A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

LET'S BE HONEST, REAL? - 7th child

Posted: Feb 16, 2014

Every morning starts with a FIESA Email of some ridiculous mistake like: MEDICATIONS: (Oh my God, you left off "Include") 1. Blah 2. Blah 3. Half the medications are wrong, numbers are wrong, etc. Then if you contest it, they say you were endangering the patient. (Really, leaving off the word "includes" is endangering the patient?) ANYWAY, IF THEY WERE TRULY CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE PATIENT'S LIVES THEY WOULD NOT LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF A HORRID, INCAPABLE, PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY THAT DOES NOT WORK. SPECIFICALLY, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM VOICE REC HAS IS WITH NUMBERS!!!!!!! NUMBERS, YOU KNOW, THOSE INSIGNIFICANT THINGS ON A REPORT FOR DOSAGES, DATES, VITALS ETC. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY HERE...MORESO NOW THAN EVER

includes - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought all of us knew that includes is something that needs to be in there if dictated...

so they don't get in trouble legally if they don't say a certain medication and the patient's care suffers... they can't then be sued, since the medications INCLUDED those in the list, but there may have been others not listed.

7th child - mistakes

[ In Reply To ..]
So you leave out words (insignificant or not) and then come complain about someone calling you out for it?? Your job is to make sure you aren't leaving out words and that the numbers are correct, basically to make sure the report is accurate! If the "horrid, incapable, piece of technology" was perfect, you wouldn't have a job... You are paid to correct the errors said technology makes because it's not perfect.

So many people on these boards make careless errors on a regular basis then get pissed off when there are repercussions for doing so. I really don't get it. No employer anywhere is going to let you make errors over and over and not do anything about it. Too many people think doing a mediocre job is okay. It makes me kind of sad.

If you worked in a grocery store and missed scanning an item off every order, no matter how little it cost, you would be reprimanded and eventually out of a job.

mistakes - 7th child

[ In Reply To ..]
I will admit to my mistakes. I had been a transcriptionist for 20 years, an MLS for 3. There are several dictators on my account that have reports with over 35 errors in a one page report. I think that is ridiculous. On the occasions where I have actually TYPED the report, I don't think I have gotten one back yet. They pay us pennies to fix something that does not work. Don't try to feed me the bull that this great technology is going to make life threatening errors on a patient's MEDICAL REPORT, many, many errors, and it's my fault. You said the errors technology makes because it's not perfect. Neither are we. Neither are the doctors. Oh, but I'm sure you are, at least you act that way.

7th child - mistakes

[ In Reply To ..]
No I'm not perfect, nor are we expected to be perfect, which is why we as MTs aren't expected to have 100% on audits. I have made minor errors, but I have never failed an audit *knocks on wood*.

Complaining about errors that ASR makes is ridiculous. That's why you have a job! If ASR put out 100% accurate reports no one would have a job. It's not that hard to understand. You are paid to make sure the reports are correct because ASR DOES make mistakes. You even get a little leeway in case you do make a mistake.

I love when people say they have been an MT for however many years. Experience doesn't automatically make you a better MT than someone who is brand new or less experienced. It doesn't mean you don't make careless mistakes. Really, it means nothing. Careless is careless no matter how much experience you have.

I guess I'm just tired of people whining and blaming everyone/everything but themselves when they fail audits. If you are failing audits maybe it's time to look at yourself and take some responsibility.
I am not 7th child but - Sm
[ In Reply To ..]
When the technology that nuance promises both the mts and the clients will make the reports more accurate and be done in a more timely manner ironically specifically prohibits accuracy and speed, that's just a bald face lie. I have a shortcut for "afebrile" because voice recognition gets it wrong so often.

includes - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding "includes" there are different account specifics on this. Accentus/Nuance account specifics for my accounts at least specifically state to OMIT "includes" and just type the list. We get in trouble if we add this in. So just saying it can get confusing with different rules on different accounts.

includes - 7th child

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you anon. I typed an account for 10 years that did not want "includes" added and we would be accused of padding a report for money.

If it is "life or death" for the account I work on then why does VR miss it 80% of the time?

accounts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It misses it because people like you don't put it in. You are "training" it to omit it.

BTW account specifics change between accounts. You can't just assume all accounts want it done the same way you have always done it. If you aren't following what the account is asking for, why are you surprised you are getting docked?
accounts - 7th child
[ In Reply To ..]
"I" am training it not to? I think I have done this about 4 times. Did I train it to get everything else wrong? The medication list which is wrong about 75% of the time? Did I teach it to put 01/28/2014 for a blood sugar count? Recently I had something come up in a report that the doc had obviously said over and over so I looked up some of his old reports, over 10 of them. I found FOUR different versions of the same thing, FOUR. I told my supervisor specifically about this and asked what was the correct way. I never received a response. When it comes up again, do I choose one of the 4? I am saying BTW, when you spend 500 weeks of doing it one way, YOU MIGHT actually miss it. However, I am sure you are perfect and that could never be possible.
nothing is your fault I guess - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You might miss it, but how is that the fault of anyone else? Why not accept some responsibility and learn from it when you get dinged for doing something incorrectly instead of whining about how it's not your fault?

You seem to think that your experience makes you above everyone else and making mistakes is beneath you. None of us are perfect. We all make the occasional mistake. No, I am not perfect, but when I get feedback from QA I learn from it and try to make damn sure I don't make the same mistake again. I don't run here to complain how nothing is my fault.

As pointed out already, speech recognition software is not perfect, hence why you have a job. You are getting paid to fix the errors it makes. That's your job. It would be great if every report came through perfectly and we didn't have to actually work and make edits....of course none of us would have jobs then either.
Speech recognition - MTtired
[ In Reply To ..]
Though I agree, people should take responsibility for their error and take action to correct, but IMHO, when the voice recognition began, so did the pay cuts, and it was promised that we would make more money. However, that has not been the case. It was promised drafts were going to need "light editing." With upgrades to their software (that we were actually training by all the corrections for less money), came reduced pay, loss of incentives, loss of other benefits. In the beginning, companies supplied the computers and paid half for internet and phone if required for the job. Now, one has to supply everything, software, computer, phones, internet, foot pedals, books, required websites, etc., meanwhile, our pay has been reduced so many times with promises of making more money but only if you meet requirements set by them, but the knowledge required still remains the same! IMHO, it's about time for the employers to become dedicated to the employees that are doing their job! I get tired of hearing at least we have a job. While this may be true, that does not excuse their actions anymore than it excuses an MT not taking responsibility for owning up to an error. All of course, IMHO.
Companies I have worked for in the past would instruct us--sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Not to type "include," or "significant for," etc. This was not an account specific but company wide policy. I only became aware of using include when I was dinged for it by QA so then began using it until the facility complained. So 7th child, you are not alone on that one.

"includes" - B.S. rules

[ In Reply To ..]
So, that said, if this is a "legal" issue, how can it vary from one account to the other? That makes no FREAKIN sense whatsoever! The law does NOT vary according to the account specifics. This is just another add on rule to make our jobs harder and try to "trip" us up to make a mistake with the constant changing, adding on, no do it this way, now do it that way, oh now we are going back to the original way. It's like working for Sybil. Make up your minds and be real for a change. You bumbling IDIOTS!!!!

"like working for Sybil" LOL - thanks for the laugh! sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's true. Do this on this account but not on this account, like this here but not there, etc., etc.

That's what makes ASR screw up, it's all different! How can it possibly 'learn' what's right?! Everyone/thing is confused!! This used to be such a decent job too.
The main thing I learned from working for MTSOs is - Tired of it
[ In Reply To ..]
They are NEVER happy, no matter what you do. They will always find fault with something, no matter how small. That's why I no longer am an MT.
Main thing I learned - mt gal
[ In Reply To ..]
The main thing I learned is nitpicking is a way of MTSO to get out of paying you what you are worth!

be real - 7th child - wagedraped

[ In Reply To ..]
In my early Nuance days, circa 2011, if VR left off a, and, of, the, ;, includes, etc, we were instructed to let it go else get slammed by QA for trying to get a higher line count. So we settled into letting really bad sentences go so as to not upset the precious VR engine as it (hah LOL) âlearned.â

Then, suddenly last summer, near the onset of FIESA, everything in QA changed but they did not tell us. Suddenly the sentence must state âThe quality of the prep was good.â Not just âQuality of prep was good.â After a few of those kinds of errors, I pinned my TSM down and got it in writing to edit âverbatim.â Since doing that, I truly hardly ever get dinged by QA. In fact I always make bonus, but never actually get the quarterly bonus since they, again, lowered the pay and this time raised the standards (for Christmas 2013, yaâll âmember that special year!). I just canât seem to get higher than 184 lines. They are just daring us to try to make some money in this profession.

So guess my advice is verbatim, verbatim, no matter what, no matter how small, even spell out number (ie, model number, etc) when appropriate. Not only do you not get many errors, you donât have to go into FIESA (but I never do anyway, they donât pay me for it). Just sayin.

be real - 7th child - wagesraped

[ In Reply To ..]
oops, I meant Christmas 2012!!

If the doc dictated "Includes" - - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Then yes, it should be transcribed. Plain and simple.

It was your mistake. Don't try to point the blame elsewhere.

It is my job (and yours) to correct errors in the report.

BTW.I've been an MT for over 20 years, so I'm no newbie.

includes - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to say something here. I too was dinged for not putting "includes" as per account specs. So, I started putting it in there as per QC. Dinged that way too. Then last month or maybe a little longer ago we were told not to use includes, in addition, etc., after headings such as allergies, past medical history, past surgical history and so on. I worked on one account only. PO is by mouth when oral or orally would look much more professional. Many others but I think you get the drift. I have 15 years experience and never in my career was I called on mistakes of any magnitude. I made mistakes, but never like with Nuance. Many of us had our wages cut almost in half and a day and a half extra lines required in a 5-day work week. When I asked about the mistakes and how I could have worked for 14 years without question I was told that I must have worked for a company that accepted the mistakes and provided inferior work. My income was cut in half by this company! It turned into a sort of correspondence course type job. Questions? Risk asking a QC you could catch online with the threat of being fired. The supervisor answered when/if ready. Was told to use Enrich to obtain goals set for me. I asked which specific lessons could be suggested to help me achieve the company set goals I was told Enrich had many lessons available to me 24/7 seven days a week (supervisor answer) and to just choose whichever ones I thought would help me. I was dinged for mistakes that even a newby would have caught. I was dinged for verbatim and told it should have been flagged. I should have quit a long time ago but was hard headed and just knew I could do this. But I'm not company material. I don't flannel mouth answers and stroke egos. I did my job to the best of my ability and was let go because of less than 1 full point accuracy. I made a dang good living for 14 years before this company. This is what bothers a lot of us that have experience. How can we do so well for so many years and then all of a sudden don't know what we're doing? I won't go back into this business as this company is buying up all they can, moving and shaking. It's going to bite them in the long run. I look for them to make as much coin as they can then go belly up and file bankruptcy. Anyone still sucking up will go down with them. This is just my opinion. If this upsets anyone I truly apologize. I will say I did have trouble with some numbers with some dictators, especially 18 and 80. Either way I was dinged, so I blanked them then got dinged for what I "should" have heard. Some lab values were dinged because they weren't within normal range. My thoughts on that are that the patient was in the ER or admitted because there was something wrong. If all values were normal would they be there? And who is to say what I "should" have heard. I put what I heard. I have to stop now. I apologize again. I still get angry at a lot of the pettiness in this company. I was told I was paranoid and that no one was out to "get me" when I asked questions so I wouldn't do it again. I wasn't paranoid when I started because I had years of experience and confidence that I lost there. I wish you all that can actually make a living with Nuance/Transcend. Sorry this is so long.

Includes - Anon - 7th child

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for your honesty. I am threatened constantly. This company took away our pay, then our pride, then our spirit, then our sanity.
Nope, they get my time but my spirit, they cannot have--sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
My kids and hubs stole my sanity long ago. I will give Nuance the time I have agreed to and during that time, I will do the best job that I can but my pride and spirit belong to me. Nuance is not worth giving it to, they canniot have it!

Didn't read past your first couple of sentences. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You might edit it and add some paragraph breaks.

Similar Messages:

Honest Question Seeks Honest Answers
Aug 25, 2011

I've read so many messages from people who are working in jobs which they have said they are working long hours and barely making minimum wage.If that's the case, then why do you continue working from home? Why not get an office job where you'll make more and actually have benefits?   ...

Honest Question Seeking Honest Answers
Mar 09, 2013

For the last couple of weeks, I've been sending out resumes and also frequently checking job sites such as indeed.com and simplyhired.com. So much of what's out there is really looking for recent experience, although it's not actually stated in the ad. Okay, that's the story, now here's the question ... If so many are unhappy doing MT, most importantly because of the lousy pay, why not work at temporary jobs? The pay has to be much better than what you're current ...

What Happened To An Honest Dayâs Work For An Honest Dayâs Pay
Jul 29, 2010

It is amazing that more people are not committing suicide.  I guess that goes to the underlying optimism that human beings are inherently born with.   We always think there is good in all people and that we will be protected from evil.   But, what happened to an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?  Every day there are posts about people working hard for their paltry wages, only to be paid late or not paid at all.  We cannot even apply for a job ...

Please Be Honest.....
May 23, 2012

How do you guys like working for Nuance?  Do they offer flexibility with schedules? Thank you for any information you can provide :) ...

Let's Be Honest . . ..
Jun 24, 2013

. . . some of this Nuance work is just god-awful; and yet they wonder why it's out of TAT even when they offer extra hours?  Really? The quality of this dictation is so bad that no one wants to do it . . . at least not willingly.  One dictator even whispers his dictation no one will suspect that he hasn't yet mastered English.  I suppose if we cannot hear him then the MT can be blamed.  UGH.  Horrible.I think anything would be better than this job, e ...

Honest Question
Dec 16, 2009

Long story short, I had an accident and lost all but 3 fingers. I had 15 years experience as an MT before that and have been trying to enhance my typing skills so I can get back into it. Is there anything someone could suggest to help me? I really need my jobs back am really lacking the speed with my limited fingers. ...

HONEST ANSWERS PLEASE!!!!!
Jan 07, 2010

I am new to VR and was wondering something.....How many of you actually go through and listen to the whole report and how many of you fix the errors you see, sign it off and go on?  I am just looking at the high lines counts that you guys are getting per hour and am wondering if some of you are not listening to the whole report as that may take more time?  I know that doesn't sound good, but just looking for honest answers here. Also, advice on how to get such high line counts wo ...

Do Not Want To Be An Irritation To MQ, Honest
Mar 08, 2010

Tomorrow is my last day at Medquist. In order to work my shift today and tomorrow I have to take a 45-minute HIPAA on-line training in order to be able to log into DQS. I asked if I could be reinstated on DQS through tomorrow evening but apparently that is not an option. I should just do the training but somehow the inflexibility is irritating to me. ...

Honest Opinions, I Just Need A Job.
Feb 04, 2013

I have a part-time IC job, because I recently lost my employee job that I have.  I haven't been able to find another job and was considering trying Nuance and was wondering if really anyone really enjoys it there. I hear LOTS of negativity, but can you please tell me specifically what it is about.  I don't mind running out of work, because as I said I have my part-time IC job.  I would really like to make maybe $250-300 per week, is that hard to do there?   Thanks ...

Honest Opinions Please
Feb 12, 2015

Is 50 too old to start nursing school (RN)? I know it is not supposed to happen, but will my age prevent me from getting a job besides in a nursing home? I keep going back and forth between RN and MA because of this. Or maybe just CNA at this point. Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who went through this? Thanks! ...

Honest Opinion
May 15, 2015

I really want opinions about this.  There is a dictator where I am constantly having to put a QA note that says to "copy and paste from previous report, or copy and paste from such and such".  I think it takes away from my editing , especially if I have to go in and do several of them back to back during a shift.  My QC says it only takes a few seconds, but I wanted to know if we get paid for leaving these QA notes when the doctor asks for one.  Do you think I am wrong to wa ...

Transcend/MDI, Honest Question
Feb 14, 2010

In all the conferences, we are told that the work that is being outsourced to India (30% of our work) is 3rd shift and weekends because American MTs don't want to work those times.  Can somebody PLEASE explain to me why that seems to be when there is the most work.  We are required to work 1 weekend day every week, and I usually have to jump in and work the other weekend day because of the "SOS" e-mails that start coming in Friday.  I am really puzzled why there is so much wo ...

Amphion? Honest Opinions
Jul 20, 2012

I'm looking for some honest opinions on Amphion.  I really need to get away from my current company and I am thinking about applying with Amphion.  Can anyone tell me if they run out of work very often?  Do they treat their employees well, have a good platform, and pay decently?  Are they fairly flexible with schedules?  I'm looking for any feedback, good and bad.   I would like to know as much as possible about them before I take the time to take their test.  Thanks!   ...

I Just Want Honest Answers And Respect
Aug 20, 2012

I am not asking for charity or a pity party but when there is no work or insufficient work to make quotas I would appreciate the company being honest about what is happening. Don't tell me the docs are all on vacation or it's summertime and no one goes to the doctor in the summertime!!!!!! And if I ask a question I would appreciate an answer and not being ignored. Thank you.  ...

Honest Question About Those Who Are Happy With Their Pay.
May 19, 2013

I do not work for any service currently, but it seems that the general complaint I hear on this site is about the pay. I just wonder how many of those satisfied with the pay are the sole breadwinner in the family and how many have a significant other's income to help pay the bills. I know I would have difficulty making ends meet on less than $40,000 per year. Is that possible at any of the big companies (the average, not the exception)? Thanks in advance for the honest, civil responses ...

Is This Something An IC Is Required To Tolerate? Need Honest Input! Please Help...sm
Dec 01, 2009

I was recently hired as an IC by a small MTSO.  I was told the day I was hired that I would be given work in the morning and it would be my job to transcribe it and print it out for the courier to pick it up the following day at 9:00 a.m. After papers were signed, equipment and supplies were purchased, and I was all set to go, I was informed by the owner that she wanted all of my work emailed to her as an attachment absolutely  "NO LATER THAN 5:00 p.m."  I tried this fo ...

Any Honest Current Info On Keystrokes?nm
May 10, 2011

x ...

Honest Response To Question Re Nuance
Jan 25, 2012

I am really hoping someone will help me, I have some questions regarding Nuance as I tested and passed. Someone can email for private conversation. I want to leave MQ and just want to see how they compare. Thank you for any help ...

Epic - Realistic And Honest Insight
May 02, 2012

Can anyone give me realistic and honest insight as to what effects the Epic electronic record has on employees in the HIM department including transcriptionists, coders, technicians, etc. as well as other employees at doctors' offices. I am contemplating an inside Epic position transferring data from two different electronic record systems into the Epic system. Will this temp position likely be gone after a year or so? I know that a lot of healthcare facilities are moving toward Epic. Epic ...

Honest Feedback For Company Trying To Keep Jobs Onshore
Aug 02, 2013

Hello Everyone! I would like some honest feedback. Iâm a recruiter that works for an MT company about to bring on some behavioral health facilities. We would like to keep most, if not all, of the work onshore. (About 120 jobs) In order to do this we need to be competitive with other MT companies that outsource most of their work. Would you consider working for a company if they offered 5.5 CPL for both transcription and speech recognition, knowing that eventually the account will be 95% sp ...

Is This For Real?
Apr 15, 2010

I have been on QA for at least 2 months.  The first month my TL went on vacation and when she did, I was still on full QA and all reports monitored.  I have not received any QA good or bad during this time, but when I inquired about it yesterday, I was told of at least 9 things that I keep doing wrong, and I am not good enough to let out into the work pool.  I asked for reports that I messed up and they only came up with one report that was not messed up,but a report in which I left blanks, w ...

MOT Is Getting Real Old
Jun 02, 2015

This has been going on for too long, without explanation and without any end in sight.   If one if fired for refusing to work beyond the hours they were hired to do, can they still collect unemployment?   ...

Real Company???
Jul 29, 2010

If you were to get hired as an IC by somebody who runs their own MT business out of their home, what things should you look out for to make sure you are not falling for a scam- and just doing someone else's work for free?  Do they need to know things like your SS #?  Thanks for the help! ...

Real Time
Sep 07, 2010

What gives with that ridiculous jargon in the training video?  "Real-time doctor's list."  Gimme a break.  "Streamlining our job."  Hooha.  "Increasing our productivity."  Come on now.  We're not idiots, Q. If that doctor's list was real time, it would be instantaneous.  I know that they meant that we would get to see a doctor's name as soon as it was updated on their end, but to call it real time is a misnomer.  How are extra ke ...

The Real Question...
Jan 10, 2011

...Is there anyone who makes good money doing editing, compared to straight transcription I mean? ...

Is DQS Being Real SLOW For Anyone Else?
Apr 05, 2011

I've had trouble logging in and uploading this morning.  Anyone else? ...

Will The Real Sm Please Stand Up?
Sep 09, 2011

I'm getting confused.  I read a post by "sm," and she (?)  comes across as even-tempered in style and conservative in viewpoint.   I read another post by "sm," and she (?) comes across as angry and argumentative with a liberal viewpoint.   Either "sm" has a split personality or there are 2 people using the same name.  Can we clear this up so we know who we're actually speaking to? ...

For Real? ASR Really So Stupid?
Dec 21, 2011

pain foraminal valley?  Really?  After 5+ years?  deep PAIN thrombosis?  Paradoxical ambulance (embolus) Drives me absolutely nuts.  Wasn't all of this stuff supposed to be LEARNED sometime in the last decade? DocQScribe 8 of whatever is their only concern????? ...

Real Work?
Feb 04, 2013

Does anyone know of any smaller, family-owned transcription agencies?  I honestly don't think any of these companies who advertise are a placed you would want to call home.  I have been in transcription for many years, have tested for many of these companies and never get a call back.  So not sure what they are looking for, etc.  I guess the smaller companies have been gobbled up by the bigger companies.  ...

No Jobs. Is This For Real. Screamn For Over
Jan 18, 2011

anyone else NJA this a.m.?  ...