A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need help in choosing the certificate! - Newbie!

Posted: Jul 29, 2010

I have completed the medical transcription course with an excellent grade. I am asked to either choose a letter of completion from them, at no cost or a certificate from a list of colleges (with a nominal fee, I do not mind paying).

I need suggestions please.

Thanks!

It is unlikely to make a difference - Annette

[ In Reply To ..]
from whom you purchase what is going to turn out to be just a piece of paper. Employers will be well aware that it was not earned from a university or college, just purchased.

Purchasing the certificate will not make you a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist). That can only be achieved by acquiring the necessary experience on the job and then paying the fee to sit for the CMT exam administered by AHDI and passing it. If you were told that purchasing the certificate would allow you to call yourself a CMT, that information was not true.

Don't waste your money. If you purchase a certificate, no one will care where it comes from and no one will be fooled into thinking your education came from that institution.

Start applying for jobs and taking the employment tests. The only thing any employer will care about is whether you can pass the employment test. If you cannot pass the employment tests, no certificate purchased from any institution will get you a job.

Best of luck to you.

Clarification- Certificate! - Newbie!

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand that I need take the test inorder to become a CMT.
I wanted to get the suggestion if I it would be better choice to get the certificate from the choice of institutes or just to get the letter of completion. I didnot mean to say that they would give me a certificate that I am a CMT.

Newbie! - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
What school did you attend? What what do you mean "choice of institutes?" As to a letter of completion, don't they automatically provide you with a transcript? My best ADVICE is to really check out the school carefully--is it something you are going to want to have on your resume? Good luck to you.

Clarification: "Advice".....! (nm) - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
x.

It truly sounds like a scam to me. Where did you - attend this so-called school? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Are they saying they'll give you a certificate from some school you didn't attend? - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
If you took a course, they should give you a Certificate of Completion which you can copy and send to a potential employer if they request it, to prove that you finished that course. It doesn't make you certified, of course, but you already know that.

As far as paying to get a certificate from some "list of colleges" is concerned, that doesn't sound right. Would you mind quoting what was written, because that doesn't make sense.

Newbie! - Bananabag

[ In Reply To ..]
Newbie, you never did tell us what school this is. Is it a matchbook? I am concerned about this paying for a certificate from a list of colleges. It kind of sounds like buying a degree or something. I hope someone has not taken advantage of you.

Isn't this False advertising or even illegal - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]

To the Original Poster, I wish you well, I really do.  I hope you are able to find a job quickly and that you are happy there.  

I just have to comment on the school you attended.

I had never heard of JER Group, Inc so looked at their website.  

QUESTION FOR THE MTSTARS COMMUNITY – How is this not false advertising and even illegal?  Does anyone know who to contact to report these questionable schools, or whatever they are?  

The JER Group Online Continuing and Workforce Education Programs.
Browse over 550 interactive online courses and certificate programs in a wide selection of categories and subject areas in the JER Group's online course catalog.   These courses and certificate programs are directed by faculty and industry leaders using a range of state-of-the-art delivery methods.  University faculty are employed to teach these same courses for credit at their respective institutions of higher learning. Faculty use highly advanced Internet delivery platforms such as
Blackboard and WebCT. 98 percent hold advanced Ph.D and Masters in specialized fields of instruction with an emphasis in adult learning and education.

Upon successful completion of a program or course of study, students can apply for a certificate of completion with accompanying academic transcripts.

University Affiliation:
JER Group, Inc. (JER ONLINE)  is an Atlanta-based provider of high quality Corporate Career Track Online Courses and Workforce Certificate programs. Nationally, JER Online partners with Accredited Educational institutions such as UMASS Amherst Continuing & Professional Education and Clemson University. These highly acclaimed institutions offer students the opportunity to earn a valid Certificate Credential at the successful conclusion of their course of study. The Certificate Designation is clearly printed along with the student's name and the University Watermark and official signatures. Certificate Processing Fees are  $39.00 Domestic and $49.00 International.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q.      I’ve heard that medical transcriptionists make a great deal of money. How much can I expect to earn?

A.      Medical transcription is a rewarding, interesting career that provides maximum flexibility and excellent earning potential that increases steadily over time. Entry-level transcriptionists can expect to earn at least twice the hourly minimum wage in larger cities, perhaps less in other areas. It is not unusual for highly experienced transcriptionists, especially those who are paid on production, to earn $60,000 per year or more. Your income will increase as you gain experience, but medical transcription is not a get-rich-quick profession.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

For a mere $1999.00, you get the “Expert Certificate Course in Medical Transcription for either the Physician’s Office or Home Based Business”

This beginning medical transcription course curriculum is developed so that a student who wishes to achieve Certificate or Registered status with the Association for Health Care Documentation Integrity, a national credentialing agency can do so. Students who enroll in this course may after completion apply to The AHDI to take the CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist) or RMT (Registered Medical Transcriptionist) Exam.  

The Medical Transcription for the Physician’s Office (Beginning Medical Transcription) prepares students for employment in a physician’s office, group practice, or small clinic. It contains 8 hours of authentic physician dictation in the following specialties:

• Cardiopulmonary

• Dermatology

• Ears, Nose, Throat

• Gastrointestinal

• Genitourinary

• Gynecology

• Hematology

• Immunology

• Neurology

• Obstetrics

• Oncology

• Ophthalmology

• Orthopedics

• Pediatrics

• Plastic Surgery

• Psychiatry

Q:      How long will it take me to complete this course?

A.      The average student completes the transcription portion in about 160 hours. It takes an additional 240 hours to complete the reading assignments and exercises, so plan on 400 hours total. For example, those who study 30 hours per week can expect to complete the program in 13 weeks.

By completing this course you will learn to:

• Select the correct format for a dictated medical report.

• Demonstrate the proper use of reference materials.

• Transcribe letters, consultations, chart notes, history and physical reports, and discharge summaries.

• Edit the transcript to correct obvious grammatical and punctuation errors.

• Identify obvious medical inconsistencies.

• Produce a final, neat, error-free transcript.

• Increase transcription speed and productivity throughout the course.

• Explain quantity versus quality in medical transcription.

• Identify various methods of compensation.

• Describe what is meant by patient confidentiality and give several examples of proper and improper use of patient medical information.

• Describe the various environments where transcription is performed and list the pros and cons of each.

• Explain risk management and the transcriptionist’s role.

• Define practicum; define externship.

• Identify ways in which the medical transcriptionist can reduce work-related injuries.

• Describe the desirable qualities in MTs that are valued by employers.

• Prepare an appropriate resumé.

In addition you will be:

• Prepared for taking the CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist) or RMT (Registered Medical Transcriptionist) Exam (optional)

• Employable in the workplace whether it be working for yourself or for a Physician’s Office, Group Practice or Small Clinic

Assessment:

Tests for this course will be graded on a 100% accuracy rate with 70% required for passing.

You betcha it's a scam! - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to see someone take these folks to court for misrepresentation and fraud. They look like a matchbook to me. It would be interesting to see what AHDI says about them. What tips me off that they are a fraud is when they say 70% REQUIRED FOR PASSING. 70%???? They will pass someone with 70% That is like saying you can get an engineering certificate with an F in math. The national I work for requires 98% accuracy at all times, which I believe is the industry standard. I am betting that no company will hire from this "school" based on what appears here. I know I wouldn't. I would love to know how the OP heard about them in the first place. And how the h$$$ does this school know whether someone will be "employable?" I would love to see someone who has been ripped off call them on it. OP?

Janie - Diana

[ In Reply To ..]
The people to contact would be the Department of Education in both the OP's state and the state in which these people are doing business. I would also pursue filing a federal complaint. Several years ago even the FBI could involved in busting diploma mill schools. I would start, though, by contacting AHDI. They could probably give some good advice on how to proceed. Last of all, I would wonder how anyone could possibly believe all of these false promises? How could anyone enroll in such a school? The time to check out a school is at the beginning BEFORE you have put your money down, not at the end after you have been scammed. I hope that this unfortunate person's experience can at least be a warning to others. I also hope she can get her money back.
Diana - Janie
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, obviously I meant to say the FBI GOT involved. (Too early here, no coffee yet!) But truly, the OP needs to pursue this. I agree with those who have urged her/him to contact the AHDI. Perhaps they can help sort this out. Good luck!

Certificate! - Newbie!

[ In Reply To ..]
I have gotten into this course through Richmond University. At first, I was enrolled in VLC, but after it was shut down in 12/31/2009, I had to take the course through JER Online as a replacement in order for me not to loose the money I paid for the course. I had a tough time with the people in the group and also with the instructor. After loosing more than 18 months right from the beginning, finally I was done with the course.
Now, they e-mailed me saying that I passed with an excellent grade - A (I am not even sure if they give a percentage or just a grade, cause most of the ads show that the students need atleast 95% as their pass percentage or higher), and they would send me the letter of completion at no charge from them (The JER Group) or I can a certificate from different colleges they are partnered with, at an extra cost.
I have no clue where do I go from here. The instructor is least bothered to e-mail me with my questions and to communicate with me about how do I begin an internship or about helping me with an entry level MT jobs. When I got into VLC, the course offered internship as well (the main reason for me to get into the course)

Hope I am clear enough in explaining my situation.

TO Newbie! - Certificate - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

To:  Newbie!

Sorry you have had to go through all this.  It is tough enough trying to find a job after graduation, without having to go through all you did on top of it.  I wish you luck in your job search.   

Since you went through the University of Richmond, I would start with them.  Below are the different course descriptions.  If you took the one with the “Work Placement Program,” they are obligated to help you with your job search.  (Even if you did not take that particular course, I would contact the University of Richmond.)  

Call, Fax, and Email the numbers below and explain your situation.  If you live close enough to their campus to visit in person, that would be ideal.  Take all your school registration and grade information to show them that you completed the JER Online course that they are affiliated with.  

DO NOT let them refer you back to JER Online.  Keep after them, even if you have to get a hold of the University of Richmond President himself (Edward L. Ayers, President). 

This is from their website:

We don`t just train you for a new career. We give you access to a database that specializes in at-home employment. Loaded with an array of more than 2500 jobs, it gives you the opportunity to apply for jobs all over the country when you graduate. More than 50 companies have hired our grads.  

University of Richmond
Special Programs Building
University of Richmond,  VA  23173

Voice:   804-289-8133
Fax:  804-289-8138
scs.richmond.edu/ocpe/
Email:  sbowlin@richmond.edu

Course #

Course Title

Price

Medical Transcription

URIC2811

Introduction to Medical Transcription

$59.00

URIC2814

Comprehensive Medical Transcription Training

$1,129.00

URIC2815

Expert Certificate Course in Medical Transcription with Work Placement Program

$1,699.00

URIC2816

Expert Certificate Course in Medical Transcription for either the Physician’s Office or Home Based Business

$1,999.00

http://www.coursecatalog.com/onlinesearch/default.aspx?SchoolID=657

Newbie! - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi again, just trying to get a clearer picture. A couple of questions, if you will:
1. How many hours of actual transcription practice did this program give you and was it actual physician dictation (the ideal would be the SUM program) or was it "canned," i.e., read by actors?
2. Did they teach and/or emphasize grammar and English composition?

Again, good luck to you.

Certificate! - Newbie!

[ In Reply To ..]
I had transcription dictations from SUM program. I was given a few good (I felt so) books for transcription, grammar and English composition as well. I was to certain extent consoled after seeing the books and the dictations from HPI.

I was hoping they would the least help me in directing me for the entry level job, but the instructor did not reply to any of my e-mails, when asked for help with job options and internship programs.

When I searched online about reviews for JER Group, I could not find any. I am quite frustrated with the current scenario.

Need help in choosing the certificate - LadyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
PLEASE take a moment to check out this link: http://www.schev.edu/AdminFaculty/iApproval/final%20regs%208-24-06.pdf

The State Council for Higher Education (SCHEV) is the licensing agency for schools in Virginia. The link above will take you to the regulation that governs private schools that operate in Virginia. It's worth reading. After looking at the information about the MT courses offered by UR, thought this might be very helpful to you. Good luck to you.

Similar Messages:

Choosing An Online MT Course
Jun 08, 2011

Hi, I am considering an online MT course to get certified.  I have been doing transcription for 6 1/2 years for a mental health agency.   I have been doing some online research and there are so many schools/courses to choose from!  Which are the best?  Accredited? Financial aid or pay as you go?   I want to work from home to supplement my income but find that most places you must be certified, have experience, etc....  I have the experience in psychiatry/p ...

Choosing A School - Sorry For Any Redundancy
Nov 09, 2012

Hello, I have been thoroughly researching schools and it has been an interesting path. First, I was looking at Career Step, but became nervous that there are apparently a good deal of unhappy people who took the course and regretted it. Then I looked at M-Tec. They provide no info about MT on their website, so I emailed them. Turns out they are not accepting students until the spring and I was informed to check back then. When I asked when in the spring, they could not give an answer. The ...

Employer Picking And Choosing Which Bennies To Give Me
Mar 10, 2014

I've been working for these people for 7 months as a full-time employee.  I have recently changed careers in the medical field and the administrator knows this and he knows i am searching for a job in my new career, which he supported me in.  It's time to order uniforms for the office staff (they provide 4 sets) and he tells me he wants me to write a letter stating that I am not leaving or searching for another job before he orders my uniforms because he does not want to pay ...

Is AA Or Certificate Better Or?
Jan 04, 2011

IS a Associates or certificate better in Coding?  Does it matter as long as you pass the exam which one you have? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPAA Training And Certificate
Sep 10, 2012

Just wondering where to go through to get my HIPAA certificate?  ...

Companies That Will Allow Testing Without A Certificate
Nov 15, 2013

Does anyone know which companies will allow transcription testing for potential employment, without having a transcription degree/certificate?  I know there are some, I'm just not having any luck finding them! ...

F5 Client Look Up Security Certificate Outdated?
Nov 08, 2010

I just signed on to work and needed to look up a Client Profile to double-check their protocol.  I get this message from windows with a big alert that the site I am trying to connect to their Certificate of Security has expired??? Say What???? I had to pick a choice to go to the site and windows did not want me to do it saying my computer could be corrupted, etc.  I did get to the profile, but what the heck does this mean??? Is it just me or has Medquist forgot to refile something?&nbs ...

I Thought About Getting A Nail Technician Certificate.
Jan 29, 2013

But the cost is around $5,000, the time is short only 6 months, but with working full time I would have no life with the classes being 4 hours every evening and 7 hours on Saturday. Okay, so if I commit myself to all of that, will I even be able to find a place to work? Most of the nail salons these days are chock full of Vietnamese workers. I rarely see salons with American nail technicians anymore.  What I would love to do is open my own salon, but where would I get the funds to do someth ...

Who Would Have Copy Of Medical Transcription Certificate School Closed
Apr 12, 2010

Hi, I need my transcription certificate from Tennessee Career College which I graduated from in 2006. The school is now closed and I have misplaced original certificate. Who would have a copy of that. The Dept of Education? Thanks Lesnbek ...

"State Certified" Birth Certificate
Apr 25, 2015

I took some pre-employment documents to a notary yesterday.  The birth certificate, issued by the hospital where I was born 62 years ago, I was told would not do for ID because it was not "state certified".  In order to get a state certified birth certificate, you have to have the notary certify they have seen my birth certificate, then the state issues one they call "certified".  This makes absolutely no sense to me and only delays employment.  Anyone else had this experienc ...