A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Maybe we MTs should start a writing campaign to hospitals/medical facilities... - Depressed

Posted: Jan 29, 2015

and explain to them how they could pay us more than we make now and STILL save money by cutting out the middleman.  I plan on writing to all the hospitals in the area where I live.  Maybe, just maybe someone will listen.  

hospitals saving money - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
They will not believe you. They have drunk the Kool-aid. I am being laid off in March, as my hospital is going with Ascend. He has promised them a 35% savings and they are starry eyed. I am guessing they will get what they deserve but once they have dismantled inhouse transcription, there is no going back.. is there?

You can thank obamacare..... - lindabell

[ In Reply To ..]
for some of this outsourcing. My hospital felt they HAD to outsource to be compliant with the EMR/VR mandate. So all 13 of us MTs out of a job a year ago. Doctors are unhappy, quality of reports and TAT is really bad...OH well, you get what you pay for.

outsourcing - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
I was outsourced from my first job where I worked for 27 years over eight years ago... way before Obamacare..

AGAIN, Obamacare has nothing to do with..SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
the EMR mandate. That mandate happened a few years ago, even before Obama was elected. If your hospital is telling you that's the reason they are outsourcing, they are full of crapola. I worked at a small hospital that wasn't spectacularly techno and even they had an EMR 13 years ago and they closed the MT Department 3 years ago. Also SR/VR isn't mandated by anyone. They just think they can get work done cheaper and faster that way.

I agree. This really started to take off when - HMOs started taking over healthcare.

[ In Reply To ..]
That's because HMOs could care less about maintaining the integrity of patient care. What they cared about was cutting care to bare bones, staffing to bare bones, and increasing corporate profits to obscene levels.

ACA mandates VR? Where are u getting that? - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
It's about money. If a hospital is using SR/VR it's to cut down on the # of MTs they have. If they outsource to a service and that service uses VR/SR it's to save the service money. Really? You may want to sit down for this one, EMR was here BEFORE the ACA. Your post was wasted and it detracted from the original thread, which is actually a very important topic and addressing the issue correctly is the only thing that could POSSIBLY save our jobs/businesses. You've received more replies than the OP, so far. :) Sad, but if anybody else was cleared up on this issue because of your statement... I guess that's a good thing.

Outsourcing decision is usually when - looking at buying new

[ In Reply To ..]
equipment to keep up with the rest of the hospital systems. The MTSOs offer full service with this equipment and the hospitals don't have to buy new technology, at least for their dictation and transcription systems.

A lot of people blame Obamacare for everything, whether it has anything to do with it or not!

Obamacare has INCREASED health care jobs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Millions more people now have insurance and are using the health care system now. EMR was inevitable and I think it is a good thing, overall. The biggest problem is the off-shoring of jobs that we all need to fight on a political basis.

(Sorry poster above me, I meant to post this under the Obamacare post).

MT started dying long before Obamacare, or - even Obama, for that matter.

[ In Reply To ..]
I started hearing the first rumblings of MT's implosion back in 1990.

A little over a decade ago, I worked for a doctors' office - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
that had been bought up by a group of hospitals. The hospitals had let go of their MTs and outsourced their transcription at 20 cpl. The doctors I worked for fought to keep me and figured out that had they paid ME at 20 cpl (instead of the $8/hour) I would have been making $40/hour. How does that save them money?

Obamacare - karina

[ In Reply To ..]
All I know is, when I had ENT work last year I was told that due to Obamacare regulations the ENT clinic was required to go EMR, that they didn't want to but that they would be penalized on their Medicare/Medicaid payments if they did not. And I totally believe that. Obamacare has regulations in place that promote us losing our work.

EMR does not mean the elimination of - transcription

[ In Reply To ..]
There are EMR systems that incorporate transcribed material into the electronic record. Three of the four accounts I work on use a system like that, and the fourth uses a form of VR.Some of the information (demographics, medications, allergies, and the like) is entered at the point of service, but the practitioner dictates a narrative of the clinical examination, imaging results, assessment, and recommendations. That is transcribed by human MTs and incorporated into the patient's electronic medical record.

The requirement for electronic medical records (EMR) does not exclude transcription. It is the choice of the facility to use an EMR system that eliminates transcription that does that. Obamacare had nothing to do with it. The push for the implementation of EMR began long before Mr. Obama became president.
EMR - karina
[ In Reply To ..]
That may be, but I know I had work and then I did not, thanks to his plan, and the ENT clinic had been with the company I worked for for many years and Mr. Obama did not help by implementing fines against companies that do not go EMR or penalties. Just like the tax firm I am working for. Clients are having to pay extra penalties for not having health care. It's too much control, and you cannot tell me he had nothing to do with that either. He had everything to do with it.
You're wrong. Mandating EMR does NOT equal - mandating MT elimination. (s/m)
[ In Reply To ..]
Most hospitals already were using electronic medical records for years. Obamacare was simply about standardizing the way hospitals kept their records. It had nothing to do with HOW those records were produced - whether it be by MT, VR, or doctor-generated documents. What caused your job to disappear was the availability and relatively low cost of non-MT-produced medical records at the time your clinic made the change. They were going to have to make the change to EMR anyway, regardless of whether Obamacare had ever existed, because to not do so would eventually have put them at a distinct disadvantage when communicating between doctors and other institutions. Had Obamacare happened 10-15 years ago, for instance, your clinic would likely have had fewer choices in software, and in how their work was produced They would likely have bought a transcription system that either their own MTs learned to run, or that linked them up with an MTSO, thus eliminating the MTs. This has already been happening for a long time, and the fact that it's speeding up now, and affecting ALL MTs and their jobs, is that the way we used to do it before is going extinct. They don't need MTs anymore, and as old doctors are being replaced by young, computer-savvy doctors, there's no longer the resistance to doing their own document generation anymore. Your work was going to dry up anyway. The fact that it did so now was because of what's available out there now.
EMR History - Pinky
[ In Reply To ..]
âBy computerizing health records, we can avoid dangerous medical mistakes, reduce costs, and improve care.â

--President George W. Bush, State of the Union Address, January 20, 2004

Regarding the tax penalty--I think this is right. I do not like to pay taxes for the consequences of people destroying their health when they smoke, do not wear helmets or seat belts, drink alcohol/sugar drinks, eat greasy snacks--why should I pay for their emergency care when they do not have health insurance? They should get insurance or pay a fine. So many people would rather spend their money on a pack of cigarettes or a flashy car than pay their own way with health care.
ha ha. are you joking? - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
They aren't penalized. They just get less money from the government for services. It's a REEEward for going EMR and EMR is to catch fraud. That's the whole deal behind that. And luckily, for everybody and their dog who want to change jobs and thereby insurance, the ACA (Obamacare) eliminated pre-existing conditions and the Congress didn't see it or we'd all be screwed. Some doctors won't go EMR because they figure it's enough money until they retire or whatever. :D Private insurance pays whatever it pays, however it pays, whenever it pays as worked out between the 2 parties (that's the doctor and the insurance not the political parties) ;)

They probably figured out your MTSO was gouging them and dumped them. Or decided to use the VR/SR or front-end drop-down menu that the computer developers wrote into the software to sell it to the clinics and hospitals. You should be mad at the boys that made it up, developed it, then peddled it to everybody. That's who cut you out of a job. And they told you for decades they were going to do it. IBM has been struggling with VR technology since the 60s or before. I just know that it was going nowhere and when Stanley Kubrick was working on 2001 Space Oddyssey he called his friend from IBM working on that to be a technical advisor for the movie - and he went.

You've probably never wondered how they named the computer, HAL. Well each letter is one up from IBM.

Da-DAAAANNN-dah-dah-dah-dah (insert appearance of monolith HERE!)

(Exit stage left.) And, yes, I said left on purpose. Wait for it. :)

I've had way too much coffee this morning and way too little work. ;) I need a job, I need a real job. Turns out MT is just my hobby.. all these years... just a hobby. Can't think...can't ...Daisy, Daisy... Dave what are you doing? Dave?
MTs gone wild - Rosie Jetson
[ In Reply To ..]
HAL, I think you are cute.

Must go make dinner and push some buttons.

A robot's work is never done.
I just got your name :D my caffeine has worn - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
off and now I have work. That's funny.

I feel like Cinderella after midnight. I'm wearing rags, missing a shoe, and now I have to carry this stupid pumpkin home.
Must commend you on this post - I had no idea
[ In Reply To ..]
That HAL was IBM down one, wow! Amongst other things. In fact, now I want to see the movie, which I have never sat through actually.

I have no problem with the EMR per se. We have all typed about drug seekers and for that alone it should be extremely effective.

As far as transcription - I just hope there are enough doctors who refuse to use the EMR for transcription of ops or standard letters to keep us going for awhile.

Some doctors I type have repetitive letters yet doggedly dictate again and again. I have to wonder if they are doing this not for themselves but because they realize we are in trouble and they don't want to do us out of a job.

A girl can dream, can't she? I like to think of them insisting on dictating the same way that I refuse to use one of those automated checkouts (besides the obvious, meaning I would probably make a booboo and have the alarms screaming), because why should I do that when there's a perfectly good worker there to do it?

What should happen when our jobs disappear due to EMR (or anyone's job due to any type of automation) is that we are offered retraining and also that the wealth created by this automation is spread so we get paid for retraining, paid more per hour, required to work less hours, etc., but that is not happening and probably never will. For shame.
I don't understand the movie. At all. - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
A salesman from IBM told it to me. I was working up a request for information the army put out for a huge contract wanting VR and all that jazz plus more. He was trying to tell me that it would never do what they were wanting it to do by itself.

I had a list of the participants and Medquist and I think dictaphone or DVI went together. I think that was when they started developing the stuff they use. Actually, a friend of mine, he was a QA for software development at the time, his friend worked on the software. Work being the key word. It was work getting it to work.

I'm taking computer science and the instructor said, "Computers are stupid." They are really, really fast but stupid. They need programmers to write for them to include every possible scenario.

So... they can make twice as many mistakes as us in half the time? Ahh, progress. I LOVE the smell of progress in the morning. :)
Thanks, you are a hoot!!! no message - kshel
[ In Reply To ..]
:D
Confirmation bias is a terrible thing to kick. - Alina
[ In Reply To ..]
You're confusing correlation with - causation
[ In Reply To ..]
Look that up. It's a good thing to know.
That is correct. But those who hate Obama will blame him rather than finding solutions - to issues
[ In Reply To ..]
for which they need to take personal responsibility.
It is just so much easier to blame Obama - than to go through all
[ In Reply To ..]
the trouble to research & educate yourself. Darn it! Wah!

EMR - patricia

[ In Reply To ..]
No, you can't blame Obama for all of this. But some of his regulations have played a role in it. Wake up, guys, look at how much our jobs have went downhill just in the last few years. When you go to file your taxes and pay penalties for not having insurance 12 months of year you may sing a different tune!
Which regulations? - deb
[ In Reply To ..]
Anything specific?

The clinic I worked at for years was already - on an EMR way before it was - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
ever mandated. We had EMR even before we were on the internet or had a website. EMR was simply a paperless medical record storage and retrieval system that we transcribed directly into. Back then, even with an EMR, MTs were absolutely necessary. It was the progression of the internet and VR capabilities that made doing away with MTs possible. HMOs were greedy, and enabled and encouraged greedy hospitals, which in turn spawned the proliferation of greedy MTSOs.

Greed begets greed. But Obamacare did NOT beget the demise of MT.

EMR was started by GEORGE BUSH in 2004 - EMR History Lesson

[ In Reply To ..]
Here are several links that give the history of EMR. It's been in the works for far longer than Obama.

http://www.healthtech.net/post-acute-care-blog/bid/114719/A-Brief-History-of-Electronic-Health-Records-EHRs

http://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/0406/0406.news_launches.html

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/infocus/technology/economic_policy200404/chap3.html

Outsourcing of medical transcription started over 20 years ago - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
where I live - way before Obamacare. It is just the greedy CEOs of the hospitals who have started this.

Just to weigh in, MTs have been heading for - none

[ In Reply To ..]
extinction for a long time. I would love to help any organization that supported more pay for MTs but, reality check. It won't matter. We edit. Although, I wonder what would happen if just regular, off the street, medical clueless person/typist tried to do what we do. This is an easy question. They wouldn't have a clue. You must not only know anatomy, physiology,chemistry to name a few. That type of report would the docs get if someone not trained to do this work tried to do it and sent it to a doctor?! I would love to see that. Depressing dead end.

I don't know about writing the hospitals but - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
there are things we can do. We are, after all, the people who do the work that makes so much money for everybody involved.

The first thing we can do is band together but that isn't going to happen en mass. So, next. A few of us can come together. We do share a common cause. Everybody has to be like minded, dedicated, and responsible. One bad apple tends to spoil the whole bunch or how the whole barrel is perceived (which is what we've been up against with outsourcing all along - bad press). You'll never work so hard as when you work for yourself.

I don't think it's too late because healthcare is, above all else, a business. And as long as any solution proposed makes good business sense it will be utilized. And cheaper, convenient, efficient transcription is what everyone is after. Emphasis on cheaper. Let's throw accurate into the mix as well, or is it just understood?

To depressed - Not going to happen

[ In Reply To ..]
I would like to see those numbers. When you factor in hourly salaries for an entire department, benefits, overhead and equipment costs, they are not saving money, especially when people expect to be paid $20 an hour. Your department also needs a manager who expects to be paid a hefty salary. I went through a department closure a few years ago and I have seen the numbers. It is not a cost saving to have in-house transcription. If you write to all the hospitals in the area, be prepared to show them some numbers and not just your subjective opinion.

Similar Messages:

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign For
May 18, 2012

MT Week (that begins Sunday) and what working MTs actually bring to "patient safety." Let us take meaningful action today and this weekend to regain MT Week as a week that TRULY recognizes the working MT. Ship Letters to the Editor off electronically and by snail mail to your local papers for publication in their print and online editions. AHDIs theme this year is "patient safety" in case you didn't know. What a joke and so self-serving! How about a theme of "The MTSO How-To Guide To Ensu ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign
May 20, 2012

It looks like I will be the 1st to post a letter to the editor that is going out. I will be hitting everywhere from the East Coast to the West coast and everywhere in between! Read on and feel free to edit for your own letters. Medical Transcriptionist Week (MT Week) began this past Sunday, May 20, 2012. The idea is to recognize and reward MTs over the course of a single week. The theme this year is Patient Safety. MTs all across the country, and in fact, around the world are transcribing your ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign Mt Week
May 22, 2012

By the way you have me mixed up with someone else who wrote a LTTE. The post you critiqued was the first draft of this particular letter. Thanks again for your constructive criticism. I loved it!  Version 2 and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more than you enjoyed Version 1 Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line d ...

How To Start A Medical Transcription Service
Mar 12, 2010

I have been a MT for about 6 years now and would like more information on how to start my own medical transcription service for clinics (not hospitals).  Tried find a book on it but could not find any information or even a legitimate website on where to start with doing this.  I have been an independent contractor for 6 years but now would like to venture into business and get my own physician accounts and actually hire other MTs to work for me.  Anyone that has done this that can ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Looking To Start Typing Medical Transcription At Home
Jun 21, 2013

I am looking to start doing medical transcription at home. I have 8 years experience in a family physician's office. How do I get started? What is a fair wage?  ...

What Licenses Do I Need To Start A Medical Transcriptionist Company From Home?
Jan 06, 2012

I am interested in starting a small transcription company in my hometown. I will be advertising to the doctors in my town. I was told to check with my local City Hall. I have been transcribing for 12 years for a local hospital, but I am interested in venturing out on my own. Thanks in advance for the advice. Mel ...

Power Of 10 Campaign
Sep 22, 2010

I just received an email from my company directing me to this Power of 10 link by AHDI asking for all MTs to donate 10.00.    Has anyone donated or do you plan on doing so? ...

I Typed For 13 Different Facilities Today.
Apr 20, 2010

Some of them were "sibling" facilities in a group, but all different specialties with different docs and their own CP's.  This is a regular day of typing for me.  Isn't that the pits? And I wonder why I can't type with any speed or confidence anymore?  I check and double check and listen and re-listen.  Long days.  ...

Yep, Counted Them. Typed For 9 Different Facilities.
Jun 28, 2010

They are all my "regulars."  Nothing new.  I don't even think I have a primary account any more; seems to be just first in-first out or something.    ...

Do Any American Doctors Work At VA Facilities?
Dec 21, 2011

Working on a VA account as backup and have had nothing but ESL.  Glad to know our veterans are being taken care of by foreigners. ...

I Firmly Believe That Facilities Are Being Asked To Try India MT's.
Jan 29, 2013

Why else do we have such sparse to no dictation? I think we get the left-overs and they are now sending to India, on a trial basis, those facilities that were a hold-out for USA.  I have never been this low on work. So far, I have NJA today. ...

Would Anyone Care To Share How Their Facilities Are Preparing For ICD-10?
Feb 18, 2014

We are taking refresher courses in Anatomy, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Medical Terminology and then of course ICD-10 and ICD-10-PCS.  It is A LOT to do in addition to our jobs.   It is exhausting.   Is this what you are experiencing? ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Why Don't Facilities Simply Demand 98% Accuracy From VR Vendors? (nm)
Apr 02, 2015

. ...

Facilities Cant Make Effort To Insist Doctors Dictate
Jan 18, 2012

the effort to insist that ESL learn to speak English as least good enough to be understood by the average patient, much less MT, and the doctors cant make the effort to dictate in a responsible, professional manner.  Yet, MT/ Ed are suppose to put in a super human effort to fix this mess, usually to the detriment of our paychecks. Why should we, last person to touch the document, be expected to take the time, which we do not get paid for, to make sense of this mess.  Facility  ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

Writing Prn
Jan 13, 2015

what is the correct way to write prn? I seen it as prn, PRN, and p.r.n.? ...

Technical Writing- SM
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone know about the field of technical writing?  It seems like it would be a logical next step for us.  Just wonder if anyone knows how hard it would be to get into that field, do you get to work at home, and so on.  I'm 50 years old and wonder if its just too late for a career change, but doing this MT/editing stuff for the next 15 years. . . ???? ...

Who Is Writing An Essay
Apr 24, 2012

I don't write essays very well, but this could get interesting. I'm mostly interested in the "How I Do It" essay. Maybe I could learn how to do this more efficiently...I don't particularly want to be mentored, so reading an essay might give me some better ideas. ...

Writing Times
May 08, 2012

Doctor dictated: Start time: 03/21/2012, 091446. What would be the correct way to write the time portion? ...

I Think The Writing Is On The Wall For Me
Dec 04, 2012

Okay, so I know what has been happening the past few months, but since it didn't affect me directly, I just kinda put it out of my mind.  But since the first of the month, my BOB is out of work during my shift (late afternoon/early evening).  This has never happened before.  Wondering if it is because daytime people are switching to later hours or my work is going overseas?  Not NJA yet, just unfamiliar work for the majority of my shift.  If this is how it's go ...

Writing A Number
Sep 16, 2014

Okay doctor states "white count is 13.8 thousand"  Any input on how that should be written?  Looks so strange to me.  Thanks peeps :) ...

Writing Out Gravida, Para
May 24, 2010

Doctor says:  G2, P2-0-0-2. How would it be written out? Do I have the format correct, or would it be: G2, P 2-0-0-2? ...

DocQScribe 6.1 - The Writing Is On The Wall!
Sep 03, 2010

I just took the online training today and did my first reports using 6.1.  The writing is definitely on the wall.  They are on their way to eliminating the need for MT's.  It's just a matter of time.  We are tightening our own noose every time we edit one of those reports.  This is definitely a catch-22. ...

Writing Axis Numbers
Dec 05, 2011

is  it six o'clock axis or 6 o'clock axis and then what is the correct way of 6:30 o'clock axis or six-thirty o'clock axis or is it 6:30 axis or six-thirty axis?????  Whew!!! ...

Would Someone With Writing Skills Please Create A -sm
Mar 04, 2015

descriptive narrative for the MTs who have or will be leaving this company, to go along with the ones we recieve when the VP and such leave.  I mean really..we need to be ackowledged for our committment, dedication, accomplishments, etc.  Sarcasim is encouraged! ...

When Writing A Medication List Do I Put Commas?
Aug 26, 2010

When writing a medication list do I put commas? 1. Xanax 1 mg dispensed #64 sig one tablet three times a day no refills. 2. Prozac 40 mg #30 sig one tablet daily no refills. 3. Stelazine 2 mg #60 sig one tablet twice a day with no refills. ...

Company Unwilling To Put Compensation In Writing
Dec 17, 2011

Nuance is stating that they are unable to put their new compensation/incentive program in writing because it is "propriety information." Is that even legal? Don't you have the right to have your compensation in writing? ...