A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why don't facilities simply demand 98% accuracy from VR vendors? (nm) - Amber

Posted: Apr 02, 2015

Do you work for an MTSO? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you do, your MTSO has the VR, not the facility. The 98% accuracy IS what the facility contracts for, and they don't care if it is from VR, MTs, or monkeys.

Well... - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're working for an MTSO, it's not the VR vendor's fault. It's the MTSO's fault for putting any and all dictators on VR. If you work for a small office, it's still the office's responsibility to only put dictators on the VR who should be on VR, then it's the dictator's responsibility to edit as he or she goes along while dictating.

And so I quit MT... Ptooey.

I thought the facility bought the VR as part of the EMR package. - Amber

[ In Reply To ..]
But the MTSO chooses and buys the VR program? Thanks.

They might, but ... - Informacist

[ In Reply To ..]
When a facility buys an EHR, they might also get a front-end SR system, but if they do, that is not the dictation going to any MTSO.

That dictation does not go anywhere. The doctor speaks TO THE COMPUTER IN FRONT OF HIM and it is transcribed straight into the record. He makes any changes. It is signed right then. No MT. No editor.

If the hospital keeps an MTSO, that dictation is completely separate. It is dictated by phone to the MTSO's dictation computer, which sends it through back-end SR and on to an editor.

I think a lot of MTs confuse EHR with SR, or somehow think the main purpose of an EHR is storing the reports they transcribe,like its main function is just dealing with (and taking away) the work MTs do.

That is understandable, but not the case. Dictated reports like you transcribe are only a smallish part of an EHR. There are huge sections that handle lab, path, imaging, cardiac and other monitoring equipment, surgical procedure management, order entry, medications, a section that checks for drug interactions and assists with medical decisions, physician notes, nursing notes, documentation from other caregivers like respiratory therapy and social work, and loads more. Way more than dictation.

Similar Messages:

EMR/EHR Vendors Want To Eliminate MTs
Mar 13, 2010

http://www.thehealthcareblog.com/the_health_care_blog/2010/03/its-not-about-meaningful-use-.html ...

Software Vendors
Feb 11, 2011

For four months now I have been researching software vendors to upgrade my very small transcription business. So far it has come down to Medikin and Infraware. Has anyone worked on both of these and did you prefer one over the other? ...

Simply Amazing, We Are To Depend On Email
Oct 02, 2013

that little spinny thing has been spinning for half hour..Closed it out and tried again and the spinny thing keeps on spinning..You would think they could do better..And Windows Live Mail sends a message server refused to connect.. ...

Has Anyone Been Penalized For Not Reaching Required Lines When There Is Simply No Work To Do?
Nov 06, 2014

I keep running out of work and cannot work a 12-hour shift simply to make lines needed. ...

I Typed For 13 Different Facilities Today.
Apr 20, 2010

Some of them were "sibling" facilities in a group, but all different specialties with different docs and their own CP's.  This is a regular day of typing for me.  Isn't that the pits? And I wonder why I can't type with any speed or confidence anymore?  I check and double check and listen and re-listen.  Long days.  ...

Yep, Counted Them. Typed For 9 Different Facilities.
Jun 28, 2010

They are all my "regulars."  Nothing new.  I don't even think I have a primary account any more; seems to be just first in-first out or something.    ...

Instant Text - Expand Simply By Typing In The Abbreviation And Hitting The Space Bar?
May 03, 2013

Does anyone know how to expand simply by typing in the abreviation and hitting the space bar and then it will expand the abreviation? ...

Do Any American Doctors Work At VA Facilities?
Dec 21, 2011

Working on a VA account as backup and have had nothing but ESL.  Glad to know our veterans are being taken care of by foreigners. ...

I Firmly Believe That Facilities Are Being Asked To Try India MT's.
Jan 29, 2013

Why else do we have such sparse to no dictation? I think we get the left-overs and they are now sending to India, on a trial basis, those facilities that were a hold-out for USA.  I have never been this low on work. So far, I have NJA today. ...

Would Anyone Care To Share How Their Facilities Are Preparing For ICD-10?
Feb 18, 2014

We are taking refresher courses in Anatomy, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Medical Terminology and then of course ICD-10 and ICD-10-PCS.  It is A LOT to do in addition to our jobs.   It is exhausting.   Is this what you are experiencing? ...

Facilities Cant Make Effort To Insist Doctors Dictate
Jan 18, 2012

the effort to insist that ESL learn to speak English as least good enough to be understood by the average patient, much less MT, and the doctors cant make the effort to dictate in a responsible, professional manner.  Yet, MT/ Ed are suppose to put in a super human effort to fix this mess, usually to the detriment of our paychecks. Why should we, last person to touch the document, be expected to take the time, which we do not get paid for, to make sense of this mess.  Facility  ...

Maybe We MTs Should Start A Writing Campaign To Hospitals/medical Facilities...
Jan 29, 2015

and explain to them how they could pay us more than we make now and STILL save money by cutting out the middleman.  I plan on writing to all the hospitals in the area where I live.  Maybe, just maybe someone will listen.   ...

Which Is In More Demand
Apr 13, 2010

I am trying to figure out what type of coding to take.  Which is in more demand?  CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P  or something else?  Thank you ...

Can An IC Demand Hourly Pay Or Does It Have To Be Cpl?
Nov 06, 2009

Can an IC demand hourly pay or does it have to be cpl? ...

We Need To Demand More Pay As A Profession
Aug 06, 2010

Just need to vent. I have been a medical transcriptionist since the late 1980s and I have seen the trend to cut our pay consistently over the years. It look over 20 years for me to gain the experience I have, in most specialities I might add.  It is very disconcerting to have a company offer 7 to 8 cpl with my experience.   Now, with voice recognition (which it seems most of the larger companies out there have), our pays are cut even more so.  I might add, at least for me, ...

They Wouldn't Have To Demand
Oct 02, 2012

they would put people on their strength worktypes and specialities instead of put us on what we are the weakest at and then complain b/c they are constantly out of TAT.  Just amazing to me how we were asked what our strengths and weaknesses were and after that email, I was put on my weakest out of everything.  Perhaps I am the only one to realize that if you were given the work that you are strongest at, you would be able to go through it faster, but not with Nuance, they seem to thin ...

Those Telling You MT Is In Demand
Mar 18, 2013

Please don't listen to those telling you that MT is in demand. Those are either schools. or recruiters who work for MTSOs. I suppose we could twist this to mean that MTs are still needed, but what they don't tell you is that the pay is horrendous these days. That being said, if one still chooses to do it, go in with your eyes WIDE OPEN and remember these posts......   ...

What's The Most Obnoxious Demand You Have Received?
May 21, 2012

One I found irritation was the doctor calling at 11:30 at night for stat transcriptions...on a regular basis. I had another client who used a recorder and spoke into the speaker instead of mic. Another would dictate an entire paragraph, v e r y s l o w l y, and then say "scratch that" and start over. ...

100% FIESA Review Demand
Jun 12, 2015

You WILL check your FIESA alerts and you WILL do it now. We WON'T pay you for your time and we WON'T care that your unpaid efforts will result in a decrease in your already abysmal pay. Just DO it. Yeah--right. I'm gonna respond to THAT request--not. ...

When They Demand & Threaten To Force You To Work OT,
Mar 29, 2012

they can count me out.  When I feel like part of a team & am asked nicely to help when they're backlogged, I'm more than happy to help.  I think the power goes to some of their heads.  We're not children... ...

Demand-type Myocardial Infarction?
May 02, 2014

Patient has COPD, pericarditis, and emphysema. One of the dx listed s/l "demand type" myocardial infarction. This is for a cardiology followup note. TIA ...

Swap Board....back? By Popular Demand?
Apr 06, 2015

Apparently, my team (lucky us) has been selected to participate in a pilot to bring back the Swap Board.  If my memory serves me correctly, it was a ginormous disaster the last time they tried to force it upon us.  This on top of the back log of work, mandatory overtime and switching accounts?  Really?  Am I in the Twilight Zone?   ugh...first resume sent last week...more to follow for sure. ...

I'm Starting To Demand To Know A Line Rate In Initial Contact W/company
Feb 06, 2011

... or they tapdance around the question, I'll bluntly refuse right then and there. I saw some positive remarks, so I thought, on here not long ago so I applied to FastChart.  Then after that, find comments about their low pay rate.  I just got a response back from them after about 2 weeks.  Unless someone is truly desperate and needs to take anything they can get, please try to start demanding a line rate before you waste your time testing and jumping through all those hoo ...

Hackers Demand $10 Million After Hijacking Millions Of Virginia Medical Records
Dec 22, 2009

This was in a UK paper but I don't recall hearing about it here in the US. Hmmm.....I wonder why.  Here's the link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1178276/Hackers-demand--10m-ransom-hijacking-millions-medical-records.html ...

OOW? Just Simply "flex" Your Hours.
Aug 21, 2013

I absolutely hate when I am told to just "flex" my hours. I have contracted for work within a particular time frame. If no work is available during that time it is not a simple matter of just "flexing" my time. My life is not that "flexible". I have kids, husband, house, school to deal with sweetie.  Try to not over hire so many MTs to get that awesome TAT. Try to not send our work overseas to save a few cents.  How about that waiting time pay sweetie?  Does that not apply when we ...

98% Accuracy
Sep 30, 2011

I find it ironic that ad after ad on the job boards here and others on those pathetic Indian websites that go on and on about wanting only the best, blah, blah, and 98% accuracy, when their are typos throughout their ads, and we pay beggar wages to boot! ...

Just Under 99% Accuracy
Oct 24, 2012

I've made lots of 100% accuracy scores, but I just saw that I made a 3.0 Critical error on a VR dictation at Nuance.  It was where the doctor said a medication amt that sounded very much like another amount.  I have been extremely careful with the medication amounts and the laboratory values, but made this mistake!!   Anyway, that brought my accuracy to just under 99%.  I want to go back and listen to that dictation again, bet it was hard to tell the difference in t ...

99.6 Accuracy?
Jun 06, 2013

I just heard that Mmodal is requiring 99.6?  Just blinked my eyes a couple times.  This can't be true, right? ...

99% Accuracy
Sep 04, 2013

With Nuance's high standards and QA picking apart every report, I am feeling pretty down on myself.  I question my ability to do my job.  I question every comma, every word, and dread waking up to this job for fear of making mistakes.  It isn't a good feeling.  I have been in this field since 1992 and have never felt so incompetent and stupid. ...

99.7% Accuracy
Mar 29, 2014

99.7% accuracy when told to a recent business school graduate. Sure 99.7% accuracy is what they strive for in production of goods in a factory..To try for 99.7% accuracy in a job that has as many variables as transcription is a completely unrealistic goal. Speech patterns alone of different people makes errors almost inevitable. What they are striving for is an impossible goal. Hum, wonder who is running the company because this is from a 22 year old ...