A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

US Fair Labor Act - You will not believe what I just found!

Posted: Sep 20, 2011

(e)
Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and Congress
Whenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact resulted, or is in fact likely to result, from such competition, he shall make a full and complete report of his findings and determinations to the President and to the Congress: Provided, That he may also include in such report information on the increased employment resulting from additional exports in any industry under this chapter as he may determine to be pertinent to such report.

So why has this not been done?  I have lost so many jobs over the past 5 years to overseas it is not funny! 

Follow that up with the Secretary of Labor - e-mail that I have just sent one to

[ In Reply To ..]
So I have sent Secretary Solis an e-mail asking her to investigate the loss of jobs in this industry as is required by her in the Labor Act.

who is going to join me?

For more information about the Secretary, contact:

U.S. Department of Labor
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20210
(202) 693-6000

E-mail Secretary Solis at talktosolis@dol.gov.

Email on its way - KimCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My email has been sent. I hope others do the same. After 21 years in this profession, it has been very difficult to watch it deteriorate.

Mine on the way too - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just sent my email too. I hope this helps, but really not sure if it will! It is worth a try though!
Very true "not sure if it will help" - but by law it should - from original poster
[ In Reply To ..]
But having been a paralegal for 20 years before 15 years of MT work (had to switch as 4 kids with daycare was too much!) - she is obligated by law to do this!
Unfortunately I think the government cares more about all the trade agreements than they - care about our jobs.
[ In Reply To ..]
Why else would they have been in India not too long ago (earlier this year or maybe late last year) to promote that we need to help create more jobs from America for their economy?

Could you give me a sample of this - e-mail...

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no clue what I am supposed to write. Dont want to sound like an idiot (anymore than I already do).

Thanks.

sample was posted at the - main board

[ In Reply To ..]
and I omitted my own personal story - and you should add yours.

I am hoping that finding this statutory obligation of the Secretary of Labor will help all US medical transcriptionists.

I do realize that the day of making 14 cpl straight type for any company are over, but still I can make a decent living if I have enough reports to type.

The sample is below and not at - the main board any longer

[ In Reply To ..]
Remove the parts in parens and put in your own story - also change any other parts to fit you

Good afternoon Secretary Solis,

First thank you for taking on this very onerous job in the state of our recent economy.

Second, I would like to help inform you of a plight of one of America's most productive industries and that is the one of medical transcription.

By way of background, I have lost no less than 4 jobs in the last 5 years to companies who are overseas. The most productive of which was (so here I put in my personal experience such as a large account I personally held and employed MTs which went to Pakistan. The others have gone to India, most recently an account which I have held for 15 years as a subcontractor for an MTSO - this cost close to 30 people to lose their jobs.)

In searching the internet, I am not alone. I have been out of work since May of this year, this with 15 years experience under my belt. (I then put in my experience trying to find a decent MT job and pay my bills. I do have 1 account, but not enough work to type)

I would urge you Madam Secretary in according with the Fair Labor Standards Act to please investigate this in the hopes that this can be corrected. If you go to Mtstars.com you will see that there are literally thousands of medical transcriptionist who can not make a fair dollar any more in our current economy.

Until today, I have only written my US congressman and the President himself stating "stop the overseas off shoring of American jobs. Keeping American money in America will keep America going!"

When looking up some labor laws today I found this clause in the above mentioned Act

e)
Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and Congress
Whenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact resulted, or is in fact likely to result, from such competition, he shall make a full and complete report of his findings and determinations to the President and to the Congress: Provided, That he may also include in such report information on the increased employment resulting from additional exports in any industry under this chapter as he may determine to be pertinent to such report.

As an honest, hard working American, I beg you to please do as this Act asks in the industry of medical transcription.

Thank you for your time in reading this,

The other thing I was thinking... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
was ABC evening news. They've been trying to assert this "buy American" policy and how important it is to keep US jobs in the US. I think it would be interesting to see what the US citizens knew what was going on. Don't have time this eve, but will be sending emails to all.

Way too cool for you to do that - if you have e-mails

[ In Reply To ..]
to share either by e-mail or publically, I would more than help you duplicate it.

And you know, it is not just MTs, but medical billers, medical coders and other IT professionals that are losing their US jobs to overseas, but also alot of others who process work over the internet.

I sometimes wonder what state we would be in had we just kept it simple - transcribing from tapes, printing off the reports and handing them in?

Got a response from Solis - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
OK. I got this response from emailing Solis: "Thank you for your email. Your message has been received." Another brush off ....

But at least you did something! - Kudos
[ In Reply To ..]
Kudos to you and everyone else who at least tried. My draft needs a little tweaking and then it will be on its way. Maybe a high enough volume of emails/letters will get someone's attention.
Maybe a high enuf volue of e-mails/letters will get attention - I agree with you
[ In Reply To ..]
I also e-mailed all of my senators, etc. and got a very positive response today.

I also sent this to every friend I know who is an MT and asking them to please e-mail Secretary Solis. Like the other gal, I got the same response from Secretary Solis - but per the Act, our requests can not go ignored or she is being derelict of her duty as required by her under the Act.

Similar Messages:

Fair Standards Labor Act
Oct 28, 2012

The U.S. Dept. of Labor requires time and a half pay for all hours over 40 worked in a work week.  (I think only if employee status.)  We are considered piecemeal workers and indeed are eligible for OT pay.  "All time spent by an employee performing activities which are job-related is potentially "work time." This includes the employee's regular "on the clock" work time, plus "off the clock" time spent performing job-related activities (which benefit the employer). Potential ...

Fair Labor Standards Act Info
Dec 01, 2014

How may of us are sitting around waiting for work to come in?  We are tied to our computers hoping for something but we get no pay for that time until maybe a report shows up.  Then we sit and wait...and wait...and wait. Should we dare to walk away and something comes in, we get a smackdown if we miss the new and ridiculous 4-hour TAT.  Well, this is what I found researching the U.S. Dept of Labor.   Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depe ...

Recordkeeping Requirements Under The Fair Labor Standards Acts (FLSA)
Jun 28, 2012

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm Start keeping strict records now, based upon the guidelines at this web site. Note in the article the use of the word "piecemeal," which is what the per line rate is. ...

She Dictates "He Is Fair Com Plected" Meaning He Has A Fair Complexion
Feb 08, 2010

Good morning all - I'm trying for a dermatologist today.  Not my usual account.  She dictates "He is fair com plected" meaning he has a fair complexion.  What is the right way to spell complected? I googled it, came up with a lot of variations and nothing concrete.  Thanks for your time!  ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

ORO FAIR NIX
May 20, 2010

... when dictators say "ORO-FAIR-NIX" for oropharynx or "LAIR-NIX" for larynx?  When they think of lynx do they say "LNIX" or manx and say "MNAX" ??  :) ...

Fair Pay??
Mar 24, 2012

This may have been discussed before, and if so, I missed it, but SR seems to be getting worse and worse all the time (and I use M*Modal for two different MTSOs), picking up less and less of what is actually said.  This is even on very clear-speaking dictators.  Some have been to the point of SR getting maybe 2 words right in 2 sentences.  In this case, I'm actually "typing," but getting paid the SR rate.  It struck me that the only fair way to be paid would be to be paid ...

How Is It Fair
Jan 08, 2014

Everyone of my accounts now requires manual addition of CCs and/or manual addition of ADT information and I don't get compensated? This rots, getting ready to quit. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

Fair Chance Or Not?
Mar 03, 2012

Was just wondering if you seasoned MT's think 5 weeks on a new job is a fair chance for a fairly new MT? New platform to be learned, and the dictations were from a big pool with a lot of different doctors, though not many ESL's, and QA was pretty picky. Any opinions on this? ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

How Do They Call This Fair?
Aug 15, 2013

So, I have a VR job and the VR is just bad.  I FINALLY got to where I could make around $11.00 per hour and was thinking okay, maybe this won't be so bad.  Well, just as I got up to where I could make a decent living, my MTSO decides to do a random audit and completely tore my reports apart.  There were NO critical errors and no errors that affected the content of the report, just things like commas in the wrong place, using a comma when dictator said "and" and other simple t ...

Fair Charge Per Line In GA
Jan 01, 2010

I'm thinking about trying to go out and get my own doctor's office and have a question about what is a fair rate per line in the state of Georgia. I've been doing some research but there seems to be a huge range. Can anyone tell me if $0.18/line seems fair? Thank you for any help or information!!!! ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Fair Standards Act/getting Together On This Stuff
Jan 04, 2010

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but it seems like with all the screwing over that some of these companies do to us (and I know it's no accident that they don't encourage us to communicate amongst ourselves), few people here are suggesting some way of getting together to "encourage" the companies we work for to screw us over less, or at least less painfully. I know there's a Fair Standards act, for example, that supposedly covers even us (working on production). Whi ...

Whats A Fair Price
Jan 20, 2010

Hi all, Quick question. I live in washington state and I just graduated from my MT course and had a doc call me to let me know that he wanted me to do transcription for him and my question is what is a fair price to be charging, all I ever hear is what is unfair. Thanks, Dude Mom ...

Fair Warning About WordzXpressed
Jul 15, 2010

I took their test for a QA position.  ELEVEN reports to type plus their written. I typed the reports, 2 reports had 1 blank, otherwise they were clean.  I get an email saying I didn't score high enough. I went back over each and every report, relistened and there were no errors.  So, just in case, I had someone else go over those reports and listen and she agreed with me, no errors with the exception of the 2 reports that had 1 blank.  That was a passing test.  This ...

It's Not Fair To Get Paid 1 Cpl For !@#$ Who Can't Talk
Oct 03, 2010

:(((((( ...

Since I Jumped Up And Down When There Was No Work, It Seems Only Fair Sm
Jan 09, 2011

to say that the work famine seems to be over at SoftScript ... whew!  I still think it was poor management and overhiring that made it as bad as it was, especially since I work for another MTSO who had work constantly throughout the holidays.   Still, I'm happy to see things flowing better so that maybe now I can make an accurate assessment as to whether it is worth it to me to stay. ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

Fair Cpl Rate For Newbie?
Mar 02, 2011

Just got a small temporary job helping a doc catch up on a backlog.  I will be working as an IC and the job is pretty small.  What would be a fair cpl rate to charge?  He's a friend from college, so he told me to name my price.  I'm a new transcription graduate with 2 advanced degrees.  Thanks!! ...

Fair Pay, Collective Action
Aug 14, 2011

MedQuist has steadily decreased its pay for speech recognition to a level that forces experienced medical transcriptionists into poverty.  Currently, speech recognition at 300 lines per hour pays less than that earned by a nursing assistant with only 2 weeks of training. We are calling for a universal action beginning 1 September 2011, with a demand that MedQuist increase the speech recognition rate to at least 85% of what we earn with straight transcription.  EFFECTIVE September 1, 2 ...

What Should Be Expected As A Fair Rate Now
Sep 15, 2011

I have never seen pay so low for MTs....I am really pretty shocked to see some of the rates.  I do realize that good ol' 11-12 cpl is never going to be coming back, I know the economy is not good for anyone, businesses included, but I really am wondering how low can I go and still make a decent living?  Now I am talking about somebody with a lot of years of experience in all fields.  I am thinking no lower than 8 for me, and even that makes me cringe, and I am trying to psych ...

MTs Seek A Fair Shake
Sep 11, 2012

I just saw this posted by AHDI and don't see it discussed yet. Just curious what you all think of this article?   ...

Fair Line Rate
Feb 17, 2013

Can someone give me what the fair line rate is for straight typing?  I was paid an hourly rate in my previous position, eliminated due to Dragon, and now looking for work.  I have been offered 9 cents per line, straight typing, no ESL.  I did some searching and it looked like 9 to 18 cents per line, but that's an Internet search, so not credible.  Thanks!  Going to take the position, because I think I can do okay.  Not the big checks, I'm used to, but see ...

What Is A Fair Hourly Rate?
Mar 29, 2014

Can anybody please tell me what is a fair hourly rate for a transcriptionist in a single-doctor office in Texas? The last time I worked as an MT in a clinic was 18 years ago. I then worked for a large hospital and made about $9 more an hour than my highest clinic pay. After getting laid off, I worked for N for a few months and have been out of the MT field for a little over a year. Thanks in advance! ...

FABER And S/l- Fair - Tests Are Negative??
Nov 17, 2009

Sounds like fair for the second test??  TIA!! ...

Webmedx,nuance Paycut On OLD VR PROGRAM Not Fair!
Dec 01, 2011

I have gone over my pay records over the past couple of years or so and my salary correspondence from this company with a qualified unemployment case worker. When I recently told her that now it appears they (wmx,nuance) are going to even cut my pay more the option I  have is to quit and then file an appeal. If the company were to try and fight me on ALL the cuts I have received in the near past I have everything to show the case worker to get the highest benefits ...

Update On Fair Hourly Rate Question
Apr 05, 2014

Last week I asked what you all thought was a fair hourly rate for a one-doctor clinic MT. I went to the interview on Tuesday. The job ad was for a "medical records transcriptionist." The office uses an EMR. The nurse practitioner uses the EMR, but the doctor uses a piece of paper that resembles the EMR screen and checks the appropriate boxes and writes additional comments. The job is to take those papers and input the data in the EMR. It's not actual transcription, no headset or foot pedal ...

What Is A Fair Rate Per Audio Minute? Is 0.6 Okay? I've Never Been Paid That Way Before
Apr 05, 2014

nm ...