A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fair Standards Labor Act - REQUIRES OT PAY

Posted: Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay. 

"All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential work is actual work if the employer "suffered or permitted" the employee to do it. An employer suffers or permits work if it knows the employee is doing the work (or could have found out by looking), and lets the employee do it.

With only a few exceptions, all time an employee is required to be at the premises of the employer is work time. All regular shift time is work time. This includes "breaks" (if there are breaks), and "nonproductive" time (for example, time spent by a receptionist reading a novel while waiting for the phone to ring). In addition, all time spent by an employee performing work-related activities that the employer suffers or permits is work time, whether on premises or not and whether "required" or not. "  http://www.flsa.com/overtime.html

This includes time reading emails, checking QA send backs, BREAKS. 

This is to be paid at time and a half of your calculated average pay. 

It is time we start including OT hours on our invoices. 

You might want to calculate your average hourly rate over a period of time and go by that. 

Here is the law  http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/overtimepay.htm

On the premises - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
"...all time spent on the premises." You are not on the employer's premises, you are at home. Does that mean they would have to pay you 24/7? Generally, employers have to approve overtime. When I worked on site straight production, I was not paid for anything other than the lines I produced. By law, you are permitted two 15-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch break, but the lunch break can be on your time. For instance, at my on site job, we work an 8-1/2 or 9-hour day because we don't get paid for our lunch break. The 15 minute breaks are not mandatory, not everyone takes them if we are really busy. You will not get paid overtime for taking a break. It is not necessary to go into overtime to read your e-mail, just count it as part of your workday. If a receptionist is reading a book on the job, I guarantee her employer will find something else for her to do to keep her occupied, that is not permitted where I work. No employer wants to pay people for leisure time. Asking people to falsify their time sheets is definitely a FSLA violation, and any employer doing that needs to be reported. I definitely understand where you are going with this but I'm guessing that if there are loopholes the MTSOs will find them. All I can say is document everything and good luck.

not all states pay for the two 15 minute breaks - my state does not

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont get any paid breaks at all. If I want a break, I have to punch out and it is not paid.

what about downtime? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If this is the case, why are we not compensated for downtime, waiting for work to come in? I always felt like I was "on the clock" waiting for jobs to trickle in, but my company does not agree. Technically, I only get paid when my fingers are punching the keyboard IN A REPORT. Anything, and I mean anything other than that loses me money, including breaks, lunch, reading emails, reviewing my QA, sending messages to QA, writing/sending emails, reviewing account specifics, and various other clerical duties that are becoming more and more time consuming.

and also... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I want to add that getting paid with a line rate has become a ripoff for the MT. I worked at a car dealership ages ago as a receptionist. If there was no paperwork to do and the phone wasn't ringing, I sat and read a book or did homework. Still got hourly pay because I was "manning my station," available when there was something to do, and there was not always something to do. Piecework pay is totally different.

I have never gotten time and a half pay for working OT as an MT. It is simply extra lines to get paid for. Only exception is holiday pay. Is anyone getting paid time and a half for OT as MT??

We should be paid for sitting at our computers waiting for work. - Sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think its right to make MTs sit at their computers using their unpaid time to constantly check for work. I don't go extended periods of time without work so I can go relax or read a book. I spend that time at my computer, waiting. I may check an email but that is it, I don't have time to go and take an hour break, then I will be working an hour late. I want the dictations in my scheduled hours, not sit their all day and night at my computer hoping to get a halfway decent line count in.
Unfortunately, you cannot make doctors dictate at a certain time - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you could make doctors dictate at certain times, but......they do whatever they want to.

Several years ago, when I was doing mostly office work, I was given a 3-day TAT, and they were still using tapes. Now, I do mostly acute care with same day TAT and some office work, but because it is called in, everybody wants their work right then and there. I get dictation called in as late as 2 a.m. and can sit for periods of time on certain days waiting for work also, so I now sleep in on those days. I feel your frustration....

The problem is... - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs don't seem to care that what they are doing is illegal, at least they don't care until they are sued. Until that happens, they will just fire you for punching in to train, answer email, do their bookeeping, waiting for work, etc., etc.

My last MTSO, Meridian HC, - In a better place now

[ In Reply To ..]
said we could work unlimited hours as long as we only put down 40 hours per week on our time sheet. They never paid me time a half once. Then when they started the pay cuts 2 years ago and started begging for people to put in extra hours to help here and there, I was like, no way... done with that. I'm sure Meridian isnt the only one who pulls that either.

no they are not the only one. but solution is to hire more.. - rock and hard place. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Fair Labor Standards Act Info
Dec 01, 2014

How may of us are sitting around waiting for work to come in?  We are tied to our computers hoping for something but we get no pay for that time until maybe a report shows up.  Then we sit and wait...and wait...and wait. Should we dare to walk away and something comes in, we get a smackdown if we miss the new and ridiculous 4-hour TAT.  Well, this is what I found researching the U.S. Dept of Labor.   Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depe ...

Recordkeeping Requirements Under The Fair Labor Standards Acts (FLSA)
Jun 28, 2012

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm Start keeping strict records now, based upon the guidelines at this web site. Note in the article the use of the word "piecemeal," which is what the per line rate is. ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

I Downloaded The Labor Standards Complaint Form
Apr 05, 2012

For the great State of Wisconsin (as they say). All that free data entry we do, headers and so on - yeah, I'm gonna put a price on all that.  Go ahead and tell me, State of Wisconsin, that in the great United States of America, workers can be expected to DONATE their time and effort to a company, and it's A-OK.  Go ahead, tell me that - so I can add it into my video. ...

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

ASR And Standards
Dec 08, 2009

I know the rule has always been if the report type has a standard with more than 6 headings that we can hit F11 and type the job.  Now I sorta remember reading that was changing.  Does anyone know if it has and what the new rule is? ...

VR Standards
Dec 23, 2009

This is just my observation.  I am presently working on VR and have been for about 1-1/2 months.  On my straight typing accounts, we followed the Book of Style and typed verbatim.  VR is a whole different world.  Where as we had to spell out abbreviations in the impression, plan, preoperative diagnoses, etc., with straight typing, on VR we are told to not expand abbreviations.  We are also told that unless the statement makes no sense whatsoever to send it to QA, b ...

FYI - Standards
Jan 08, 2010

Just to let you all know, after talking with my CCM, what happened to me was an error and has been fixed.  We *do* get paid for standards. Sorry if I freaked anyone, besides myself, out with my post. ;o) ...

More About Standards
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for all your comments about inserting standards but I am not concerned about mistakes in them at audits.  I am at the point where I don't care if I am fired.  The point I wanted to make is that the quality of the standard from the hospital was horrendous yet obviously acceptable because it comes from them yet we are expected to be 99% accurate under the worst possible circumstances.  If this weren't so pitiful and causing so many MTs so much distress, it would be ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...

Fair Pay??
Mar 24, 2012

This may have been discussed before, and if so, I missed it, but SR seems to be getting worse and worse all the time (and I use M*Modal for two different MTSOs), picking up less and less of what is actually said.  This is even on very clear-speaking dictators.  Some have been to the point of SR getting maybe 2 words right in 2 sentences.  In this case, I'm actually "typing," but getting paid the SR rate.  It struck me that the only fair way to be paid would be to be paid ...

How Is It Fair
Jan 08, 2014

Everyone of my accounts now requires manual addition of CCs and/or manual addition of ADT information and I don't get compensated? This rots, getting ready to quit. ...

SR Pay Methods/standards
Nov 05, 2009

My hospital is transitioning into SR using APEX. We're being told that they want to base our expect standards on VBC (visual black characters), saying this is "the industry standard".  Are the rest of you on SR/VR paid by VBC, lines, or minutes?  What were the justifications given?  We've been paid for the last 10 years by minutes so aren't thinking this is a good change.  Any feedback would be helpful.  We are a union shop so would love to hear from other ...

Standards/templates
Dec 16, 2010

I've been with MQ for about 2 months now.  I've noticed that many, many of the dictators use what we used to call "standards" or templates.  We just inserted the canned text and made changes where indicated. Is this allowed?  I know some has their own (crtl S), but can I make my own and use them?  ...

Question - Standards/F11
Jun 09, 2011

When a report requires a standard be used and it is an ASR report, if the MT knows what the standard headings are, isn't it acceptable to just type in the headings in the appropriate places within the ASR, rather than pulling in the standard by Ctrl S?     ...

Are We Paid For Standards?
Jul 05, 2012

Can anyone tell me if we are paid for standards brought into reports or only what we add to it?  I did a very long OP note yesterday that had a large standard and quite a bit of dictation along with it and am surprised to see I only received 9.38 lines for it.  Something doesn't seem right, I know I type more than 9.38 lines even without the standard!   ...

Inserting Standards
Jul 23, 2012

Our facilities have many docs who say "insert my standard."  Yesterday I got a new one which was beyond belief.  The format was wrong; the PE was double spaced instead of single.  Some of the headings were capitalized and some were not.  There were spelling errors.  No Murmurs, Rubs or Gallops appeared like so, etc., etc.  Someone somewhere had to produce this PE and this is what the hospital is using as their standard.  Next time I get a piece of crap like thi ...

How Do I Toggle To Standards
Oct 24, 2012

When I am in a job, and the doctor requests standard, ctrl S does not always toggle me to the standard list.  Is there another way without using my mouse?  thank you in advance.  ...

Who Writes These Standards
Oct 24, 2012

Standard name doesnt even match what doc dictated,,the numbers he dictates dont match and the spelling...dont even get me started on that!!! ...

Doctors Using Standards
Oct 31, 2012

Anyone else get really annoyed when a doctor says "use my standard" and then proceeds to make half a dozen changes to it?  What they would like us to do is remove part of the dictation, go down to the bottom, get the appropriate text, copy, delete, move it back to the correct place in the report and then, of course, edit it.  Doing this multiple times is not only excessively time consuming but makes it very easy to accidentally delete text.  Just curious if you are all doing this. ...

Normals/standards
Apr 22, 2014

Okay, if you want me to be 99.7% then at least have the information in the normals/standards correct.  Misspelled words, punctuation errors.  Really?  Have to go in and change a LOT in order to "attempt" to make 99.7%.  Thinking I am no longer going to change them and when i get "nicked," I am going to say "that's how it was entered."  Sorry for the rant. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

Fair Chance Or Not?
Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this? ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

How Do They Call This Fair?
Aug 15, 2013

So, I have a VR job and the VR is just bad.  I FINALLY got to where I could make around $11.00 per hour and was thinking okay, maybe this won't be so bad.  Well, just as I got up to where I could make a decent living, my MTSO decides to do a random audit and completely tore my reports apart.  There were NO critical errors and no errors that affected the content of the report, just things like commas in the wrong place, using a comma when dictator said "and" and other simple t ...

When Did We Stop Getting Credit For Standards? - Sm
Jan 06, 2010

Last night I did two fairly long duplex studies where the doctor says "use my standard" with a lot of "move this, take that out, insert this..."  Not difficult, but time consuming.  When I went in to look at my line count after my shift, I got a total of 20 lines for the two reports, or 16.48 cents!  What gives with this?  Did I miss the memo, or did they just not tell us?  Next week they'll be asking us to pay them when we actually get work. :o( ...

Medquist Standards And Guidelines
Mar 10, 2010

Before I appear dumb to supervisor, can somebody tell me where do I find "MedQuist Standards and Guidelines?" ...

What Line Counts Standards Are Out There
Jul 29, 2010

I am just curious as to what line count standards are out there. What are your line count requirements for the day and how much do you use your QA for things like missing encounters, unable to ID patients, incorrect work types? Where I work our standards are relatively lower than other places, however, we also are required to match encounters, determine the work type, send an email for each work type or inrcorrect MRN, create a temporary patient if we cannot find the patient anywhere in the s ...