A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Started a new job in a real office and I am - really amazed at the

Posted: Jun 09, 2012

reports that are forwarded.  Most of them are apparently computer generated and very hard to read.  I always wondered what reports looked like at the customer end --- not very good from what I can tell.  I have looked to try and see if the reports are transcribed or some sort of Epic or Dragon speak program.  I would hate to be the doctors trying to wade through this jumbled-up information and make any sense out of a patient's history.  We have two local hospitals and one of them uses an MTSO and the other has in-house transcriptionists.  I can definitely tell the difference.  The in-house reports are much better and are printed in a fashion that is more user friendly.  Some clinic reports (the ones I suspect may be Epic or something of that sort) are so cryptic they are almost useless. 

Not just EPIC... - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
I work locally for 2 GI docs. One is wholeheartedly into EHR/EMR, the other refuses to use it. I only add a little bit of the first docs reports. He puts in a lot of the report himself. Nobody ever said you had to be literate to be a doctor. I used to have a lot of confusion with his 6-line run-in incomplete sentences but would try to make some sense with them. Now...it is up to the poor reader.

What you are seeing - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Is called structured data. For all the companies who do QA and bemoan commas, etc, the REALITY is insurance companies are driving this bus. Structured data needs only to get the FACTS across. The end product will eventually not worry about not only sentence structure, but sentences. Insurance/billing/coding/transcription - they will all settle for what gets them paid.

What you are seeing! - Not a novel!

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone said to me once, we are transcribing a document, not a novel and that is what is so frustrating with these companies who insist on all the of rules in the BOS, etc. Whether numbers are spelled out, how to transcribe lab results, with or without, if they say, the BUN is such and such or BUN such and such. Drives you crazy. Can't spell numbers below 10 or not, etc.

Agree, it is not a novel. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The AHDI and MTSO focus on trivia and on "medical terminology" to the exclusion of everything else did nothing but trap MTs in a dying role.

MTs never saw EHRs and all the expanded roles that accompany them. They never made the association between text and data, never saw the need to understand coding classification systems that drive that data (the structured data mentioned above), and never noticed the huge number of jobs opening up in informatics.

And now, still not seeing it, they bemoan the fact that EPIC is taking over, knowing so sadly little that they don't even recognize that EPIC is just one of many EHRs. It is just a brand name.

To get those jobs, MTs had to start preparing 5 years ago. The MTSOs kept them too busy scrambling to keep up with pay cuts and ridiculous QA activities while the AHDI kept them busy playing "Word Warriors" for continuing education. Now those new jobs are going to nurses, computer programmers, and even people off the street. The MTs are still typing away, accepting less than minimum wage thinking they are serving some noble medical purpose.

When are you folks going to wake up and get some training so you can find a better job?
Excellent Post. - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree completely.
Insightful, excellent. (sm) - MTforNow
[ In Reply To ..]
Even Claudia Tessier is recommending we get out.
(O.o)
which is probably one reason I would stay in - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think I've heard enough recommendations from any person who has been the Director of AAMT/AHDI. If I were on a hike with either of them in the woods and they said to go left, I would go right.
Let's have a discussion sometime about what happened to the organization under her leadership - Just sayin
[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, let's have a discussion about what happened with AAMT/AHDI under her leadership. How many of you were members during that period? What would you say was achieved for the benefit of the medical transcriptionist? I'm serious. Let's hear both the good and the bad. Personally, I think the BOS was an excellent idea. I'm trying to think of anything else. I can think of lots of negatives, but I really want to start with positives. I just can't think of any. Meetings and networking maybe? Those were places were members could enjoy getting to know the MTSOs, before they all had different agendas. Toward the end, the MTSOs were calling all the shots, huddling together in their own private little conferences making deals about mergers and projects, and leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves. It ended up being the MTSOs in charge of the organization that was supposed to be about the MT.

What else?
I don't believe that she single-handledly ruined the organization - My thoughts
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know which of the Directors is most responsible for the shape of the organization or if they actually meant well or not. It doesn't matter now. They are gone and we are all left to pick up the pieces. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always had a tough time deciding who to vote for. We get little blips of information from all of the BOD candidates. They don't tell us much. They all sound like used car salesmen or Miss America pageant contestants. There is nothing of substance in those little blips of information. I've given up trying to decide what they would bring to the organization. That's sad though, because these are the people who make the decisions about where that organization is going. There needs to be a better way to choose leaders and get rid of them the moment there is a conflict of interest. In other words, I don't want a representative of any MTSO calling the shots for us, pushing us in one direction or another.
It's a matter of intelligence vs. common sense - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think anyone made bad decisions for us on purpose. These are people who were very successful for themselves. They were intelligent enough to do very well getting credentials and income for themselves. There was nothing stupid about them. Now you could make a very good argument about their lacking common sense. Motive can also be questioned. Personally, I just see it as people who are aggressively motivated to reach success. The organization was their tool to get them where they wanted to go in their own careers. The MT meant absolutely nothing to them.
That organization - Berkeleyite
[ In Reply To ..]
behaved more like sorority sisters than professionals. It would be funny if it were not so sad.
I think they compromised themselves out of being relevant - Respectfully Disagreeing
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't see any of the sorority sister behavior. What I did see was a lot of compromising. They compromised on the importance of credentials while AHIMA and other organizations that were working for their members, as ours was not, managed to make credentials a requirement in order to work in those jobs. Almost all coding positions, for example, require credentials. You don't work as a nurse without credentials. Anyone and everyone can be a medical transcriptionist just by deciding to call themselves one. Nobody can tell them they aren't. That's why we have so many really unqualified so-called MTs. There is no required testing being done.

Then they compromised again on the school approval. They took a good idea and, because of the need for money I suppose, opened the door and let pretty much anyone and everyone in. That's when people started making fun of the Approved Schools list. It's meaningless when the general public looks at it and sees that there are schools there that shouldn't be. If a school isn't on that list, they have to be really, really bad, but just being on the list isn't very impressive because of some of the schools included.

Then there's the changing the name of the organization, taking "American" out of the name. Big mistake.

No, the organization's problems aren't about acting like sorority sisters. The problem is that mistakes were made that hurt us and nobody was looking out for us. They get in, take control, use their power to make bad mistakes, feather their own nests, and leave us holding the bag. The people there at this moment seem to be people trying to fix what was broken by the people who left. Is it too late? Time will tell.
Part of the reason they couldn't get required credentials done - Seems To Me
[ In Reply To ..]
There were times during the life of the organization that they tried hard to work for required credentials. That was in the best interests of qualified MTs. The only problem was, there are more UNqualified MTs than qualified. They knew they couldn't pass even an RMT test, much less a CMT, so they screamed bloody murder until the attempt to get that done failed. That hurt us big time. The voices of the unqualified MTs outnumbered and overpowered those who worked hard to get a good education and keep their skills sharp. Some of those who yelled the loudest against credential requirement should never have been allowed to work as MTs because they can't spell, can't type, and know much too little about terminology, A&P, pathyphysiology, pharmacology, etc. They knew they would fail, so instead of working to improve their own skills and help make the MT a more powerful, skilled, educated force, they chose to go the other route. They decided to howl about how useless the CMT exam was, because they knew they couldn't pass it. That may be one of the most important things that has hurt us. MTs needed to be respected. Employers needed to know that they could put in an ad for an MT, CMT credentials required. They can't though because there aren't enough CMTs. We can thank the thousands of unqualified MTs for that one.
Just saying - Berkeleyite
[ In Reply To ..]
I was a member during that time and I left because of......well, guess who?
I almost left because of her too, but decided not to let anyone run me off - Been There
[ In Reply To ..]
Those were tough years. If you didn't speak as you were instructed to speak, you'd better have kept your mouth shut---or else. I'm not really sure what the "or else" was. We got our marching orders and if you got out of step, you were what I would call blackballed.

I refused to leave, although I sure considered it many times. I just didn't like the idea of someone telling me, in effect, to sit down and shut up if you don't agree with the powers that be. I came to think of the officers and BOD as Stepford Wives. If you were there, you voted as instructed. If you weren't an officer or on the BOD, what you thought really didn't matter.

Then when we had a new Director, you could give an opinion. You could give all the opinions you wanted. Nobody minded at all. In fact, they welcomed it, because the decisions had already been made and you were wasting your breath.

It isn't like that now. It's true that they get in bed with too many special interests in an effort to bring income to keep the organization going. That's understandable, but it's a lose/lose situation. They make deals in order to stay viable and the deals they make are such a conflict of interest that it's killing the organization they were supposed to be saving.
The reason AHDI has all those seminars and workshops - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The reason AHDI and various other companies keep presenting more workshops and seminars is not for the benefit of the MT. It's because they need to make money. Soon one of their leaders will come up with still another brilliant workshop that all MTs must attend. Why? Because they have determined that this topic is the answer. You must do it or feel as if you are falling behind. The only thing is, those workshops haven't achieved anything that I can see.

You want to learn editing? There's probably a workshop for that, but the best editors I know were excellent MTs who transitioned to editing as a natural path on the job.

You want to learn about speech recognition? There's probably a workshop for that. The only thing is, it's different from one company from the next and you don't learn it from a workshop anyway. If you know how to edit your own work, you have the skills to work with speech recognition. If you don't, you aren't going to learn that from a workshop. Don't hand me the verbal vs. visual speech. That's great marketing to relieve MTs of their hard-earned money, but it's just silly.

My advice is not to take shortcuts through seminars and workshops, online or in person. Whatever you decide to study, get solid, comprehensive training in it that doesn't require little quick-fixes. Don't go the easy route because it ends up being more expensive and less effective.

Whatever you decide to study and train in, do it right the first time. Don't depend on all the silliness that isn't put there to help anyone but the organizations and companies that are selling it.
The organization is more about the officers and leaders than the ordinary members - My point of view
[ In Reply To ..]
Any organization should represent its members or it doesn't deserve to exist. In order to do that, those who run it and/or lead it should be clear of any conflict of interest. In other words, if they make money off any product or service provided by that organization, it's a conflict of interest. Their vote as an officer is tainted. Too much of that has come close to ruining what would otherwise be a good organization. When something new comes out, I always ask myself who benefits from that product, service, or event. In the past 15 years or so, the average member has not benefited much, but others have made money from us. That has to change if it is to continue to be a viable organization. Any sponsor, business member, BOD member, officer or leader who is selling something is not working in the best interests of the members of an organization. Get that under control and members benefit from belonging. Otherwise, we're just paying for the opportunity to have events and products sold to us. I don't know many people who would think that was a good investment of an MT's time and money.
The reason AHDI has all of those seminars - Octopus
[ In Reply To ..]
is for the same reason they do anything else: SHOW ME THE MONEY! I surely hope that no one thinks AHDI is looking out for the transcriptionist. That is not so.

Not just the body of the report - -- above poster

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I cannot find the ordering physician without a search, the reading physician (as on diagnostic imaging reports), the date of service, what KIND of report so I know where it goes in the chart, etc. It is a huge jumble of illegible information.

Similar Messages:

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Is This For Real?
Apr 15, 2010

I have been on QA for at least 2 months.  The first month my TL went on vacation and when she did, I was still on full QA and all reports monitored.  I have not received any QA good or bad during this time, but when I inquired about it yesterday, I was told of at least 9 things that I keep doing wrong, and I am not good enough to let out into the work pool.  I asked for reports that I messed up and they only came up with one report that was not messed up,but a report in which I left blanks, w ...

MOT Is Getting Real Old
Jun 02, 2015

This has been going on for too long, without explanation and without any end in sight.   If one if fired for refusing to work beyond the hours they were hired to do, can they still collect unemployment?   ...

Real Company???
Jul 29, 2010

If you were to get hired as an IC by somebody who runs their own MT business out of their home, what things should you look out for to make sure you are not falling for a scam- and just doing someone else's work for free?  Do they need to know things like your SS #?  Thanks for the help! ...

Real Time
Sep 07, 2010

What gives with that ridiculous jargon in the training video?  "Real-time doctor's list."  Gimme a break.  "Streamlining our job."  Hooha.  "Increasing our productivity."  Come on now.  We're not idiots, Q. If that doctor's list was real time, it would be instantaneous.  I know that they meant that we would get to see a doctor's name as soon as it was updated on their end, but to call it real time is a misnomer.  How are extra ke ...

The Real Question...
Jan 10, 2011

...Is there anyone who makes good money doing editing, compared to straight transcription I mean? ...

Is DQS Being Real SLOW For Anyone Else?
Apr 05, 2011

I've had trouble logging in and uploading this morning.  Anyone else? ...

Will The Real Sm Please Stand Up?
Sep 09, 2011

I'm getting confused.  I read a post by "sm," and she (?)  comes across as even-tempered in style and conservative in viewpoint.   I read another post by "sm," and she (?) comes across as angry and argumentative with a liberal viewpoint.   Either "sm" has a split personality or there are 2 people using the same name.  Can we clear this up so we know who we're actually speaking to? ...

For Real? ASR Really So Stupid?
Dec 21, 2011

pain foraminal valley?  Really?  After 5+ years?  deep PAIN thrombosis?  Paradoxical ambulance (embolus) Drives me absolutely nuts.  Wasn't all of this stuff supposed to be LEARNED sometime in the last decade? DocQScribe 8 of whatever is their only concern????? ...

Real Work?
Feb 04, 2013

Does anyone know of any smaller, family-owned transcription agencies?  I honestly don't think any of these companies who advertise are a placed you would want to call home.  I have been in transcription for many years, have tested for many of these companies and never get a call back.  So not sure what they are looking for, etc.  I guess the smaller companies have been gobbled up by the bigger companies.  ...

LET'S BE HONEST, REAL?
Feb 16, 2014

Every morning starts with a FIESA Email of some ridiculous mistake like: MEDICATIONS: (Oh my God, you left off "Include") 1. Blah 2. Blah 3. Half the medications are wrong, numbers are wrong, etc. Then if you contest it, they say you were endangering the patient. (Really, leaving off the word "includes" is endangering the patient?) ANYWAY, IF THEY WERE TRULY CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE PATIENT'S LIVES THEY WOULD NOT LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF A HORRID, INCAPABLE, PIECE OF ...

No Jobs. Is This For Real. Screamn For Over
Jan 18, 2011

anyone else NJA this a.m.?  ...

Is Security The Real Concern?
Feb 17, 2011

How of HIPAA compliance yields profitable partnerships? I guess a lot of emphases given to HIPAA compliance is truly justified, especially in the case of outsourcing. The thrust on confidentiality and security of patient records grows manifold when it's done across 7 seas. ...

Are Any Of You Afraid To Go Out Into The Real World Again?
Feb 04, 2012

After my company recently dropped my account by 1-1/2 cents, I have been considering either a job switch or maybe even an inhouse hospital position but the thought of it puts me in a panic.  Has anyone else experienced that?  I have been doing this job at home for 20 years and one of the reasons I love it is I don't have to deal with the politics of a work place or people in general.  I was a vet tech before an MT so obviously I love animals and prefer being with m ...

Feeling Real Unappreciated Right Now!! Not Only Am I
May 22, 2012

treated rudely at my job (this close to quitting), but I do not even get a Happy MT week, thank you or anything!!  Yes, this company is the WORST!!!! ...

What's The Real Story With Nuance
Oct 15, 2012

I see a lot of ads for Nuance lately and it seems like there are MTs saying there is no work for them.  What is the real scoop?  Just want to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to them or if I would be sitting around with no work.  Not a big fan of big MTSO... but needing some work and willing to compromise if I must.  Thanks in advance!  ...

FOR REAL, COMPANY CLOSING IN U.S.
Mar 21, 2013

True. ...

An ESL Funny -- Or Not -- In Real Time
Oct 03, 2014

I'm taking an intermediate algebra class at my local community college.  We have an Indian instructor.  He is not fresh off the plane and is usually understandable.  He was trying to pay the class a compliment yesterday as we were doing cubed something or other and were struggling.  He said, "If you're in this class, you are short."  People in the class tried to clarify:  "We're short?"  Then somebody in the class (not me) finally interpreted wha ...

Is Fluency Real Slow
Jan 26, 2015

Not sure if it is my internet, fluency, or we are basically at a NJA status. ...

Is Neuroforaminal Narrowing A Real Word? TIA!
Oct 16, 2009

x   ...

Is Erythemic A Real Word, Or Should It Be Erythematous?
May 25, 2010

x ...

Is This One For Real? Shady Acres Radiology?
Aug 22, 2010

http://forum.mtstars.com/260888.html   Thanks ...

Are Names Mentioned On MT Test To Get A Job For Real?
Dec 07, 2010

I took a test the other day to apply for an MT job and the doctor loud and clear gave the patient's name. The dictation was a consult. When the doctor mentioned the name of the hospital, I heard a beep, but when then the patient's name was stated I heard it. I hope those are fake dictations that we test on. If that was real information, I do not want to go there for help.   ...

Has Anyone Entered The Real World After Hybernating As
Dec 07, 2010

I'm just wondering how everyone is making that transition?  I have online courses that will come to an end eventually, and I will have to be in a classroom setting again.  I'm nervous about the interaction, as I have tried to go to school before and had bad anxiety.  I'm not sure if it is cause and effect, being an MT in my quiet hole for so long, or what.  I used to be able to work with the public so I think MT'ing has turned me into a social troll!  ...

Is Superior Global A Real Company?
Jun 06, 2011

I just applied online for a job for this company and after completing their "test" was told I did not qualify for a position. I have been a transcriptionist for 24 years and the questions they asked for their test were so easy any student fresh out of medical secretarial school could answer. After "failing" the test, I was then routed to another site which offered classes to "enhance" my training.  Is this a real company or a scam to get you take classes? ...

Well, It's Real Now. 3 Cents Docked On Reports Sent To QA For 4 New
Mar 08, 2012

I just cannot do this.   I lose pay because I read specs and utilize QA trying to do a good job for the client. I sure hope some job offers come through soon.  Just don't know how long mentally I can work for this company.  It is as horrible a place as I had heard. You have to go to Utilipro and pay details to see your actual line rate.  If you have MTQA or SRQA showing on your pay stub itself as a category, welcome to M*Modal. You just lost some ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Proof About MModal's REAL Pay?
Apr 21, 2013

You all have helped giving me averages based on line output and cpl, but I know MModal is going to try to make it look like they're really giving us a good deal, and the hospital doesn't want to pay us unemployment.  Where can I go to cut and paste something into a document that PROVES the TRUE amount a normal transcriptionist would earn full time?  Anybody know? ...

Strange That TTS Always Has A Real Positive Post When An Ad
Jun 29, 2014

Strange how wonderful a service becomes once they are looking for recruits.  May not be, but sometimes one smells a rat.  Could be legit, but just have to keep up your guard and not be blindsighted.  The 4 cpl also is a rah, rah, because I was told 3.5 cpl and 7.5 cpl and then the poster said she was sooooo happy and nobody bothers her and she also has money for healthcare.  Let's let Toto pull the curtain.  ...

Real Einsteins Working At Nuance!
Sep 30, 2014

What ever bird brain came up with the idea to work OT for PTO is a real gem. I have 6 accounts and have been OOW for going on 2 days now. Thanks, Nuisance, for the pleasure of working for you. ...