A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are any of you afraid to go out into the real world again? - LRL

Posted: Feb 04, 2012

After my company recently dropped my account by 1-1/2 cents, I have been considering either a job switch or maybe even an inhouse hospital position but the thought of it puts me in a panic.  Has anyone else experienced that? 

I have been doing this job at home for 20 years and one of the reasons I love it is I don't have to deal with the politics of a work place or people in general.  I was a vet tech before an MT so obviously I love animals and prefer being with my animals at home during the day than people.  But I am feeling awful cuz I have really become fearful of even attempting to go out there.  I have friends and I go out a lot in that respect but when it comes to a work environment I am terrified.  Anyone else feel the same or has overcome it?  

Yes - Stuck

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I have been an MT I have lost my car and could not afford to replace it and experienced some very serious medical issues which nearly cost me my life. Now I am afraid to be too far from a bathroom, my feet hurt constantly so can't tolerate being on them long hours for a job and I have no transportion. I feel stuck. I cannot think of any other options.

I am absolutely terrified to leave my house - and dont know why

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel anxious, scared, overwhelmed, and just completely lost. I want to go out and find another job, but I cant. I dont know how to talk to people. I only feel comfortable here.

I dont want to work at home anymore, however.

I am stuck and terrified.

Absolutely. Could not work outside the home - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
at this time. Don't know why. That is why I am so broke sticking with this career. It is like an addiction.

I suspect this could be considered a work disability. - Various government entities may

[ In Reply To ..]
have assistance programs you'd qualify for that would help you reenter a normal workforce. Even these days. Please look into it. Especially if you've lost your car, etc., and are in trouble. Not all the safety nets have been rolled up.

As for the question, me, yes, not because I'm afraid of working around people but because I no longer have good marketable skills, other than this very narrow one. I used know I could get another good, well-paying job within days. Plus, I've always been very big on taking classes, choosing to target well-paying semi-professional level jobs and training for them as life required. I never allowed myself to get to this point.

I'm close to 60 now, though, and we now live in a rural area with a lovely home but few jobs around. I'm graying, sagging, a bit overweight, and, yes, frankly shriveled at the very thought of trying to compete with others for a decent job. There wouldn't be any competition. My previous excellent skills in a couple of other lines of work--hah! Those industries moved on long ago. Even the people who typed and filed for us were fired permanently long ago, so I can't even apply for one of those.

My biggest "fear," though, comes from uncertainty. I'd do something if I knew I had to. But I don't, so I stay in place fearing I won't be able to earn a living in MT for another 5 years until I qualify for Social Security and Medicare and can start raising and selling rare violets on Etsy and eBay. Or something. :) Anything but moving back to an urban area we can no longer afford or trying to compete with local kids for a pathetically low-paying local job.

Whatever. Good fortune to you guys. I think you'll be a lot happier once you've taken the first steps out and will ultimately do a whole lot better than you realize.
Same feeling here - MT like you
[ In Reply To ..]
I just turned 66, and for the last 6 years I have been working from home, and I think this is a mind set we get into, and it is not easy to reverse this. I don't even drive that much anymore, except for going to the store, or to the doctor's office, but other than that I am a stay-at home person, and I find myself getting too comfortable at home. I am so very tired though from working as an MT, putting in so much time and never getting much pay, and then taking care of my little 1-year-old granddaughter..well enough said, now you know why I am tired, so I think that just wears me out and I don't have the energy to go out. I also think there is a fear there that I cannot produce on the outside like I can at home, and I don't have to compete in the BIG world anymore. I have worked at more jobs than an MT, but mainly in this field. I do need further income though, and I thought I would be retired at this age, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I sympathize ladies, I really do, and it makes me feel better to know there are others out there going through the same thing. I think when I turned 65, I went into a crisis period and the realization of getting older made me think of what was ahead. My oldest brother is 74 and he is still working, very vibrant, and does consultations for major companies in the computer field. His brain works fine, and he functions fine. He sort of "reinvented" himself some years ago and even taught as a professor in his field. I have a younger brother, age 64, who is also very active and still working and also works for different companies when they need help in his field. So, I hope this gives all of us encouragement.

Terrified to work outside the house - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I felt the same way, anxiety about working outside the house, but I did it. I got a job at a local hospital in HIM. I am still anxious about it and I have been working there now for a few weeks. It's a big step for some, but you can do it. I still would like to be in my home working, but I also need a wage that I can live on and I don't need the kind of stress that the MT world now puts on you...not for what they want to pay you. In 10 years I have seen the line rate stay the same and amount of lines required per hour continue to rise. Now, I do a job for 8 hours, make nearly double the money, not nearly the same stress level and I go home and don't have to even think about the job until the next day. I don't have to be tethered to my desk if the work isn't there, just waiting for it to come in. I have my weekends to myself and I get a heck of a lot more PTO. If you have the opportunity to work outside the home, go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always go back to transcription.

LRL - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I am often in situations in which there appear to be interpersonal politics. I just ignore them, do not gossip, do not participate. It is hard at first, but you can get the hang of it. I am betting that if you get out in the world, you will find it is not as hard as you think. BTW, I am a Doberman person, so I share your love for animals.

I can't leave home. - oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a stroke 8 years ago and i work with dragon. I can't leave home, and I am worried about the future. If the out-sourcing would stop we would all be safe. I don't feel safe anymore. My income was cut in half when the hospital I worked for (from home) out-sourced to a company that cut the $$. What to do??? I don't know. Just hang in there, I guess.

I did it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the same fears you have. I had also worked at home for almost as many years. My thought was that if it didn't work out, I could always find another crappy paying job working for another MTSO. What I learned is that most hospitals do a personality test and screen their applicants before the interview. They will not tolerate the office politics (which I was really dreading) and will let people go who are trouble makers. I have landed a job with a really nice group of ladies and am very happy I left my old job. Give it a try. Good luck in your search.

Same here--needed to get out!! - hh

[ In Reply To ..]
I started working from home after my son was born because the company I worked for had that option. I loved it because I got to be with my son and didn't have to pay for daycare. Then after he got older, I found myself missing actually talking to an adult. I joined a gym; however, found that everyone was plugged into their Ipods and no one made eye contact nevermind wanting to converse. I then decided to look for a part-time job and got one working three days a week for a hand surgeon and love it. It is a small office with just me and two other secretaries. Of course there are office politics, but what office doesn't have that. I then got the nerve up and got another part-time job working the other two other days I wasn't working at the other job. I have also continued to work from home at night. My problem is that the place I work two days a week is going all electronic medical records and won't need me any more and I dread having to add on hours to my at-home position because I enjoy being out in the real world so much!!

outside home work - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a big city with many many MANY hospitals. I have been sending resumes out for over 2 years to anything that looks like I would be REMOTELY qualified to do. I always get the "no thanks" e-mail back. Seems no one is interested in old transcriptionists and honestly I don't think they even know what we do. I think many of them have the mentality that "all they do is type." I can't even get an interview. I got turned down for a job scanning medical records into the EMR!!! I am qualified to type them, but not qualified to scan them. I don't know what to do. Right now I have to stay put because of a sudden medical emergency that is most likely going to end in surgery, and I have to have my insurance. But one day, I would really like to be out in the world again. I feel like I live in a concentration camp.

No - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
...what I am afraid of is the car I have access to (note I didn't say "my car," I said the car I have access to), will break down on the way to work - or it won't start when I have to leave at the end of the day, or I'll stop at the grocery store after work, and it won't start back up again. Pathetic though it may be, I don't have anyone to call to come and get me, without being a huge inconvenience to them. Public transportation is pitiful where I live - it's $4 to take the little putt-putt bus to get to a BUS STOP (it is miles and miles away, NOT walking distance).

Also, I need to get clothes, I mean probably A LOT of clothes (relatively speaking). I am quite personable in the workplace (bosses and coworkers have told me), put candy in the candy dish, decorate the bulletin board, bring in sprigs of pussy willow in the spring, so everyone (at least the ladies) can have some on their desk, etc.

I would prefer a job where you are on your feet, then exercise and stress reduction are built into your day (but not TOO strenuous). I don't like the idea of sitting in rush hour traffic (fear of car stalling out, overheating, alternator dying, battery dying), don't dream of calling me girl, ma'am is preferable to girl (I'm 51, get over it world, I'm not a girl anymore), but other than that, the day passes MUCH faster when there are other people around and you can crack a joke. I hate phones with multiple lines (I'm a little like Lucille Ball at the switchboard with more than 2 lines).

The idea of growing exotic violets sounds phenomenal to me - that's the job I want! I did some research on African violets, in the wild they grow in a little dirt splashed up from a mountain stream into the crevice of a leaf of another plant (run-on sentence).

Anyway, I want to say THANK YOU (not) to Henry Ford et al, for the craptastic state of public transportation where I live. Thanks alot!!!! I was saving for a car, then last winter's high heating bills wiped that out (pitiful I know, no need to bash me and no exhortations, please).

Terrified of leaving my house - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
We are losing our account in a month and I have no other job lined up and I am almost 60 and have gained weight over the years and have no nice clothes to wear to work. My knees hurt like hell and my back hurts and I don't want other people to see how much pain I'm in. I just moved to this apartment and now I don't know where to go or if I am going to have a job by March. I have actually thought of some ways of doing away with myself. My car is supposed to be paid off by April but now I have to think about whether I should pay my car off or use my last check to pay the rent. And of course I will probably end up living in my car.

ME, the term "safety net" is meant for people in - your position. To catch us BEFORE

[ In Reply To ..]
we crash into poverty. It's much easier, and cheaper, to give someone on the edge of a hole a helping hand than it is to help her climb out.

You've been paying into safety net programs for years, as we all have, to protect ourselves and each other. Now it's you who needs your programs.

Go straight to your county, state, and federal offices and find out what you might be eligible for that will help you remain self supporting, keep your car, home, etc. Research on the web; there have to be some good, knowledgeable people discussing what to do. There are key words to push, no doubt, and facts that can push bureaucratic buttons to both help you and block you.

Best wishes. You CAN get through this and be okay again.

Hold on! - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you be interested working as a sitter in a hospital, or maybe as a companion for older people - the latter might be a live-in position, maybe with someone who needs companionship, not heavy-duty medical care. Also, my friend who is a little older than me, got into a "grandparent mentoring program," where they match seniors up with K-12 children who need adult role models, mentoring. It was through Dept of Social Services, so you might be able to get some kind of job THROUGH social services, not just "help" (although you DO deserve help!!!!!)

I'm a bit younger than you, and surprisingly enough job-wise, there might be more opportunities for you as mentoring, "grandparenting" for hire, than there is for me - even with your bad back, not having good clothes, etc.

Also, there are data entry jobs that might be easier for you to do - my friend (who obviously hops from job to job!) worked for a testing company, and they had 2-week to 2-month project type things. I think they have offices in more than one state.

Check it out, send some emails and/or make phone calls. Also, you know there are crisis hotlines that you can call 24/7, and they can help guide you - you can get the phone numbers in your local area online.

Don't give up the ship.

Oh, Thank God, thought it was just me... - Crazy Aces

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel like I am "stuck" working at home because I couldn't cope with a "real" job in the outside world. I am not a people person at all and have a lot of anxiety issues as well. I 'm glad to "meet" the rest of you. I'm just hoping to hang on another 4 years 'til I can retire.

shoot, I have 24 years to go - before I can retire

[ In Reply To ..]
How on Gods green earth am I gonna swing that without leaving my house???

My job on outside was a "living hell." - Suzy Q

[ In Reply To ..]
I am retired and have only been working at home for 4 years -- since 2007. I would have stayed on this job longer, but my boss was unbearable. She had mental problems, being very neurotic and paranoid. She would come to work threatening everyone that their job was on the chopping block. We were experiencing severe financial problems at that time. Later I found out that nobody was laid off as she had predicted. Just the same, she made my life miserable giving me high blood pressure, sleepless nights and anxiety. I understand about office politics and have been through this on other jobs, but having a boss who was crazy was worse than simple office politics. She had encouraged other employees to spy and rat out people she was trying to get rid of (which included me at one time). So after 10 years of putting up with this, I resigned in June of 2007. I think what was really nauseating for me was the fact that she had a farewell party for me with 2 expensive cakes and ice cream and also bought me some kind of present -- I think a gift card. After all the verbal abuse and humiliation over the years, she did not find it one bit odd to have a farewell party. Later I was told by other employees that she treated them the same way and even caused trouble at department head meetings, getting herself suspended without pay after saying derogatory things to one department head and openly calling him a liar in front of whole meeting. You may be thinking why do they tolerate somebody like that, well with civil service at county and state level, you almost have to kill somebody on the job to get fired and that is the truth.
Two jobs from you know where for me, court and all - Hate office garbage
[ In Reply To ..]
My first job after completing my schooling was at a local hospital ER doing transcription and unit secretary. The transcriptionist who trained me thought she owned the place and was known to be a troublemaker. Long story short, we had a disagreement one day and I went through the worst hell for 3 years. She tried to get me fired, monitored my comings and goings, pulled my daughter's medical chart when she was I'll and I took her into the ER to be treated, and even went as far as to tell my boss I was on "drugs" because I hit the keys too hard when I typed.

After my boss told her that she had no grounds to do any corrective action to me, this lady went over my supervisor's head to the ED Director. Well after they evaluated the situation, she ended up getting herself fired, ironically for what she tried to get me fired for, which was attendance.

That still wasn't the end!!! She filed a grievance with the hospital and when she lost that, she filed a lawsuit against the hospital!!!! After 3 years and 2 trials (the first one decision was appealed and she won), the court sided with the hospital and it was finally over.

This has an effect in me until this day. I finally went back out to work a couple years ago and ended up with a psychotic, bullying boss!!! I've decided i am done with it because either I'm a psycho magnet or I have the problem!! Ice had enough with office garbage.
Excuse typos! Autocorrect is a pain in the butt!! - Oops
[ In Reply To ..]
Gotta luv smartphones.
Sorry to hear of your awful experience. - Suzy Q
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes going through something like that definitely does effect you. It is almost like being stalked when someone is terrorizing you on the job. Only those who have experienced this can possibly understand what it feels like.

On top of having a neurotic, unstable boss (How do these kind of people land supervisor jobs is what I want to know), I also had betrayal by my "best friend" who pretended to like me, but was really boss's watch dog in disguise. She too was unstable and all her family and personal relationships were one big disaster. Of course she did not trust anybody including her own family. I should have known that something was fishy from the beginning, but trusting soul that I was, I continued with friendship of this crazy woman. Then when I resigned from job, I called my "friend" again with no answer. That was then end of her act as my best friend, because the boss no longer needed her services. They had gotten rid of me.

Now I have a hard time making friends and am always suspicious of their intentions. I have practically lost the ability to trust or believe anybody anymore, except for my closest family. Maybe this is good in a way, because I was very naive and trusting of people before. But it is sad that these kind of people poison others and have damaging effects on others.

Well I don't know what the answer is. It is good to work at home now -- no more office garbage to deal with -- that is sure the truth.
I have very few/select friends. - trusting no one
[ In Reply To ..]
I learned that I don't trust anybody. I hate working around women or just being around a group of them. My daughter plays select sports and I am social with the other parents, but that's as far as it goes! I sit by myself during the games and stay as far away from the kiss-butt moms and dads as I can get! I've become almost a hermit here at home and don't care if I go anywhere to be around people. It's really horrible to become this way after bad experiences.

Leaving the house (sm) - Luny Toons

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only can I not imagine myself working outside the home, I have isolated myself so much, I don't really have any friends on the outside either. I don't go anywhere to meet people. The anxiety has worsened since I'm started working at home. I used to have a hospital job and loved it. Now I can't even imagine driving in traffic to get there and leaving my dogs. I feel like a sicko and I'm glad I'm not alone.

working at home - sbmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I have some anxiety issues as well, which is probably the reason I started in this field. I really have to get out now, though. I am thinking about starting a house cleaning business maybe. I would still be able to work alone, could work part time, and probably make at least double what I make now as well as get some exercise! Just something I have been thinking about.

I saw an ad for housecleaning - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
the only thing is, I had a friend who did it for a little while, and she said you can't imagine how dirty the houses are that you have to go clean! So she said it was really, really hard work. But then there are those people who clean offices...they don't get that dirty, but I don't like the idea of being alone in an office building at night, I mean if there was a whole "Crew" I was part of.

It's just me and my cats - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
The older I get, the less I can tolerate other people. I usually go 2 weeks w/o showering. I order just about everything possible on line. If I didn't have to buy cat food, I'd never go out. The only thing I'm missing is the vitamin D from sunshine.

Sorry for the awful post. - Suzy Q

[ In Reply To ..]
I probably should not have posted what I did, but just saying that life for me is so much better now that I work at home. I am sure this is an isolated case and that other bosses could not possibly be like my neurotic boss.

One thing for sure is that we are isolated being at home. I have found that I am not nearly as sociable with people like I was at hospital. Also no longer have many friends, other than people here or on Facebook. Of course that is not really a true relationship now is it??? I have not totally become a recluse though as I miss being around lots of people to talk to. Not meaning to sound like I am bragging, but I think my former boss did not like me, cuz I was much more popular than she was in our social group -- strange that a boss would feel threatened like that.

Anyway that is all behind me and basically I love being able to stay home and work, although the loss of having a good paycheck kind of sucks.

I wish you all good luck in finding a good alternative to MT work. Even Walmart pay is better than here.

L&L - Are you the OP (LRL)? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
NO, L&L not OP, just another similar case - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm doing okay with MT, retiring in 2 yrs.

L&L - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not tolerate people at all... a very select few, and they are dwindling.

I have six cats that are the only company I need or want. Me too with the showering. Me too with the vitamin D.

I so appreciate you. You have to be a major introvert. I am.

Do you every worry about dying at home, not being found - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
for days, and your cats eating you.

I don't need life line. I talked to my doctor about this, he thinks I'm crazy.

But seriously, I don't need life line. I need a way to be contacted daily to make sure I'm still kicking so I can be found, if deceased, before I start smelling really bad.

Has anyone ever thought about this. I was thinking about trying to set up a chain of people making either phone calls or emails on a daily basis to make sure we are still kicking...those of us with limited social attachments.

Anybody interested in joining me?

I order cat food on amazon - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I could have written this post myself. nm - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Absolutely, but that's what I'm trying to do right now - meme

[ In Reply To ..]
Been trying to find a job in the field I was in prior to becoming an MT 12 years ago. Been on a couple interviews and the anxiety was high. The thought of showing up to a job in an office on that very first day makes my stomach turn.... and I haven't even found a different job yet. But I keep looking and applying and it makes me sick because that's not what I really want to do, but I have to in order to change my future. You're definitely not alone in your feelings.

more than 20 yrs at home - lost my social skills. - work hazard

[ In Reply To ..]

Work hazard - AM

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but that's bunk. Social skills, once learned, stay with you. Or you can develop new ones. In life you either have the results or you have the reasons why you don't have the results. Please don't victimize yourself. You can do it.

I'm not sure that's true. I wrote above about not being - afraid to go out, BUT

[ In Reply To ..]
what people are describing I definitely am feeling to a smaller degree. I was never shy or afraid to go get before, used to enjoy both paid work and volunteer work involving dealing with people, but after years of working at home, if I didn't have a husband, and family nearby to keep me somewhat connected, I think I might just be ordering cat food on line.

If there's any tendency to an isolative personality, which I do have--I am perfectly happy being alone a good part of the day, OD on parties after about maybe 3 hours, and thought working at home by myself sounded just fine--it may well bring develop it from a simple personality trait to a pathology. That's certainly suggested by the surprising number of posts reporting this problem.

support groups - old feminist

[ In Reply To ..]
After reading all these I feel much sympathy for many stories. What occurs to me is that even though we are spread out geographically, we could probably all benefit from a support group (face to face ones.) Most MTs I have ever met are much like me, and we certainly have a lot of the same concerns.

Another great thread... - Boosted

[ In Reply To ..]
All I can say is wow! I'm not happy that we all feel this way, but it sure is nice to know you're not alone in the way you feel. I've been given the opportunity to change it up, being fired from my job a few months ago. I really don't have access to a car so would have to buy a "beater" to take a job outside the home. Pretty small town, jobs are hard to come by, but I would love to work at Lowe's or Home Depot. I feel it's time I get back out after 19 years of working at home. However, still looking at other things to do from home because the thought of punching a clock and having to answer to someone kinda freaks me out. I will say that since being fired my life has changed drastically. It almost feels like I never worked in this business (a little scary really), and I don't miss it one bit. I always loved my work but as the years went on and I got more involved in management, uh, thanks but you can keep it! These big MTSOs are ruining what used to be such a great profession. I want no part of it!

I worked at Lowes years ago and absolutely loved my job - I was a loley cashier

[ In Reply To ..]
I have told my husband for years that if it wasn't for having to stand on my feet for 4 hours straight at a time, I would go back to Lowes in heartbeat. I only worked cashier on the lumber side, but I was left alone to do my job and then I could punch in and out when I was supposed to. There are girls 15 years later that are still there that still love their jobs there. If you have the motivation to move up, you can, but I liked staying the little cashier down in lumber and not have to deal with the stress of being mgmt. If I have to, I will do it again and won't think twice about it (which may happen if things don't get better in our industry...I can make more there part time than MTing).

Agree about not wanting to be part of management. - Suzy Q

[ In Reply To ..]
I too had the chance to get into management on my last in-house job. I did in fact train some new MT's, which I really enjoyed, but the politics of management was too much to bear. They are all very competitive and back-stabbing, trying to win favor with VIP's in company. This was at a hospital, not MTSO's but I am sure it is the same kind of cut-throat atmosphere. You have to be a certain kind of person to survive in that world and I found out soon I am not that kind. Anyway, now I am too old for most jobs, except maybe working as greeter at Walmart. Not even sure about that one, LOL.

I love coming here to talk to everybody. Thank goodness for that. I do have family about 60 miles from where I live and am married, but still they do not understand some of the problems that we can share together.

Nah but seriously thinking about getting certified as an insurance agent - for state of CA

[ In Reply To ..]
I admittedly make "decent" money right now and am in with two great little MTSOs but have no health insurance, etc., and of course occasionally the dreaded slow days which impact the monthly budget in a really dramatic fashion.

A friend of mine has a daughter around my age who used to work in banking but got married and has been out of the working loop for about a decade. She got her insurance agent license and was just about immediately hired by a local insurance franchise of a large company. Since most of that job revolves around working from a home office, I'm seriously considering it as a viable option. Apparently, one is only given serious leads from individuals who actually are in search of insurance as opposed to cold-calling (telemarketing) and being hung up on 99 out of 100 times.

Anyway, I'm seriously debating checking that out, especially if there is a base salary with benefits and small "bonuses" are apparently given for policies sold.

I don't require much to live happily. I don't need to be rich...but I'd sure like some darned medical insurance that doesn't cost me my next-born child, LOL!

You all have made me feel so much better.:) - LRL

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot tell you how much better you all made me feel just to know I am not alone. When I posted this I was afraid I would get some rude comments to grow up and act like an adult.

I made the sacrifice to work at home for my kids so that I was always available and worked around their schedules and as they get older, 2 in college, 2 in high school, I find that as they grow and venture out, I am just isolating myself more it seems. I am going through a divorce, will be final on 3/9 (yipee!) and I know my job was part of the problem. My ex was out working all day and come home and not want to talk cuz he was with people all day long. Then I would ask to go out and he would say "I've talked will people all day long, the last thing I want to do now is talk more" when it was EXACTLY what I needed.

I have a wonderful group of friends that I reunited with from high school 2 years ago. Even that almost didn't happen as I called my sister before going to my reunion in a panic as I didn't want to go. It turned out to be the best thing I ever did and we now have a group that gets together. But when it comes to going outside to work, it is a whole different story. I know I could do it but I need that push and I have no idea where I am going to get it from.

I appreciate everyone's stories. We do need a support group!!!!!!

Leaving home to go to work - MT47

[ In Reply To ..]
With gas prices as high as they are now and going higher, I do not which would be worse, trying to continue working from home as an MT with the lack of work and pay cuts, or spending $60 a week going back and forth to work for $8.00 an hour.

It's a toughie... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
all I know for myself is, this at-home MT stuff is self-destructive, especially when the pay is dropping like a rock. The people running these companies KNOW you are thinking as an MT, well I don't have to pay for gas, etc - so they cut our pay accordingly. I never even have really liked being an MT - it's so draining, when in my *other life* I'm reading and writing a lot, and so I need my eyes and the verbal part of my brain, for my own selfish reasons. Let the sh*t hit the fan, is how I feel. I mean really, am I getting any younger? No. I remember one Christmas I was picking snarly tinsel off a Christmas tree someone had thrown out near a dumpster, and I was staying at my friend's - I was scared sh*tless. Oh well, here I am now, still alive and in one piece. So it's back to picking tinsel off a tree, FINE, world. Let's do it!

work period - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I just a couple of days ago found a cyst/lump in my breast. I called my boss immediately to tell her I was going to need to get to my doctor right away and see what to do. well this was the response. A - she was completely uninterested and did not want to hear any details of my medical probem. B - would this mean I was not going to be able to work that day. well "C" is that I have to have a mammogram tomorrow morning, then go to my OB/GYN, he will probably have to drain it. so here's the kicker. I only have 4 months with this company. At 6 months, I can use PTO time that I am accruing not. BUT for this week, I have to do all this stuff tomorrow, but then I still have to get in my 40 hrs for the week. If I dont get them in, they will take away my insurance. amazing, I work in the medical industry, I have a medical emergency, and if I come up short of 40 hours this week, they will take away my insurance. Do I still live in America. Am I crazy or are they. I mean really , I have to miss work tomorrow because of a medical emergency and if I dont do 40 hours this week, they will take away my insurance! I'm missing work because of a medical reason! so obviously if someone has a medical we should take away their insurance. I need a really good night of sleep tonight just to get thru tomorrow and how can I sleep knowing that I could be uninsured at the end of the week BECAUSE I HAD A MEDICAL PROBLEM. I am so sick and disgusted with this industry. Because you know, I have a little medical issue that I need insurance to help me take care of, and they are threatening to take it away from me because I NEED IT. I don't know what else to say. it's just unbelievable. I want a job in the "real world." you know, like the kind that have benefits, holidays, weekends, 401K. we have NONE of that. I am not a spring chicken, but I have given over half my life to this and I am just plain jacked. let's just hope tomorrow goes good because if not, I'm uninsured. ok, gonna cry myself to sleep now. if i'm lucky, I won't wake up.

I'm so sorry - LRL

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot believe how absolutely insensitive they are being to you. I do hope it all works out for you and I do hope karma comes back and bites them in the butt. I came back to work the day of my dad's funeral so that my account would not get behind and the thanks I get is getting my pay cut by 1-1/2 cents a line now. After your appts go out and buy yourself somethings nice and forget about work. Do something just for you. Good luck!!

Did go out into the real world a few days ago, job interview... - anon4

[ In Reply To ..]
...was stunned that I got interview to begin with, applied on a whim, specimen processor at a local CompuNet. Had actually applied there a few times before over the past few years, always received a polite thanks but no thanks (a response at least). Was thrilled to get a face-to-face interview and felt it went fine; had not been through one for over 15 years, have been home that long. Was told I'd probably have a second interview this week, really thought I was in like flint but alas, got an email tonight that someone else was selected. I'm depressed and yet relieved at the same time! Hate this stuff but just know it's best to make myself keep trying no matter what. Tomorrow I'm forcing myself to go to the local job corp place for the first time to sit through a resume re-write class and pick up whatever I can get from that place. So just want to say, I feel a bit better reading this thread tonight. Sure lots of us out here. I'll keep ya'll in my prayers.

Same happened to me. I wasn't even home that long. - Had an interview at a hospital (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
for an inhouse transcription job. Had 30+ years' experience, thought the interview went exceedingly well, and the transcription test was no problem. I thought I was in like flint, too. But alas, I wasn't picked. I wasn't told why I wasn't picked, but I'm pretty sure the person picked was about 30 years younger than me...
:(

Agoraphobia. - MamaBear

[ In Reply To ..]
I had agoraphobia so bad I was homebound from 19 to 22 but got myself out of it and even enrolled at a large university. Then I got the job opportunity of an agoraphobic's lifetime and started working at home. Needed more money so went to work in the pathology lab at a large hospital and the only draw was that I'd have my own cubicle, more money, and if I had a panic attack, at least I was close to the ER. Now I've been working at home for the last 8 years again and the agoraphobia is back. I shake like a leaf when I leave my house or am in the general public. Paxil and Xanax don't help. But I think this career is the best you can get if you are agoraphobic. I even went back to school and got a health info tech degree totally online so I didn't need to 'go' to school. Not being able to afford daycare is my excuse to friends and family.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Entered The Real World After Hybernating As
Dec 07, 2010

I'm just wondering how everyone is making that transition?  I have online courses that will come to an end eventually, and I will have to be in a classroom setting again.  I'm nervous about the interaction, as I have tried to go to school before and had bad anxiety.  I'm not sure if it is cause and effect, being an MT in my quiet hole for so long, or what.  I used to be able to work with the public so I think MT'ing has turned me into a social troll!  ...

IC MT Counts As "work Exp" In Real World...right?
Mar 15, 2011

Ok here is my situation....I have worked as an MT for 13 years, 11 of which has been on my own as an IC at home.  I have been out of work for a month or so and have been job hunting outside of my home for any kind of work including transcription.  I have been told that since I have spent 11 years working as an IC on my own that it does not count as work experience and that I have no work experience for the past 11 years.  ****  What do I do now?  How do you handle these ...

AFRAID TO BE AN IC
Aug 25, 2012

I am afraid to be an independent contractor! Between no benefits and no work. Does anyone have anything good to being an IC? Don't the employees get the work first? Do you "babysit" the computer a lot? ...

Too Afraid?
Nov 21, 2012

Is everyone too afraid to answer or are they keeping you in the dark also about human resources.  I know about 10 years ago or so MQ settled a class action lawsuit about how they payed wrong or something or another, but since then it seems like everyone who works for them is just like cows to slaughter.  Step right up, work for us and bend it on over.  Someone has to stand up and say something, and I think it might have to be her - if she can find out how to get to human resources ...

Be Afraid
Feb 12, 2013

http://www.mygeartools.com/articles/transcription-outsourcing-leads-to-womans-death-140m-settlement/ ...

Don't Be Afraid.
Feb 20, 2013

Article about MT abuse by the industry.  I was nauseated after reading this.  I absolutely love my job, not the industry. "Part of the problem as I see it is that medical transcription has become a commodity, paid on production, with little or no acknowledgement of the wealth of knowledge a transcriptionist must have in order to perform the work." "Medical transcriptionists need to stop being afraid of what will happen to them if they speak up, and start thinking about what i ...

I'm Sorry - Afraid I Will Be Lost Below!
Dec 11, 2009

Under IC QA - thanks (waaaay down there - lots of comments) but after you read this - do I have options? ...

Don't Be Afraid To Stand Up For Yourselves...
Dec 30, 2009

What has happened to us as an MT community.  Whenever someone speaks up with anything negative (but factual) about this so-called profession, there is always someone there to belittle the person, or give the old (my personal favorite) just shut up, take it, and LOVE it attitude.  We have absolutely NO  POWER left whatsoever? Is this true? Can this be  -  in our great country - are we just lying down and accepting all that is happening. We are allowing ourselves to go ba ...

I'm Afraid To Ask This. I Came Over From Spheris. Sm
Jun 17, 2010

If anyone is still reading this, at tihis point, question is about time off.  When MQ bought us, we were told they would let us keep our time off hours.  Except they must be used before the end of the year.  Only problem is, they are not letting us take those hours.  We were even told we must use MQ time off hours or lose them before the end of the year. I'm scared silly to ask this, but is this what the swap board is all about?  If you need time off and someo ...

Not Sure What To Do. Afraid Of What A Physician Is Asking Me To Do. Advice
Nov 20, 2010

I have an account with a physician whom had one of his office staff call me yesterday on their cell phone, asking me to "delete" information on a particular patient, certain things in their weekly follow up visit reports.  He is being audited by someone, and this sort of freaks me out. I do not want to alter a dictation that has already been billed to insurance for.  I asked him to send the request to me in writing, so that in the event something would happen, I would have that infor ...

IMedX The New Nuance? I'm Afraid So
Aug 29, 2014

After 20+ years in the industry, I've seen a lot of changes, but these big companies take the cake. They all want to be the big dog and think that eating up smaller companies, dropping everybody's wages, and sending the work to India and generally becoming a company that MTs ran from should be a goal or something to be proud of. Sure, boast that your company made 50+ million dollars last year and then tell your MTs in the same breath that they are not worth paying. As if one Nuance wer ...

Afraid To Sign Up For Medical Insurance, Don't Want
Nov 20, 2013

I know that sounds crazy, but this company is MAKING me crazy! Up to now, I haven't signed up for the medical insurance, but now I need to and am afraid that will make me a future "target" for firings/layoffs.  That's the main issue I have with this company right now - the "unknown." I know that many people really don't know what the future holds with their company and that layoffs happen, but this company has a striking track record for mass firings, and it always seems to b ...

KS's Ad States 'MTs Who Are Not Afraid Of ESLs.' When Will These MTSOs Get It?
May 31, 2014

time spent trying to get out a decent product with these guys. With technology on one hand and India on the other getting the good guys, ESLs are pretty much the norm for MTs with any given company these days and we know how to leave blanks and move on. "Afraid" of ESLs? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You don't put that one on the MTs. It's the bill collector that drives us, and you will get what you pay for based on the premise that time is money. enough said. ...

A Tool Providing Anonimity On Line For Those Who Are Afraid Of Retaliation
Dec 04, 2014

I have noticed that there is a lot of fear among workers here when it comes to reporting any suspected illegal or even unethical activity on the part of their employer.  Therefore, I will put you onto a tool that might help.  It's called TOR and it was developed by the US Government to help people in places like Iran post on line without fear of repercussions from oppressive governments.  This tool not only allows people to browse the Internet annonymously, it allows users to ...

Is This For Real?
Apr 15, 2010

I have been on QA for at least 2 months.  The first month my TL went on vacation and when she did, I was still on full QA and all reports monitored.  I have not received any QA good or bad during this time, but when I inquired about it yesterday, I was told of at least 9 things that I keep doing wrong, and I am not good enough to let out into the work pool.  I asked for reports that I messed up and they only came up with one report that was not messed up,but a report in which I left blanks, w ...

MOT Is Getting Real Old
Jun 02, 2015

This has been going on for too long, without explanation and without any end in sight.   If one if fired for refusing to work beyond the hours they were hired to do, can they still collect unemployment?   ...

Real Company???
Jul 29, 2010

If you were to get hired as an IC by somebody who runs their own MT business out of their home, what things should you look out for to make sure you are not falling for a scam- and just doing someone else's work for free?  Do they need to know things like your SS #?  Thanks for the help! ...

Real Time
Sep 07, 2010

What gives with that ridiculous jargon in the training video?  "Real-time doctor's list."  Gimme a break.  "Streamlining our job."  Hooha.  "Increasing our productivity."  Come on now.  We're not idiots, Q. If that doctor's list was real time, it would be instantaneous.  I know that they meant that we would get to see a doctor's name as soon as it was updated on their end, but to call it real time is a misnomer.  How are extra ke ...

The Real Question...
Jan 10, 2011

...Is there anyone who makes good money doing editing, compared to straight transcription I mean? ...

Is DQS Being Real SLOW For Anyone Else?
Apr 05, 2011

I've had trouble logging in and uploading this morning.  Anyone else? ...

Will The Real Sm Please Stand Up?
Sep 09, 2011

I'm getting confused.  I read a post by "sm," and she (?)  comes across as even-tempered in style and conservative in viewpoint.   I read another post by "sm," and she (?) comes across as angry and argumentative with a liberal viewpoint.   Either "sm" has a split personality or there are 2 people using the same name.  Can we clear this up so we know who we're actually speaking to? ...

For Real? ASR Really So Stupid?
Dec 21, 2011

pain foraminal valley?  Really?  After 5+ years?  deep PAIN thrombosis?  Paradoxical ambulance (embolus) Drives me absolutely nuts.  Wasn't all of this stuff supposed to be LEARNED sometime in the last decade? DocQScribe 8 of whatever is their only concern????? ...

Real Work?
Feb 04, 2013

Does anyone know of any smaller, family-owned transcription agencies?  I honestly don't think any of these companies who advertise are a placed you would want to call home.  I have been in transcription for many years, have tested for many of these companies and never get a call back.  So not sure what they are looking for, etc.  I guess the smaller companies have been gobbled up by the bigger companies.  ...

LET'S BE HONEST, REAL?
Feb 16, 2014

Every morning starts with a FIESA Email of some ridiculous mistake like: MEDICATIONS: (Oh my God, you left off "Include") 1. Blah 2. Blah 3. Half the medications are wrong, numbers are wrong, etc. Then if you contest it, they say you were endangering the patient. (Really, leaving off the word "includes" is endangering the patient?) ANYWAY, IF THEY WERE TRULY CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE PATIENT'S LIVES THEY WOULD NOT LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF A HORRID, INCAPABLE, PIECE OF ...

No Jobs. Is This For Real. Screamn For Over
Jan 18, 2011

anyone else NJA this a.m.?  ...

Is Security The Real Concern?
Feb 17, 2011

How of HIPAA compliance yields profitable partnerships? I guess a lot of emphases given to HIPAA compliance is truly justified, especially in the case of outsourcing. The thrust on confidentiality and security of patient records grows manifold when it's done across 7 seas. ...

Feeling Real Unappreciated Right Now!! Not Only Am I
May 22, 2012

treated rudely at my job (this close to quitting), but I do not even get a Happy MT week, thank you or anything!!  Yes, this company is the WORST!!!! ...

Started A New Job In A Real Office And I Am
Jun 09, 2012

reports that are forwarded.  Most of them are apparently computer generated and very hard to read.  I always wondered what reports looked like at the customer end --- not very good from what I can tell.  I have looked to try and see if the reports are transcribed or some sort of Epic or Dragon speak program.  I would hate to be the doctors trying to wade through this jumbled-up information and make any sense out of a patient's history.  We have two local hospitals a ...

What's The Real Story With Nuance
Oct 15, 2012

I see a lot of ads for Nuance lately and it seems like there are MTs saying there is no work for them.  What is the real scoop?  Just want to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to them or if I would be sitting around with no work.  Not a big fan of big MTSO... but needing some work and willing to compromise if I must.  Thanks in advance!  ...

FOR REAL, COMPANY CLOSING IN U.S.
Mar 21, 2013

True. ...