A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Reporting Companies to Labor Board? - here is the link

Posted: May 21, 2015

I am just curious...has anyone ever reported companies that don't pay you for your work? I have been reading posts about some of them particularly the one that has a new pay system where I think you all said you only get paid for 80% of your work?? How absurd. That has got to be illegal. I have provided the link to get you started. I reported a company I worked for 30 years ago in a different field who tried to withold my paycheck because I just quit without notice. All I had to do was make a call to the Labor Board and I had my check the next day delivered by FedEx overnight. They are required to send you your paycheck within 72 hours after you quit regardless of how you quit and immediately if they terminate you, and they are required to pay you for all work completed and are not allowed to take ridiculous deductions that they made up, that much I know. I also complained about a different company I worked for years ago who had some bizarre payment practices and the company got investigated and ended up having to pay everyone what was owed. This was all done anonymously. In fact this link will tell you everything is kept confidential except of course if you are trying to get your own paycheck after you quit. So far, the MT companies I have worked for have always paid me, they just treat me like crap and that isn't covered by the Labor Board. If one of them ever tries to not pay me for work done, I will be contacting the Labor Board again. Also, I am pretty certain ICs are not covered by the Labor Board only employees. I just read that somewhere on the site below. http://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/howtofilecomplaint.htm

Thanks for that link...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
it was very helpful information. I put it in my favorites for future reference.

IC's CAN report company to labor board when IC designation - being used to skirt labor laws.

[ In Reply To ..]
...and in my opinion most companies in this industry SHOULD be reported for doing just that. There should be an industry-wide investigation by both the DOL and the IRS.

I reported mine (a small company) some - years ago, and LB shut them down.

[ In Reply To ..]

Complaints to Labor Board resulted in being paid minimum wage... - Linda

[ In Reply To ..]
rather than just the line rate, at least I think all the MTSOs are now paying minimum wage after the LB complaint against Landmark.

What about all the free labor we are required to do. I'd love to see someone sue for unpaid labor, i.e. researching prior reports on a mumblemouth, getting spelling and title of "doc Smith" or "cc to Jones in Dallas". The time clock stops with every single dictator error. We pay the price with no pay for correcting their errors. We are even fired because of poor dictators who don't allow us to maintain minimum production.

In the 80's I was in law enforcement. We were required to come in 16 minutes early for "briefing" and stay 15 minutes after for "debriefing". This was 30 minutes of unpaid labor per day. I took it to the Labor Commissioner and was awarded my hourly pay for all of those 15 minute intervals. I don't see why we can't do the same with the MTSOs. A large percentage, sometimes more than 50% of our time can be spent providing free labor.

Similar Messages:

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Question About Labor Board
Nov 02, 2012

Does anyone know, with an IC working in one state and the MTSO having her business in another state, which state I would file a claim with the labor board for wages not paid.  This is a minimal amount but this lady has one excuse after another, she has been sick, she had personal problems, her daughter had an appointment.  I am at a point where I am finished and want to file a claim with the labor board, she has too many personal problems/issues to be in business.  I will not ...

Labor Board Or Lawyer
Dec 03, 2014

in all seriousness, can this be done legally?  what about the state minimum wage... the Labor Board should be notified or a lawyer to make sure this is legal.    ...

Got Answer From Labor Board - That Was Fast ! S/M
Jul 05, 2012

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Labor National Contact Center.   With regard to Record Keeping, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that employers keep accurate records of hours worked and wages paid to employees.   In connection with Piece Rate, employees can be paid in a variety of ways including a salary, hourly, piece rate, or commission basis. There is no requirement under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that an employee be paid in a certain manner ...

National Labor Relations Board, Says
Dec 09, 2014

discuss your pay in public as much as you would like. It is the law.  It does not matter if you have signed a nondisclosure statement on salary as that is not legal. If you are fired for talking about your salary you have legal grounds for compensation. Of course distributing copyrighted material is illegal, but you can talk about your work concerns and salary in public. It is the law no matter what a company tells you. You do not have to be part of a union. You have rights as an employee ...

Labor Board Contact On Previous MTSO
Dec 09, 2014

Anyone else hear from a wages & hours investigator from a Labor Board on a well known MTSO?  I do not want to reveal the name, as I think all should worry about this and don't want to tip off the one they are investigating.   ...

My Expenses Go Up And The Mega-rich Companies Go Down With Sweat-shop Labor
Sep 26, 2012

I had a thought with the recent decision to not take a non-medical transcription job. I told the owner of the transcription company that I needed to be paid 8 cpl for this job and she was only paying 6-1/2 cpl. I told her that my expenses for everything are rising, food, shelter, gas etc. and she told me that the account that I would be doing this work for demands low cost for their transcription because of the work being sent to India, Pakistan, and the Philippines. This is a huge constructi ...

Used This Board For Applying For Companies
Sep 24, 2014

Many of the job inquiries go unanswered, yet got a FB request from a Vika Chopra who is out of India and looks like he has his own India-based MT service...??...wondered if anyone else has been requested to be his friend. ...

LOL Maybe Dr. H Will Be Reporting On The New
Jul 27, 2012

Whatcha think? :-) ...

Reporting USA Out Of Texas?
Aug 01, 2010

anyone work for them? ...

Court Reporting
Mar 03, 2011

As I have all of my eggs in one basket with medical transcription, I am looking into court reporting.  I have been in this industry for 20 years and I have seen the constant decline of this industry.   I am just curious if anyone has knowledge of court reporting and if it would be an easy transition.  I will primarily be focused on worker's comp depositions.  I don't foresee any problem with the doctor's deposition as I have the medical terminology down.  Thanks for any i ...

Reporting F11 On Self Care
Jul 28, 2011

I keep a log of my F11s and report then all at once, at the end of the day, like instructed since a couple of months ago.  I apparently left one number out of the IJ# last week and just got a phone call.  I got chewed out about ABUSING F11!    I got so angry that I argued back that as the person that is having to attempt to decipher a ESL dictator using a poor quality system with disgustingly poor audio quality that I should be given a MEDAL to have made heads AND tails ...

I Am Reporting Discrepancies Under The Help Tab
Aug 27, 2012

Is that the right place, cause have been doing it for over 3 weeks now and getting really frustrated...my comments are getting nastier and nastier by the day, would hate for no one to be seeing them. ...

Anybody Else Having Trouble Reporting
Nov 19, 2012

Log into Remedy and when I click report a problem-->report NJA, the screen turns blue and won't let me do anything. On hold with support, just wanted to check here.TIA ...

Under Or Over Reporting Hours
Mar 06, 2014

What difference does it make if we are over reporting our hours.  We don't get PTO any longer so what does it matter?  We r supposed to clock in and out when we get up to use the restroom or just stretch our legs.  Other people that work outside of MT don't have to clock in and out each time they get up to go to the bathroom then why should we?  That way we have to work an hour or 2 longer than we are scheduled just to get in potty breaks or leg stretching time!!!! ...

Reporting Time Pay
Feb 08, 2015

I had posted about this when I was still with the company.  I'm reposting this to help you all out, as when I had last posted about it I had emailed Nuance regarding the New York law.  I had emailed them regarding my shift, that I followed all procedures, and then I sent a .pdf of the New York State Labor statute regarding reporting time pay.   THEY PAID IT.  THEY ABSOLUTELY PAID IT.  My TSM was not happy and thought I had mismarked the time card.  HR/Payrol ...

Anyone Work For Heritage Reporting In DC?
Oct 10, 2011

it's a legal transcription that had a job listing late September and it has intrigued me.  Apparently they pay by the page, and I have no idea how that would work out. I also wonder about work flow/ does it dry up?  can you have backup accounts, etc etc.   Thanks in advance. ...

Reporting A Problem In Remedy
Sep 19, 2012

can anyone tell me how to report an incident in Remedy? I click on report a problem then the only choice I have is Report a hardware/software issue, report NJA or F11. There is nothing there about reporting a new incident?? ...

Radiation Dose Reporting - Sm
Jul 21, 2014

Regarding the DLP - I've seen it written variously mGy-cm, mGy•cm and mGy.cm.   Becuase it's a product, my inclination is think that the second (with the dot used as in mathmetical publications to indicate multiplication) is correct but just not sure.  Anyone have a definitive answer & reference?   Thanks :)  ...

Return Of MQ Equipment--reporting It As Stolen?
Aug 06, 2010

I am a former MedQuister who left over 2 years ago. I just today recieved a letter from MQ stating they have contacted me 3 times over equipment that had not been returned that belongs to them. As far as I know, I was only contacted one time, it was about 3 or 4 months after I had left, and I had returned my equipment about a week or two after I ended my employment. So...this letter says they will report the equipment as stolen to the authorities, will report $2000 value of equipment on a tax f ...

Has Anyone Researched Court Reporting Or Scoping? SM
Oct 19, 2010

All of my work seems to be going to EMR or voice recognition.  I have three kids and I need to stay financially stable.  As I hang on to my last account, I am looking to go back to school.  I dont know where to go.  I was thinking about court reporting and/or scoping work.  Does anyone know where I can find information on these careers? Better yet, does anyone have personal experiencing working within this field? ...

Has The Same Thing Happened To Court Reporting?
Nov 06, 2013

Just got to wondering. I know back when I made 50K doing MT, I was told court reporters were making twice that.  I never really understood what they do, some kind of shorthand machine? only I don't think they use that anymore.  So has their career gone down the tubes as well? anyone know? ...

I'm Going To Start Reporting Every Single Company That Is Advertising
Jan 21, 2010

...if it's obvious they are really looking for employees but want to avoid paying benefits.   Just how much abuse and illegal crap are we supposed to take in this industry. Enough already!! ...

Doctor Reporting Poor Quality Reports....
Feb 18, 2015

sooooo...I just received an email from the quality person of the day.  She said the client requested an audit of all reports for a certain provider based upon poor quality.  Two of my reports came up on this audit as being below 99.5.  These reports had 1-point errors on them because of omitted and/or inserted medical words.    I am not denying that I made the mistakes.  However, if there is a consistent quality problem with a certain provider, perhaps...and I kno ...

Going Back To School - Info On Court Reporting And/or Scoping?
Nov 06, 2010

Anybody have any info on court reporting and/or scoping? ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...