A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Labor Day and OOW, but couldn't have it off? - Charsy

Posted: Sep 01, 2014

I knew it....I am not a moron.....hiring all these MTs for these accounts, running OOW on a regular work day.....did they think we would all stay busy on Labor Day?  I am disgusted and am taking the day off.  I ask about being off.......NO.  Don't you think that managers could make schedules knowing the work is slow?  Let people off if they ask, making sure to have at least 2 MTs on in case some work comes in?  That is too easy a fix....let everyone just be OOW and don't answer email.  

OOW - metoo

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in the same boat. OOW on regular days and 4 lousy jobs since 6 a.m. today. Crappy scheduling and overhiring. I haven't had 1 email all day from my TSM.

oow me too - rip

[ In Reply To ..]
Same here. I got one day's line total in two days. Now trying to catch up on lines

OOW on holiday - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course they don't answer. The majority of management have to have their holidays off!!! I get so sick and tired of hearing about the vacations they took, showing pictures of their swimming pools and family functions they are always able to attend. Didn't mind so much when we used to make a good living. Felt like some of the sacrifices were worth while. But now I just resent them flaunting this in our faces as we scratch for peanuts.

Needless to say, I have been OOW most of today also. Grrr.

Punch out and go about your merry way; still early - enough to enjoy yourself.

[ In Reply To ..]

The real problem is we should - be paid

[ In Reply To ..]
It used to be they would pay you for at least some hours (maybe 4?), and the lines you actually got would be weighted extra. Now, if you are OOW you get the rest of the day off! Great, until you realize it is without pay. Who can afford that? And why should they not be made to pay at least something?

Whenever I get OOW now I am glad for the "day off" technically speaking, and end up doing my second job or other stuff, but invariably it is tough to make up the hours during the rest of the week, so I end up slightly short, which always seems to happen when I am (infrequently) eligible for the production bonus, of course.

I have stopped using my PTO to pad the pay though, since I realized I was using all my PTO up that way and since it is so precious, you really don't want to do that, small amount that it is.

It's almost like they sit around thinking up strategies to deprive us of pay, but that would be paranoid, right?

No, they DO think up ways to cut our pay!!!! - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you think this maximum capacitation thing (or whatever it's called) was all about? They hate us. The more they take from us, the more they can reward themselves. That's the way they play the Nuance Greed Game. Just wait for the October Surprise...

The real problem.. - Sammie

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right. Any time my husband was scheduled to work especially on a holiday and wasn't needed, he was paid 4 hours. We are available, scheduled to work and are OOW the entire day. We should be paid at least 4 hours. Of course it won't happen. I am over 11 hours short so far this week:(

Similar Messages:

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Couldn't Get In, Now Saying I'm Logged In Elsewhere
Oct 07, 2010

x ...

I Couldn't Help It, Had To Share
Dec 18, 2012

One of my little foreign dictating darlins dictated under Social History said, patient doesn't smoke alcohol..   ...

Whew. Couldn't Get In Here For A Minute.
Dec 06, 2011

LOL ...

I Couldn't Resist Posting This...
Jan 20, 2012

So you've just been sold out to "the Q" Let me tell you what they will do. They'll mess with your income, your mind and health, While the CEOs accumulate wealth. They don't care if you're a daughter, mother, or wife, All they will do is mess with your life. You ask for advice, so I'll give it to you Run far, run fast away from "the Q." ...

I Know This Has Been Asked But Couldn't Find It..
Feb 21, 2013

How long should it take to edit a VR document?  I know straight typing should be about 3 times the length of the dictation but what about VR?  I know there will be variables and was just curious.  Thanks. ...

TCM Says For The Hours We Couldn't Work Because Of NJA We Can Use PTO, What???
Feb 26, 2013

So if there isn't work during my 8 hour shift and I only get in 6 hours, I need to take two hours of PTO to make up my hours?  Uh..provide me with work during my shift. Why should I have to use my PTO to make up the hours that this company can't provide me. ...

Important Work? Couldn't Be
Aug 07, 2014

It's ironic how we get emails about how important we are to patient's medical care and safety, yet we get paid a beggar's rate. Flipping hamburgers is a more important job; no customer wants a burnt hamburger, which explains why you can make more money at McDonald's. ...

By The Time I Got To The End Of A CP, I Couldn't Remember The Beginning.
Nov 03, 2012

Just plain too long and too many if's and's or but's. ...

Couldn't Find Any Info On SCRIBE 4 US
Nov 06, 2012

Couldn't find any info on SCRIBE 4 US.  Anyone have any information? ...

I Had A Thought Last Night As I Couldn't Sleep
Jun 09, 2014

I had a discussion with a friend that paid like 400 dollars to clean a bug off her computer..I think she got scammed but thats a whole other topic...The person "fixing" her computer was Indian.. He told her we used to get paid terribly, but now I get paid real well. Hum, I wonder why? Maybe cause now that they have all our jobs and our information, they can demand higher wages and the companies must acquiesce or risk some major hacking scam? So here is my bet, IF and I say if, medical transcr ...

PHOENIX MEDCOM - Couldn't Find The Answers
Mar 16, 2013

Hello. I looked through the archives but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I read the post for Phoenix medcom. I am very interested in doing front office stuff while doing transcription. Does anyone do that? How does the pay work out? I would think it would supplement the transcription income. I just put in an app and was wondering what other people have experienced. Thank you! ...

TransTech - Couldn't Find Recent Info In Archives
Feb 27, 2012

Any info regarding how they are to work for, work availability, & productivity on VR is much appreciated.  Feel free to address anything else that would be helpful!  You're welcome to email me if you prefer not to post.  TIA!!   ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Labor Trafficking
May 06, 2014

to consider MTs are victims of labor trafficking? And to the obvious comments about no one forcing MTs to keep their positions or don't be a victim...  This profession has been demolished by the greed of MTSOs and MTs were not part of the conversation (unless they were small MTSO owners who sold out or AAMT employees who sold us out).  MT has become an abusive and degrading job to have, no longer a profession.   Skip to main content U.S. Department of Healt ...

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

North NJA On A Normal Day, What Will Labor Day Be Like? NM
Sep 01, 2011

nm ...

Labor And Delivery Websites?
Oct 13, 2011

Anyone know of a good site for labor and delivery terms?  I can't seem to find one that has anything beyond laymen terms. Thanks in advance! ...

International Labor Partners, What Do They Do?
Apr 19, 2012

I've read on here previous comments about the ILPs not having the skill set to perform straight transcription/editing, and if that's true (and I tend to believe it myself), then exactly what is their purpose in the industry? Can they churn out the line count (or way above and beyond line requirements)? Can they create/edit a document that is ready for release to clients? Who QAs their grammar, punctuation, spelling (in correct English)? Can they precisely transcribe OR reports, car ...

Found This Under Dept Of Labor.....
Aug 07, 2012

Off-the-Clock References The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that covered non-exempt employees receive at least the minimum wage and at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. In general, "hours worked" includes all time an employee must be on duty, or on the employer's premises or at any other prescribed place of work. Also included is any additional time the employee is allowed (i.e., suffered or permitted) to work. The amo ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Question About Labor Board
Nov 02, 2012

Does anyone know, with an IC working in one state and the MTSO having her business in another state, which state I would file a claim with the labor board for wages not paid.  This is a minimal amount but this lady has one excuse after another, she has been sick, she had personal problems, her daughter had an appointment.  I am at a point where I am finished and want to file a claim with the labor board, she has too many personal problems/issues to be in business.  I will not ...

From 30K Per Year To Slave Labor
Dec 03, 2012

Good morning fellow MTs, Well our hospital just outsourced a huge part of our transcription. I am seeing this trend and it breaks my heart.  When you go from a good salary and benefits with affordable insurance to a company who pays  you barely minimum wage - it is WRONG!  Is there any one out there who thinks that these companies OWE it to us MTs who have been in the field 20+ years to pay us what we are worth?  And not by the line???? I am so frustrated and angry that thes ...

Has Anyone Contacted A Labor Attorney?
Feb 14, 2014

I am wondering if anyone else has contacted a labor attorney regarding the legality of being forced to either sit at your computer for hours on end, use PTO time or risk being fired for their inability to provide work for us? I have an appointment to speak with one, but I was just wondering if anyone else had looked into this and the outcome? This just is really starting to feel like a sweatshop. ...