A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My expenses go up and the mega-rich companies go down with sweat-shop labor - anon

Posted: Sep 26, 2012

I had a thought with the recent decision to not take a non-medical transcription job. I told the owner of the transcription company that I needed to be paid 8 cpl for this job and she was only paying 6-1/2 cpl. I told her that my expenses for everything are rising, food, shelter, gas etc. and she told me that the account that I would be doing this work for demands low cost for their transcription because of the work being sent to India, Pakistan, and the Philippines. This is a huge construction company with offices all over this country, not like some small doctor's office. My thought was hey, everything is going up for me but yet these mega-rich companies can get their work from sweat-shop labor. This makes me sick. I stood up for myself and turned this work down for such low pay and the frustration of typing every other word as a blank because I could not understand their very poor audio on a cell phone or speaker phone which also cuts down on my lines. I had a 2-hour audio recording of just this. Give me a break!!!

I think you made the right choice. My response to her would have been - You have one of three choices.

[ In Reply To ..]
You can either type it all yourself, or you can pay me what I need to do it for you and take a lot less in terms of profit for yourself on my work, or you can turn the work down and not get paid anything at all.

The owner pays editors 3 cpl in addition to paying me. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The owner claimed to me that this company required editing too so she had to pay the editors 3 cpl for all their transcriptions. Imagine that? I ask her if that means I was just doing a rough draft and that the editors would catch everything that I didn't and she said no I was still responsible for an accurate file. Does it make sense that she is only being paid 10 cpl from that company and she still has to pay editors to go over everything? That would mean she is getting a half cent profit. I'm not sure about this. It's not something I would put up with.

I'm skeptical, but if you can live with it - maker her this offer

[ In Reply To ..]
Tell her you will type for 6 cents a line but all you're going to do is create the best rough draft for the editors that you can create as fast as you can create it. You're not going to spend time researching stuff, and if you can't understand the dictator you're going to just blank it and go. You do not expect to be subject to any QA as the reports are all going to be gone over in editing anyway, so the editors should be the ones taking care of finalizing the product for the client. Then tell her she can keep the other half cent for herself and bump her profit margin to 1 cent or she can give it to the editors and keep the profit margin she is already settling for.

I don't know how fast you type, but you ought to be able to make a decent wage if all you do is just type as fast as you can as accurately as you can and not be worrying about blanks, research, QA, or anything else. The stress-free work environment that would create for you ought to be worth a couple bucks an hour by itself. She probably won't take you up on it, but it does make the point either way.

Yeap, this is real life now.... - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Add to it that we have to pay dictation system and phone line costs as well as administration, hiring/training, etc., and there you have it--why I am no longer taking on new clients, just what I can transcribe myself plus help for overflow if necessary. She is speaking the truth. Clients are paying less and demanding more.

I do too and good luck. What I don't understand is why there are NEWBIES - on the newbie forum. Are they nuts? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

why wouldn't newbies be on the newbie forum? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think OP is probably shocked that new people are still - considering MT as a career. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Umhm. Exceptionally long learning curve before making even today's - LOW income, excellent chance of finding yourself
[ In Reply To ..]
out of work at various times, unable to get another position while your skills are still fresh, and ESPECIALLY--drum roll--having such a narrow range of skills for this job that you are not qualified for anything else.

Not to mention that all providers dream of being able to get rid of our function altogether and will always keep trying. Severe job insecurity.

Not to mention that there will always be others willing to do our work for less.

I have nothing against MT, except that it's become a very hazardous and low-paying choice. Entering this field is just very foolish for anyone except an agoraphobic who's also the sole caregiver for his or her demented grandparents. And then I'd recommend something else that can be done at home.

Similar Messages:

MModal Versus Sweat Shop
Feb 16, 2013

Have you ever compared MModal to a sweat shop?  I have over 30 years experience as a transcriptionist.  I was quoted 10 cents a line for straight transcription and did not get the doctors I was promised I would get. When I question my CCM, she says "you are primary".  No I am not, as there are at least 2 other transcriptionists getting first dips on that account.  I was quickly switched to VR at a whopping 4 cents a line.  So now they are getting my s ...

Reporting Companies To Labor Board?
May 21, 2015

I am just curious...has anyone ever reported companies that don't pay you for your work? I have been reading posts about some of them particularly the one that has a new pay system where I think you all said you only get paid for 80% of your work?? How absurd. That has got to be illegal. I have provided the link to get you started. I reported a company I worked for 30 years ago in a different field who tried to withold my paycheck because I just quit without notice. All I had to do wa ...

Sweat Prep Test?
Feb 21, 2010

Is this a test?  I've searched it and find very little - maybe hearing it wrong? ...

Sweat Perfusion Pattern?
Jun 13, 2013

Dictated what s/l her sweat perfusion pattern is normal. Orthopedics, rest of paragraph: She has got positive Phalen's, Tinel's and carpal tunnel compression test. There is no intrinsic atrophy. Her _____ perfusion pattern is normal. ...

This Is Just Too Rich!
Mar 03, 2010

Laughing my butt off!  How long do you think this will last?  Yeah, they will be begging people to cover shifts and work overtime and I will be saying, no dice, not my shift.  Good luck to ya! ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

I'm Rich!! SoftScript Paycheck Is $150!!
Apr 05, 2012

Yep, that's right and I'm full-time!  I knew I should have listened to you all but I took the job anyway, hoping that it might be different for me.  You all were right!  I've emailed the manager more than once and each time she says she'll be adding more accounts but obviously that's not going to happen.  I've been with them about 2 months now and certainly can't make a living on this!  What to do, what to do.....  ...

If Only I Was Paid By The Correction. I Would Be Rich!
Mar 14, 2015

And for every correction I make, IT should be docked for their shameful performance. ...

MQ Suits Are Too Rich. They Have Multiple Houses
Oct 30, 2011

I am scoping out a big box for my next move to under the overpass down the street. ...

If I Was As Rich As A MQ Suit, I Would Only Drink Fiji
Nov 03, 2011

s ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Labor Trafficking
May 06, 2014

to consider MTs are victims of labor trafficking? And to the obvious comments about no one forcing MTs to keep their positions or don't be a victim...  This profession has been demolished by the greed of MTSOs and MTs were not part of the conversation (unless they were small MTSO owners who sold out or AAMT employees who sold us out).  MT has become an abusive and degrading job to have, no longer a profession.   Skip to main content U.S. Department of Healt ...

Labor Day And OOW, But Couldn't Have It Off?
Sep 01, 2014

I knew it....I am not a moron.....hiring all these MTs for these accounts, running OOW on a regular work day.....did they think we would all stay busy on Labor Day?  I am disgusted and am taking the day off.  I ask about being off.......NO.  Don't you think that managers could make schedules knowing the work is slow?  Let people off if they ask, making sure to have at least 2 MTs on in case some work comes in?  That is too easy a fix....let everyone just be OOW and ...

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

North NJA On A Normal Day, What Will Labor Day Be Like? NM
Sep 01, 2011

nm ...

Labor And Delivery Websites?
Oct 13, 2011

Anyone know of a good site for labor and delivery terms?  I can't seem to find one that has anything beyond laymen terms. Thanks in advance! ...

International Labor Partners, What Do They Do?
Apr 19, 2012

I've read on here previous comments about the ILPs not having the skill set to perform straight transcription/editing, and if that's true (and I tend to believe it myself), then exactly what is their purpose in the industry? Can they churn out the line count (or way above and beyond line requirements)? Can they create/edit a document that is ready for release to clients? Who QAs their grammar, punctuation, spelling (in correct English)? Can they precisely transcribe OR reports, car ...

Found This Under Dept Of Labor.....
Aug 07, 2012

Off-the-Clock References The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that covered non-exempt employees receive at least the minimum wage and at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. In general, "hours worked" includes all time an employee must be on duty, or on the employer's premises or at any other prescribed place of work. Also included is any additional time the employee is allowed (i.e., suffered or permitted) to work. The amo ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Question About Labor Board
Nov 02, 2012

Does anyone know, with an IC working in one state and the MTSO having her business in another state, which state I would file a claim with the labor board for wages not paid.  This is a minimal amount but this lady has one excuse after another, she has been sick, she had personal problems, her daughter had an appointment.  I am at a point where I am finished and want to file a claim with the labor board, she has too many personal problems/issues to be in business.  I will not ...

From 30K Per Year To Slave Labor
Dec 03, 2012

Good morning fellow MTs, Well our hospital just outsourced a huge part of our transcription. I am seeing this trend and it breaks my heart.  When you go from a good salary and benefits with affordable insurance to a company who pays  you barely minimum wage - it is WRONG!  Is there any one out there who thinks that these companies OWE it to us MTs who have been in the field 20+ years to pay us what we are worth?  And not by the line???? I am so frustrated and angry that thes ...

Has Anyone Contacted A Labor Attorney?
Feb 14, 2014

I am wondering if anyone else has contacted a labor attorney regarding the legality of being forced to either sit at your computer for hours on end, use PTO time or risk being fired for their inability to provide work for us? I have an appointment to speak with one, but I was just wondering if anyone else had looked into this and the outcome? This just is really starting to feel like a sweatshop. ...

Labor Board Or Lawyer
Dec 03, 2014

in all seriousness, can this be done legally?  what about the state minimum wage... the Labor Board should be notified or a lawyer to make sure this is legal.    ...

Department Of Labor Audit
May 07, 2015

I received an email recently from my company stating that they were undergoing a random DOL audit followed by a questionnaire in the mail from the DOL...which the company stated was voluntary and it was up to us to decide if we wanted to answer it.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and knows what is going on and how this could affect our jobs?  I am currently working as an independent contractor on a Veterans Affairs account and would like to keep my job...a ...