A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination? - Nina

Posted: Nov 11, 2009

Anyone experiencing HIPAA violation threats of fines/termination?

HIPPA violation? what are they trying to pull now? - France

[ In Reply To ..]
How can MTs be fined for HIPPA violations? never heard that before. If you are transcribing what is said, or doing VR you should not be fined I don't get that. Do you have an example?

HIPAA - Nina

[ In Reply To ..]
Lost position because of error on carbon copy, was told it was a severe HIPAA violation for carbon copy to go to wrong physician.

HIPAA violation - Nina

[ In Reply To ..]
Doc said carbon copy to a physician who had a name sounding very familiar to another name in the provider's database. New account, not familiar with docs, no list provided, obviously selected the wrong physician from provider electronic database. Fired for it.

HIPAA Violation.. - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
Really sorry to hear that happened to you. That could happen to any one of us! What gets me is, don't these dictators have to sign their reports? I know they don't actually "read" them....pretty obvious, but that responsibility should never fall on us MTs. I say if that is how it is going to be with HIPAA, then any and all reports that have carbon copies should be flagged automatically and held in a filter. No? Then maybe the dictators need to actually start reading what they have dictated. Good luck to you, and again, sorry that happened to you.
HIPAA violation - Beth
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry to hear too.. I lost my QA position for a cc error, Mark Jones versus Mark Johns. No the doctor does not have to review these reports, they are "electronically signed". CCs need to be responsibility of Medical Records Dept where patient release can be verified. Not an MT responsibility, we have no patient releases on file.

Similar Messages:

Daily Termination Threats
Nov 15, 2012

Another perk of working for MModal, daily email threats of termination.  Wonderful for morale. ...

HIPAA Violation...
Nov 11, 2013

I posted earlier about a HIPAA violation I believe the company I am subcontracting for is committing. I'm considering filing a complaint, but not sure what this would entail. Before I go too far into it, has anyone filed a complaint against an 'employer,' for lack of a better term, as I am a subcontractor & not an employee? This issue is weighing heavily on my mind. I do have proof of emails sent back and forth that are not encrypted or secured in any way containing reports with t ...

Anyone Accused Of A HIPAA Violation And Let Go?
Jun 22, 2010

x ...

Major HIPAA Violation By BCBS Of GA
Jun 26, 2010

So today I get a letter from BCBS of GA.  Whoops, they had a security breech on their website.  Someone "may have" gotten acccess to my name, SS #, and credit card info. They made "security changes to prevent it from happening again". They are offering me one free year of "identity protection" under Debix Identity Protection Network (has ANYONE out there every heard of this company?).  They want me to leap on to the DIPN website and give them all my information so they can prote ...

HIPAA Violation? I Requested My Medical Records
May 27, 2010

and paid to have them sent to me.  The last 20 pages were someone else's medical record.  I called the records dept and told the clerk, and she acted like it was no big deal and could I bring them back?  At first, I just wanted the extra 5 bux back that I paid for these (5 bux per 20 pages is what they charge).  Then I wondered if someone else got a part of MY medical record?  She assured me not.  This really sounds like a big fat HIPAA violation and I think th ...

Dictating With Kids In Room - HIPAA Violation?
May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a rep ...

Where Would I Start, In Order To Report A HIPAA Violation?
Oct 15, 2014

I think this really should be reported and looked into,  as long as we're all supposed to be taking HIPAA so seriously. And, no, it doesn't matter what the violation was, I'm not posting it here for everyone to argue over the dirty details. ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Is Anybody Else Here Experiencing A
Jun 19, 2014

I work for an MTSO and am distressed because I really need the work/money (I know, who doesn't - hah).  I can understand it being slow in the winter with all the bad weather, but I'm not sure what's causing it right now.  If I ask, they just say they don't have anything for me now.  Thanks for any feedback.  :)  ...

Ads? Anyone Experiencing This?
Jan 12, 2015

I posted a message and it just went to an add instead of having me authenticate.... On this board.  Maybe I have a virus.  Anybody else experiencing this?   ...

FN Threats
Jan 22, 2015

Once again, we get another e-mail notice that if we make a mistake of any sort we will not be paid for an entire report.  I totally understand the need for accuracy, but this company does not do  a true QA review of each MTs/MEs reports.  They do not pull X amount of reports per a specified time frame and perform a QA audit.  One has no idea how they would rate you on a proper QA score.  They do have have a rating per pay period for work that includes what must be sent ...

Threats And The HDSM
May 08, 2014

Is anyone else as tired as I am of the HDSM who can never send out an e-mail that isn't ending in some sort of threat?  They can never come out and tell you the truth about anything (losing clients for example), but they sure can sling the threats.  I am so over it. ...

Anyone Else Experiencing Little To No Work This Morning? Nm
Jul 07, 2012

.. ...

Anyone Else Experiencing Slow To Stop In DQS Today
Jan 20, 2010

I got on my appointed schedule and DQS is slowwwwwwwww, waited 30 mins for one job to finally download, then it stopped and now in continual upload.....EEEEEEE.  This is ridiculous.   And I for one have heard nothing on my MQMail about this new SS time from my CCM or corporate.  SA3.... ...

Is Anyone Else Experiencing Slow Response From Fluency? NM
Sep 19, 2013

NM ...

I Am Just So Bleeping Sick And Tired Of The Threats
Jul 21, 2014

from this "awesome" company!!  Sorry, but yes I am bitter.  Everything about MT that I used to love....gone.  I have to find something else. ...

Yippee! More Threats Of Overstaffing From The Queen Of Nasty At OTI. Nm
Feb 24, 2013

x.x..x. ...

Violation
Apr 08, 2010

I received an email too 2 days ago from ccm needing an explanation of why I had a patient's report open when I was not actively transcribing.  I know there was a night when I had signed out and I had a window still opened that I did not realize was opened.  I had minimized the window in case I needed the document again to refer to.   Geesh.  sometimes I don't even feel like wasting my time to search old reports.  I feel like its constant harrassment lately ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

What Constitues An Ethics Violation?
Apr 21, 2010

Hello, One of my friends here at MQ was just put back on 100% QA after one bad audit.  Now, due to First Time Right, she will be making 3 cpl less for ALL HER LINES since it all is going to QA - except for that 10% allowance that she has. This is just SO not right!!!  How is anyone supposed to live on a pay cut like that?  For 8-9 cpl, it's a 30% pay cut! Is this reportable to anyone?  (If anyone would care...)  What can we do about this - besides quit? ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

Immediate Termination????
Nov 03, 2011

We just got an e-mail saying that for anyone working on Abington Hospital (not mine thankfully), an incorrect cc will be cause for immediate termination!!! Whoa . . . talk about looking for a reason to get rid of us!  That's insane!  I feel really sorry for any of you who have that account. MQ is the worst. ...

Termination
Feb 27, 2013

I just got terminated today after working for over 2 years with no problems with quality.  All of a sudden they kept auditing me and for sure they found 1 error that would be the reason for my terimination.  Has anyone else been terminated? Spoke to the operator to return my equipment and she said she has a long list of people that were terminated and she was sure that she could find my name on that list. .  Can a company have you submit vacation time because they have no work for ...

SHAME, SHAME..the Month To Date Quality Metrics Tanked And More Threats. Think We
Apr 07, 2015

might just be a little tired after all of this crazy MOT!?!? ...

Termination For Using Expanders?
Nov 06, 2009

Did anyone get the message today that using expanders over 75 characters will result in immediate termination? ...

Termination/Transcend
Feb 17, 2010

Well finally the game has ended.  I was informed by my TL last evening that Transcend thought it was best that we part ways.  She stated I was putting hardly any hours in during my "scheduled hours" while there was work available to me (what a joke).  She tried to paint a picture that there was work available to me over the last pay period, but I was not working any hours and basically it was my fault.  My response to  her was unfortunately every time  I l ...

Wrongful Termination?
Feb 14, 2011

Has anyone ventured towards anything like this?  I feel VERY strongly that I was wrongly terminated, but I really do NOT want to work for the company anyway, but with no income, I am not sure what to do.  I do not like the fact of them getting away with what they have done either... Anyone gone down this route or had any thoughts of it? I do not want to ruin future chances of me getting employment and wondering if this would lean towards that if I decided to proceed. I've never ...

Voluntary Termination
Apr 04, 2011

We just got an e-mail from our CCM warning us about sticking to our schedules, logging in on time and working our full shifts.  What was interesting, and that I didn't know, is that if we miss 2 consecutive days without notifying our CCM, it's considered "voluntary termination."  ...