A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Labor board or lawyer - XAX

Posted: Dec 03, 2014

in all seriousness, can this be done legally?  what about the state minimum wage...

the Labor Board should be notified or a lawyer to make sure this is legal. 

They have minimum wage guarantee. - AnotherAnon

[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot make less than your state's minimum wage. They "have" to pay you MUP just to keep everything legal.

Yes, MUP but if you get MUP - for too many paychecks

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're in big trouble. Just like now, MUP is the big NO-NO. They don't want to pay for nothing.

I just quit - two (different) part time jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
Because of this minimum line count to minimum wage ratio NONSENSE. Yes one job was with nuance so I am on the right board :)

NO WAY am I, with over 20 years of experience as an MT, going to be pressured into producing a ridiculous minimum number of lines at 99% accuracy and points off for too many blanks (need for QA) ALL AT lower and lower pay. Let me ask the board this: Does anyone think the CLIENTS of Nuance are getting break on fees because of lower and lower pay to employees?

This all smacks to me of modern slavery. And, while I am grateful to live and work in this country (nothing is guaranteed in life) I an opting out!

Apparently, there is an UNENDING TRAIL of highly qualified MTs, high producers, with near-perfect accuracy that these mega corps can AFFORD TO PUSH so many MTs out.

Here's what really galls me: the quality of dictation does not improve whether because of really bad ESLs or bad voice recognition but that is the LAST thing corporations want to try to fix (there will be no pressuring of the hospital clients with regard to quality of dictation).

Maybe the next generation of MTs will do just fine in the new world of MT-ing - after all they are coming IN TO THE FIELD with low pay and high demands, so this is the norm for the new generation. I wish them well :)

And for the record I don't think the Nuances out there are evil per se - after all they are providing a service AND providing employment. I just think their work model is very MYOPIC!

Now where did I put that vodka? (hee hee)
If they've cut the number of counted VR lines - in half, then theyve halved the pay.
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry, but a fifty percent cut in pay is totally UNACCEPTABLE.
The pay for VR wasn't cut in half. It is already half - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
of what straight transcription pay is (at least for me). On the new plan, while they will cut the number of counted VR lines by half, they will also be paying the same amount for typed versus edited lines then. 500 lines at 3.5 cpl calculates to the same pay as 250 lines at 7 cpl.
Spheris - Ring a bell? - mtingsucks
[ In Reply To ..]
Does Nuance remind anyone else of Spheris...big bucks for the head honchos..and then nothing for the rest of us...What goes up, must come down and growing this fast, becoming a number and working employees as hard as they can to keep bringing in money for their pockets...guess what - did not work for Spheris either when they took over Edix...I don't think it will work for Nuance either!

I sounds to me like that's how they'll be able to - get away with firing people - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
without having to pay Unemployment. HOWEVER, I don't think they've thought this one through. I'd start off with the Labor Board, but maybe a class-action lawsuit for fraudulent pay practices will be in order.

They clearly put the min wage blurb in there - to cover their butts and that

[ In Reply To ..]
right there tells you they anticipate issues with this pay plan.

But they can't legally expect to offer MUP, - then penalize those who receive it!

[ In Reply To ..]
What the heck is wrong with these people?

my kid is an employment attorney - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter is an attorney specializing in employment law. She is looking into many things happening right now for me. Pls don't email; I won't respond. No way I am risking giving away who this is but I promise to keep you posted if she finds any legal avenues Nuance employees can pursue. How ironic - MT USED to be a good job, good enough pay for me to put my kid through college! Now I don't think I could afford to send her to high school!

Labor board or lawyer - I'd call BOTH. - nmsg

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Question About Labor Board
Nov 02, 2012

Does anyone know, with an IC working in one state and the MTSO having her business in another state, which state I would file a claim with the labor board for wages not paid.  This is a minimal amount but this lady has one excuse after another, she has been sick, she had personal problems, her daughter had an appointment.  I am at a point where I am finished and want to file a claim with the labor board, she has too many personal problems/issues to be in business.  I will not ...

Got Answer From Labor Board - That Was Fast ! S/M
Jul 05, 2012

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Labor National Contact Center.   With regard to Record Keeping, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that employers keep accurate records of hours worked and wages paid to employees.   In connection with Piece Rate, employees can be paid in a variety of ways including a salary, hourly, piece rate, or commission basis. There is no requirement under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that an employee be paid in a certain manner ...

National Labor Relations Board, Says
Dec 09, 2014

discuss your pay in public as much as you would like. It is the law.  It does not matter if you have signed a nondisclosure statement on salary as that is not legal. If you are fired for talking about your salary you have legal grounds for compensation. Of course distributing copyrighted material is illegal, but you can talk about your work concerns and salary in public. It is the law no matter what a company tells you. You do not have to be part of a union. You have rights as an employee ...

Reporting Companies To Labor Board?
May 21, 2015

I am just curious...has anyone ever reported companies that don't pay you for your work? I have been reading posts about some of them particularly the one that has a new pay system where I think you all said you only get paid for 80% of your work?? How absurd. That has got to be illegal. I have provided the link to get you started. I reported a company I worked for 30 years ago in a different field who tried to withold my paycheck because I just quit without notice. All I had to do wa ...

Labor Board Contact On Previous MTSO
Dec 09, 2014

Anyone else hear from a wages & hours investigator from a Labor Board on a well known MTSO?  I do not want to reveal the name, as I think all should worry about this and don't want to tip off the one they are investigating.   ...

I Will Be Getting A Lawyer
Aug 12, 2011

First I need to apologize to the MTStars and its posters for having submitted material for which I was temporarily banned.  I should have, and did not, clearly apply their rules to my posts.  I have been re-instated and I want to thank MTStars for allowing my return. I am going to be seeking a lawyer and will be documenting as much information as I can.  Hopefully it will be a two-fold case:  The first addressing off-shore, and the second addressing our less-than-o ...

Just Spoke To A Lawyer
Jan 13, 2010

I spoke to a lawyer who knows some of the circumstances we will all face with the new HIPPA laws.  If you type a report and typed in a fax number or cc to a certain individual and it is wrong and gets sent to (that pizza company in the video), it all depends how the hospital, doctor, HIPPA and anyone else concerned on how they want to proceed with this situation.  If the doctor clearly states a fax number and an MT put the fax number in wrong and there are ways of finding out who did ...

Lawyer Contact
May 14, 2012

Will someone please post how to contact the attorney mentioned in so many of these messages.  I am ready to do that right now...might as well do something productive as I have NO WORK AGAIN TODAY!!! ...

What My Lawyer Said About FIESA
Jul 11, 2014

I was seeing my lawyer for other legal matters and asked him if he  knew anything about labor law.  He said a little.  I told him how we are paid by production, which includes providing our own computers, work environments at home, reading and responding to company email  and you know, every other little thing we have to do like searching for patients, etc., etc., etc., and now we are expected to log into FIESA and sign off on "errors."  He said off the top of his head, ...

Where Is The Class Action Lawyer?
Mar 03, 2010

There ought to be class action lawyers lined around the block to represent us!!! ...

Has Anyone Checked With A Lawyer About MM Not Paying For CCs And
Nov 26, 2012

demos when we're required to spend time searching and entering them?  How can we be required to spend hours and hours a week searching & entering "required" information but not be paid for that time or those lines?  Would it be a labor lawyer? ...

Went To Talk To A Lawyer Today....
Nov 20, 2014

.....been going on with my job as a medical transcriptionist for the last several years to see if I had any legal recourse (I don't).  Anyway, while we were talking I found out that he did not have a secretary/receptionst.  I told him if he was ever looking for one that I would be interested.  Then we got to talking about becoming a paralegal, and he said "you really don't want to do that".  He basically said lawyers can be jerks to work with, and when you are ...

Lawyer Bills And IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

The idea of class action lawsuits is to get their $500 an hour attorneys looking at mounds of info. You only get attention dipping your hand into their pockets, deep at that. They will take attention then. It is a very valid claim. ...

Letter From Lawyer Today -- Re Transcend
May 24, 2013

The letter offers me to join in a lawsuit against Transcend.  Have you received one, and if so, if you plan to join the lawsuit, would you share your reasoning?  Do you think one might be "blacklisted" for joining such a lawsuit?  Also, I do not understand how they can sue Transcend if it is now part of Nuance?  ...

When A Company Doesn't Pay And You Can't Afford A Lawyer...
Apr 03, 2014

You're pretty much out of luck, right? A company didn't pay me, and I can't afford a lawyer to sue them as I'm flat broke. Do I have any options to get my money? ...

I Did Return Lawyer's Call And Leave A Message
May 13, 2012

I have to admit, it was tough calling - it just makes it all the more real - wow, these companies really have screwed us all over for years!  It is a painful realization...I mean, you KNOW you're getting screwed over...but when you make contact with the legal system...it's real in a way it wasn't before. However...I'm glad I called!!!!!!  I'm hoping other people will call as well - maybe if this law firm can't take it on, there will be some other law firm ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...

US Fair Labor Act
Sep 20, 2011

(e)Study of effects of foreign production on unemployment; report to President and CongressWhenever the Secretary has reason to believe that in any industry under this chapter the competition of foreign producers in United States markets or in markets abroad, or both, has resulted, or is likely to result, in increased unemployment in the United States, he shall undertake an investigation to gain full information with respect to the matter. If he determines such increased unemployment has in fact ...

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Labor Trafficking
May 06, 2014

to consider MTs are victims of labor trafficking? And to the obvious comments about no one forcing MTs to keep their positions or don't be a victim...  This profession has been demolished by the greed of MTSOs and MTs were not part of the conversation (unless they were small MTSO owners who sold out or AAMT employees who sold us out).  MT has become an abusive and degrading job to have, no longer a profession.   Skip to main content U.S. Department of Healt ...

Labor Day And OOW, But Couldn't Have It Off?
Sep 01, 2014

I knew it....I am not a moron.....hiring all these MTs for these accounts, running OOW on a regular work day.....did they think we would all stay busy on Labor Day?  I am disgusted and am taking the day off.  I ask about being off.......NO.  Don't you think that managers could make schedules knowing the work is slow?  Let people off if they ask, making sure to have at least 2 MTs on in case some work comes in?  That is too easy a fix....let everyone just be OOW and ...

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

North NJA On A Normal Day, What Will Labor Day Be Like? NM
Sep 01, 2011

nm ...