word expander and text expander in Google. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.   Thanks, ...

Sneeps - Re: Your Termination From SOAP
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious because I did see the ad that SOAP had posted and maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything in the ad about them supplying the computer.  I had a similar situation with using my personal computer to look stuff up on and the company computer for company stuff, but I have to agree, that it was a bit harsh on their part. I was just wondering why you were supplied a computer, if there was no need to use one of theirs. ...

SoftScript--anybody Else Threatened With Termination?
Feb 01, 2012

My QA score has always run about 12% (SS requires 8% or less to QA) since i started. My trainer told me I had a very difficult account and not to worry. Since then they hired a new producion manager and the percent to QA  has apparently become an issue. I generally get 99% to 100% on my QA score and an email thanking me for the great job (automatically sent, I know).  Today I got an email threatening termination if my score did not comply with the 8% by the next pay period. I know it c ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

What Is With All This Firing And Termination This Week...
Nov 04, 2012

People are being terminated without warning at M Modal, according to the board here.  People are being picked on at Nuance even more than usual by QC and supervisors.  These are the 2 biggest employers in the industry.  Why this now?  And most people only make minimum wage.  There can't be such a big economic reason for firing people who are paid so low with this kind of technical skill.  What is going on here... and why... thinking aloud, but ideas would be ap ...

Daily Termination Threats
Nov 15, 2012

Another perk of working for MModal, daily email threats of termination.  Wonderful for morale. ...

Got My Official Termination Letter.
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off last Friday.  Letter came today confirming discussion by phone that my part time position was eliminated and shipping labels will be sent. I can't tell you how nice it has been to not be an employee for this company.  It angers me to read posts of whatever they are now doing about NJA situation.  It's hard to believe we have had to put up with these kind of antics for so long.  It's stressful to read them even as a former employee!  But I f ...

Help!!!! I Accidentally Turned Expanders Off!!!
Nov 19, 2009

I cannot find anything on this junk desk!!!!!  Please help!!! ...

Word Expanders Question - Sm
Feb 23, 2010

I'm using Express Editor and I don't like the ESP that comes with it as it limits what you can do, and my expander in Microsoft Word will not work with this program. Anyone using the same platform have any good programs that will work? TIA. ...

I Need Good Shorthand Expanders
Nov 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me where to find a good expansion glossary/file/list or whatever you call it for Shorthand that will cover acute care/hospital/operative reports?  I have Shorthand 8.  I really need to speed up.  How do you use commands in Shorthand?  Thanks in advance ...

Transcend Word Expanders
May 26, 2011

Do they provide a word expander for you or are you required to purchase your own?  Some companies act like it is a luxury item rather than a necessity anymore. TIA ...

Can Your Expanders In DQS Be Moved To Another Platform. Nm
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...