A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Facilities cant make effort to insist doctors dictate - in understandable fashion, they cant make SM

Posted: Jan 18, 2012

the effort to insist that ESL learn to speak English as least good enough to be understood by the average patient, much less MT, and the doctors cant make the effort to dictate in a responsible, professional manner.  Yet, MT/ Ed are suppose to put in a super human effort to fix this mess, usually to the detriment of our paychecks. Why should we, last person to touch the document, be expected to take the time, which we do not get paid for, to make sense of this mess.  Facility wont make effort to fix this, doctors wont make effort to fix it, why should we, the lowest paid of the bunch, be expected to do so?

There are certainly 2 sides to this coin. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, it is your job to do the very best you can. Your transcription/editing should be perfect and if it is not, it should only point out the the inadequacy of the person dictating it, and make it evident to them.

I usually have no trouble transcribing/editing for ESL physicians. In fact, sometimes they can be the better dictators. Having said that, we do have 1 doc on our account who is the worst of the worst. In fact, he is too lazy to even say some of the words. He has been spoken with concerning his manner of dictation. It did no good. QA has sent in his reports to him with blanks all over them. It does no good. The MTs and QA have spent an enormous amount of time on his work. I could spend 45 minutes on one of his reports for about 50 lines. Ridiculous. He is absolutely a danger to patient care. He could do better, I have heard him, but normally he chooses not to. It is my hope that the facility will spend an enormous amount of time on his reports and point this out as well. Why shouldn't the person dictating be held to the same high standards as the transcriptionist? HE is the danger to patient care. Now I just do the very best I can, making sure that what I can do is perfect, and I do not spend the excessive amount of time on his work that I have in the past because QA is not getting it either. Now if QA or other MTs could transcribe his work, then I would have to say I need to brush up on my listening skills.

There is much cherrypicking on this account around his work, so I end up with much of it. There is a plus side to this. I am learning more and more every day. I believe I am able to transcribe for him better than most, so I get faster doing it. At least I am making lines while the other MTs are waiting for his work to be cleared out.

I feel your pain. Those guys are out there who can make life miserable.

Puulleeze. I understand what my job is and nowhere did I - say I shirk on my duties. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no problem doing my job, I just expect the two entities responsible for this report before I get it, to do theirs. Btw, I didnt read your post past that first sentence.

Well, if you did not read my post past the first sentence..... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps that is the root of YOUR problem. It states that if another MT or QA can do the work, you should be able to also. If not, then the doctor is the danger to patient care and there is little you can do about it. I am sensing that your holier than thou attitude towards a simple post that you responded to, and did not read, may have much to do with it.
Comprehend much? I CAN do the work, why cant they be - expected to do theirs? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
s
Comprehend? You respond to posts you claim you do not read. - Your problem is evident.nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Back at ya. I did read the second post completely before posting. I did - go back later and read the 1st one. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Btw, my pulleeze post was response to 1st sentence in your - post, which I read. Attention to detail. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
are you going to beat this dead horse every week now? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If so, can we look forward to being called names again?

http://forum.mtstars.com/370459.html
And will you also be expecting agreement and sympathy? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I expect nothing - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Makes sense to respond... - Oh Boy

[ In Reply To ..]
...when you don't know what you are responding to.
Did YOU read the thread. Think not. Said I did not read past - 1st sentence. That is what I responded to. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I think you must be a very unhappy person - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

This is issue is all on one side of that coin. ALL should be - doing THEIR job, no putting it all on us. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Your experience with one dr is irrelevant to this post, imo. - I know my duties, dont they know theirs? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

A nice post was written in response to your's. - What do you expect?

[ In Reply To ..]
A nice post was written in response to your's, and look at the mess you have responded back with!

What is it that you expect? There is simply no answer to your problem, unless it is you, which is becoming increasingly clear. The poster actually agreed with you, and told you not to worry about it too much if it was not your fault. You can't control what the doctors do, only what you do! Now, we all see what you do when a courtesy is extended to you, which actually may be the problem to begin with.
I want sympathy and agreement, Not can I do my job, not - what happened with 1 poster with 1 doctor. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
You did get the agreement. Sympathy - PULLEEZE!!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
OMG! GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!! - =P
[ In Reply To ..]
z
Yeah - no one ever realized this was a problem! - On to more interesting posts. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Because the low man on the totem pole... - Looking

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear your frustration, and I'm with ya! It is RIDICULOUS, highly preventable, and even DANGEROUS (adversely affecting patient care), yet it continues.

The answer is BECAUSE we are the low man on the totem pole! They are NOT going to "bother" the docs with the god complex by asking them to clean up their act.

It's called the fool chain, and we are the bottom feeders - No Message

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I am extremely lucky my client does address this! - luckyladyinca

[ In Reply To ..]
My contact or "boss" assists me in every way possible to ensure dictation is clear, even putting the landline back in when they VOIP'd me and ensuring physicians separate out one patient per job number, as all affects TAT. My other clients are fabulous in this regard too; hence my name--luckyladyinca. Bless her heart!!

welcom to the world of transcription-the part they don't - tell you in school. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
wheee - I'm working at home!!!
Well...It's not all that, is it.

It's been like this since the beginning of time and doctors will never change as much as poor me wishes it were different. As for the foreigners - you'd think they'd pick it up, but realize these people do not 'think' in English - would you go around thinking in French if you lived and worked in France? Can you roll your tongue and enunciate like the Spanish? Doubt it.

This is CRAP - gp

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what I am saying for the past 2 years, we are not employees, we are VICTIMS.

Agree, those who cant dictate in English should not dictate , if they try to dictate, it would end-up sounding Chinese.. and ASR ends up being CRAP to clean.

Peace of advice to facilities... update your dictators "sentence forming skills" and ur Dictaphone or whatever ur using it in ur facility.

Similar Messages:

Do Any American Doctors Work At VA Facilities?
Dec 21, 2011

Working on a VA account as backup and have had nothing but ESL.  Glad to know our veterans are being taken care of by foreigners. ...

Where Do Doctors Dictate?
Oct 13, 2011

Ok, I'm curious, but can doctos do their dictations anywhere? A lot of times, I hear a bunch of doctors in like some sort of dictation room. You can hear other doctors doing dications. I just picture a bunch of people in white coats sitting at a desk talking into a phone. lol. Other times it sounds like they're in an emergency room while an emergency is going on. People are asking for things, things are clanging around. Sometimes it sounds like they're in their own home. Had an ...

To Doctors, PAs, Any Who Dictate: When You Are
May 14, 2014

dictating a lengthy report and mentioned a dozen different doctors, do not say at the end, please cc all above because I will NOT do this.  I will not take another half hour to read your report and cc all noted physicians.  You get paid the big bucks.  Use your time, not mine that is paid by pennies!!!! ...

Please Tell These Doctors How To Dictate
Feb 01, 2015

So tired of going in an out of the ADT screen, choosing just patient because they don't dictate a day until part way through the dictation, or the referring physician. I honestly think, if someone told them it would make our lives easier they would comply..And I know this is dreaming, but dictate the CCs at the beginning of the report so it is easier to find the names and spell them correctly when you dictate them throughout the report. And by all means at the end don't say please cc ...

Why Do A Lot Of Doctors Who Dictate Letters To
Jun 05, 2014

or sometimes even within the state don't bother to spell the doctor's name?  There are a million doctors on the account hospital list, and if it's anything unusual (most of the time), I go crazy trying to sound it out and looking for it. :p  Of course, if the doctor is out of state, 99% of the time it's not even listed.  I hate doing correspondence.  Was doing all operative reports before this for many years and liked that much better.   ...

Alternative For Doctors To Dictate...
Jul 24, 2014

I am moving soon and need to find an alternative way for the doctors to dictate where it is made into a voice file that can either be sent automatically or accessed from a site.  I have a system for that using NCH Dial Dictate and Express Delegate, but not sure I can transfer the numbers they are using to another state, so trying to figure out alternatives to an old desk top computer with windows XP, modem and phone ports.  Geek Squad told me they can't even get phone ports for mo ...

Doctors Really Need To Be Retrained To Dictate.
Aug 03, 2014

Doctors need to be taught to dictate for the ASR transcription! They haven't a clue that this is how their work is being done and they need to know how to dictate properly for these new times. I am sick and tired of the Kool-Aid drinking TSM and QAM who try to tell us that we are not training it right and how wonderful it is the need for corrections is great, otherwise we would not have jobs. We don't deserve the torture of working for pennies for correcting output of their serio ...

Women Make Better Doctors Than Men
Oct 18, 2013

Women Make Better Doctors Than Men A gender divide in a field that was once overwhelmingly male By Jeffrey KlugerOct. 17, 20134 Comments         in Share17  Read Later Getty Images  Email    Print Share   Comment  Follow@TIMEHealthland At least that’s what a recent study of diabetic patients found. But the boys shouldn’t pack up their doctor kits yet. In a new r ...

Doctors Make Me Feel So Uncomfortable
Nov 20, 2009

when the account is verbatim and they speak so incoherently.  Why do they do this and yet expect a perfect report?  I am to type exactly what they say because it is "verbatim", but their actual speech makes both of us look pretty stupid and I resent having my name associated with the report.  Anybody else feel the way I do?? ...

Gum Chewing, Sandwich Eating, Potato Chip Eating Doctors Make Me Want To Puke
Apr 03, 2011

nm ...

OK, I'm Going Back To School In An Effort To Get Out Of The MT
Mar 26, 2010

tar pits.  I've narrowed my choices to Physical Therapy Assistant, Radiology Tech or leaving healthcare all together and becoming a Paralegal.  I though about nursing school, but in the end ruled it out as my sister has been a nurse for 25 years or so and stopped enjoying her job about 20 years ago.  She says it's all paperwork and covering everyone's behind more than it is taking care of the patient.  Plus she's just not happy in her work. I ruled out la ...

I Get So Frustrated About The Effort I Give With The Consequent
Jul 24, 2011

lower line count than others. When I look at ASR reports done by others (account is 99.9% ASR), I see such shoddy work. Obviously others are not taking the time required to listen and edit properly. It frustrates me to no end, especially as I teeter at making the minimum count. ...

I Typed For 13 Different Facilities Today.
Apr 20, 2010

Some of them were "sibling" facilities in a group, but all different specialties with different docs and their own CP's.  This is a regular day of typing for me.  Isn't that the pits? And I wonder why I can't type with any speed or confidence anymore?  I check and double check and listen and re-listen.  Long days.  ...

Yep, Counted Them. Typed For 9 Different Facilities.
Jun 28, 2010

They are all my "regulars."  Nothing new.  I don't even think I have a primary account any more; seems to be just first in-first out or something.    ...

I Firmly Believe That Facilities Are Being Asked To Try India MT's.
Jan 29, 2013

Why else do we have such sparse to no dictation? I think we get the left-overs and they are now sending to India, on a trial basis, those facilities that were a hold-out for USA.  I have never been this low on work. So far, I have NJA today. ...

Would Anyone Care To Share How Their Facilities Are Preparing For ICD-10?
Feb 18, 2014

We are taking refresher courses in Anatomy, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Medical Terminology and then of course ICD-10 and ICD-10-PCS.  It is A LOT to do in addition to our jobs.   It is exhausting.   Is this what you are experiencing? ...

Why Don't Facilities Simply Demand 98% Accuracy From VR Vendors? (nm)
Apr 02, 2015

. ...

Maybe We MTs Should Start A Writing Campaign To Hospitals/medical Facilities...
Jan 29, 2015

and explain to them how they could pay us more than we make now and STILL save money by cutting out the middleman.  I plan on writing to all the hospitals in the area where I live.  Maybe, just maybe someone will listen.   ...

In An Effort To Assist MedQuist Posters -- SM
Jan 09, 2010

Please see the sticky note at the top of the MedQuist forum.  I have researched information for you to give you some direction.  There are contact instructions/leads on the web pages at the links given.  Please do not contact MTStars for more information.  Contact your local employment office (now called the Department of Workforce Services) for more information. Moderator   ...

How Will YOU Dictate?
Feb 03, 2010

I see a lot of MTs returning to school and often in the medical profession.  Since the industry seems hell-bent on having all the transcription done in India, will that influence how you nurses and psychologist dictate when it is your turn to dictate, or will you be so relieved to be through with this tragedy that you won't even think about it?  Just wondering.  ...

New # For DICTATE
Nov 04, 2010

Just tried calling DICTATE (1-800-342-8283) to report outage and got message that the number has been changed, or no longer working...  Used it yesterday, but who knows any more....  Anyone have another number for DICTATE?  At least with these posts they can't tell me that i am the only one...  Getting so tired of hearing that.  ...

Cc Or ML, If They Dictate Cc....
Jan 20, 2011

I was always told to change it to mL.  ????? ...

I Dictate
Nov 17, 2014

Has anyone worked with or know anything about IDictate? Possibly losing current position so I am looking for something just in case. ...

"There Was A Time When Doctors Were Doctors" By James Ong
May 06, 2014

From the KevinPho MD site:   There was a time when doctors were doctors. There was a time when young men and women sacrificed the best years of their youth, learning to treat patients and conquer diseases, not to become typists, paper pushers, data-entry clerks, or to have hospitals, insurance companies, and the federal government dictate to us how to practice medicine.   There was a time when doctors were trusted. There was a time when we were not guilty until proven ot ...

I Just Love It When They Dictate...
Mar 27, 2010

...in the middle of an airport runway.  At least it sounds like that.  It's especially so lovely with ASR, picking up as it does every random conversation in the area. ...

Is It Just Me Or Is This The New Way To Dictate Dates?
May 16, 2013

More and more frequently, I am getting dictators who say, "the patient underwent the procedure IN 04/11/12" or "the patient underwent the procedure ON April 2012."  It's just a little thing that's kind of annoying because you have to change the IN to ON and vice versa, but it's happening so often, I'm wondering if that's now an acceptable way to say it and I'm just not in the know.  Anyone else get this? ...

Learning To Dictate The RIGHT WAY?
Jun 04, 2013

I am an experienced nurse practitioner with seven years of experience. Now that I am working in an acute care environment, I am required to dictact all of my consultations. I have a template from which I am dictating. But from the results of my transcriptions, I could use some help from medical transcriptionists on how to dictate the RIGHT WAY. Of course, I was never taught how to dictate. I was taught how to use the telephone to dictate, but I was never taught the right way to dictate clearly ...

Did You Ever Stop To Think How Much Better You Could Dictate
Dec 15, 2013

than some of these idiots who you have to muddle through on day after day after day ad nauseum?  I am transcribing this dictator tonight who has had one patient with "infantigo" and on her "review of symptoms" she dictates "Eyes" as a subheading by itself then does HEENT later on in the review. I would be so organized if I were doing this, I would have a standard sheet for every patient with ROS and PE, then just fill in the blanks and note any abnormalties.  It would be so easy for us ...

Dictate Express - Come One, Come All, To The
Apr 10, 2014

greatest job of them all - You can be an MT here for a whopping........WAIT FOR IT........0.05 CPL!!!!!!!  Plus you can pay your own taxes and never get a paid vacation!!!  Just when you think you've seen it all.  Let's not all trample each other lining up to apply.  Please - can we all realize we're better than this and deserve better than this and not apply to these places that low ball us like this?!!??!  I think these companies will keep just seeing ho ...

If The Dictator Does Not Dictate 99.7%
Apr 15, 2014

then it is insane to expect to transcribe 99.7%.  That's all. ...