A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

According to US Dept of Labor - how can they say this?

Posted: Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.

What a crock.

Yeah, the need will grow but - vf

[ In Reply To ..]
they still won't pay MT's what they're worth and they will overwork you as an editor and pay you even less.

Getting Out of MT! - OuttaHere

[ In Reply To ..]
Agreed. I'm getting out of the field and looking for something in medical records. Really tired of the back-and-forth and getting paid pennies per line, lack of jobs in my area, QA, remanded to work on holidays and weekends, etc. If there is a sudden boom MT jobs in the next couple of years, then hey, my skills will come in handy. For now, I hope I can find an hourly better paying job as in medical records.

I am out of MT - and doing clerical work. see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm out of MT, doing clerical work in a doctor's office. When it's hectic, it's crazy, but there are also lulls where I kind of just sit there, but hey, they are paying me. Just because nobody walked through the door or the phones aren't ringing, they're still paying me.

I felt funny the other day just sitting there without work, yet getting paid, so I went around an disinfected the patient waiting area with a disinfectant wipe.
I'd rather... - sm - OuttaHere
[ In Reply To ..]
...have a job, too, that will still pay me when there's nothing to do. By the way, not all medical records jobs pay $10 to $13 per hour. Some of those jobs pay based on experience. I know of a medical records job that offers $18 per hour, at least in my city, for which I did apply, so it differs.
Medical records jobs - Anon Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I transitioned from MT to an hourly medical records/health informatics job that pays quite a bit more than $10 to $13 an hour, and I live in a small city in an area that is not known for its high wages. If a certain salary is posted, it does not mean that is what they are going to pay you. During the interview process, you can negotiate your salary. Like the others, I am enjoying the stability of an hourly wage, a steady paycheck and decent benefits. I get to work on a lot of different things, which I really enjoy. I haven't had the experience of having nothing to do, we are busy all the time.
Can you tell me what exactly you do in records/informatics? - Looking to do this myself
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Wide variety of jobs in health information (med recs) - See Msg
[ In Reply To ..]
The best way to see what we do in HIM and informatics is to visit the websites of some recognized professional associations. The AHIMA website actually explains the various jobs and how to get into them, training required, certifications, and even has some career paths showing ways of entering the profession and moving up.

It kind of surprises me that a lot of MTs do not realize that they already work in HIM. MT is a function of HIM. A lot of what you know can be transferred to new jobs in HIM.

If you choose to do a training program, what you know can make the studies easier, go faster, or you can even use what you know to test out of courses like med terms and anatomy, and even coding. You can get a head start on many programs by taking the CLEP tests on general subjects like English, math, history, languages, accounting . . . you can get credit for the exams you pass. That can cut months or even years off a degree program, or lessen the course load enough that it is easier to complete while working.

You do not need to have a college in your area. Most programs now have online classes with little instructor interaction, and all AHIMA-accredited HIT and HIA programs teach the same thing, so you can go with the least expensive. San Juan College in Farmington, New Mexico, is very reasonable for just the RHIT, but RHIT programs can take 3 or 4 years for just a 2-year degree. The overall best bet right now is Western Governors University health informatics RHIA program. Their tuition is unbelievably reasonable and because you can complete the courses as fast as you are able, their average time to completion on a 4-year degree is 2-1/2 years. They have an almost unheard of pass rate on the RHIA exam--100%--where the pass rate of other programs is less than 50%. They are not a diploma mill, either--they are nonprofit.

Are student loans worth it for HIM? I think they are totally worth it for the RHIA from Western Governors. Your total loan burden can be very low and your job salary prospects very good, especially if you live in an urban area. I think loans are a poor investment for RHIT programs because the salaries and job prospects are not as good, and because the schools have such low pass rates on the cert exams that many grads never get anywhere. I think tuition at for-profits and diploma mills is ridiculous and not a worthwhile investment at all. If you already have a bachelor's in any field, the certificate program in HIA at the University of Toledo is a reasonable option, even with student loans, taking only about a year for the RHIA.

For an overall view, see www.ahima.org.

For another view of coding, see www.aapc.com.

For clinical documentation improvement, look up ACDIS.

For informatics, see www.himss.org. Also google health informatics initiative to find information on training programs in that. Bellevue College in Washington State has one. There are tuition programs available for those, or at least there were. The problem with those programs is that I have yet to see jobs opening up for them. Mostly I see RHIAs and RHITs using the programs to update their skills or get additional credentials. If you are not already in HIM, your best bet would be an informatics degree/RHIA like the one from WGU.

As I said above, the AHIMA website has a career map showing ways to get in and move up. You can get in and start working, then continue your education.

HIM is a continuous-learning field. It changes with technology and medicine, requiring those in it to change and grow. If you do not want to stay in entry-level positions or even be pushed out of them, you should expect to keep learning.
THANK YOU for the wealth of information! - MTPockets
[ In Reply To ..]
This article is a goldmine of information. I have been researching some of this stuff for quite a while but couldn't find some of these valuable resources. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post these very helpful links!
Answer RE what I do - Anon Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I am abstracting data from our patient data base to be used in a number of studies and for follow up purposes, so I work on different projects, including things that involve transcription. I also review patient records for compliance purposes (I have a coding background). For me it's a hybrid job that I fell into since leaving MT so I am still learning. I'm in my late 50s and would enroll in a college program but I want to retire in a few years. HIM (health information management) and health informatics are growing fields and many MTs are smoothly making this transition. If your local college offers a program, it's worth pursuing, I think there are also on line schools.

Rude Awakening - Medical record jobs dont pay much either. - $10 to $13 an hour in my are and

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a reasonably size city.
Only lower med recs jobs pay that - You need education and certificatiom
[ In Reply To ..]
Only relatively unskilled medical records jobs pay that little. Those are mostly jobs in filing, release of information, etc. They are the jobs that you can get with no specific training or as a new grad of a 2-year RHIT program who has not passed the exam or does not wish to code.

Specialized jobs doing more technical and challenging work like coding, informatics, privacy, compliance, and so forth, especially if they require certification or an RHIA, pay much better.

If all you look at are job ads in the paper or those announced to the general public, you will be misled into thinking medical records is all clerical and low-paying work.

People do not spend 4 years in college, thousands on certification prep courses, and hundreds on exams, followed by hundreds to thousands for certification upkeep, to get a job that pays 10 to 13 an hour.
Well then you should have been more specific. You are speaking - of HIM, which is
[ In Reply To ..]
Health Information Management. Big difference between that coding and medical records.

I have worked my entire career in a hospital setting so I know the various positions.

everything looks different on paper. its specultion into the future - not the real true experience. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
did they factor in offshoring and VRecog, EMR???

doubt it.

recognized as a top career choice - my favorite part

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually made me laugh.

Do you think it's remotely possible? - would be ironic

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you think it's even a little bit possible that MT will become "hot" again after all those people have to get on insurance? Wouldn't that be something if we all got out and then suddenly it did become a hot profession again.

It all depends on US cost -vs- India costs - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Govt - Elonmt

[ In Reply To ..]
What year was this said?

Similar Messages:

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

Found This Under Dept Of Labor.....
Aug 07, 2012

Off-the-Clock References The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that covered non-exempt employees receive at least the minimum wage and at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. In general, "hours worked" includes all time an employee must be on duty, or on the employer's premises or at any other prescribed place of work. Also included is any additional time the employee is allowed (i.e., suffered or permitted) to work. The amo ...

I Will Be Contacting My State's Dept. Of Labor.
Aug 19, 2010

Last pay check, I did not receive the PTO I requested in SS and was granted by my CCM. I contacted payroll immediately. Mind you, this happened to me once before.  It took 1 email and 1 phone call and I had a check the very next day. It is now a week later.  I have been around and around with payroll and my CCM.  FINALLY, yesterday, I get an email that they owe me the PTO and will add it onto MY NEXT CHECK. I don't think so.  That is money that I earned and am entitl ...

Waiting On A Call Back From Dept Of Labor
Oct 07, 2010

I would encourage everyone to call their local DOL about this issue. When we sit here for 20-30 minutes typing a job and lose it due to no fault of our own, we should be compensated for the time that we sat here.  I left a message for my local DOL, hopefully will get a call back, but it seems to me that constitutes not getting paid for hours worked, which is illegal.  If anyone else has checked into this, let me know. Thanks! ...

US Dept Of Labor Back Wages Payment
Jul 31, 2013

Anyone else get a sweet check from K&R for back wages and a letter from Department of Labor? ...

Shouldn't All MTSOs Be Investigated By The Dept Of Labor?
Apr 04, 2015

Landmark:  They were sued with a class action for FLSA violation, for "willfull and reckless" nonpayment of overtime in 2011.  I have not seen a suit for minimum wage.  Anyone aware of any suits besides the one against Landmark?  ...

313-226-7448 616-456-2004 Call Either Number For US Dept Of Labor
Sep 19, 2012

Called state DOL and was given these numbers for US DOL because the company grosses over half a million a year.  I called and left message regarding OT practices at Nuance.  Will update when I get a call back.  ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Does Anyone Know The # To Payroll Dept?
Oct 21, 2013

I no longer work there and need to get in touch with them.  Need a copy of W2 and did not have to file a tax return because I did not make enough and do not have a copy of the W2.  Need it for financial aid.   ...

MM Help...how To Contact HR Dept?
Sep 23, 2014

Not sure if I'm just drawing a blank or if I'm going crazy (or both), but didn't our old email system (before IPSWITCH Imail Server) have a bunch of different sections, specifically how/where to contact Human Resources? Can't seem to find it anywhere and the old email system won't let me log in....? ...

Epic - Changes In # Of Staff In HIM Dept?
Mar 07, 2013

Hi.  I am in my third week of employment as a coder!  Yay!  I am learning a lot, still going to school FT, and commuting 1 hour each way to work.  I am the "low man on the totum pole."  We are starting to train for Epic which is supposed to be going live in a few months.  Has Epic affected the work load in that there is a reduction of coders/transcriptions where you work?  Just wondering.  I do other clerical duties such as pulling charts, abstracting, and ...

Anyone Have The Phone # For The HR Dept At MModal?
Aug 18, 2013

I would appreciate it. Need it for applying for UE tomorrow. Any help...thanks. ...

Email From IT Dept At Imedx
Dec 02, 2014

I just love emails from IT department at imedx. It is like solving a puzzle to figure out what they are trying to communicate. More fun and sparkle added to my day! Message to Imedx: Hire 1 English as first language IT person to commicate with your US employees. Just fuels my belief that despite what I have been told, you have NO intention of keeping me on as an employee long-term. This is just common sense, which in my opinion most of your decisions so far seem to be greatly lacking! P.S. Sure ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

What Dept Is Notified When A Patient Leaves AMA With Equipment Attached
Oct 12, 2011

? ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Labor Trafficking
May 06, 2014

to consider MTs are victims of labor trafficking? And to the obvious comments about no one forcing MTs to keep their positions or don't be a victim...  This profession has been demolished by the greed of MTSOs and MTs were not part of the conversation (unless they were small MTSO owners who sold out or AAMT employees who sold us out).  MT has become an abusive and degrading job to have, no longer a profession.   Skip to main content U.S. Department of Healt ...

Labor Day And OOW, But Couldn't Have It Off?
Sep 01, 2014

I knew it....I am not a moron.....hiring all these MTs for these accounts, running OOW on a regular work day.....did they think we would all stay busy on Labor Day?  I am disgusted and am taking the day off.  I ask about being off.......NO.  Don't you think that managers could make schedules knowing the work is slow?  Let people off if they ask, making sure to have at least 2 MTs on in case some work comes in?  That is too easy a fix....let everyone just be OOW and ...

North NJA On A Normal Day, What Will Labor Day Be Like? NM
Sep 01, 2011

nm ...

Labor And Delivery Websites?
Oct 13, 2011

Anyone know of a good site for labor and delivery terms?  I can't seem to find one that has anything beyond laymen terms. Thanks in advance! ...

International Labor Partners, What Do They Do?
Apr 19, 2012

I've read on here previous comments about the ILPs not having the skill set to perform straight transcription/editing, and if that's true (and I tend to believe it myself), then exactly what is their purpose in the industry? Can they churn out the line count (or way above and beyond line requirements)? Can they create/edit a document that is ready for release to clients? Who QAs their grammar, punctuation, spelling (in correct English)? Can they precisely transcribe OR reports, car ...

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Question About Labor Board
Nov 02, 2012

Does anyone know, with an IC working in one state and the MTSO having her business in another state, which state I would file a claim with the labor board for wages not paid.  This is a minimal amount but this lady has one excuse after another, she has been sick, she had personal problems, her daughter had an appointment.  I am at a point where I am finished and want to file a claim with the labor board, she has too many personal problems/issues to be in business.  I will not ...

From 30K Per Year To Slave Labor
Dec 03, 2012

Good morning fellow MTs, Well our hospital just outsourced a huge part of our transcription. I am seeing this trend and it breaks my heart.  When you go from a good salary and benefits with affordable insurance to a company who pays  you barely minimum wage - it is WRONG!  Is there any one out there who thinks that these companies OWE it to us MTs who have been in the field 20+ years to pay us what we are worth?  And not by the line???? I am so frustrated and angry that thes ...

Has Anyone Contacted A Labor Attorney?
Feb 14, 2014

I am wondering if anyone else has contacted a labor attorney regarding the legality of being forced to either sit at your computer for hours on end, use PTO time or risk being fired for their inability to provide work for us? I have an appointment to speak with one, but I was just wondering if anyone else had looked into this and the outcome? This just is really starting to feel like a sweatshop. ...