A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Am I too old to start a career in medical coding - Suzie

Posted: Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends:

I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.  

I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  

The second question is am I tool old for training to become a medical coder.  

Thanks for taking the time for answering my questions. 

Fondly,

Suzie 

CODING - gltrgrami

[ In Reply To ..]
Your never too old, and certainly 56 is not too old. As far as a career in coding, at this point, I think it's a better choice than transcription. The only hurdle you will be facing is getting employment once you finish school and get certified. Most places want at least 2 years of coding experience. Who knows if it will be outsourced? I'm sure M*M is working on that too! Good luck to you ;-)

that's my biggest concern - not offshoring

[ In Reply To ..]
but I have read so many here and elsewhere saying they couldn't find a job once they finished the training. I can believe it, because I know we never hired MTs without experience either. Most of the students they sent over from the schools for clinicals were just not ready.

All employers prefer experienced applicants - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Employers prefer experienced applicants. This has always been the case in EVERY field.

Inexperienced applicants typically have to work their way into and up in a career field. This may involve taking jobs near to, if not exactly what, you aspire to. It might involve taking developmental or "OJT" positions.

There isn't anything wrong with that. You don't expect to STAY in those jobs, after all. You learn and move on, either moving up in that organization or into another one.

Yes, you do see a lot written by people who couldn't finish the job once they finished the training. What you do not see are the people who GOT a job--they are't disgruntled, so they don't complain on internet sites.

I know lots of coders who were once inexperienced, but they found jobs and leveraged them. I once had no experience in coding, either, but I took a we'll-train-you position at a hospital where I worked in something else, used my MT training to good advantage, and ended up getting higher level training than I would have otherwise, moved into higher positions quickly, and now I'm posting annoying stuff on the internet.

Several other people here were successful. One, in particular, had no MT or medical background at all, so she really began from scratch.

A lot of school programs do not prepare students well for working. That is true regardless of the field. You have to choose your coding program carefully in order to maximize your preparation so that you have enough to pass certification exams, pass employment tests, and make a good impression.

Not all coding programs are alike. The fact that they are called "coding" or have "coding" in the name does not mean that they teach the same thing. Some programs teach medical front office, not coding. Employers will not hire you into a coding position with that, but you might get a job behind a front desk in a doctor's office. Some teach only outpatient physician-services coding, which would enable you to get a job doing that, but would not prepare you for inpatient hospital coding. So, you have to be aware of what you're signing up for and, if you want to maximize your job potential, you have to choose the school accordingly.

Check to be sure that there are jobs available in your area. You need a lot of medical providers to support coding. Remote areas aren't really good for finding coding jobs, especially since remote work isn't all that common yet.

This is going to be just like everything else . . . you will need to really work at getting a job. It isn't hopeless, though, and I think that coding is perhaps better off than other careers right now.

There's definitely at least a few years left in it. - MT ''naysayer''

[ In Reply To ..]
If anything, I'd say it would be a better career choice for an older person than a younger one because of the likely eventuality of more offshoring in the hopefully far distant future. As has been said, getting your foot in the door would probably be the main issue, but that's going to be true of just about anything at our ages.

Reply - Amber

[ In Reply To ..]

No, of course not! You're not too old and I would very much encourage you to explore your options. You might want to look into getting ICD 10 coding training because as of October 1, 2014, the ICD 10 coding system will replace the ICD 9. So it's best to get a headstart while you're still ahead and get the training you need. :)

No, of course not! You're not too old and I would very much encourage you to explore your options. You might want to look into getting ICD 10 coding training because as of October 1, 2014, the ICD 10 coding system will replace the ICD 9. So it's best to get a headstart while you're still ahead and get the training you need. :)

Similar Messages:

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

CODING SCHOOL - Where To Start?
Feb 07, 2014

Can anyone give me an idea where to start and how to choose an online class for coding?  I've looked at so many and need a better idea of what the most important aspect I am looking for is?  Andrews, Codingcertificate.org, Careerstep, etc. HELP please! ...

Wanting To Start Coding Classe
Sep 30, 2010

I have been wanting to start coding classes; however I am worried it will be outsourced like transcription.  ALso I need to work from home and I hear it is hard to get started.  I have been an MT for 5 years. Any advice?  I dont want to pay for school and it be outsourced. ...

Going To Start Training In Coding ASAP
Jul 07, 2013

I am going to start training in coding ASAP.  I have been a transcriptionist for many years in house, and it is time for me to go.  My hospital does not offer tuition assistance for coding.   I need advice.  CCS versus CPC -- which is better paying or is there a difference?  I work with someone with a CPC-A.  Is that apprentice degree something you HAVE to do, because I'd rather avoid that as much as possible.  CareerStep Versus Andrews -- From what I can tell, CareerStep is affilli ...

Coding Career Question. Sm
Apr 21, 2010

I just responded above that I am researching schools now to change from MT to coding. However, after checking the want ads for about a month now there are hardly any ads for a coder. What other positions would a coder be qualified for? I am afraid to waste my time and money, only to get out of school and find there aren't any jobs available. ...

Coding Career Question
Sep 22, 2011

What are the opportunities for coding within a specialty medical clinic, i.e. orthopedics?  I am currently halfway through a coding course and I feel like I would be happiest working within a clinic rather than a hospital.  I just wonder what opportunities exist and what the average salaries would be for outpatient coding within a clinic.  Do these jobs even exist?  Or would a job within a clinic also include billing and other related duties, not just coding reports all day ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Do Any BOOKS Come With Career Steps Coding Program?
May 11, 2010

or is EVERYTHING on line.  Wondering how hard it would be to backtrack to study for exams? ...

Just Signed On To A Great Coding School Today - Start On Monday
Mar 28, 2014

I'm one of those that had a high enough test score to get into MModal's program but didn't quite make it.  I had already been looking at one of the Coding schools but wanted to give myself a week or so to think it over and not make a knee jerk move after being passed over by MModal.  Today, I picked up the phone and signed on with the school I've had my eye on and I start on Monday!  I'm actually reeeeally excited - and surprisingly I'm actually feeli ...

Advice Needed On Coding Career And Getting My Foot In The Door
Jul 25, 2011

So, I've been an MT for 8 years.  Previously, I did medical billing.  I am so burnt out from doing MT and having a dead-end job that I am working towards my AA degree in Health Information Management, then want to get my bachelor's, then would like to go to graduate school for Health Care Administration.  Anyway, if want to become a coder, as I am working my way up the HIM ladder, would it be wise for me to take a job in medical billing first?   I don't ha ...

How To Start A Medical Transcription Service
Mar 12, 2010

I have been a MT for about 6 years now and would like more information on how to start my own medical transcription service for clinics (not hospitals).  Tried find a book on it but could not find any information or even a legitimate website on where to start with doing this.  I have been an independent contractor for 6 years but now would like to venture into business and get my own physician accounts and actually hire other MTs to work for me.  Anyone that has done this that can ...

Looking To Start Typing Medical Transcription At Home
Jun 21, 2013

I am looking to start doing medical transcription at home. I have 8 years experience in a family physician's office. How do I get started? What is a fair wage?  ...

Career Step Medical Transcription
Jun 09, 2012

Where to start? I was the top MT at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs Regional in Waco, TX. I have also been a proofreader for a top notch advertising agency in California and my first job was as an MT. I type 90 wpm. That said, I have not been able to find a position as an MT because I didn't have 'credentials'. So I researched the web and decided to spend my hard-earned money on Career Step. I passed the 1st portion of the test with 97% which actually more of a grammatical testing ...

What Licenses Do I Need To Start A Medical Transcriptionist Company From Home?
Jan 06, 2012

I am interested in starting a small transcription company in my hometown. I will be advertising to the doctors in my town. I was told to check with my local City Hall. I have been transcribing for 12 years for a local hospital, but I am interested in venturing out on my own. Thanks in advance for the advice. Mel ...

Maybe We MTs Should Start A Writing Campaign To Hospitals/medical Facilities...
Jan 29, 2015

and explain to them how they could pay us more than we make now and STILL save money by cutting out the middleman.  I plan on writing to all the hospitals in the area where I live.  Maybe, just maybe someone will listen.   ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

Career Change After 20 Years Of Medical Transcription
Dec 22, 2013

Anybody got any ideas for a career change for someone that has been doing medical transcription for 20 years? ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...