A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone contacted a labor attorney? - RADMT

Posted: Feb 14, 2014

I am wondering if anyone else has contacted a labor attorney regarding the legality of being forced to either sit at your computer for hours on end, use PTO time or risk being fired for their inability to provide work for us? I have an appointment to speak with one, but I was just wondering if anyone else had looked into this and the outcome? This just is really starting to feel like a sweatshop.

I did call the labor board - they were not very interested

[ In Reply To ..]
the guy said well, we were free to engage in other activities while waiting for work right? I don't think he really understood.

You could take a 2nd job with another company, - and toggle back and forth?

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to do that with my freelance work. Whenever my company's work pipeline ran dry, I just switched over to my freelance sideline.

sure - but

[ In Reply To ..]
MM now requires us to get those hours in. If there's no work, it has to be made up somewhere, somehow.

That happened to me back in 2009... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I called the DOL in the state of my former MTSO because I wasn't even paid minimum wage. I would make $2-3/hr sometimes. But I was IC so it may be different for employee status. When I said how I sat there and waited for work and never got any, the DOL told me that I couldn't prove I was at my desk all day and not off doing something else. I kept track of my in/out times, # of hours worked and # of reports per day and then calculated my LPH and wages, and sent that to the DOL and it did jack squat! I low balled myself when I figured I wasn't paid $700 by that MTSO and when the DOL said I had not case, I quit! You can try but I doubt it'll get anywhere and don't waste any money on an attorney either because they won't even talk to you w/o a retainer and who can afford that?

There are PLENTY of attorneys who work pro bono - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

I researched the laws myself. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
Technically, we aren't forced to sit at our computer. They fixed that with the 6-minute NJA policy. Also, according to federal law, we are "waiting to be engaged" because we are able to get up and do other things while waiting for work (because we are telecommuters). If we were inhouse, we would be "engaged to be waiting" which means a person cannot leave while waiting for work.

Some states, like California, have minimum hour requirements. In California, if you are scheduled to work, and there is no work or not enough work, the employer is required to pay you for 4 hours, whether a combination of worked hours and NJA hours or just straight NJA hours.

Unfortunately, it is legal not to provide us with work as there is no guarantee of work. Although, again, some states require payment for a certain number of hours if scheduled to work.

It is also legal for them to fire us because of lack of work as we are "at-will" employees which basically means we can be hired and let go at their whim.

It is legal for them to make you take your PTO. I also discovered that, technically, they could call you while you are out on PTO and tell you to come back to work. There is no law requiring an employer to provide PTO.

Most of the laws are federal laws, with a few states that have modifying laws that provide greater benefit for the employee, such as higher minimum wage and no work pay requirements.

I searched long and hard for something to get them on. Most of the laws are federal laws. That is where I found "waiting to be engaged" and "engaged to be waiting" - direct quotes from the law.

I found that too, did you find anything on - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Being terminated for work we don't get paid for, such as ADT? I've been searching long and hard too, but mostly for being held responsible for work we don't get paid for and I can't find anything.

They can easily say that pay is built in. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They can say our 4 cpl includes pay for ADT. They can say that we are actually paid 3 cpl, but 1 cpl is compensation for ADT. Actually, if you ever submit a report that has no dictation, you get credit for 1 line.
Maybe but - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I suppose that would be true if their policy didn't state otherwise. Under Policy Name: DEP Promotable and Supportable Units of Measure - HDS
"The count excludes document headers, document footers, CCs, QA Markers and ADT information not entered into the unformatted document."

What I am wondering is - - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether the unreasonable QA score of 99.7% can constitute a hostile work environment. Just 2 "punctuation" errors will fail you. And these errors have absolutely no effect on the readability or on patient care.

Face it, they are playing by the rules - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If they weren't they would have been caught and made to change it already. We may not like the rules, probably never even read our contracts completely. This job sucks plain and simple. If it is affecting your mental health, as it very easily can, then get out asap. The job isn't going to be around too much longer anyway, may as well start and exit plan.

Similar Messages:

Look At This Regarding Overtime - Found It On A Labor Attorney Website.
Oct 14, 2012

Piece rate — The regular rate of pay for an employee paid on a piecework basis is obtained by dividing the total weekly earnings by the total number of hours worked in that week. The employee is entitled to an additional one-half times this regular rate for each hour over 40, plus the full piecework earnings. Example: An employee paid on a piecework basis works 45 hours in a week and earns $315. The regular rate of pay for that week is $315 divided by 45, or $7.00 an hour. In addition to ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Mindlance? Anyone Been Contacted By Them?
Mar 03, 2011

I got a voicemail from Vamshi Reddy.  He had an accent, but I decided to call out of curiousity, since I am always looking for better opportunities.  Well, his accent was even worse (when not scripted) obviously and he sounded a million miles away, though I reached him at a 201 area code.  Could not understand him, nor he I.  I asked him what I would be typing, Radiology, acute care, etc, he couldn't understand me.  At one point it sounded like he was offering a cou ...

What Happens If You Have Contacted The Mods Several
Apr 30, 2012

times about a company not paying and they are ignoring the emails?  Who do I contact now? ...

Anyone Have Any Info On Diskriter Or Been Contacted?
Jul 12, 2010

Anyone have any info on Diskriter or been contacted?  I rec'd a call but we missed each other.  Anything, good or bad.  I am employed right now, but always on the lookout for something else or perhaps something in addition to what I have.  Also if you did apply and tested, how was that.  Please feel free to e-mail me, if your experience cannot be posted on this board!   Thanks! ...

I Contacted A Supervisor Other Than Mine And Got
Aug 31, 2010

region when I had had my fill of NJA on the last region I was assigned to.  Where I am now is certainly not perfect, has some NJA, some nasty dictation, but I do have something to type the majority of the time.  If you could come up with the name of one of these supervisors with the critical backlog, fire off a request to be moved.  Worked for me (about 10 months ago).  ...

Anybody Contacted About Landmark Pysch Jobs Yet? Nm
Oct 11, 2010

f ...

Attorney At Law
Aug 30, 2010

Why is the above subject not hyphenated whereas father-in-law is hyphenated as per the 2nd edition of the Book of Style?  Anybody with the correct answer?  Thanks, confused. ...

Need Attorney
Aug 04, 2013

I'm working for a company that I feel is gyping me over on pay.  I am a very experienced MT, working for a company...they have me on over 15 accounts and using over 6 different platforms.  I work the graveyard shift and cover all stats.  I get paid $1.20 a report (radiology and cardiology).  My base rate pay is $12.44 an hour.  Sometimes I can only type 4-5 reports in an hour (long cardiology and ESL doctors who you can't understand).  I can type up to 20 ...

ATTORNEY
Apr 15, 2014

If there are any MTs/MLSs who live in PA, northern Ohio who work for M-Modal, please contact me. I can get the party started for all of you with an Employment Rights Law Firm to see if you indeed have a case against the company. Sounds like you may have a case; I've already spoken with my attorney who is handing another case for me and he is interested in pursuing these types of cases, particularly those who are not being paid for work-related duties. ...

Been Contacted By Synernet And A Phone Call Has Been Scheduled
Dec 06, 2012

Greetings MT sisters, After taking several tests I have been contacted by Synernet and a phone call has been scheduled.  The job in question is full time, which is really more than I'd planned on doing. Still ...  If any of you know anything, good or bad, about this company, I'd be very grateful for you to share it. Particularly interested in availability of work; general quality of VR , if involved; and pay, of course.   Thanks a bunch Myrie in Portland OR   ...

An Attorney Who Has Represented An MT (sm)
Mar 03, 2010

I don't work for MQ but it sure looks like something is going on or about to go on that is not going to be to the benefit of the MTs.  Some months back an MT successfully sued an MTSO for a settlement of $98, 421.88 (yeah, I know!).  I printed off the attorney's name just in case I need it in the future.  Here it is: Rob Wiley Law office of Rob Wiley, P.C. 1825 Market Center Blvd. Suite 385 Dallas, Tx 75207  (tel. 214-528-6500). Good luck, you guys!   ...

HAS ANYONE SOUGHT AN ATTORNEY???
Mar 29, 2014

I am in the process of checking with a Texas Attorney about all of this. Has anyone who has been fired done so? ...

Has Anyone Used An Attorney To Collect Payment...
Aug 12, 2014

Hi, If you have used an attorney to collect payment on an invoice as an IC, I am curious to know how long it took to obtain payment and if you pursued any other damages such as the attorney's fees, bank charges incurred, etc., etc. and how long the process took.  I am out of patience with a small MTSO who pays consistently 1-4 days after payday and ready to pursue any and all avenues necessary to obtain payment since pay is late again and I have received no repsonse to my inquiries r ...

NEWS!! An Attorney Has Agreed To Take This Case!
Mar 04, 2010

I wrote in to ask for help from a major radio broadcaster who is a lawer, ***** (not allowed to advertise other websites here).  I briefly and objectively explained our quandary.  A lawyer said Mr. H_____ asked him to "briefly respond to your case" and is stepping up to the bat.  He said he believes we could have a case by "wrongful termination by constructive discharge."    His name is *****.  I'll be calling him on my lunch break and getting back to yo ...

Capitalization - Durable Power Of Attorney
Feb 19, 2013

Should "durable power of attorney" be typed in uppercase? ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Labor Trafficking
May 06, 2014

to consider MTs are victims of labor trafficking? And to the obvious comments about no one forcing MTs to keep their positions or don't be a victim...  This profession has been demolished by the greed of MTSOs and MTs were not part of the conversation (unless they were small MTSO owners who sold out or AAMT employees who sold us out).  MT has become an abusive and degrading job to have, no longer a profession.   Skip to main content U.S. Department of Healt ...

Labor Day And OOW, But Couldn't Have It Off?
Sep 01, 2014

I knew it....I am not a moron.....hiring all these MTs for these accounts, running OOW on a regular work day.....did they think we would all stay busy on Labor Day?  I am disgusted and am taking the day off.  I ask about being off.......NO.  Don't you think that managers could make schedules knowing the work is slow?  Let people off if they ask, making sure to have at least 2 MTs on in case some work comes in?  That is too easy a fix....let everyone just be OOW and ...

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

North NJA On A Normal Day, What Will Labor Day Be Like? NM
Sep 01, 2011

nm ...

Labor And Delivery Websites?
Oct 13, 2011

Anyone know of a good site for labor and delivery terms?  I can't seem to find one that has anything beyond laymen terms. Thanks in advance! ...

International Labor Partners, What Do They Do?
Apr 19, 2012

I've read on here previous comments about the ILPs not having the skill set to perform straight transcription/editing, and if that's true (and I tend to believe it myself), then exactly what is their purpose in the industry? Can they churn out the line count (or way above and beyond line requirements)? Can they create/edit a document that is ready for release to clients? Who QAs their grammar, punctuation, spelling (in correct English)? Can they precisely transcribe OR reports, car ...

Found This Under Dept Of Labor.....
Aug 07, 2012

Off-the-Clock References The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that covered non-exempt employees receive at least the minimum wage and at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. In general, "hours worked" includes all time an employee must be on duty, or on the employer's premises or at any other prescribed place of work. Also included is any additional time the employee is allowed (i.e., suffered or permitted) to work. The amo ...