A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am too old to start The Andrew's School for Medical Coding - Suzie

Posted: Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends:

I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for your time. 

Fondly,

Suzie

Suzie - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not too old. At 70, I am beginning a new venture. Don't but into the baloney sausage that is ageism. You can do whatever you want to do.

Well, in this new economy, you might have to keep working for 20+more years. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
And I think it's a good idea to prepare for a new career.

No! I do not think you are too old. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You're definitely not too old to start a new career. If nothing else, learning something new is good for our brains. We never get too old to learn. It keeps us younger and smarter.

You are never too old to learn something - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
new. I have been an MT for 37 years, was laid off, and am currently 61 and started a coding class. Your knowledge from being a medical transcriptionist will help you immensely with this course.

Are You Too Old - Not Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Only you can answer that question. You're the only one in possession of all the pertinent facts. For myself the answer would be, "Heck, no". I did not take the Andrews course (though now I do wish I had). At age 59 (after 6 years of being an MT--which by the way, I learned and started after early retirement from a totally different career),I enrolled in health information management classes at my local community college. I took only 2 or 3 classes each term. I finished the course in December. Because I don't feel confident that my community college course adequately prepared me, I am now doing an independent review and preparing to take the CCS exam in April. I'm 61 years young now and still working full time as an MT, but not for long! Everyday brings me more proof that going back to school and getting into position to get out of transcription and into coding was the best thing to do (for me). Hope this helps you decide

They have no age limit ;-) - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Maturity tends to be respected in coding. It is a highly responsible job.

Coding is intellectually challenging, so it should help you keep your smarts. An article I read a few days ago said that computer games were being developed to keep memory intact longer. The problem is that they only work for a few monhs. As soon as you figure it out, you have to move to something new. Coding is always changing, so when I read that I thought that it would be the perfect brain-training game.

Where I work, we have more than 30 coders. We nearly all have trouble with microscopic print in the code books. We sent back an entire order of code books a few years back because we couldn't read them. Our encoder has a magnifying function. We have to be sure to use a larger font on training PowerPoints, too.

Maybe 3 are under 40. Most are 50s to 60s and we have one in her 70s. They are all very stable, sensible people.

I think the AAPC might have figures on coder ages. It definitely is not a young group. Meetings are full of mature people. I don't think you develop the patience and fortitude to do it until you are older.

I think you are a fine age to learn coding. You will need to be or become able to present a distinguished appearance, but I don't think you should think twice about your age.

Heck, no. You're younger than me, and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm enrolling later this month. Go for it.

andrews - anne

[ In Reply To ..]
I started January 2, and I am 57! I am in great health and figure I will be working at least another 10 years, God willing! I am continuing to work as an MT and studying when I am done with work and on days off. Loving it so far, go for it!

The Andrew's School - Suzie

[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Anne:

I am going to start the Andrew's School medical coding in April or May. Right now are you studying medical terminology and pharmocology? if so, do you feel that your medical transcriptionist background is helping? I would love to keep in touch with you since you are a transcriptionist and you are studying at the school I am going to attend. Let me know if that is okay. thanks.

Fondly,

Suzanne
Suzie I e-mailed you my contact info - anne
[ In Reply To ..]
See your e-mail!
Me too! - Sue
[ In Reply To ..]
Hey guys, I'd love to keep in touch too. I have been doing MT for about 17 years and really want to start Andrews but can't get myself to do it. I am 46 and think it's a good time to take the plunge.
Taking the plunge - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
You might want to examine your reluctance to see what is behind it. What is holding you back?

Inertia? Actual fear of change? Those are normal responses, but might not be in your best interest with this.

Do you fear that learning something new will commit you to doing a new job? Why? What is wrong with learning something new for the sake of learning? Don't you want to keep your mind active? Studies are showing that it prevents cognitive decline.

Are you afraid of the cost? My guess is that you have enough unused or little-used items around your house to put a dent in the deposit. You probably spend enough on things you can eliminate to put another big dent in it. Total up what you spend on unhealthy things like soda, pastry, Stouffer's and Sara Lee type foods, cookies and snack foods, ice cream, frozen treats, sugary yogurts, candy, canned fruit, and mints and gum to see how far that will take you. How about cable TV or the premium channels, movie rentals, or gym memberships that you do not really use? How about drinks with the girls, drinks with just you, or smoking?

Just eliminating $5 a day at Starbucks will give you at least $100 a month. $1 a day in soda is another $30. $2 a day in soda is $60. A package of cookies at $3, a coffee cake at $4, a tub of ice cream at $4, a candy bar, an order of wings, a slice of pizza or a big pretzel at the mall ... it adds up. You might also save the price of a gallon of gas by driving fewer miles. (Depends on your car and where you like to drive.)

Speaking of gas, most students who enroll in local schools never think to add the gas to their cost estimate. The also omit books, clothing, and food away from home, and never consider that travel time is lost study time.

This is not to say that you should deprive yourslf, but just to point out that you might already be spending as much as you would on education, but not noticing it or thinking it is a necessary expense.

No matter what your reasons are, you might want to recognize that now is better than later simply because of ICD 10. Getting this done NOW will probably pay off in that more jobs are expected to become available as Oct 2013 comes up. You want to be trained and certified before things start changing. I would want to get finished so that I could take the CCS by February of 2013, before they suspend administration pending the switch.
Don't know - Sue
[ In Reply To ..]
I really don't know what is holding me back. It is a big investment, but making payments wouldn't be a problem. I love to learn and go to school, so it's not that. ~ I'm thinking it's because I have worked from home for 18 years and if coders have to work in a hospital or clinic, I'm not sure if I want to leave the comforts of my own home. The pay would be much better than what I'm making now for sure, but is it worth the money? I don't know. If I know I could code at home, that would probably be enough to make my decision. ~ Maybe if I talked to a coder that went through Andrews or is currently enrolled in Andrews, that might help too.
Have you researched the field? Because (sm) - MT2coder2
[ In Reply To ..]
if you had, you'd see that MANY coders work from home now. All the coders where I work do. Look at the jobs postings on the AAPC forum, in Advance for HIM magazine (free), etc. Know what you're getting yourself into.

As for me, I am selling things (want to buy a brand new foot pedal or a U2 box set?) and revising my taxes from the previous several years because I realized there were a whole lot of deductions I was eligible for, but didn't take. With those plus OT plus my 2011 tax refund plus general miserliness in the short term, I will be able to get the $1000 together here soon.
Good for you! Remember the yardsale idea. - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I know a lot of coders who work remotely. Some work on-site for their primary job, with a remote position for their secondary. I also know many who work at one site doing work for other sites. In my multi-state organization, we call it remote and/or flexiplace.

I recommend that everyone use the term "remote" rather than at-home. At-home sounds very unprofessional. It has an envelope-stuffing, mommies-in-jammies quality to it. Clients do not respect "home workers." They do not trust them and perceive them unfavorably.

More on working remotely (sm) - MT2coder2
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't remember where I was online, but I've stumbled upon ads for remote coders for a Dallas hospital system where one could live anywhere in Texas and one for the University of North Carolina where one could live anywhere. I'm sure if I actually tried I could find tons more. My employer requires on-site training for a few months, but then you're cut loose.
Gonna do it - Sue
[ In Reply To ..]
Great info. And I agree that "remote" does sound better than at-home. I will contact Andrews this week and go from there. Thanks for all the helpful information and websites.

Suzie - LeeLee

[ In Reply To ..]
How old will you be if you don't go? I heard that from a woman that went back to law school at 65. Yep, she graduated, too and has done quite well for herself. Go for it girl. Look at this way. If you complete the course, you have a new career. If you totally hate it, at least you will not be wondering what if?

Also, if you hate it you can . . . - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
. . . make good use of what you learned providing volunteer medical bill assistance to senior citizens.

Seriously.

Similar Messages:

I Will Be 56 Tomorrow And I Would Like To Attend The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Aug 27, 2012

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and tomorrow I will be 56.  I would like your opinions as to whether you think I am too old to start studying for a new career in medical coding.  I 100% sure that I want to attend the Andrew's School for Medical Coding.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 11 years having attended M-TEC and I love this profession, but I see that the career is shrinking and there are less opportunities.  I think my background as a transcriptionist wo ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Just Signed On To A Great Coding School Today - Start On Monday
Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeli ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

I Am Enrolling In The Andrew's School Next Week And Am Getting Nervous
Jan 24, 2011

Hi. My name is Suzanne and I am enrolling in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding next week, on Tuesday February 1, 2001 and am getting nervous. I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to know if any thing I have done in the last 10 years, such as medical terminology and anatomy, will help me. Of course I will take that part of the course, but I want to know if that will help. Also, I am most nervous about deciphering the codes. I guess what I am asking is how do I know I will be a goo ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

I Am Deciding Between The Andrew's School And Career Step. I Would Like Some Recommendations On
Jun 12, 2010

Dear Coders: My name is Suzanne Lasky and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to go into medical coding and am have decided through many months of investigating different schools between The Andrew's School and Career Step.  I would like to know your recommendations, what you think of the programs and pros and cons of both.  Thanks so much.  Fondly, Suzanne ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

I Start School In 8 Days!
Aug 12, 2013

I am so freaking excited! I hated college the first time around and didn't finish. I didn't know why I was there, nor what I wanted to do. This time, I'm super psyched to go back. I'm so glad I'm finishing my degree, learning again, accomplishing something, but especially taking steps to leave MT. Anyone else starting school this month? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

Wanting To Start Coding Classe
Sep 30, 2010

I have been wanting to start coding classes; however I am worried it will be outsourced like transcription.  ALso I need to work from home and I hear it is hard to get started.  I have been an MT for 5 years. Any advice?  I dont want to pay for school and it be outsourced. ...

Going To Start Training In Coding ASAP
Jul 07, 2013

I am going to start training in coding ASAP.  I have been a transcriptionist for many years in house, and it is time for me to go.  My hospital does not offer tuition assistance for coding.   I need advice.  CCS versus CPC -- which is better paying or is there a difference?  I work with someone with a CPC-A.  Is that apprentice degree something you HAVE to do, because I'd rather avoid that as much as possible.  CareerStep Versus Andrews -- From what I can tell, CareerStep is affilli ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

Coding - Getting The First Job After School
Jan 21, 2013

Question for all the coders - A young friend of mine is about to graduate from a community college with a 2-year degree in Healthcare Administration, with a good deal of her school work covering coding, billing, and insurance. She will have a new baby soon and wants to work from home as a coder (or other close field, if you can suggest one). I think I know the answer (if coding is like MT), but, is that possible? What companies, if any, hire newbies, or what is the best way to get ...

What School Did You Go To For Coding?
Jul 27, 2013

What school did you go to to learn coding? Do you feel it taught you enough to be a good coder? ...

In 2003 I Went To Coding School, I Am Also An RN
Mar 02, 2010

I can't find a job.  Sometimes it is because I am too old. maybe my coding experience is too distant. Anyone know anyone who got a got thru the board.   Thanks Maria ...

Coding School - Already Know 75% Of The Coursework Having Been An MT
Jul 14, 2010

I am taking an online coding and billing course and the frustrating thing about it is I already know 75% of the coursework having been an MT for 100 years. I know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, the anatomy of a medical record, etc. So I skip through and take the module test and move on. There are those on this forum who say MT experience doesn't help when transitioning to coder/biller. Can anyone elaborate on why they say this? ...

Feedback From Those Of You In Coding School
Aug 13, 2010

How are classes going for you?  Is coding what you thought it would be?  I have to say that there is much more to learn than I thought there would be but I really enjoy the research that is involved in the coding process, it is so important to read everything!  Learning the sequencing of codes has probably been the most difficult thing for me so far (I'm having trouble with the septicemia codes), but I understand a little more each day.  The ICD-9 coding guidelines defin ...

What Coding School Did You Enroll In?
Dec 10, 2010

I received a response from my previous post about coding. Can any of you post what schools you were enrolled in, now or in the past. There are so many out there. I thought I would be able to get a few from you, so I could their their respective websites. Also, did most of you enroll for online education or go onsite to school. Thanks. ...